Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 am

D-Bee

So I've dug, and looked in the forums for the past few hours and couldn't find anything on it.

@ what PS would you allow someone(thing) to wield 2Hed weapons in one hand.

Human:ps
SuperNat:ps

I'm thinking around 40?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:49 am

Adventurer

At pretty much any reasonable point, say 15+. I'd also be slapping on a penalty of -2 to strike and parry and -1 die of damage though. Two handed weapons are not designed to be used single handed. They're big, clunky, unwieldy and generally meant to hurt horses or squash stuff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:17 am

Adventurer

Agreed, you'll be overcoming the balance of the 2-H weapon with brute force. Now, if you had a 1-H weapon scaled up, the answer would be different (IMO anyhow).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:49 am

D-Bee

While I agree the balance issue, my question is at what point does a characters PS allow them to overcome balance.

Reason I'm asking is I have a titan jucier in a campain and he believes he can wield 2 1H weapons with easy and I tend to agree with him, but I wanted others opinions.

Some thing to think about..

PS 15 Human carries between 150-200lbs
PS 15 SN carries between 750-1000lbs

Much less a PS of 40+ :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:45 am

Adventurer

His Titan Juicer can certainly wield 2 handed weapons one handed provided they're normal sized. Then again, most TJ's are sufficiently large to wield giant sized weapons.

As to when the strength can overcome the balance, my answer would be simply "Suck it up Princess." Small point of contact on a really long lever is going to make that weapon ungainly as all get to swing around one handed. Besides, when you're dealing with stupid levels of strength, does an extra damage die really matter?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Champion

Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...
Vision2700 wrote:
So I've dug, and looked in the forums for the past few hours and couldn't find anything on it.

@ what PS would you allow someone(thing) to wield 2Hed weapons in one hand.

Human:ps
SuperNat:ps

I'm thinking around 40?

I don't know, really... I can weild my great-grandfather's claymore one-handed, with little difficulty. And I'm not exceptionally strong.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:04 pm

D-Bee

No I'm sure the extra damage doesn't matter, because his punch damage is far more then that of any weapon. I have a house rule book called The Band-aids for Cannon. I'm sure with this guy it's 100% effect.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:01 am

Dungeon Crawler

Size matters too.

i would say even a Wolfen of average strength, or an especially tall elf, might be able to swing a two-handed sword with just one hand, because they would have a longer arm, therefore more leverage behind it.

In real-life terms, being 5'6," i seriously doubt i could do it, even if i made it my life goal and trained obsessively. My husband, at 6'4" on the other hand, most certainly could, if not expertly, then at least well-enough in a pinch, and maybe without *alot* of extra effort.

The PS number is relative.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:38 am

Hero

make it a graduated penalty system based on the characters attribute score so as to not disallow it altogether.

PS 10 or less -8

PS 11 to 15 -6

PS 16 to 20 -4

PS 21 to 25 -2

PS 26 to 30 ±0

then adjust the required attribute score for the different categories of strength.

1/4 lower for augmented strength

1/2 lower for cybernetic strength

3/4 lower for supernatural strength

this is all off of the top of my head, so it may need some adjustment but i think you will get the idea.

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 pm

D-Bee

Yep yep... already starting working on something like that myself (sliding scale)

Thx for the input.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:49 pm

Dungeon Crawler

i know that in one of the pf books there is a barbian who can wield two handed weapons Paird (as in one two handed weapon in each hand) ... i know this cause my character is a wolfen barbaian with this abiltity

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Adventurer

goodhometownboy wrote:
i know that in one of the pf books there is a barbian who can wield two handed weapons Paird (as in one two handed weapon in each hand) ... i know this cause my character is a wolfen barbaian with this abiltity

Yep- in the Northern Hinterlands book.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:35 pm

Knight

EPIC wrote:
make it a graduated penalty system based on the characters attribute score so as to not disallow it altogether.

PS 10 or less -8

PS 11 to 15 -6

PS 16 to 20 -4

PS 21 to 25 -2

PS 26 to 30 ±0

then adjust the required attribute score for the different categories of strength.

this is all off of the top of my head, so it may need some adjustment but i think you will get the idea.

Love the idea dude

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Dungeon Crawler

GreenGhost wrote:
goodhometownboy wrote:

thanks for the back up greenghost... if i remember right there is no penitlies for that character

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Hero

duck-foot wrote:
EPIC wrote:

PS 10 or less -8

PS 11 to 15 -6

PS 16 to 20 -4

PS 21 to 25 -2

PS 26 to 30 ±0

Love the idea dude

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Hero

goodhometownboy wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
goodhometownboy wrote:

thanks for the back up greenghost... if i remember right there is no penitlies for that character

i would personaly chalk that up to special training somehow unique to barbarians.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Dungeon Crawler

so basiclly anyone with trianing can do it.. or at least thats would i say... maybe add it too the martial art or assian but only if the character asked for it maybe buy level 5 or so

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:42 am

Hero

goodhometownboy wrote:

Wolfen huh...

I made a Gnome Barbarian who could wield two normal sized weapons 1 handed. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:24 am

Hero

Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
i may not know the system a well as everyone else .. but i had a thought on HOW it could be 'legally' done ...

* WP- Sword ...
that means you can wield a sword ...
* WP - paired means after spending time ..
you can now wield 2 swords ... well they are now the ONE-handed variety ...

now add into the mix if a character has the height of 6'+ .. and a minimum PS of 36 [normal] .. by taking a WP - Specialty sword .. that should be able to give you the wits and know how to handle the TWO-handed sword with one hand.

why the extra WP ? .. its a speciality and one that WONT give you negs to hit.
otherwise i would say at level 1 skill .. you are now currently at a -6 .. level 2 a - 4 .. level 3 a -2 ... and at the equiv of level 4 .. you have NO negatives and can work with bonuses.

but there .. its just MY thoughts on the subject. probably way too late to be of help . but still its a point of view that is a bit different

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:51 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I don't know how the thread got this far with this statement being brushed over.
Vrykolas2k wrote:
I can weild my great-grandfather's claymore one-handed, with little difficulty. And I'm not exceptionally strong.

Your great-grandfather's claymore?!? Awesome! Has it been in any battles?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:26 am

Champion

Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...
Mr. Pook wrote:
I don't know how the thread got this far with this statement being brushed over.
Vrykolas2k wrote:
I can weild my great-grandfather's claymore one-handed, with little difficulty. And I'm not exceptionally strong.

Your great-grandfather's claymore?!? Awesome! Has it been in any battles?

A few, especially in his great-grandfather's time.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Adventurer

Their is a rule in paladium I belive under the wolfen description (I think it is also in the weapons table) that states giant sized weapons get an additional D6 damage added to their W.P. (Wolfen fall into this catigory btw)

So technically a long sword giant sized is the equiv. (2D6 dmg +1D6 giant sized = 3D6) to a 2 handed long sword

"Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort you failed to resort to enough of it." ~ CaptRory

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Adventurer

wow..... another thread crashed? sorry guys.

"Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort you failed to resort to enough of it." ~ CaptRory

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:20 pm

D-Bee

i think it boils down to either they get special training ex. wp specialty or give to them at levl 5.

but if its specialty dont ya think there should be a penalty of a skill or two?

"Words cannot hurt the body and only sting the mind and emotions if one allows it. Hollow words are not worth fighting over. They are empty and meaningless."
F.O.M. pg. 72

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Champion

Character's strength has much to do with it, although without two hands can it be balanced and effectively used as a weapon?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.