New O.C.C.

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

New O.C.C.

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

All-new Systems Failure O.C.C., the Sniper
They are also known as the Super-shooter, Long-Range Lunatic, Canon Carrier, and Puddle-Maker.

Shortly before the crash, a small group of former military Special Forces were discharged for various reasons (mainly mental and psychological issues) and found themselves in Alaska. One of the men had inherited an old gold mine in the area, and so he set up shop with his friends. He was just getting started when the Bugs invaded. So he and his friends holed up for a while (gotta love being prepared for anything, you can literally go underground, and emerge well armed for what comes next) and emerged several months later to find a changed world.

The first thing they did was make a few trips to nearby towns to find supplies (medicines, food [perishable and non], ammo, guns, clothes, etc), what they found were survivors, and a big @$$ problem. Bugs were swarming the town, killing everybody in sight, smashing things, and generally making mayhem. The dischargies managed to save a few folks, and watched as most of the town was marched off to be bugged. This would not stand; they might not be in the military anymore, but they still wanted to defend their country. They took what provisions they could carry, and set off after the Bugs. After a few days of recon, they managed to free a good portion of the humans, and created enough chaos {i.e. explosions and fires} that they were able to slip out relatively unscathed.

Of course after all that, not only did they have the Bugs hunting for them with a vengeance, but the survivors were looking to them for leadership. They managed to get all the way back to the gold mine, and set things up as a military unit, and began calling themselves the Tundra Knights. With a few dozen extras backs to help, they managed to get a large portion of the mine excavated, shored up, and converted into living spaces. One thing they found, which was a god-send, was an underground river. They were able to set up a hydro-electric generator out of spare parts and equipment, so they had lights and a reasonable amount of power. A few more raids into nearby deserted towns, and they were reasonably well stocked with supplies for several years to come, and gathered enough survivors that their little group grew several times over.

Then they began to train their ‘troops’ in the arts of war. After each group had mastered the basics, they were sent off to the Knight who could compliment their natural skills and abilities best. After a while, they knew that they had the makings of a fairly decent militia, but were seriously lacking in the heavy firepower department. On one foray into different towns, they hit what would be nothing short of gold mine of resources and information. They met another dischargie, one who had found a warehouse with machining equipment, equipment that could be re-tooled to make guns and shells.

They managed to drag most of the equipment back to the gold mine and put it to work. Their newest Knight was a former Sniper, and knew that the weapons that the group had scavenged just wouldn’t cut the mustard against the Bugs thick amour. So he teamed up with the resident explosives expert, and after a few months of trial and error, not to mention severe mental effort, they came out with some new guns with a brand new, much more powerful gunpowder. These new guns were relatively crude, but they had undeniable stopping power, not to mention had fantastic range. The only real problems were their size, the limited ammo capacity, the recoil, and the incredibly loud boom (loud even with earplugs in).

Realizing that to properly use these guns the users would have to make every shot count, the potentials were put through grueling training regimens, forced through situations that would make Hell Week look like a walk in the park. The end result was a group of dedicated snipers who could pick apart any Bug in short order, who could use their every shot to the betterment of the team, and had no compunction against using lethal force against the enemy (whoever they might be).

Sniper O.C.C.
“Of course I can hit ‘em. I can shoot the nuts out of a starving squirrel’s mouth.”

Alignment Restriction: None really, most tend to be Scrupulous or Aberrant though.
Alignment Attributes: P.S. and M.E. of at least 20 (if you can’t get it by using your skill choices, you can’t be a Sniper, sorry), high P.E. a plus, but not required.
Base S.D.C.: 35
O.C.C. Abilities and bonuses:
1) Big-Honking Gun Handling: This refers to their ability to use the Clydesdale Super-Sniper Rifle. Only those who take this Weapon Skill can use this fearsome weapon (and they must have a P.S. of at least 20 I order to do so), if you don’t, well too bad. This weapon is so sensitive and specialized that any other O.C.C. uses up 2 W.P. choices.

2) Long Shot Hero: So long as they take 3 actions per shot, the Sniper can ignore any minuses to strike (due to the size of the target or the range involved, speed will still foul them up but only at half penalty) due to their in-depth training, and their superb weaponry. This only applies to targets more than 100 yards away, any closer, and the Sniper looses this ability.

3) Long Range Striker: +2 to strike with ranged weapons, due to the intensity of their training.

O.C.C. Skill Program: Wilderness Survival (+15%), Basic Military (+10%), and one Military Skill Program (+5%), or one other basic program of choice.

O.C.C. Related/ Secondary Skills: are the same as the Exterminator O.C.C.
Standard Equipment: Clydesdale Super-Sniper Rifle with 20 Big-Big Boom shells, one ‘normal’ rifle (semi-auto or single shot only to begin with) with three extra clips (plus one in the weapon) or shotgun with appropriate amount of shells), one suit of light-weight body armor, basic survival gear, and one bag with two dozen horseshoe ‘claim’ tokens (these are used to mark their kills. Each sniper will, time and circumstances permitting, place one on the forehead area of a bug kill).

