W.P. Thrown and other assorted ranged attacks.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

W.P. Thrown and other assorted ranged attacks.

Unread post by zerombr »

what is the default bonuses for non-modern weapon ranged attacks?
I have looked through several books and there is much contradiction between for example, certain ranged spells, and energy expulsion powers. Which ones get physical prowess bonuses, (naturally I realize the magic spells that declare "dodge with a 16+" are immune to this)

Also, strength bonus to thrown objects are a bit murky as well, do most daggers and whatnot get your str bonus? It does make sense that a dagger thrown by a very strong person may get buried deeper in it's target. How does Supernatural Strength factor into it as well?
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Re: W.P. Thrown and other assorted ranged attacks.

Unread post by elecgraystone »

zerombr wrote:what is the default bonuses for non-modern weapon ranged attacks?
I have looked through several books and there is much contradiction between for example, certain ranged spells, and energy expulsion powers. Which ones get physical prowess bonuses, (naturally I realize the magic spells that declare "dodge with a 16+" are immune to this)

Also, strength bonus to thrown objects are a bit murky as well, do most daggers and whatnot get your str bonus? It does make sense that a dagger thrown by a very strong person may get buried deeper in it's target. How does Supernatural Strength factor into it as well?
Non-modern weapons and energy expulsion use PP bonuses. Not 100% sure on spells, but i think they use PP too.

Strength damage bonuses do not count for damage in ranged combat, however it is a factor in the ranges that you can throw.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I can understand that to a point...but let's imagine someone with a supernatural strength of oh....100 throws a knife, I find it hard to believe that it'd only do 1d4 damage or so
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

OK know Im gonna get static for this (puts on rubber soled shoes) But I'd base this on the weight/damage table under Telekinesis: Super. Unfortunately (the air crackles) using that table as a basis, there is no damage bonus for such a light item like a vibro-knife (MD is inflicted in increments of 100 pounds).
House Rule Time (grounds self further): Simple: Double damage from something less then 100 pounds being hurled (ie a 1D4 vibro knife is now 2D4) then add damage from a full strength punch for total MDC. Sound good?
This is generally what we do when my dragon player starts throwing things, mostly CS soldiers).
Obviously this is a house rule that works for my players and I, your results may vary. Villagers: Please your extinguish your torches, put your pitchforks down, and return to your shanties. :D
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
elecgraystone
Adventurer

zerombr wrote:I can understand that to a point...but let's imagine someone with a supernatural strength of oh....100 throws a knife, I find it hard to believe that it'd only do 1d4 damage or so
Well, that's the way the rules are written. :D
Now I don't see a problem with some kind of houserule to add damage to thrown weapons at short ranges, but remember to add damage to ALL strength categories to be fair. A guy with a normal strength bonus to damage should get it too.

Before you change anything however, look at WP: targeting and figure out what kind of damage you are looking at.
A supernatural strength of 21 and WP targeting and WP knife throwing vibro-throwing knifes and using the method asajosh posted.
Range=180'
Damage per double throw 8d6MDC (vibroknife D6MX2 + strength 2d6M per knife & can simultaneously throw 2 per attack)
Throw in paired weapons and a bandoleer of vibro-knives and your looking at 16d6M every attack. :shock:

Myself i think if you wanted to add damage, then adding +1 damage per 5 points of strength over 15 (IE 16-20=+1 ect.) would work much better and doesn't lead to overboard damages.
elecgraystone
Adventurer

gadrin wrote:well if you use the PS rules as written you can get a decent approximation, but it doesn't always fit real-life.

I wouldnt' allow a giant with SN PS of 40 to throw a baseball into outerspace.

here's for SN PS of 24 (by the book)

Carry Weight Lift Weight
1,200 lbs (545.5 kg)
2,400 lbs (1,090.9 kg)

Throw Weight Throw Distance
1,200 lbs (545.5 kg) 24.0 feet (7.3 m)

That's not bad, as he can toss a small car 24 feet. I'd be impressed.

So how far can this guy toss a hand grenade ? I'd go with 24*20 or 480 feet.

Baseball fences for "normal human" run about 400 feet or so max. Most "normal" humans can't throw that far, never mind accuracy.

YMMV -- double it for a more over-the-top type of game.
As is supernatural strengths can throw a grenade 300' or 400' with a strength of 31+. heck a supernatural strength of 31 can throw a javelin 1200'. 8-) They seem close enouph that IMO i wouldn't mess with them.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”