Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:30 am

Dungeon Crawler

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
You know, I think I'm just going to replace PB's attribute number with the following table:
1. Grotesque
2. Hideous
3. Disgusting
4. Repugnant
5. Repulsive
6. Revolting
7. Homely
8. Ill-favored
9. Unattractive
10. Unimpressive
11. Plain
12. Fair
13. Comely
14. Cute
15. Pretty
16. Attractive
17. Lovely
18. Beautiful
19. Gorgeous/Handsome
20. Breathtaking

Yes, that's the whole table, nothing else, no penalties or bonuses, just an adjective.

This i can work with. *Ignoring everything else on the subject.*

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:39 am

Dungeon Crawler

Misfit KotLD wrote:
hippie_mama wrote:
This i can work with. *Ignoring everything else on the subject.*

Just like a woman... :D

Meanwhile you guys are throwing out meaningless numbers...how does that make more sense? Math is just a theory anyway, get over it already :P

Post subject: Re: PB question
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:02 am

Hero

Mack wrote:
And here's some more fun: Some folks have a rule that if you earn the bonus die, and if you roll a 6 on it, then you get to roll an additional 1D6 (for a possible max score of 30).

For even more fun, Splicers (p169), BtS2(iirc) and R:UE (p279) made this 5th die official if a 6 is rolled on the first bonus die.

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:28 am

demos606 wrote:
Mack wrote:
And here's some more fun: Some folks have a rule that if you earn the bonus die, and if you roll a 6 on it, then you get to roll an additional 1D6 (for a possible max score of 30).

For even more fun, Splicers (p169), BtS2(iirc) and R:UE (p279) made this 5th die official if a 6 is rolled on the first bonus die.
Ah, but only for those games.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
demos606 wrote:
Mack wrote:

Huh. Had no idea it was in R:UE.

Thanks,
Mack

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Hero

Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
*looks about ..

i didn't see a soap box. did anyone else? ... :lol:

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:04 am

Champion

Soooo this reminds me of a conversation I JUST had with my friend regarding Palladium stats and real life. My point was that einstein apparently wouldn't get a skill bonus because he wasn't smart enough (his IQ was never really measured but estimated to be between 140-180), his was that yes eisntein was stupid because he got that reletivity thing wrong and it just degenerated from there as I gave him a look of incredulity and called him some choice names.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Knight

Einstien wrong :rolleyes: ya and im a mutated pig-man
but, beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder. i for one do not like blondes, i dont care if they are the most gorgeous thing on the block i dont like them. i prefer brunettes and oriental women, my brother likes hispanic girls and blondes, and my cousin likes any type of women. there are guys out there with fetishes that find say a fat women or a starving anerix women attracive, so beauty really can only be "realitvly" rated. for instance if a women with a a great body were to walk by me with blonde hair i wouldnt give her a second look, but if her hair was brunette i would probible stare (noticible) and get mace in my eyes. so with diffirint people comes diffirint likes and dislikes on what they prefer has thier chosen Human form. And this probible goes for women aswell.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Champion

so they would suffer a penalty while the brunettes would then get a bonus

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:35 am

Knight

KillWatch wrote:
so they would suffer a penalty while the brunettes would then get a bonus

Correct :ok:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Hero

about time us non-blondes got something for not being brain-dead ...

and no offense was meant if i offended any blondes out there

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Dungeon Crawler

shiiv-a wrote:

You know...i think we're all redheads and brunettes :P i haven't seen any blondes here, at least.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:39 am

Knight

hippie_mama wrote:
shiiv-a wrote:

You know...i think we're all redheads and brunettes :P i haven't seen any blondes here, at least.

Redheads are hot!!! too :ok:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Hero

Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
duck-foot wrote:

Yup, I'd have to agree with you there, DF.