Money: 1d6x$100 in precious metals and trade items, but travels fairly light (aside from guns and ammo, of course).

Upside: You can stomp just about any Bug in existence without fear. From a distance that is; up close, you tend to be a bit of a lightweight. You just need to squish ‘em before they get close, and that’s what you excel at.

Downside: You tend to be fairly cold and detached, not really caring about friendly casualties, just so long as you can squish some bugs. And all your power comes from your gun, whose bullets weigh a pound each. And your going deaf, every level above one, you have a 10% chance of losing the hearing in one ear (GM’s, use your discretion on penalties). First time this happens, you are only temporarily deafened for about six months, second time, permanently.
Use the Survivalist Experience Table

Clydesdale Super-Sniper Rifle (a.k.a. the Puddle-Maker, due to their tendency to turn people into puddles): Special Sniper Rifle with devastating power, accuracy, and range. Each one of these rifles must be individually hand crafted over the course of several weeks, and weighs almost 50 pounds. It’s over five feet long, very crude and ungainly looking, and is customized for the grip of the owner (anyone else, even with the Big-Honking Gun Handling skill is at a -3 to strike with it). The recoil from this monstrosity is so powerful, that it cannot be fired in the standing position (attempting to do so will knock the idiot flat on their keister, costing them 2 action points, and loosing them initiative for the next round), kneeling or prone only.
Range: An outstanding one half mile, comes with a very good scope for those long distance shots.
Damage: 2d4x10 as a rifle, but this behemoth is so big, it can be used as a 2d4 club (but at -2 to strike and parry[each strike or parry with the barrel carries a 1% cumulative chance of misaligning the barrel. If the barrel is misaligned, roll a 20 sided die each time it is fired. Anything over 16 is a total miss, and a natural 20 means the shell totally backfires, and hits the user for double damage. It costs about $200 per percentile to fix this gun, so don’t use it as a club unless you have to, it can also only be fixed at the main base.].)
Ammo capacity: One, in the pipe. Takes one action to remove old shell and reload.
Fate of fire: 2 actions, one to fire and one to reload, or 4 actions, 3 for Long Shot Hero and one to reload.
Cost: Absolute bare minimum of $40,000, plus the cost of materials, plus about $20,000 for training, and six months to a year for training. The shells, Big-Big Boom shells cost $50 a piece, and can only be bought from the Tundra Knights. (So this is not something that the average Joe will be able to learn, and they must meet the requirements for using this weapon, and are subject to the penalties as well.)
Last edited by Roscoe Del'Tane on Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Very Interesting.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Well done, I like it.
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Thanks for the feed back guys! :D I was kinda ticked when I re-read the book and it said that most of AK was considered bugged... we wouldn't go down that easily, no way, no how. I actually got the idea for the base from my grandpa, a paranoid bigoted @$$, who had an actual, honest-to-God fallout shelter in his gold mine.

I had read a couple of the other threads talking about makeshift weaponry, and after a few days of no sleep and half a dozen Dr. Peppers, had the basic idea for the Tundra Knights. Then I had the idea for the Clydesdale; I always thought that there needed to be more sniper-centric rifles in the palladium games, and I came up with the granddaddy of them all! Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha Cough! Hack! Wheeze! Darn asthma.

Okay, better now. Any ways I just wanted a person who could take out a couple bugs fairly easily, but couldn't really stand up to them in a prolonged/close quarters fight. I hope that I did a good job balancing the class out, I’ve never actually wrote one up before, and I am somewhat of a power gamer. Hope the Long-Range Lunatic isn’t too over powered for those wanting a normal game.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

What caliber is it? 25mm?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

GhostKnight wrote:What caliber is it? 25mm?

Uhh, really big? :ugh:

Sorry, I really don't know much about guns (other than basic gun safety), I'll get back on this when I know some more, but probably at least .50 cal, most likely more.

Most of my knowledge boils down to this; the bigger the number, the bigger the bullet, the more punch it has. Sorry about that, it's been about 10 years since I really did any shooting, so everything's kinda leaked out of my head, gotta take a couple refresher courses first; otherwise I'll sound like an idiot, or have people complaining that it couldn't be that size with that set up... Me fix caliber as soon as I can make an educated approximation.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Ouch...I'd call my rifle 'Bug-Spatter'.....
Nice job!

I believe the Russians had a shotgun in 23mm....recoil was nearly as dangerous as the shell(shell, NOT bullet) itself....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

GhostKnight wrote:What caliber is it? 25mm?

Probably in any large Bore cartridge that they could lay their hands on. Me I would believe that a .416 Rigby would be enough to take down a bug...but, I am Biased towards a "Family-Designed" round. that and British Officers used a few of them to punch holes in German "Sniperplate/ Gunshields" durring WWI.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

“Of course I can hit ‘em. I can shoot the nuts out of a starving squirrel’s mouth.”

