Super Weapon

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

1. I have no clue what you're talking about
2. It's a magic item, scrap the Proseks.
3. Nemo? You mean Nema? or are we talking about the fish?
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

SkyeFyre wrote:1. I have no clue what you're talking about
2. It's a magic item, scrap the Proseks.
3. Nemo? You mean Nema? or are we talking about the fish?

I sent you a PM.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: pm

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:didnt get it

The PM?
That's because I sent it to Skyfire.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: nemo

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."
Last edited by cornholioprime on Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Hagan Lonovich wrote:the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."

ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE:

Any ideas of how to go about starting this? What storylines might develop if certain npc villains obtained it? or heroes?

so far some of my options have been

Hagan Lonovich
James T
Pharoah Rama Set
Dr. Desmond Bradford
Warlord Scaard
Nemo
One of the Proseks
Col. Isabella Cooper
One of the Atlantean Underground
Any god or powerful npc.
If ANYBODY gets their hands on it...it's Game Over. Or Story Over, as the case may be.

Youve been reading too many Comic Books if you think that characters who get their hands on that much power will be defeated or even approachable.

In the comics, when they give characters Ultimate Power, they then proceed to make the Godlike Character in question do THE stupidest things ever in order to make them lose that power at story's end.

No way that that happens in the "real" world; 10 seconds after Prosek gets his hands on such power, the Splugorth vanish from the Megaverse and all D-Bees and monsters vanish from the face of Earth, if not follow the Splugorth into oblivion; 10 seconds after that, all remaining sentients on Earth become forever-loyal mind slaves.

You weren't thinking of sending an adventuring party after such a person, were you??

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
DocS
Adventurer

Re: Super weapon

Unread post by DocS »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:I was thinking of harnessing the power of the forge to make something more powerful. Something that could be handheld or worn.

Since my campaign is more like a comicbook than a science fiction movie, I guess it could work. I agree with the Prosek and other humans not being able to use it correctly. I probably wouldnt have one of them acquire it, but another human like Hagan or Desmond Bradford or maybe something insane like Rama Set

Why not have an item that gives the "Matter creation" ability like that of The Nightlords?" Weren't they supposed to be the result of humans seeking omnipotence? matter creation, mind control, Telekinesis with infinite ISP, telepathy, those four together seem to be a combo which approximates omnipotence. And since Alistair Dunscon would love some of that, he seems a logical choice for it.

As for the item, how will you use it in your campaign? If it just makes you 'God', then PC's will get really frustrated since they will be powerless to stop the bad guy, him being 'God' and all.

In actuality, a Party fighting a truly all-powerful menace is both frustrating and angering. I would hold off on putting this thing in your campaign unless you have very concrete ideas on how to use it and how the party will interact with it without them walking out of your campaign.

No matter how you do it, you need to give the guy or the item a weakness (or The Party the ability to 'thwart' him). In fact, start with the weakness. What is the weakness you want to give it? Or how will the party stop the plan of the bad guy, etc.... If there are no answers to that, then the idea should stop there.
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:
Right now I need an achilles heel. with him it may be easier because of his love to bask in destruction so perhaps he would unleash wormwood on earth or bring back the horsemen and watch.

Items like these are defined by their Achilles heel. Either they are "Seemingly all powerful but not nearly as useful as one would think", "All powerful with one unfortunate weakness to be exploited", or "not powerful in the way one would think." Don't think about it as "What ingredients make for an all powerful item", we all can think of a million Mega-damage, absolute invulnerability, etc.... Instead think of it in a "How do I use it in the story" way, and design the item around its purpose in the story. You're the GM, you don't have to follow any sort of item creation rules.

Storyline #1. I've always wanted to run this one. Where an NPC Rogue Scholar gets the item like this. He's not a *bad* guy (and the characters know this), but he's not the best, and he uses the item badly causing a lot of trouble, and needs to be stopped. He's not evil, it's just that the power is in the wrong hands. Luckily, he's not the smartest guy in the world either, so outwitting him is possible.

Storyline #2. I did play this one. The Item was All-powerful... at the time it was made.... but not right now. I ran a Supers game where a general obtained a 3000 year old scroll granting him an all-powerful army. And yes, the army was 5000 terra cotta warriors, and 3000 years ago it *Would* have been all powerful, but nowadays it's not as good (but still useful).

Storyline #3. The all powerful Item McGuffin. This one works well for Post-apocalyptic settings. A giant Scavanger hunt for an item of epic power! The CS is involved, the Fed of Magic, EVERYONE! And when the party actually finds it... the "Legends" turn out to be false... mostly due to the fact that they come from the notes from an ancient TV show about a "Gun that could destroy mountains". Everyone has been searching for a toy from an old TV show.

Storyline #4 (Another game module did this concept). The party hunts for All-Powerful item. Only to open the box and find it has been destroyed/decayed/fraud.. etc. Ok, no worries there... EXCEPT the other folks who wanted the item NOW think the party has it! And the party is hunted as a result.

