Forgotten or Dead gods

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Forgotten or Dead gods

Unread post by MrMom »

Does anyone ever actually use Forgotten or Dead gods and do you use myths or make up your own
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Forgotten some what, Dead not so much. Dead.. tend to be dead. Though the parts of Osiris? (I think thats the one) poping up in Rifts I suppose counts.

It all depends on the game I suppose. I tend not to pull things like deific powers into it, or if I do it's only a sort of skirting touch. Unless it's say a fantasy setting where gods are very common and have many priests and the like as it seem Rifts Earth may be on the cusp of just starting to have priests with an actual real Deity to grant them power (Such as Isis having worshipers in Madhaven)

Certainly it would give me an excuse to use the various rules governing such things out of the Gods and Dragons book. :D
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

No, not yet anyway.

I have used deific-level beings on occasion (i.e. an unnamed Alien Intelligence and a race that monitors several places in the Megaverse). I've even used some "sensitive" lore in my Rifts campaign (i.e. they got to see the Spear of Destiny), but not really forgotten or dead gods.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

Yes, one of my favorite forgotten gawds to use is Mithras and occasionally Sumerian or Babylonian gawds.

In fantasy games, I have created my own gawds and myths and had a grand ole time doing it. ;)

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
DocS
Adventurer

On Gods

Unread post by DocS »

Making up gods is an interesting way to really set a tone for your world. How are the battle lines drawn?

Good Vs Evil are the simplest (have two pantheons at war),

Law Vs Chaos (Less cliche, but not by much),

Nature vs Technological (there's an interesting bunch of things to base gods off of),

Are all the gods 'neutral', but each with a purpose (the Greeks had no god of 'evil' or 'good', they only had Gods of 'thing').

Perhaps the Gods are all alien things, folks don't know what they want, but they have some odd relationship with them since they do respond... sorta.

When you decide what your gods are for, you're actually deciding what ideas are the most important in your World. The pre-existing gods are things that were important to people millenia ago (Every pantheon has a deity devoted to *harvest* for pete's sake!), but if you're making for a modern audience, different ideas are important.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

If you were to ask anyone that has played in my largst campaign, called the Shadow War, who my most memorable villain was, they will all tell you the same thing. The Shadow God. My own creation, and uber-powerful, to be sure. I'll not go into all the details here, but suffice it to say that his creation and that of the religion that surrounds him and eventually lead to the shadow war took me something like three years. The campaign that I ran, with him as the prime villain, ran for almost twice that long the first time. (I have run it twice.) Is it worth it to create your own gods? You'd better believe it! 8)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

One of my PC's has an interesting subplot. His mother was a worshiper of a god of Magic from some far corner of the Megaverse. At a Victory party she met a charming man and wound up prego. Her Daughter is a demigodess. who her daddy is is a question. Did his mothers god pay her a visit? What do you do when the stubborn brat you call a sister has enough power at her disposal to destroy large sections of the landscape?
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Sure I've used God/Jesus, Thor, Isis and a slew of othes. I usually tend to use The PF gods as Ascended Gods and others as Eternal who ahve been there since the beginning or before time
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A few of my chars are the followers of one of the old elvish gods, the Goddess Anari: goddess of Fertility and magic.

She was just the Fertiliy goddess till she assumed the mantle of the god of magic during the chaose wars. With the coming of the new gods, her panthion just wandered away from the world of The Palladium, as they lost their followers.
As a (now) a minior Deity, she chooses her preists herself from the ranks of her followers, ussuly before they are born.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

theres a the nameless God of Palladium fantasy... he is nameless because he is so old that no one knows his name and he has no church any more. its believed that he created the palladium of desires.. the original one, not the one at the town of a dozen fraks.
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

I've been mixing in deities from the Chinese pantheon. Very, very slow, trying to figure out who does what. But my players enjoy it.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

KillWatch wrote:Sure I've used God/Jesus, Thor, Isis and a slew of othes. I usually tend to use The PF gods as Ascended Gods and others as Eternal who ahve been there since the beginning or before time

Curious, have you considered using the prophet Muhammed? Oh wait, that would lead to people burning cars and buildings in France. On second thought...

:D --GJ.
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Natalya wrote:I've been mixing in deities from the Chinese pantheon. Very, very slow, trying to figure out who does what. But my players enjoy it.

Interesting! Which gods and/or deities have you been using, may I ask? If possible, would you post some of their stats/info you used for them?

Thanks!!

"Wujcik rules!!!"
Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

Use forgotten gods in our campaign? Hell we have two godlings and a demigod who are from the Norse Pantheons.

And our GM had a wonderful time having a dragon disguised as a priest talk about religion... really silly when when he said "Remove your shoe in church!". Though this what just to screw with the HU mutants.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Goblin-Jack wrote:
Natalya wrote:I've been mixing in deities from the Chinese pantheon. Very, very slow, trying to figure out who does what. But my players enjoy it.

Interesting! Which gods and/or deities have you been using, may I ask? If possible, would you post some of their stats/info you used for them?

Thanks!!

Well, I've never actually statted them. Never had a need to, to be perfectly honest.

I've used the Jade Emperor, Queen Mother Wang, Pan Chin Lien (patron of prostitutes), T'Shai Shen (patron of wealth), Hou Chi (patron of harvest), and maybe a couple of others. I usually use them in name only (a group of NPCs who talk of them or make offerings to them), but I did have a funny side adventure where the PCs had to clean up the mess following the Patron of Prostitutes as she was making a tour of the mortal realm.
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Natalya wrote: I usually use them in name only (a group of NPCs who talk of them or make offerings to them), but I did have a funny side adventure where the PCs had to clean up the mess following the Patron of Prostitutes as she was making a tour of the mortal realm.

Oh dear lord. You have no soul do you? :lol:

Return to “G.M.s Forum”