That is an awesome quote! Where did it come from?
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Guy_LeDouche wrote:That is an awesome quote! Where did it come from?

...I think I came up with it. In the New Powers sticky on th HU thread I put out a power called Sharpshot (around page 134 or so), and used something similar, and just altered it to fit here. I think it was based off of a movie quote or something, but I can't remember it for the life of me (Punches own head in annoyance; Stupid Brain! Start Working!). If it is a movie quote or the like, I have no idea what it was, as I had been up for almost three straight days and had six or seven sodas within half an hour when I typed the O.C.C. up. Major sugar rush and caffeine buzz.

[Grimaces] Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but I can't. I'll let you know if I remember what it was based off of.
Last edited by Roscoe Del'Tane on Wed May 09, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Ouch...I'd call my rifle 'Bug-Spatter'.....

I kinda borrowed the name from a book, there was this alien who had a Big-Honking rifle that every called his Puddler, due to it's tendancy to turn people into puddles; I loved the name so much, I had to put it in this O.C.C. (with a minor change so it wouldn't be plaguarism or however you spell it).

Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Somehow the OCC does nothing for me. then again I have seen the results of a .50 BMG anti-Material rifle firsthand.

Then again maybe it's because I can make a .50 BMG rifle in my garage in less time, chambered for a common round, weights 20lbs. less and has at least twice the range. Plus on top of all that can be used by most ordinary humans.

Some days I hate being one of the resident "Gun Nuts" on Palladium forums. :-(
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Tearstone
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Tearstone »

Rockwolf66 wrote:Somehow the OCC does nothing for me. then again I have seen the results of a .50 BMG anti-Material rifle firsthand.

Then again maybe it's because I can make a .50 BMG rifle in my garage in less time, chambered for a common round, weights 20lbs. less and has at least twice the range. Plus on top of all that can be used by most ordinary humans.

Some days I hate being one of the resident "Gun Nuts" on Palladium forums. :-(

Agreed. I would say that a Barret light .50 cal would be a better, more practical weapon. I've recently been tooling around with the idea in my own stuff. Been doing some writing about a NORAD Spec/Psi Ops team deployed into the panhandle of Texas. The team sniper carries a Barret, and when the big iron says sit down even the biggest Bugs have to listen.

Oh what the hell, I might as well type up the stats for it. I haven't been able to find stats for this gun and I have almost all of Palladium's publications. Perhaps the other gun-nuts can help me tweak the stats if they think they're off.

Actually there's several models put out by Barret, so I might as well do them all.

Name: Barret Model 82A1
Cartridge: .416 Barret or .50 Cal
Weight: 30 lbs
Length: 29 or 20 in (57 or 48 in)
Feed: Semi-automatic, burst fire not possible
Payload: 10 per magazine
Effective Range: 1500 meters
Max Range: 2200 meters (only snipers can expect a hit at this range)
Damage: 1D6X10 SDC

Name: Barret Model 99
Cartridge: .416 Barret or .50 Cal
Weight: 25 lbs
Length: 29 to 32 in (50 in to 47 in overall)
Feed: Single shot; bolt action
Payload: 1
Effective Range: 1600 meters
Max Range: 2500 meters
Damage: 1D6X10

Name: Barret Model 95
Cartridge: .50 Cal BMG
Weight: 23.5 pounds
Length: 29 in (45 in overall)
Feed: Bolt action, aimed shot only, magazine fed
Payload: 10
Effective Range: 1600 meters
Max Range: 2500 meters
Damage: 1D6X10

Each of these excellent rifles are similar, and have advantages and drawbacks.

The 82A1 has higher speed out of the guns but is a little bulkier and not quite as accurate. The Model 99 is lighter and is very reliable and accurate, but is only single shot. The Model 95 has the capacity of the 82A1 but the distance of the 99, and the staying power of the 82A1.

Also these weapon systems come with three tasty rounds. The first is the standard round, but the other two are the tasty Zircon Anti-armor/Anti-personnel and an explosive/incindiary round.

The Zircon round is designed to punch through walls and armor due to the Zirconium tip. Once through the wall the impact sets off a small RDX charge causing the bullet casing to explode like a shotgun blast on the other side.
Damage: 3D6 to armor, 1D6x10 to vehicle occupants or targets on other side of wall. May have a 3 foot blast radius. Note: Direct hit on human target only does 6D6 due to the sharpness of the tip and reduced crush-factor and temorary cavity in the body.

Incindiary round damage: 1D6 to 2 ft radius, but ignites fuels and flammables immediately. GM to determine damage per round. Note: If this round hits a human target damage is 2D4x10 due to having an explosion go off inside the body.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Re: New O.C.C.

Unread post by ZINO »

wow!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Re: New O.C.C.

Unread post by dargo83 »

love it i love them all