Weird ways to create characters or campaigns.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Roll 3d8's for attributes, no re-rolling ones and no bonus roll for a 16 and above.

This gets you an attribute that is between 3 and 24. I also use the RUE low att rules.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

We roll three time for each stat and pick the best, usually.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

never will use it for PCs unless I just give a (fecal matter) but Lee's Useless Superheroes does wonders to relieve some tension in a game
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

humans roll 8 stats as per the rules then place to taste all other races roll down the stat block.
exploding die rule applies to all races and all stats not just the ones that are 3d6.
skill limits are only applicable at character creation.
HP, SDC, PPE, & ISPall start at max.
MDC PCs must random die roll for MDC.

and of course all of these are subject to alteration based upon the needs of the preliminary plot...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

New characters roll three sets of stats, and pick the one they like best. If they don't like any of them, they can roll a fourth set, but they must use that set. Stats are assigned down the sheet in the order rolled.

That said, overall I prefer systems that use build points during character creation (e.g. Champions) and leveling. Someday I'll have to figure out a set of house rules to do Rifts character creation/leveling with build points.

Brent
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

the_robot wrote:This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.

I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Nulsyn wrote:
JTwig wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).

Umm it is printed in a lot of them. Its not someones houserule someone wanted to know what it is.

Ah, I understand. I was just thrown off by the post combined with the title of the thread. My bad!
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Weird ways?
Well, on my very first Rifts game I had my players, who knew almost nothing at the time, point randomly at a map of Rifts Earth, then gave them some OCC/RCC options from the area they pointed at. The fun part was the one that pointed at that funny landmass in the Atlantic. Heh. From there I worked out what I could.

Actually kicked off my most recent campaign similarly, basicly said "Alright, pick whatever kind of character you want from anything Palladium, I'll figure out the rest." Fortunately I have relatively reasonable players, the most powerful character is very likely the Pleasure Bunny Barmaid. :lol: :quiet:
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”