Running a godlings campaign

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Running a godlings campaign

Unread post by Spark »

I'm the GM for a godlings campaign, and while I think I'm doing fine I have to ask suggestions as to what to throw at them. So far I've made it a mission to go take out the VI and it's minions (a.k.a. the New Asgard). Thing is even vampires are not touch enough, a rune sword/axe is more then powerful enough to kill the bloodsuckers.

So any suggestions as to what I could throw at them to give them a good challenge would be great. I should also include the fact that they are currently in Europe heading east. I've though about the Brodkil, and Gargoyles. Just a little are to fine something that a godling with a PS 66 supernatural.

Thank you for any help.
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

As a general rule I avoid these kinda games myself. Just because it can be a real pain to try and keep the game challenging. That said theres still alot you can do.

Thing is the adversaries they must face dont allway shave to be even remotely equal to them. They can be significantly weaker. The Xitcitix hive rescue thing is a prime example.

Afterall while their characters can easily survive facing off alone unarmed against an entire army in some cases...

Most people cant.

Oh hey your part of a Pantheon. Your 'head god' or what ever has some worshipers that are 'vital' to some longer reaching plan. Some rival god wants them dead so he raises up an army to smite them.

Its the PCs job to protect these people who are, as we speak under siege. At least X core of worshipers must survive against this massive overpowered onslaught.

Make it like say.. a 20:1 ratio of enemy to goodguys. So the good NPCs are royally screwed without some major assitance.

Now apply the quick basic army vs army rules out of one of the rifters. I dont recall which but it's got a nice system for a quick and easy matchup against opposing armies by giving them a set base MDC, attacks etc.

Now pit the PCs against some random NPCs some 'boss type' NPCs and have say.. half their attacks be represented as damage against the enemy army.

Follow the results as normal provided in the rifter article.

There you go. You'll have a fairly clearcut result. Win or loose. Apply concequences of the win/loss to the overall game.

Thats one angle you can play on it at least.
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Since these kinds of games are usually the ones I end up playing the best thing for godlings to fight is usually greater demons in mass quantities with some decent magic items. Get some Raksasha since they have a couple thousand MDC and give them some mystic kuznya chain mail with 400 mdc and a rune sword that does like 1d6x10 md...that'll definately show em' who's boss.

Not only can they shapeshift into any living thing no smaller than 1 foot to the max size of 10 feet, they are also wicked good spell casters and know all psionics!

Since your doing a Vamp game it says in their description that they enjoy eating raw human flesh and drinking human blood...could say he's there visiting one of his old "buddies" and the group interrupted his meal...BAM time to get ruled.

Deific rivals within and outside of their pantheon are always good, so are pesky humans in power with rail guns loaded with U-rounds.

Most definately...those guns will make them want to take cover and use their noggins to try and take them out rather than just headlong into them since it shuts down bio-regen while the bullets are still in them.

i once used a Mega-Hero ancient adult Greathorned-dragon, to throw against a party of full blown gods, they had a hard time with it. im sure that will make your party of godlings quiver in fear. also give him the additional SDC/MDC and PS bonus in that the Mega Hero can get, and make it immune to magic. also remember ancient dragons have an additional +1000 to MDC and a horrorfactor of 16 or higher.

Great Horned Dragon adult....or any adult dragon for that matter = RAPE. lol.

I'm the GM for a godlings campaign, and while I think I'm doing fine I have to ask suggestions as to what to throw at them. So far I've made it a mission to go take out the VI and it's minions (a.k.a. the New Asgard). Thing is even vampires are not touch enough, a rune sword/axe is more then powerful enough to kill the bloodsuckers.

Former Necromancers turned Vampire would present a bit of a challenge if they were say....15th level and a Silhouette with like 500+ppe and had used the ritual that when killed they turn into a master vamp with 2x their PPE as HP!! :eek:

Have a couple of those badboys running at them with hordes of boosted secondaries decked out in Necro-Armor and Strength of the Dead boosts (kill a metzla or if they kill a Raksasha if you throw it up against them and use SotD on that to boost the vampires HP by a couple thousand) and Death Bolt power-ups...tons of stuff a necro can use to make the dead godly...but ya the Rune Weapons kinda make them on a not so even playing field...just throw in some casters and give the Master Vampires weapons and armor to match. Just because your a demi-god doesn't mean that the Naruni Shoulder Cannon isn't a good way to "reach out and touch someone" :D
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Opponents for godling PCs - as other posters have pointed out - can be adult+ dragons, Demon Lords, Evil Gods, AIs, massed armies or sometimes natural disasters or their evil doppelgaenger from a parallel univers :demon:.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

What supreme god/Deity?

I think Duck-Foot is referring to the brief description of a Supreme Being mentioned in Pantheons of the Megaverse. They are on a whole different level than your "normal" gods...meaning they can do anything they want at anytime regardless of what it may be. An example of their power is that they don't have stats and they can erase you or anything they want from existance anytime they want. I have a friend who uses this type of being in his own custom messed up crazy star-trek/rifts/dbz cross over universe where his cohorts are a crazy old guy that basically teleports he moves so fast (regardless of the distance) on top of which he's a master of all HtH styles and a crazy necromancer who is on a quest to make a book containing all the knowledge and informatioin of everything in the megaverse. His relm also shares space where creatures are as strong as SSJ4 Goku naturally but everything in their part of the universe is 50 times bigger than everything else. His threat is basically...don't **** me off or I'll send you here. :lol:
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

Have them fight themselves. :D This can be alternate dimension selves (the old evil zone trick) or they got on the wrong side of some uber powerful god of magic/time and he casts a 30th level xerox spell or some such. No one can hurt as much as YOU can.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

elecgraystone wrote:Have them fight themselves. :D This can be alternate dimension selves (the old evil zone trick) or they got on the wrong side of some uber powerful god of magic/time and he casts a 30th level xerox spell or some such. No one can hurt as much as YOU can.

you mean copy the PC's character sheets and then modify as one sees fit. When done right it gets really ugly, really fast.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Got page number?

I don't have the book handy at the moment but if you own a copy or can get one its not hard to find. Its right in the beginning of the book just before the Priest OCC. There will be a breif description of gods and just as the description finishes it will mention a supreme being. Its in the beginning of the book so its not hard to find. Sorry I don't have the page #
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

Rockwolf66 wrote:you mean copy the PC's character sheets and then modify as one sees fit. When done right it gets really ugly, really fast.
Yep, right down to the nifty magic weapons and equipment, everything. This can be as quick as an epic throwdown, to tracking down your evil you that's burning down villages and doing all kinds of naughtiness just to get EVERYONE angry with you. Blow up a few atlantian outposts, a few coalition towns, have fun in the magic zone. Every turn someone's attacking them for something they didn't do. They may even get a spanking from thier pantheon for all of "their" badness. :D Nothing like daddy putting the putting you in time out till you understand what you've done wrong. :D
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Powerful characters don't have to be a problem. There are other (non-Palladium) games that deal with the central theme of "what if you were totally awesomely powerful compared to almost all of the world?"

The fact is, in addition to being able to fight more and more powerful opponents, they would probably be able to become movers and shakers in the world. Let them. They could become kings of their own regions fairly easily.
But of course, this gives them whole new sets of problems, since they are not the only movers and shakers in the world.

The problem is that many GMs aren't used to that scale, and still try to give them the same types of challenges. Learn to adapt.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”