Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Do you think the RIFTS the movie will ever get off the ground?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 124 ]
No 59%  59%  [ 179 ]
Total votes : 303
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:46 am

Explorer

Just a question I've been asking myself since I heard that RIFTS might, and thats a distant might be picked up for a movie deal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:59 am

Dungeon Crawler

I give it 5-10 years to get off the ground.

You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:05 am

Champion

You're missing a category: I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. :P

While I think it could make a truly epic, memorable groundbreaking movie (like the Matrix) if done right, I think it might be a bit too far "out there" for the big studios to actually proceed with. I hope I'm wrong.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:00 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
with all the junk emerging from hollywood these days and some of the crap sequels being released i cant say for sure if it is coming or not. Hulk 2 are you mad!!! i walked out on the first one! i have been reading comics for the better part of 20 years and lets me say that movie didn't do hulk justice but as i digress.....
in my opinion if a movie is being done first i see alot of hype. how many of you out there have seen or read halo 3 articles? probably alot of you.i have already heard of a fantastic 4 articles and the hype of spiderman 3 has been going for years. rifts.....silence... in this case silence is not good news. I REALLY HOPE IM WRONG ON THIS! :-(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Yes.

Remember, movies are not made overnight.

Take, for example, how long it took Lord of the Rings to reach the silver screen after it was first announced.

~ Josh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:47 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
I would be inclined to say "no", but its alrady been pointed out that Epics with lots of special effects tend to take a long time to hit theaters.
Assuming Palladium is still in business I'd say around 3-5 years.
So my final answer is "Yes".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
i hope you are all right that it is coming out.i have been holding my breath for years now,and i will continue to do so. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:30 am

Champion

Comment: Only the insecure put on airs of elitism
Hmmmm....this seems about right

It's amazing how people refuse to see that a written rule isn't the same as a good one. Then again, complacency is the new ignorance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm

Wanderer

I think Disney is gonna see how the Live-action Transformers movie is gonna work out before they work on Rifts. It's directed by Micheal Bay(Pearl Harbour), so the arial combat should be pretty cool. Steven Spielberg is also listed in the production.

"You say PYSCHO like its a bad thing"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Champion

I voted "no..." but that could just be my pre-Valentine's Day cynicism doing the talking.

I want to see it, to be sure, but unless some big news (GOOD news) is released I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Oh well... here's hoping I'll eventually be proved wrong.

And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Hero

I think it will be made, but then again I'm biased.

My reason being as many times as Bruckheimer/Disney have had to duke this out with Kevin, his agent and the attorneys they've had so many opportunities to walk away its not funny, but they come back every time and agree to the desired terms and conditions.

I think Bruckheimer wants this to bad to let it go. The man is very smart and knows a good thing when he sees it.

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Last edited by Maryann on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Knight

I too think it will be done. But, not until like 2009 to 2010.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Last I heard, things sounded good. But with Hollywood, things can change over-night. :-?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Champion

Maryann wrote:
I think it will be made, but then again I'm biased.

My reason being as many times as Bruckheimer/Disney have had to duke this out with Kevin, his agent and the attorneys they've had so many opportunities to walk away its not funny, but they come back every time and agree to the desired terms and conditions.

I think Bruckheimer wants this to back to let it go. The man is very smart and knows a good thing when he sees it.

Well, you're definitely more "in the know" than I'll likely ever be... so that at least makes me feel a little bit better about the whole thing. :)

And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:28 am

Wanderer

Well, if Disney does eventually decide they don't want it, perhaps the rights to the movie could be sold to whomever made the 300... A Rifts movie done the way the 300 was done would be absolutely incredible. Best part is, they wouldn't need Frank Miller to do a Graphic Novel first, they could use Machinations of Doom for inspiration.

:D --GJ.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Rifter® Contributer

I believe it will be, but that it's going to take some significant time. It's right up JB's alley, but he has a lot on his plate, so we all have to sit and patiently wait.

"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Knight

ya i think it will be here, but it will take many, many years to produce.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:37 am

Adventurer

Comment: I game... Therefore I am...
The books may take decades to arrive but I have a feeling we will see the Rifts movie even sooner. The recent tragedy at PB only makes me think we will see it even sooner. The concept of Rifts would translate well to the big screen imho and it would help draw people into the game which can only help PB in the long run.

