Tennis sport skill

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

verdilak
Adventurer

Tennis sport skill

Unread post by verdilak »

I was thinking, if you were the type of GM that allowed created skills, such as sports (I say created because if there are any sports skills in a book, I must be missing that book), they would give bonuses much like physical skills.

IMO the Tennis sport skill would give an auto dodge.

What about you guys? What do you think?
verdilak
Adventurer

Re: Tennis sport skill

sawg138 wrote:
verdilak wrote:I was thinking, if you were the type of GM that allowed created skills, such as sports (I say created because if there are any sports skills in a book, I must be missing that book), they would give bonuses much like physical skills.

IMO the Tennis sport skill would give an auto dodge.

What about you guys? What do you think?

So tennis players and juicers are on the same plane? Those sports are for the generic Athletics skill, and cover a grouping of athletic endeavors.

So, you are saying that everyone with the athletics skill would be what we call sports players? That they are the equivalent of Tony Hawk, Micheal Jordan, [insert Tennis player's name here]? I dont think so. And Juicer's are not the only one's who have autododge.
verdilak
Adventurer

I wasn't wanting the superstars, I just said their names since you talked abot Juicers. Juicers are not the only one's with an auto dodge, so I don't see why having specific sport's skills would not give an autododge. Like tennis.For baseball and basketball, I would say a bonus to dodge. Not golf, though that would give a bonus to strike. Skateboarding and similar sports, bonus to roll.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I will say there are some sports skills already to be honest. It will partially depend on what type of setting you're playing most likely, and what you're really going for. Are you going for role playing just for having the skill, or more for stat bonuses. There is a Sports skill in Ninjas & Superspies. It covers sports in general. Selecting it once will give the character the skill, and a second time for professional status. It's nothing more than % and listed in their Cultural Skills, which is about the equivalent of Domestic.

The other option would be to go with the skills that are already listed. In Rifts there is Fishing (okay, not really a sport, but just watch the sports channel), Acrobatics, Boxing, Deadball, Gymnastics, Juicer Football, Juicer Murderthon, Running, Swimming, and Wrestling. Those are the ones I've noticed from a quick glance. All those can be found in the Rifts GM Guide. Additionally, Rifts Canada has a few Physical Skills such as Ice Skating (with a second selection getting professional for Figure Skating, Pro Hockey, and Speed Skating) as well as Snow Skiing (with it's own sub categories), all of which provide physical bonuses as well.

Those are the skills that I've found in the book without really trying. And if you really feel up to the challenge you can look through the master list Kuseru Satsujin created listed here:

http://www.geocities.com/kuseru/NewMasterSkillsList.htm

Okay, hope he doesn't mind me posting it, but it just seemed practical. I'm sure I missed some things in the Rifters or other books. It gives a list, with a code of which book to find the skill in. And as for sawg138, tennis ... haven't you ever watched I, Spy? Well, at least the original version with Bill Cosby and Robert Culp. Okay, neither have I really, but my father did and I know he used being a tennis player as a cover. There is nothing wrong with Tennis compared to any other sport. Anyways, that's all for me. Hope maybe some of that helped. Take care. Farewell and safe journeys.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

After the Bomb lists some sports as independent skills, Baseball specifically, and there was a thread in the Heroes Unlimited section on making Hockey a skill. I personally have created surfing and skateboarding skills.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
verdilak
Adventurer

Eh, now that I think about it, since tennis is all about hitting the ball, I wouldn't give an autododge to the sport skill. I would probably give it a bonus to strike though.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

verdilak wrote:Eh, now that I think about it, since tennis is all about hitting the ball, I wouldn't give an autododge to the sport skill. I would probably give it a bonus to strike though.

But only with WP Tennis Racket.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

A skill at Tennis would give you +2d4 SDC and +1 to roll with punch or fall.
Why?
Because that's what the Sports skill gives you.
N&S, p. 39.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:A skill at Tennis would give you +2d4 SDC and +1 to roll with punch or fall.
Why?
N&S, p. 39.

Well, I dont have N&SS and though I can see the +2d4 SDC, I would give a +1 to strike instead of roll. Why? Because they are hitting very small targets which is essentially an aimed called strike every hit.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

verdilak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:A skill at Tennis would give you +2d4 SDC and +1 to roll with punch or fall.
Why?
N&S, p. 39.

Well, I dont have N&SS and though I can see the +2d4 SDC, I would give a +1 to strike instead of roll. Why? Because they are hitting very small targets which is essentially an aimed called strike every hit.

Same with baseball, but they don't give strike bonuses for playing baseball.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
verdilak wrote:
Why?
N&S, p. 39.

Same with baseball, but they don't give strike bonuses for playing baseball.

I think they should add it, Baseball requires very good hand eye and great reflexs. I'd also add in a plus one to parry as well.

I'm sure you would.
And so would a lot of other people, with a lot of other sports.
And this sort of thing is where power creep comes in.

Officially, the bonuses listed are all you get.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

CaptRory wrote:There's a simple fix:

You need to either spend a Related Skill or Two Secondary Skills to gain all these bonuses.

Actually, with the Sports skill, you may already have to spend two skills on it to get it to Professional level before you get any bonuses at all.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”