Okay, so somewhere back in the beginning of this thread (is it really six pages? Wow!), someone was talking about super-high PB's not getting too many negatives. Okay, this might not make sense to some of you, but it's the way I run this particular rule in my game. My wife has an elven archer whose PB is ungodly high (not her fault, she rolled it that way and the bonuses from the skills she selected helped, she really didn't want a goddess, but that's what she got). Then she wound up catching the eye of Cirga the Bowman (a member of Rurga's Pantheon in PF) and he seduced her. To make a long story longer, the god was so impressed with this woman that he wanted to give her something, and he made her PB supernatural. (In my games, this gives an Awe Factor, which is the opposite of a Horror Factor, which is what a character in my games would get for a low Supernatural PB.) Anyway, she was already one of the prettiest mortals on the planet, and now she's gorgeous enough to make just about any goddess jealous and any god... uhm... let's say stimulated. She now finds herself the center of attention wherever she goes, which makes it very hard to sneak into town unnoticed, or do just about anything else unnoticed. I should probably also mention that this poor woman has been raped more times than she can count. This character is one of my favorites, because my wife plays her to a tee and has taken all of this in stride, just building on her character's personality with all the adversity. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is that a super high PB does in fact have a down side, and a smart GM would make sure the "barbie'd up" characters knew it.

Okay, 'nuff said. Ciao. 8)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Knight

im surprised the god that went after her wasnt Zues. the one god well known for his infedelity

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:33 pm

Sosyourfacist

Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!
Northern Ranger wrote:
duck-foot wrote:

Yup, I'd have to agree with you there, DF.

Okay, so somewhere back in the beginning of this thread (is it really six pages? Wow!), someone was talking about super-high PB's not getting too many negatives. Okay, this might not make sense to some of you, but it's the way I run this particular rule in my game. My wife has an elven archer whose PB is ungodly high (not her fault, she rolled it that way and the bonuses from the skills she selected helped, she really didn't want a goddess, but that's what she got). Then she wound up catching the eye of Cirga the Bowman (a member of Rurga's Pantheon in PF) and he seduced her. To make a long story longer, the god was so impressed with this woman that he wanted to give her something, and he made her PB supernatural. (In my games, this gives an Awe Factor, which is the opposite of a Horror Factor, which is what a character in my games would get for a low Supernatural PB.) Anyway, she was already one of the prettiest mortals on the planet, and now she's gorgeous enough to make just about any goddess jealous and any god... uhm... let's say stimulated. She now finds herself the center of attention wherever she goes, which makes it very hard to sneak into town unnoticed, or do just about anything else unnoticed. I should probably also mention that this poor woman has been raped more times than she can count. This character is one of my favorites, because my wife plays her to a tee and has taken all of this in stride, just building on her character's personality with all the adversity. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is that a super high PB does in fact have a down side, and a smart GM would make sure the "barbie'd up" characters knew it.

Okay, 'nuff said. Ciao. 8)

interesting point, but I find the inclusion of rape count to high to number, to be a tad disturbing, but whatever floats your boat :nh:

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Hero

Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:
interesting point, but I find the inclusion of rape count to high to number, to be a tad disturbing, but whatever floats your boat :nh:

Okay, I may have overstated that. Probably trying to hard to drive home a point. (I was also very tired when I wrote that post! lol)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Knight

sawg138 wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:

Okay, I may have overstated that. Probably trying to hard to drive home a point. (I was also very tired when I wrote that post! lol)

What's the point, hot chicks get raped in fantasy settings? I do agree there are many potential pitfalls with excessively high PB scores, but rape shouldn't figure that prominently.

well actually depending on the time. depends on how common it is. in a modern world like ours, it is less common than it was back in the days of St.George, although no were near as common as in the cave days, and in the future it will probible be less common they now.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

Dungeon Crawler

*ahem* that girl needs more combat skills, pure and simple.

Being abused like that should cause her to be properly bloodthirsty--it would make perfect sense for her to seek out someone (in the group or otherwise) to teach her martial arts or a(nother?) weapons proficiency.

