Does anyone use critical failures on spells?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

I don't think critical failure tables of any kind serve a valid storytelling function, and I'm not a fan.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

seems to me that NO ONE actually ever 'flubs' or fails a spell.

you could before in the other d20 games from years ago ... but now? .. nevber happens. you cast a spell .. the other team casts the counter IMMEDIATELY ..

so .. there you go
*shrugs*
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I have used spell failure, but as an effect counter. I roll to see how well the universe responds to the casting. Conditions are not always favorable to a spell. Otherwise, as lond as the spell casting durations are uninterrupted the character can get the spell off. mind you there might be quite the few interruptions.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Of course, if you want to be a jerk, critical failure can mean the wrongwords get spoken or you somehow offend the gods who make magic possible. "You called me WHAT?"
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

you know .. it would be interesting IF in the heat of hte battle ... the GM asks standard mage to roll 'lore - magic' .. to ensure that they DONT mess up on the spell.

i think the only ones that would be immune to that particular roll at that time would be the BattleMage

maybe its just me? ... might be humorous to see then, to have the GM explain WHAT just happened .. most likely, the spell would just ~fizzle~ and burn off the required PPE .. but only if you failed ..

so a simple 'yes or no, did you pass the check?' .. and if there is an unknown negative, such as the other is a higher level mage .. a battlemage .. or has devices that assist in protection against spell attacks ...

opens the door to a world of possiblities .. if you take them up on it :)
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Take a look at "Through the glass darkly" if you can find a copy of it (best book done for any palladium game...EVER!). The author had many ideas (no tables) for what may happen if spells go...bad :twisted:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: Does anyone use critical failures on spells?

Unread post by Greyaxe »

twhaley wrote:I just got some pretty cool botched-spell tables, and was wanting to put them in play ('cause they look fun). So, I figured I should check to see if anyone has anything to say about this sort of thing. I know critical failure is pretty much just house rules for palladium, but a lot of people do it.

The critical spell failure tables are used when a caster's concentration is interrupted, or is wearing hindering armor, or lacks the PPE, or when the GM says they get used.

Let me know your thoughts, please!

I never use critical failures of any kind in Rifts, or any Palladium game.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

DhAkael wrote:Take a look at "Through the glass darkly" if you can find a copy of it (best book done for any palladium game...EVER!). The author had many ideas (no tables) for what may happen if spells go...bad :twisted:

well ... that's Nightbane stuff .. and its usually never used in the multiverse. usually.

that being said, i'm glad that SOMEONE at some time, put some actual thought into the possibility of something going wrong at the time.

so i guess those things would come into play when 'designing a new spell ... or 'learning' or perhaps 'buying' a random spell. after all, if the inflections of tone or on the right combination of sounds isn't right .. you could say 'Spontaneous Self-Combustion' .. versus the standard 'Sponatious Combustion' .. and literally burn yourself up. and sadly that is one spell you would NOT be immune to

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:well ... that's Nightbane stuff .. and its usually never used in the multiverse. usually.

that being said, i'm glad that SOMEONE at some time, put some actual thought into the possibility of something going wrong at the time.

so i guess those things would come into play when 'designing a new spell ... or 'learning' or perhaps 'buying' a random spell. after all, if the inflections of tone or on the right combination of sounds isn't right .. you could say 'Spontaneous Self-Combustion' .. versus the standard 'Sponatious Combustion' .. and literally burn yourself up. and sadly that is one spell you would NOT be immune to

-ahem-
Yes.. TtGD is a Nightbane book, but all the concepts in there can be applied to magic in ANY PBooks setting.
I especialy love the 'semi-sentient living mgic' that can spontaeneously occour when too much PPE is used, or if the spell caster REALLY FUBAR's :lol: :lol:

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

oh ...
well ...

*sigh*

it was worth a shot. shows everyone \how smart i really am. that being said ... i think its time to go think about a TW char now. never actually tried to do that yet .... i tried to work out a LLW once ... years back, but lost interest. would have involved too much writing. didn't have a char on disk then, and assumed it had to be on paper ALL the time

and now ... for something completely different. a wolven TW ... a space one i think ... that should be interesting ... i wonder what their gear and weapons are like? ... *grabs the phasebook and wanders away

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:....

oh ...
well ...

*sigh*

it was worth a shot. shows everyone \how smart i really am. that being said ... i think its time to go think about a TW char now. never actually tried to do that yet .... i tried to work out a LLW once ... years back, but lost interest. would have involved too much writing. didn't have a char on disk then, and assumed it had to be on paper ALL the time

and now ... for something completely different. a wolven TW ... a space one i think ... that should be interesting ... i wonder what their gear and weapons are like? ... *grabs the phasebook and wanders away
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “G.M.s Forum”