Attribute Roles and Pre-requisites for Non-human Characters

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Attribute Roles and Pre-requisites for Non-human Charact

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Cirlot wrote:A simple question, but I'd like to have the powers that be weigh in on it before I bring it to my GM.

When playing a nonhuman race/D-bee, can stat pre-requisites for O.C.C.s preclude a race from selecting it if the pre-requisite is higher than the max possible stat for the race?

For example, a Changeling on Rifts Earth wants to become a Lord Magus in service of Dweomer. Lord Magus' have a minimum P.E. requisite of 13, but the Changeling rolls only 2d6 for his/her P.E. stat. Can the changeling become a lord magus if he rolled the max possible (12) on the 2d6 and took skills to boost his P.E. stat over 13 after O.C.C. selection, or is the Changeling barred from ever becoming a Lord Magus?

This presumes that nonhumans do NOT enjoy the exceptional rolls that humans do during character creation. That has become the standard ruleset used by my GMs as of late.

IIRC, if you roll 2d6 for an attribute, and you roll a 12, then you get another d6 to add into things.

Other than that, the best you could do is to have your Changeling start off as a different OCC, build up his PE through skills, then switch OCCs to the Lord Magus.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Cirlot wrote:A simple question, but I'd like to have the powers that be weigh in on it before I bring it to my GM.

When playing a nonhuman race/D-bee, can stat pre-requisites for O.C.C.s preclude a race from selecting it if the pre-requisite is higher than the max possible stat for the race?

For example, a Changeling on Rifts Earth wants to become a Lord Magus in service of Dweomer. Lord Magus' have a minimum P.E. requisite of 13, but the Changeling rolls only 2d6 for his/her P.E. stat. Can the changeling become a lord magus if he rolled the max possible (12) on the 2d6 and took skills to boost his P.E. stat over 13 after O.C.C. selection, or is the Changeling barred from ever becoming a Lord Magus?

This presumes that nonhumans do NOT enjoy the exceptional rolls that humans do during character creation. That has become the standard ruleset used by my GMs as of late.

Yes, I would allow skills as such.

but yes: this may also mean that some D-bees are simply incapable of ever taking certain OCC's.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Yeah I'd say it would preclude the 'average' and even a number of exceptional members of that race from ever taking OCC X.

But you do get that extra d6 roll. The only time it's been stated that you do NOT get that extra d6 on a max roll is if the attribute in question gets a bonus to it.

IE: 3d6+2 would not, by the rules get an extra d6 on 16-18. Personally I allow it anyway but thats me.

Other than that they get the extra dice roll regardless of how many dice are in the base attribute. The only thing that changes is the roll required for the bonus die roll.

Going by the logic at least on a 2d6 attribute you'd get an extra 1d6 on a roll of 10-12. On a 4d6 attribute you'd get an extra d6 on a 22-24 etc. In the end it's entirely up to the GM really.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Yes definatly, which is wy humans do have an advantage over many races they have no inherient weaknesses or limitations.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”