Seriousness in games

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Seriousness in games

Unread post by Ridley »

So, how serious is the tone in your games? Is it more humorous, or do you tend to be super serious.

Personaly, i just dont like the idea of humor gaming, its fun, but not to GM.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Most of the time dead serious, occasionally someone says or does something that makes us laugh our ass off.

And other times, well it is supposed to be fun.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

We use a bit of both.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

in our game we call it the tangent tobogan. It referes to any 30 minute or longer period were nothing but silly off point jokes and stories interrupt the game. They used to be fun when I first started, but now I pray for a little more seriousness in my games.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

My games are mostly serious, but I do like to throw in a little comedy to lighten things up. Especially after a particularly grueling task or fight. Comic relief has its place, as long as its handled properly and doesn't take over the game!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: Seriousness in games

Unread post by Warwolf »

Ridley wrote:So, how serious is the tone in your games? Is it more humorous, or do you tend to be super serious.

IN my games, the tone is typically quite serious/dramatic (I'd say 8/10). However, I like to break it up with some comedy as well. At the same time, as a player group I'd say the seriousness is more around a 5/10 since there is a lot of out-of-character joking (most of it tasteless) and razzing that occurs. We will also take time out just for general BSing as the session proceeds. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: Seriousness in games

Unread post by Warwolf »

sawg138 wrote:
Warwolf wrote:
Ridley wrote:So, how serious is the tone in your games? Is it more humorous, or do you tend to be super serious.

IN my games, the tone is typically quite serious/dramatic (I'd say 8/10). However, I like to break it up with some comedy as well. At the same time, as a player group I'd say the seriousness is more around a 5/10 since there is a lot of out-of-character joking (most of it tasteless) and razzing that occurs. We will also take time out just for general BSing as the session proceeds. :)

Shush, Pinata!

Fine. See if I jump in a nerve-gas filled hole to save YOUR sorry hide you PKing flail-about. :P
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

there is a fine line, I think. Some folks think of "serious" as 'all concentration, no jokes', you know, like how chess tournaments are serious. And others think of 'serious' as 'with large possibilities of permanent negative effects', like how firefighting is 'serious' (But firefighters joke a lot, because they know what they're doing!).

I prefer a more relaxed game. The intense concentration for me is kind of a let-down. So I love a jokey campaign. However, if the campaign has lots of danger and the like, I like that too. So I guess in way #1, I'm not serious, but way #2, I am.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”