A different take on Ancient Weapons.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

ive always thought that every other attack with a big weapon would take 2 attacks. i hate math. but a good idea. keep workn on that. point is if it works for your table, then play on.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Melee is back and forth. The one with initiative attacks first. The defender gets a chance to parry or dodge (or simultaneous strike, I guess). Now the defender is the attacker. If there are only two fighters, repeat until attacks are exhausted. If one fighter has more attacks per melee round, then when the one with lesser attacks runs out, there is nothing left but to try to parry or auto-dodge. Like when facing multiple attackers. Multiple attackers means the one ganged upon will be out of attacks before the end of the melee round, but can still parry and auto-dodge the incoming attacks.

Round two goes exactly like round one, unless initiative has somehow changed (such as the one with initiative is knocked and loses initiative). Some GMs roll initiative every round, which is another way of changing initiative.
verdilak
Adventurer

Re: A different take on Ancient Weapons.

Unread post by verdilak »

Love the first part about the weapons and speed, though I don't really see how it would truly add anything to the experience of battle. Maybe just making a House Rule where daggers and whatnot get an extra attack per melee, swords and other one-handed weapons stay the same, and 2-handed weapons along with weapons of a certain weight and above lose 1 attack per melee.

Now, as far as the second part goes....

The same thing happens with skills that gain 5% per level but are never used. You can either make the character's skills only rise in level if they have actually used them a set number of times in that level, or just make them all rise at the same time. I prefer to make my games very realistic, but alas, realistic doesn't always make the game more fun, so I usually go wih the former instead of the latter even though the latter is more realistic IMHO. The same thing goes for weapons. [/quote]
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

strangley I have been working on just this sort of problem. Actually I been modifying the entire system and am nearing completion. The way I handle weapons, is that I made a tiered system, feat tree, power categories, whatever you want to call them. With each level of the WP, the player can select a category to increase his ability with the weapon, depending on the type of weapon he can increase his offensive, defensive or weapon speed skill. And since certain weapons are better at different aspects of combat, they have bonuses or limitations determining how they advance in the different catagories.

If anyone's interested in taking a gander at them, PM and I'll send you a copy.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

Of course, all this usually goes out the window when you are dealing with supernatural strength.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”