Saves against Telekinesis need help

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DocS
Adventurer

Re: Saves against Telekinesis need help

Unread post by DocS »

walross1978 wrote:Was wondering how other GM do a save against Telekinesis when TK is used to take weapons away from people. Do you guys use the standard save? Save based on persons strength holding the weapon? etc...

Oooh, there's one of the sad strange weaknesses of the Palladium system.

There is no good way for this. So whatever you do, it'll be better.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

walross1978 wrote:Was wondering how other GM do a save against Telekinesis when TK is used to take weapons away from people. Do you guys use the standard save? Save based on persons strength holding the weapon? etc...

Hey Walross, welcome to the boards.

There was a bit of a discussion on this here:

viewtopic.php?t=62733&highlight=telekinesis

It started regarding Super TK, but the principles are the same. Hope this helps.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

Bloodspray wrote:
DamonS wrote:

Oooh, there's one of the sad strange weaknesses of the Palladium system.

There is no good way for this. So whatever you do, it'll be better.

What do you mean? Weak how? Bad in what way?

Palladium has a major problem with opposed rolls. Concealment Vs Detect concealment, using a psionic power against someone else's power, etc...

This is a good example

So Telekinesis is a psionic ability. Mr TK tries to pull the gun out of guy's hand.

Tk doesn't have a 'strength' attached to it, only a weight limit, so if you do strength vs strength, you first have to back-calculate what the PS is from the TK (back-calculating sux). And even if you do that, Opposed rolls in Palladium mean.... what? Do you roll d20 and add PS, do you roll d20 and add strength *bonus*? How about normal strength 10 vs supernatural strength 10? How do you do the roll-off?

*meanwhile*, where does the Mind Melter's Mental Endurance play into it? One would think it should, but it doesn't. And does TK always hit the target? All the things that one would think should matter.... simply don't.

Another GREAT example is this situation.

Burster #1 "I burst into flames!" (bursts into flames)

Burster #2, "Oh no you don't!" (and then uses 'extinguish flame' on burster #1).

How do you resolve that? It's reasonable to think that a 15th level burster would be harder to extinguish than a 1st level burster.... but nothing in the game suggests how this would work. High ME vs Low ME Burster that also would matter. But in the game mechanic, it doesn't.
The end result requires a million house rules because the only thing in the game which is set up for opposition is "Strike... Parry".

If you try to stop someone from doing anything other than hitting you, then there is simply no good mechanic in Palladium to do it.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I would rule that a burster couldn't extinguish another's "Flame on". THe extinguish fire power, to my way of thinking, affects conventional fires not ones being fueled magically or psionically. I'd need to read over the burster description tonight to make a propoer judgement.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community

Return to “G.M.s Forum”