I am hopeful.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am

Dungeon Crawler

I think that by the time this movie gets made, I'll be too old to care. (and probably too old to see it) Like the one thread said, The Rifts will come before the movie does.

"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous ****** in the jungle."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Explorer

Man i've heard about rifts the movie for a few years now and i dont think if theyve been streching it this far. Movies no matter how great dont take decades to make. in one seen you got a nice little boy whos 15 next scene hes a thirtie year old. I think a rumor got started and got out of hand. Also palladium is still having a little trouble and a movie is probaly the last thing on thier mind since they cost hundreds of thousands

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Hero

slade wrote:
Man i've heard about rifts the movie for a few years now and i dont think if theyve been streching it this far. Movies no matter how great dont take decades to make. in one seen you got a nice little boy whos 15 next scene hes a thirtie year old. I think a rumor got started and got out of hand. Also palladium is still having a little trouble and a movie is probaly the last thing on thier mind since they cost hundreds of thousands

Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Explorer

Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...[/quote]

thats a decade and how many more do we have to wait to see this awesome movie? anoth couple decades. but dont get me wrong i would love to see that movie and am praying it does come out but I think palladium is more interested in their books right now as they are eiaser to generate and quiker to make

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:30 pm

Adventurer

slade wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Ummmm, Palladium isn't the producer, Jerry Bruckheimer is. It isn't a rumor its an option. It hasn't been decades, just four years in development...

thats a decade and how many more do we have to wait to see this awesome movie? anoth couple decades. but dont get me wrong i would love to see that movie and am praying it does come out but I think palladium is more interested in their books right now as they are eiaser to generate and quiker to make

-A decade is 10 years, not 4. It will be another 6 years before it has been a decade since the announcement.
-Palladium can keep concentrating on books because they will not be making the movie. Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney hold the option to make the movie, and it is up to them when, or if, this movie is produced.

-Chris

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Explorer

a decade is 5 years

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Explorer

also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Adventurer

Definitions of 'decade'
(dĕkād, dĕ-kād) - 2 definitions - The American Heritage® Dictionary
decade (n.) A period of ten years.
decade (n.) A group or series of ten.
Go To:
Encyclopedia
65k - 9 sec @ 56k
Dictionary.com

Last I heard they were only on their second or third script for the Rifts movie...

If it comes out fine, if it doesn't, also fine by me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Dungeon Crawler

slade wrote:
also if dysney doesnt do the movie why dont they get someone else doing it? they dont have to stay with dysney and come on since when was this type of movie went for dysney it will have killing, chop shops and swearing. I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie

Thats the point of Disney paying for the option. Palladium agrees not to let some one else make a movie besides Disney. When the option expires Palladium is free to find another movie company.

As for Disney's style, Brockheimer did Arthur (with all the killing, cursing, and scantally clad Genevieve. 'Nuff said

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:30 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

slade wrote:
I have never seen a dysney movie with chop shops or gore in a dysney movie. it will never make it with dysney. they should use a different place and director. I have also heard that that director has turned down hundreds of possible rift movies because their not what he wants. Nothing is going to be what he wants because of all the gore and violance that comes with this movie

a) Disney's Rifts will be PG-13 aka Pirates. Which is fine. Nobody is going to spend $200M on a Rated R movie.

b) They do not have a director. Bruckheimer is a producer whose favorite directors are Gore Verbinski and Michael Bay. Bay will not do Rifts 'cuz he isn't a sci-fi fan and just did Transformers. Gore wants to some dramas and non-blockbusters for a while.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Winter wrote:
Just a question I've been asking myself since I heard that RIFTS might, and thats a distant might be picked up for a movie deal.

Do I? no.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Hero

slade wrote:

Boy your getting some bizarre rumors. There have been only three treatments, Bruckheimer has approval of the script before any director would ever see it. They've talked to Ridley Scott among others for the directors chair and none of them have seen any of the treatments as far as I've heard. They've been working with David Franzoni of Gladiator fame for the script and just haven't hit on it yet.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Adventurer

slade wrote:
a decade is 5 years

:shock:

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:02 am

Explorer

I am sorry about saying that a decade was five years but i did hear that whoever is making the movie has put down some good ideas.

