Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:37 am

D-Bee

Should be the opening lines. I mean just those words bring back so many memorys.

Of course the obligatory alcoholic discharge of MDC weapons in a flimsy wooden structure will follow......... :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:17 pm

D-Bee

HAHA too true.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:11 am

Dungeon Crawler

Ah the bar.

The starting point for many a fine adventure.

:D

Sig by Charles Agopsowicz of http://www.electrisdesign.com/

Still Nova's Arch-Nemesis :-p

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:57 am

Dungeon Crawler

Heh, one time, my players gambled with a Vampire chick that turned out to be the main villian of the adventure.

That was awesome

"Before you stands the woman whom you played poker with last night

Players= :eek:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Adventurer

Ridley wrote:
Heh, one time, my players gambled with a Vampire chick that turned out to be the main villian of the adventure.

That was awesome

Now THATS irony!

If I had 1/100th of a cent for every adventure/quest/campaign that started in a tavern……… :eek:

Keep your eyes and mind open and you just might see something interesting.

Proud owner of 3444 Geek Points.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
dang.. im just picturing that in my head.... :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Dungeon Crawler

It was funny.

It was the hunt club adventure, from the western empire book i barrowed from my cousion

She was a fire warlock in real life, about 5th level, she replaced some NPC that was part of the orignial adventure.

THe thing is, they won 30,000 gold off her........ :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:58 am

D-Bee

Ridley wrote:

That was awesome

I like it! There's a certain James Bond element. I think I may have to borrow this idea... hmm.. :ok:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:49 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
I can proudly state that, of all the campaigns that I have ran, and all those that I have been in - except two - none of them have started in a bar.

~ Josh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
I can proudly state that, of all the campaigns that I have ran, and all those that I have been in - except two - none of them have started in a bar.

~ Josh

Then you're not a real gamer. :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:08 am

Wanderer

Ridley wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh

no kidding cause thats the best place to get all your information (besides hacking the mainframe)

Never kiss a girl whose brothers have knife scars.
-Mat Cauthon

When a woman says she will obey you, of her own will, it is time to sleep lightly and watch your back.
-Asmodean, to Rand al'Thor

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:08 am

D-Bee

TehObservor wrote:
Should be the opening lines. I mean just those words bring back so many memorys.

Of course the obligatory alcoholic discharge of MDC weapons in a flimsy wooden structure will follow......... :shock:

Ah crap...this line later means that my character body gets taken over or I get an alignment change from Principled or Diabolic :shock:

Gabrial The Apok:"I parry with my face!"

G.M.:"Ok, The blast kills your but your mask is still intact"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:04 pm

Champion

Wow...that would make for a great beginning. Right after the brief 5 minute CGIgasm that explains the coming of the rifts and the dark ages, rise of the coalition states. Cuts to a group of freaks in a bar (juicers, d-bees, people in armor, a hive of scum and villainy). Centers in on a group of adventurers at a booth having a conversation. Meet the heroes. Then the bar fight starts, an orgy of more eyecandy special effects as the juicer guts people, MDC weapons vaporize things, and a mage and psychic do their things. First 10 minutes of the movie make you realize this is not your normal sci-fi setting. :)

I've played in many games that started in a bar...usually ending with us leaving a smoldering ruin behind us (one time leveling an entire city block when the barfight moved into the street). But I've never GMed one that started in a bar. My games usually start in a prison or other bad situation that forces the group to work together despite any differences they might have.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:23 pm

Dungeon Crawler

My brother had the same adventure for three years since we never actually got to it. Every weekend one guy in the group would go into the bar and pick a fight. The bartender was never a normal sdc human. It was alway some dragon or cybory or mutant from hell that could take on the CS single handedly and win. By the time we were done killing him (and quite often eachother) the sun would be coming up outside and everyone would head off to bed.

That was the worst of our munchkin days. I'm so glad they're over.

You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 pm

Champion

Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
Ridley wrote:

That was awesome

...who then grabs the nearest character, pulls them up from their seat, kisses him/her passionately on the lips for a good 30 seconds, then after they break, she whispers, "I had fun last night, but you STILL owe me 500 credits." She then puts the character back in their spot, gives a small waves to the rest of the party, & casually walks off.

The players all look at each other with the expression of What happened/what did you do/how did you have 500 credits when you still owe me/who the heck was that/do you still have her number et cetera.

That should get things going. :lol:

Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:06 am

D-Bee

BookWyrm wrote:
Ridley wrote:

That was awesome

...who then grabs the nearest character, pulls them up from their seat, kisses him/her passionately on the lips for a good 30 seconds, then after they break, she whispers, "I had fun last night, but you STILL owe me 500 credits." She then puts the character back in their spot, gives a small waves to the rest of the party, & casually walks off.

The players all look at each other with the expression of What happened/what did you do/how did you have 500 credits when you still owe me/who the heck was that/do you still have her number et cetera.