Maybe a goddess could take pity on her, and give her a rune chastity belt that shoots crotch-level lightning bolts or something :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:07 am

Knight

hippie_mama wrote:

Being abused like that should cause her to be properly bloodthirsty--it would make perfect sense for her to seek out someone (in the group or otherwise) to teach her martial arts or a(nother?) weapons proficiency.

Maybe a goddess could take pity on her, and give her a rune chastity belt that shoots crotch-level lightning bolts or something :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: oh thats funny

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Hero

Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
hippie_mama wrote:

Just to lay this line of conversation to rest (i really didn't intend it to get so out of hand) she did in fact get more combat skills. In fact, a lot more. Her parents were clergy of the Sect of Rurga, and the Goddess herself took an interest in the character. Now she is not only a Longbowman but is considered an honorary Palladin as well. No one lays a hand on her anymore without her say so.

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 am

Knight

Well, in canon (R:UE at least), exceptionaly high PB's give massive negatives to prowl. This is in the case of urban settings mind you; where someone gets a glimpse of 6-pack abbs (on male) or great legs / -ahem- "tracts of land" on the fems and just can't stop starring..and will even piint out said god(dess) to others.

Then there is the T.F.O.S. rule; "When one has a higher than average attractiveness, they are prone to fan boys / girls hounding them where ever they go, up to and including in the washroom" :D

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Knight

sawg138 wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Well, in canon (R:UE at least), exceptionaly high PB's give massive negatives to prowl.

I never understood that rule. Either you see the person or you don't.

Hey.. I don't even begin to state I understand the rule, I'm just playing devils advocate here.
Guess Kevin Siembiada's thinking (hehehehe I know; oxymoron there), is that prowl has two applications; one is for "losing your self in a crowd " and the other for "move like shadow / ninja"
-meh- it's all a moot point to me anyhoo.. I really don't care what any of you think on this point

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Hero

hmm .. i think that we can term it up as the following *refers to the uber high PB factor and the prowling ... not the insults flying about so stop it and start thinking ... =p *

think of the HOTTEST artist or movie star you know of. and then think of how you would react once you see them. MOST would be 'oh my god .. its ... *insert name here* .. hey i LOVED your *talent/song/movie*. can i have your autograph? .. HEY why are you walking away? .. *NAME yelled out and points* ' ...

end result? .. NO privacy for said person. THAT is the point of the negatives to prowl that is being brought up. me? .. i sincerely doubt that i'ld bat an eye if i ran into one of the current/hot stars ... why? .. i'm not uber involved in another's life and what they do. i like movies cause of the name or what its about .. i like songs not artists .. etc. thats me, and i'm NOT the average person

but the thing is .. high PB's will cause negative reactions ... think of the spurned fan above. that 'awe' factor and 'heart throb' has just become 'horror factor' and 'utterly hated' ...

nuff said now?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:12 pm

Hero

PB can definately have a negative impact. People will tend to remember you, word spreads of your deeds faster when your exceptionally pretty or ugly.
A gunslinger in my campaign (who expired in today's festivities), has the problem of high PB and gets noticed on the street because of it ("hey its that pretty man with the fast draw, look out!") Just depends on how your GM wants to role play it I suppose.

Side note: The slinger's eyes are now in a jar of formaldehide, a trophy of the NPC organizatoin that killed him. Ain't pretty no more!

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Hero

oh man .. too funny

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 pm

Hero

i had this HORRIBLE and utterly downright nasty thought

what IF ...

a good sized acid balloon in the face will cure that. -10 to PB from the scarring and discoloring and the burns and holes in the face .. in the first melee .. an additional -1 for ever melee action after that IF the 'washes face' or 'neutralizes the acid' doesn't happen. and we're not even talking about the pain factor from the sudden attack or from the fact you feel it burning and melting off ...

my my my .. what would the pretty barbie dolls think then? ... it could happen. oh .. i guess that would cause an insanity of some sort as well ... wouldn't it? now what would the damage of that be? would it be by the ounce? .. or the gallon? .. *is now curious and heads of in search of hte answer someplace

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 am

Explorer

Location: Lost in the Old Kingdom with no book to find my way out.
I could search for this, but I'm lazy.....Does anyone know if PB turns to awe or horror factor at some point. I assume awe/horror factor is all outer apperance since you need to save at the sight of the being. PB is also outer apperances. It makes seems to me super-high PB would have an awe factor, and super-low would have a horror factor.