I think that if they did make a movie it should include all the different characters. Or even the defilers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Hero

Maryann wrote:
They've talked to Ridley Scott among others...

The director of Alien and Gladiator?! ...joy... :D

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Dungeon Crawler

At open house one of panels mentioned some of the things that were floating around for possible scripts. They would have been funny if they weren't so sad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:39 am

Explorer

can you give us any leads or hints as to what they where

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:53 am

Dungeon Crawler

This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:35 am

Hero

kamikazzijoe wrote:
This could be the next starwars....taken way too literally. Here's the cantina scene, heres the rescue the princess scene....

That would be baaaaad :nh:

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:03 pm

Hero

asajosh wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

what wories me is that there are more ways for this movie to bad than there are for it to be good.

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Explorer

They should make a war movie containing all the occ's rcc's and races frmo the origanal rifts. Like book it should have erin tarn in it something about the vampires to the south and a couple of scenes about the north.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I was thinking maybe the republicans vs archie vs the splugorth. That way you get very rifts ideas and not things that may appear to take off of others like the old ones or confusing cyber knights with jedi.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Explorer

Another thing they should do is ask players for their old stories. Tweek them up a bit and take out the bad stuff. Because my friend tells me about his characters all the time and any of them would make awesome movies.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm

Palladin

I will still say yes. It will just take awhile. Like several people have said, years. Many years, unfortinitly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm

Explorer

what they really need to do is turn it into a half hour show every day. that way they cant go wrong one episode sucks oh well we still have next episode to watch. If thats not good they should show how the world became rifts like the glitter boy wars and the nuke bombs alnog with the xicites

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
asajosh wrote:
kamikazzijoe wrote:

I'd live with it for a scene of a flying fortresses chasing after a sky king and a later scene of hoplites and other american sold triax power armor storming Chi-Town under heavy Samas barrage.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Hero

Im betting a story line along the line of the CS's first war with the federation of magic. There will be a back story of how we got here (sunrises over 2098 NYC: huge gleaming sky scrapers, flying cars, the whole bit. James Earl Jones voice over: "It was the Golden Age of Man..."), the chaos times, the dark ages, the rise of the CS and the FoM (with an allusion to the vanguard), then the split between the two, the war, a CS trooper learns to tolerate D-Bees, a mage saves a dying CS soldier, popcorn consumed by the ton, end credits, standing ovation.

Then... Rifts II: Atlantis and Rifts III: Chaos Earth (the obligatory pre-quil) go into simultaneous production.
:D

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:49 am

D-Bee

There is too much Rifts to put into a 2 hour movie. It would have to be an incredibly long series spanning 10 seasons. I'd do it in a twilight zone kind of way, where each show (About 54 mins) has different characters but are linked by only the plot and not physically.

Fact is, there's just too much to put into a single movie. You'd need sequals, and even with 6 hours of sequels you'd be eliminating many many aspects of Rifts. You'd need many many seasons.

Also, Rifts could not be this CG anime crap. I find that art rther generic. I would accept an animated series of Rifts in the style of, say, Heavy Metal or Titan AE. or maybe even by the mastermind himself, Kevin!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:09 am

Knight

why not a rifts a tv show

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:21 am

Rifter® Contributer

Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:15 am

Champion

Comment: Only the insecure put on airs of elitism
AJ Pickett wrote:
Sure, just don't let Nathan Fillian act in it.. he is the kiss of death to good Sci Fi series.

Uh....what? Because he was in Firefly and Firefly got cancelled?

I looked over his list and the only sci-fi series he's done was 2 episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Firefly/Serenity. How does that make him the kiss of death?

It's amazing how people refuse to see that a written rule isn't the same as a good one. Then again, complacency is the new ignorance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 am

Knight

Alejandro wrote:
AJ Pickett wrote:

Uh....what? Because he was in Firefly and Firefly got cancelled?

I looked over his list and the only sci-fi series he's done was 2 episodes of Justice League Unlimited and Firefly/Serenity. How does that make him the kiss of death?

Because Drive got canceled, and it was obviously Sci-Fi! ;)