Grrrr.....

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Grrrr.....

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

I have lost all but 2 players to WoW. And the 2 players I do have can't play on the same night. I feel like i've been in a group lull for about 5 years now (could be more just afraid to admit to myself about it). I'm just frustrated. I don't mind the vice of WoWing, but geeze, ..........blah :frust: Its enought to make me sell all I got and wash my hands of it completely. But I know there is somebody in my little corner of the world just waiting to game. Now if I could only find them.(*GM: make a perception check...oh! a 1?...sorry dude!)
Just need some support from the those who know. :(
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Re: Grrrr.....

Unread post by Marrowlight »

wolfsgrin wrote:I have lost all but 2 players to WoW. And the 2 players I do have can't play on the same night. I feel like i've been in a group lull for about 5 years now (could be more just afraid to admit to myself about it). I'm just frustrated. I don't mind the vice of WoWing, but geeze, ..........blah :frust: Its enought to make me sell all I got and wash my hands of it completely. But I know there is somebody in my little corner of the world just waiting to game. Now if I could only find them.(*GM: make a perception check...oh! a 1?...sorry dude!)
Just need some support from the those who know. :(

I'd give a better answer to this post, but I'm too busy playing WoW.

8-)

With that said, how many gaming stores do you have in your area? Could always start an aggressive recruitment drive. If that fails, and it probably will, I'd hit the local college and see who is hanging out in the geekier parts of it.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

do a 'meet the game night' .. canvas the .. *unsure of the ages involved .. sorry*

but yeah .. try the gamestores bookstores and that sorta thing

host it at your house, and set out some light snacks. and if it works cool ... if people can game on one night and others on a different night ...
run the same game, but with 2 different groups.

it would be interesting for group A to find evidence of group B pasing before and having whatever from foom 2589 ... thus group A will try harder to get to the next room's treasure. just try to make sure they don't quite cross paths right away.
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

lol
thanks guys. I've tried a lot of things. Fact of the matter is, we have one game store and its filled with stat mongers, ccgers, and table top strategy. i was really just needing to vent and find that there are others here that suffer the same way that i do.
Marrow!!!! :thwak: that was an awesome response, just what my grumpy butt needed.
What I'd really like to try is this Python2 virtual table top in combination with Vent or Teamspeak. I had a short game played through that a couple of times. Despite not knowing how to use the map veiwer and some of the coded processes it was quite fun. Actually all i used was the dice roller. And I used an IM to send images and pm's. As far as pbp or by chat room, don't have the patience or typing skills. lol
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

gadrin wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

can't...breathe...must...have...air...<gasp>...laughing...too...hard... :lol:

wolfsgrin wrote:Marrow!!!! :thwak: that was an awesome response, just what my grumpy butt needed.

And my work here is done. :)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

gadrin wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
And my work here is done. :)

Your sig is right. You are diabolically clever :D

Please, don't feed his ego... :-P
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

new power!!! feed the ego: the more compliments he gets the more power he gains. level up powers he already has.
Marrowlight
Knight

wolfsgrin wrote:new power!!! feed the ego: the more compliments he gets the more power he gains. level up powers he already has.

I'm closing in on Epic Level. :-D

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

wolfsgrin wrote:new power!!! feed the ego: the more compliments he gets the more power he gains. level up powers he already has.

OMG! :eek: :lol:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

gadrin wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

can't...breathe...must...have...air...<gasp>...laughing...too...hard... :lol:

Marrowlight wrote:
With that said, how many gaming stores do you have in your area? Could always start an aggressive recruitment drive. If that fails, and it probably will, I'd hit the local college and see who is hanging out in the geekier parts of it.

walk around with a Rifts T-shirt and a copy of RUE. I mean it worked for that guy on TV running into the supermodel with the D&D book, right ? :P
I missed that one...

???
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

wolfsgrin wrote:I have lost all but 2 players to WoW.

Couldn't your game do what WoW does, but considerably better?
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Noon wrote:
wolfsgrin wrote:I have lost all but 2 players to WoW.

Couldn't your game do what WoW does, but considerably better?

well I thought it did. Truth is that there is no real work to be done with WoW. You don't have to stay in character, you don't have to get dressed, roll dice, pick up a pencil or any of that. All those things seem to be too hard for the hardcore WoWer. Oh and the most important task involving table top gaming, LEAVING THE HOUSE!!!! Oh NOOOOOOOOOOS. bah! :lol:
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Hmmm, I think if staying in character becomes work, then the games failed. It shouldn't become work - when it's about to, the game should move back to where it was...fun.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

don't get me wrong if i get them out of their holes then we all have a great time and they wonder why they don't do it more. Then the next week it starts all over. I just really believe my friends are addicted to a game. Ive known several people that have had their lives turned upside down because they have made the choice to play a game most of their waking moments. Wives, jobs, and friends lost, to a game. :shock:

and a lot of what i said in the post before is dripping with sarcasm. its just getting them out the door is the trick.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

I've seen alot of play accounts and when it's the GM trying to get them out of their holes, that's what kills the fun.

No, not because the GM's being mean or doing the wrong thing - it's a good honest thing to try.

The problem is, they look to the GM for the real ooooomph of the game, when they should be looking inside themselves. The GM stuffs this up by continually trying to be the source of the action.

One thing to try, if you can get them out the door, is to devote say thirty minutes to writing up a relationship map. You just write down a character with some extreme trait. Then write another one. Here comes the fun part - you draw a line between them and write on it how the react to each other - hate, respect, fear. Write for both of them - one might hate the other, but the other feels only respect for him.

The map gets fun when you add more characters and can connect lines from any character to each other, all with strong emotions.

The thing is, when the players are writing down characters and connection lines, you start to see what they care about. Find some stuff that you care about to and then say "Hey, lets see these guys in action"

You don't even have to use all the characters - if some just seem lame, just ignore them - that's just part of the teething process.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

thanks noon. My players and I have been playing together for a number of years and I just think the ones that are left are growing out of gaming. I basically need to start hunting down new gamers or old ones who still have the spark.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Good luck! :)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”