Can you guys answer this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Hero

Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
twhaley wrote:
I could search for this, but I'm lazy.....Does anyone know if PB turns to awe or horror factor at some point. I assume awe/horror factor is all outer apperance since you need to save at the sight of the being. PB is also outer apperances. It makes seems to me super-high PB would have an awe factor, and super-low would have a horror factor.

Can you guys answer this?

I don't know if there's anything in canon about it, but I've always used a house rule that if the PB in question is Supernatural then it gives a Horror or Awe Factor. (High PB is awe, Low is horror, of course.) It seems to make sense to me, since most of the beings listed as having such factors are considered supernatural. (Demons and angels for example.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:20 am

Knight

i think they would have to be really ugly to be given a hororfactor. id say a PB of 4 or lower. Most supernatural creatures hororfactor comes from their aura. Im not certian if Supernatural PB gives an Awe/Horor, but i would think so, giving thier nature.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:24 am

Explorer

Well, an ogre has an average PB of 7 and a horror factor of 10, with nothing supernatural going on there. A troll has an average PB of 7.5 and a horror factor of 12, with the only differance being size.

So, I think you could work out a formula with PB and size giving you a horror/awe factor.

What do you think?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:03 pm

Hero

Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
I think you're on to something there Haley. In fact, I would say that a character with a low PB (i.e. Ogres and Trolls) whose PB goes supernatural could in fact double their HF. I don't know what the rule would be for Awe Factor, but I've always ruled in game that Supernatural PB 16 starts with Awe Factor 7 and gets a +1 AF point every three points of PB thereafter. It seems to work for me.

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
twhaley wrote:
Well, an ogre has an average PB of 7 and a horror factor of 10, with nothing supernatural going on there. A troll has an average PB of 7.5 and a horror factor of 12, with the only differance being size.

So, I think you could work out a formula with PB and size giving you a horror/awe factor.

What do you think?

not really. PB has nothing to do with horror factor, it's the monsterousness of a being that determines it. you can be butt-ass ugly and not give anyone serious pause in a life-and-death situation (troll), or be sublimely beautiful and still be frightening (Dragon)

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 am

Champion

My GM has us role 4D6 for humans and my two lowest stats normally go to speed and PB, unless there is a reason my character has to be uber hot....like my saloon girl, or they are naturally more attractive like my Alantean smuggler, or my elves. Most of my female characters are average PB, smart, and anything but girlie girls. As for body building lower PB I think it would depend on the character. I knew a girl that was a female body builder who was very girlie, and pretty. unless she was competing you couldn't even tell she was a body builder she just looked very fit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am

Explorer

Quote:
not really. PB has nothing to do with horror factor, it's the monsterousness of a being that determines it. you can be butt-ass ugly and not give anyone serious pause in a life-and-death situation (troll), or be sublimely beautiful and still be frightening (Dragon)

I don't know if I buy it. I know it's in the books, but I'm just going off of logic here. How can something be horrific yet beautiful at the same time? I'm a big fan of horror whether it's film, literature, music or art, but I know that the "beauty" of it is not caught at first sight. PB is external beauty and is perceived at initial viewing. So, I don't know if dragons with high PB and HF can really exist. High PB and AF, yes definitely.

Also, you're saying horror factor is monsterousness. Isn't "monster" a relative term. Frankenstein's monster was viewed by most as a monster, but by some (blind man, little girl) as just different. Anyone who's worked in a hospital as seen people who were born with "monsterous" features, certainly these people can be just as beutiful as any on the inside, but do they in your book get a HF. And finally, I just watched a documentory on the Enron thing, and I got to say those guys could out monster any ogre or troll that I've GMed.

I'm just questioning the system, not trying to be a pest.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.