Storyline #5. A bad guy gets the item, and now everything is bad with a capital B. It's everything the legends say.

Now you base it around some science fiction concept. Lets say it gives emotional control (A-La The Mule in the Foundation Series). Does this mean the party needs to somehow be immune to their emotions in order to fight him?

Lets say, instead, it gives near infinite physical power (matter control, telekinesis, force fields, etc), Does it have some other kink to it? Like the user has an addiction that can be taken advantage of?

Storyline #6. Bad guy has the item, and The Party is, for one reason or another, the ONLY group of people who are immune to it (the mind control doesn't work, or they have the only gun that can pierce the shield). Now it's up to them to save the world.

Focus on what the party is going to do concerning the item, then the abilities of the item define themselves. After all, in the end, this item, it's not a sword, shield, forge, robot, gun, computer, or hyper-magitech World Killing system..... it's merely a plot device.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

DamonS wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
Right now I need an achilles heel. with him it may be easier because of his love to bask in destruction so perhaps he would unleash wormwood on earth or bring back the horsemen and watch.

Items like these are defined by their Achilles heel. Either they are "Seemingly all powerful but not nearly as useful as one would think", "All powerful with one unfortunate weakness to be exploited", or "not powerful in the way one would think." Don't think about it as "What ingredients make for an all powerful item", we all can think of a million Mega-damage, absolute invulnerability, etc.... Instead think of it in a "How do I use it in the story" way, and design the item around its purpose in the story. You're the GM, you don't have to follow any sort of item creation rules.

Storyline #1. I've always wanted to run this one. Where an NPC Rogue Scholar gets the item like this. He's not a *bad* guy (and the characters know this), but he's not the best, and he uses the item badly causing a lot of trouble, and needs to be stopped. He's not evil, it's just that the power is in the wrong hands. Luckily, he's not the smartest guy in the world either, so outwitting him is possible.

Storyline #2. I did play this one. The Item was All-powerful... at the time it was made.... but not right now. I ran a Supers game where a general obtained a 3000 year old scroll granting him an all-powerful army. And yes, the army was 5000 terra cotta warriors, and 3000 years ago it *Would* have been all powerful, but nowadays it's not as good (but still useful).

Storyline #3. The all powerful Item McGuffin. This one works well for Post-apocalyptic settings. A giant Scavanger hunt for an item of epic power! The CS is involved, the Fed of Magic, EVERYONE! And when the party actually finds it... the "Legends" turn out to be false... mostly due to the fact that they come from the notes from an ancient TV show about a "Gun that could destroy mountains". Everyone has been searching for a toy from an old TV show.

Storyline #4 (Another game module did this concept). The party hunts for All-Powerful item. Only to open the box and find it has been destroyed/decayed/fraud.. etc. Ok, no worries there... EXCEPT the other folks who wanted the item NOW think the party has it! And the party is hunted as a result.

Storyline #5. A bad guy gets the item, and now everything is bad with a capital B. It's everything the legends say.

Now you base it around some science fiction concept. Lets say it gives emotional control (A-La The Mule in the Foundation Series). Does this mean the party needs to somehow be immune to their emotions in order to fight him?

Lets say, instead, it gives near infinite physical power (matter control, telekinesis, force fields, etc), Does it have some other kink to it? Like the user has an addiction that can be taken advantage of?

Storyline #6. Bad guy has the item, and The Party is, for one reason or another, the ONLY group of people who are immune to it (the mind control doesn't work, or they have the only gun that can pierce the shield). Now it's up to them to save the world.

Focus on what the party is going to do concerning the item, then the abilities of the item define themselves. After all, in the end, this item, it's not a sword, shield, forge, robot, gun, computer, or hyper-magitech World Killing system..... it's merely a plot device.
Not a bad list of ideas. Not bad at all.

But you forgot one: The "Weapon WILL be all-powerful in a few hours/days/months with the right mix of planetary alignments/charge times/upon the sacrifice and death of the Chosen One or Chaste Maiden UNLESS the party can stop it in time" Plot. :D

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:I was thinking of harnessing the power of the forge to make something more powerful. Something that could be handheld or worn.

:shock:
As the resident Phase World Continuity Expert, I have to tell you that what you are proposing is like harnessing the power of Almighty God, and using Him to make a more powerful, man-portable God.

Only one creature has ever been able to get their hands on the Forge, and that was The One... in a nanosecond he was able to revise the entire history of the universe to erase the First Race from all existence. So, any NPC Rifts villain whom you allow to do the same simply WILL NOT BE DEFEATED. Instead, they will create an entirely new reality based on whatever physical laws they deem fit.

The Cosmic Forge will simply not tolerate such abuse of its power or itself.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

OK.

Just sayin' my piece, is all...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”