That should get things going. :lol:

The only thing worse os when you take the character aside, have a bit of a muttered conversation with them and, upon returning to the room, describe the scene fo the character waking up to find said chick dressing in his room. She leaves, just as the rest of the party are gathering in the hallways and says exactly the same thing.

As for the bar, I was heartily disappointed when neither D&D mocvie started in a bar. Perhaps the Rifts movie could seek to change this gorss imbalance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:45 am

Champion

True_Atlantean wrote:
As for the bar, I was heartily disappointed when neither D&D mocvie started in a bar. Perhaps the Rifts movie could seek to change this gorss imbalance.

I believe that should read, "I was heartily disappointed in both D&D movies. Perhaps the Rifts movie could seek to change this gross imbalance, and also begin the story in a bar."

At least for me and every gamer I know.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:30 am

D-Bee

Yes, you are unfortunately correct. This is what comes of a combination of lack of sleep and poor attention to detail. :-(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 am

D-Bee

Comment: Techniclarity@gmail.com is my gmail...
.:)

Sith hits this ****.

Four letters four words....
agreed, all the very best rifts games started in a bar. and some of the very best ended that way too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Ridley wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh

No, I'm just a creative one.

:P

~ Josh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Explorer

Starting in bar? hmmm...... I don't think the group I am with did a bar situation. Last time they was actually in a weapon shop. The cyberknight was homophobic, and the ogre was actually gay. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:00 am

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?
Richard Winters wrote:
Ah the bar.

The starting point for many a fine adventure.

:D

And for many, many more bad adventures. :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 am

Adventurer

You find yourself in a bar. In the corner is a shady looking old man (played by Rutger Hauer) wearing a dark-coloured hooded robe, and leaning over a tankard of ale. There is nobody at any of the tables surrounding him, and his back is to the corner of the bar where nobody can sneak up behind him. What do you do?

That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:56 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?
Rayven wrote:
You find yourself in a bar. In the corner is a shady looking old man (played by Rutger Hauer) wearing a dark-coloured hooded robe, and leaning over a tankard of ale. There is nobody at any of the tables surrounding him, and his back is to the corner of the bar where nobody can sneak up behind him. What do you do?

I leave the bar, for this one's all ready taken. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:35 pm

Explorer

I am sorry to report that I have never had a Rifts campaign start out from a bar. Other games, yes, but not Rifts. Don't get me wrong. I have been in a small struggle in a bar once, but most of the combat I do is in space with my veritech.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:11 am

D-Bee

LostOne wrote:
I've played in many games that started in a bar...usually ending with us leaving a smoldering ruin behind us (one time leveling an entire city block when the barfight moved into the street).

That's not a bar fight, one time a group I was in levelled most of a town. We were playing Deadlands D20 (I'm just about the only one in this city who runs Palladium games) and we were at the bar. Somehow we got into a stand-off with some guys who had it in for us and one of them was wearing a vest strapped in dynamite. My friend opened fire at him, setting off the TNT, the explosion destroyed the bar and set off the ridiculous amount of nitroglycerine one of our party was carrying (still don't understand why), long story short, I don't think they found remains of any of us.

Now THAT'S a bar fight :lol:

Anyone who says "all is fair in love and war" has never been in either

OF COURSE I DID IT IN COLD BLOOD, I'M A REPTILE YOU IDIOT!!!!

Every word in your book has already been published, ever try reading, THE DICTIONARY!?!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:10 am

Champion

Slayer Dragonwing wrote:
My friend opened fire at him, setting off the TNT, the explosion destroyed the bar and set off the ridiculous amount of nitroglycerine one of our party was carrying (still don't understand why), long story short, I don't think they found remains of any of us.

That's not a barfight, that's suicide. Why would any character who can die by explosions willingly carry around large quantities of nitroglycerine as a normal part of their inventory? Nitroglycerine is one of the most unstable explosives known to man, unless it is packed properly in sawdust and whatever else is used in TNT.

Any bar fight you can walk away from is a bar fight, if it's a party wipe, it's a massacre, accident, or apocalyptic event. :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Explorer

LostOne wrote:
Slayer Dragonwing wrote:
My friend opened fire at him, setting off the TNT, the explosion destroyed the bar and set off the ridiculous amount of nitroglycerine one of our party was carrying (still don't understand why), long story short, I don't think they found remains of any of us.

That's not a barfight, that's suicide. Why would any character who can die by explosions willingly carry around large quantities of nitroglycerine as a normal part of their inventory? Nitroglycerine is one of the most unstable explosives known to man, unless it is packed properly in sawdust and whatever else is used in TNT.

Any bar fight you can walk away from is a bar fight, if it's a party wipe, it's a massacre, accident, or apocalyptic event. :P

I probably would have done the same thing. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:57 pm

Explorer

LostOne wrote:
Slayer Dragonwing wrote:

In Deadlands? The simple answer...the PC is a Mad Scientist.

Also, my $00.02 on the "in a bar" opening, is that while hilarious, I think its too much of an inside joke for gamers. I think the producers would shy away from something like that, for mass appeal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Hero

Actually, that could work.

