Question about Dragons?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Warm blooded.

Dragon Blood is not only poisonous but steaming (sometimes scalding) hot.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

sawg138 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Warm blooded.

Dragon Blood is not only poisonous but steaming (sometimes scalding) hot.

Isn't that just the fire dragon from RUE?
I don't have RUE (yet).

I was quoting readings from other texts including Palladium Books Presents Gods and Dragons (which includes conversion notes for Rifts™)....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Definitely warm blooded.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Question about Dragons?

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

walross1978 wrote:Just wondering if you guys know if Dragons are considered reptiles and cold blooded?

Nope, they're warm-blooded mammals.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Warm blooded and when wounded the blood is scalding hot for the few moments ( may be longer, I dont have the books in front of me ATM).
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

They are specifically stated to be mammals in the books. Apparently, they're monotremes, like the platypus and echidna.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I'm not so sure a dragon would be a considered a mammal?

Isn't one of the main characteristics of being a mammal having body hair? Unless your speaking about the Wooly Dragon... I don't see much body hair on a dragon.

Also another main criteria is that the females have mammary glands(produce milk). So where are the dragon breasts? So does drinking dragon milk give you supernatural strength?

Dragons lay eggs & most mammals don't lay eggs.

(The platypus and echidna which are the only two mammals that lay eggs.) I personally think those two species are incorrectly classified. (Enchidna's don't have teeth, which is needed to be classified as a mammal.)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Yep...but all and all...a dragon is a supernatural creature like many other weird and stranger monsters in Palladium Fantasy and really don't qualify for any of the normal animal classifications.

I don't think science has even considered breathing fire, teleportation, or the number of other worldly abilities and powers for animal classifications.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lukterran wrote:I'm not so sure a dragon would be a considered a mammal?

Isn't one of the main characteristics of being a mammal having body hair? Unless your speaking about the Wooly Dragon... I don't see much body hair on a dragon.

Also another main criteria is that the females have mammary glands(produce milk). So where are the dragon breasts? So does drinking dragon milk give you supernatural strength?

(The platypus and echidna which are the only two mammals that lay eggs.) I personally think those two species are incorrectly classified. (Enchidna's don't have teeth, which is needed to be classified as a mammal.)

regardless of logic, The book clearly states they are mamals.

Therefore, Mammals are something different in Rifts :)

Maybe humans are called reptiles...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that Dragons are nether mamale nor reptiles, they are Creatures of Magic, so don't folllow what bounderies mundains fall into.

But if the book says they are mammals then they are warm blooded.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

coldblooded dragons

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Dragons would in my opinion vary according to species in their body temperature. A fire dragon would have very hot blood, while an ice dragon's blood definitely be cold.(In a story in the Rifter, it mentions a temperature close to that of liquid nitrogen.) I'd make a great horned dragon just plain old ectothermic,but suffer no ill effects from cold. And as far as I'm concerned, they lay eggs and are similar to reptiles.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

First, dragon are creatures of magic, second a dragon is according to the books a mammal and third, cold blooded depends on the species like an Ice Dragon.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
DrBeau
Wanderer

Unread post by DrBeau »

"Cold-blooded" is kind of a misnomer. If the the OP meant cold-blooded as "does the dragon need to rely on external sources for it's internal body temperature", then I dragons are warm blooded. If the OP meant "is a dragon's blood physically cold", then I would say the answer varies (Ice dragon is cold, fire dragon is hot, etc.).

Warm and cold blooded don't really refer to the temperate of the blood, but to the body's ability to regulate it's own temperature. Mammals regulate their own temperature, reptiles do not. Dragon = mammal...dragon = warm-blooded.

Also, it's don't let the scales fool you into thinking it can't be a mammal.
Example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

This concludes our biology lesson for the day.

Also, they're Creatures of Magic...who cares how their bodies function?
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

And lots of things lay eggs and maintain a consistent body temperature - birds. As to platypus and echidnas being misclassfied, they aren't. They're mammals for a variety of reasons that separate them from reptiles, like fur and milk production for instance.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:Just wondering if you guys know if Dragons are considered reptiles and cold blooded?

They are not mammals they do not feed their young milk.

They are warm blooded reptiles.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

duck-foot wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

They are not mammals they do not feed their young milk.

They are warm blooded reptiles.

or birds :-D
None of the above...sort of.

They don't nurse their young (nor do they have mammaries in the first place), so they're not mammals.

They are not creatures specifically adapted for flight, nor do they have feathers, ultra-light endoskeletons nor even wings of sufficient size to keep aloft their massive bodies (in fact, canon states them as being at home even in a vacuum, which suggests magically propelled flight even thought they still do need functioning wings to do so), so they're not birds.

And nothing besides their general shape and scales even suggests that they're repitles; certainly they're not cold-blooded as we understand the term in the real world, nor are their brains hardwired or primitive (reptiles don't have things like pleasure centers or even the so-called Rat Brain).

In short, Dragons are cool creatures that serve only the purposes of Kevin introducing his version of the most "beloved/famous" monster in all of fantasy gaming....and like most things in Gaming in general and Palladium Books :D in particular, they fall short under real-world scientific scrutiny.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

cutlass wrote:If you value your life and/or sanity you'll never ever refer to a Dragon as reptile, mammal, bird or whatever.
Usually "master", "oh great shiny glory" or "Most exquisite fiery death from above." will keep you alive.

:lol: :-D :lol:
NOW you're talking.

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Lukterran wrote:I'm not so sure a dragon would be a considered a mammal?

Dragons fail the 'mammal' test at an even more fundamental level, since they're not even tetrapods. Three limb girdles does not a mammal make; of course, this also completely excludes them from being amphibians, reptiles, dinosaurs, and avians as well. :lol:

Now, canon (as of Palladium Fantasy at least) says they're mammals, which I assume to be a case of simplification on the part of the writers. It's easier to label them 'mammals' than 'warm-blooded, mammal-like supernatural creatures that resemble reptiles' or somesuch. :D Warm-bloodedness isn't a unique trait to mammals, anyway: the birds are warm blooded, as were (possibly) the dinosaurs, and some modern-day reptiles are part-time warm blooded (weird as that is).
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg

Return to “G.M.s Forum”