Computerized random tables

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

WhenI want random results computers are not generally my first choice however...

They will require internet connectivity

http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/random.htm

http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/Rn ... nogen.html

I have never seen an app to run locally but im sure they exist.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

If it's a DOS program, you could use Dos-Box to run it.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

CaptRory wrote:Just stick the %s and Outcomes in a spreadsheet and roll physical dice.

If you're going to go through the trouble of typing in all the outcomes, then you might as well pick a cell and type "=round(rand()*100,0)", and have the spreadsheet roll percentile for you every time the sheet is refreshed.
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

Natalya wrote:
CaptRory wrote:Just stick the %s and Outcomes in a spreadsheet and roll physical dice.

If you're going to go through the trouble of typing in all the outcomes, then you might as well pick a cell and type "=round(rand()*100,0)", and have the spreadsheet roll percentile for you every time the sheet is refreshed.

Thanks! I always like these tidbits for Excel!

Just press F9 for it to roll again with a new number.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Snuffy wrote:
Natalya wrote:

Thanks! I always like these tidbits for Excel!

Just press F9 for it to roll again with a new number.

You can do the same for the other dice just by changing the multiplier. However use "roundup" for D4, D6, D8, D12, and D20, and use "rounddown" for D10. That way you avoid a "10" on the D10, and a "0" on the rest.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”