They could just introduce the main heroic lead as he sits in a bar (which the camera did one of those from orbit zoom-ins on after the opening scene describing the cataclysm), nursing a drink, a big gruff something or other smacks a hand on his shoulder, says in a voice that sounds like chewing gravel might help it "you got my creds yet, slag?" he reaches into his jacket, theres a click, laser fire goes off, etc...etc...

To the film audiences, it would be an exciting introduction to the universe, to all of us RPG geeks it would be an "omg, you're in a bar and this guy..." moment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:32 am

Dungeon Crawler

Sounds about right to me...

But on the bar conversation, I can't say any of our rifts games started in a bar, but we always found our way into one at some point or another, hell, my drunken mind melter uses hydrokinesis to find bars.

At Gravitus Everlast's Used Ship Emporium, we've got enough ships to choke a camel! Don't know what a camel is? Well come on down and you can choke one yourself! And complimentary BBQ Chicken! Don't know what a chicken is? Well come on down and you can choke one of them too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Palladin

:lol: Man, this is funny to read! And you it would be an interesting beginning to the movie. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:12 am

D-Bee

Back in the hey day,.. before I jumped into my current gaming group, the resident GM would always ALWAYS start in a bar,.. with this line somewhere in the first 5 minutes of intro

"... your in a bar,.. and the Triax come,..."

Now,.. at the time,.. the GM THOUGHT the Triax was the actual army for the NGR,.. and seeing as how the gaming group's characters usually wouldn't get along with the NGR,.. they had reason to fear this "Triax",.. later when they/we realised the Triax are who they actually are,.. it became a standing joke to say at the beginning of every campaign

"Your in a bar, and the Triax come." I never understood why it wasn't "and the Triax burst in,.." or "and the Triax slink in,.." or something similar,..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:20 am

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
Hehe..a lot of adventures I was in, started in a bar. Heck most of the time the bar burnt down and the bartender gets killed.

Did anyone notice the Rifts comic in the Rifter? That story started in a bar too. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:57 am

Dungeon Crawler

Lets be plain...

How many adventures do we have in real life that start in a bar?

I for one have had many a-memorable 'adventure' at a 'tavern'!

hehe...

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Hero

mAd eAgle wrote:
Lets be plain...

How many adventures do we have in real life that start in a bar?

I for one have had many a-memorable 'adventure' at a 'tavern'!

hehe...

True, but how many "adventures" do you go on where there's extreme peril and people trying to kill you? More to the point, how often do you hang around with people you just happened to randomly meet that were looking for the same things and were extremely well armed to the point of carrying several weapons into that bar? :P

"You are wise beyond your years" darkbrandon

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Champion

Aequitas wrote:
True, but how many "adventures" do you go on where there's extreme peril and people trying to kill you? More to the point, how often do you hang around with people you just happened to randomly meet that were looking for the same things and were extremely well armed to the point of carrying several weapons into that bar? :P

So you're telling me this isn't normal where you live? It sounded like a normal day to me... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Hero

dude that happend to me at least once a week. right down to the weapons. i always had 5 knives situated in various...places...anyways the only difference is that we didnt have nijas and sorcerors in our "adventures"....much....but i'm from new york soo.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 am

D-Bee

As a tradition, every adventure my group has run starts in a bar.

Also, starting in a bar is one of the reasons that EVERY character I have has a cross sewn in to his underwear.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Explorer

Comment: Its also from ATB
I have used the bar opener on some occasions. But that is the starting location for some of my groups more memorable games, our had never degraded into a bar fight though.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:39 pm

D-Bee

Heck, the entire movie could be set around the bar in Tales of the Chi-Town Burbs. I'd be all right with that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
Browncoat Jayson wrote:
Heck, the entire movie could be set around the bar in Tales of the Chi-Town Burbs. I'd be all right with that.

we think alike! I totally agree!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 am

D-Bee

All my games start in a library in Rome.

The players are hunters for relics, and work to secure the volt of knowlege............. even though only one of them can read, the others are the muscle.

Amusing when you see a Borg, Apoc, Hatchling, Line walker and Jucier being taught the A.B.C's in the kiddies corner of the library.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 pm

D-Bee

lol good lord...... do you know how many times any role player has heard that.
My favorite was my old GM use to be like whats your characters running speed. you replay 20+ with my skill bonuses.
GM starts by saving your running for your life from a group of guards from the castle you and your party robbed.
TehObservor wrote:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Explorer

Reminds me of my shadow run days

Most rifts campaings start some other place but a good bar beginning would be a change.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am

D-Bee

Thats how our games always started.
brings back memories

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Champion

Of all my games, only one has started in a bar, and that was due to a player rebellion who wanted to do something ironic ><

I cannot count the number of fights that have started in bars however . . .

Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:58 am

Dungeon Crawler

I couldn't believe it, when it happened... My players just ended up there ordering 35 year old booze from a rundown hotel bar. I'm currently working with it. It's funny, I had thought when I first read this post a few weeks back," I'm never going to start a game like this..."

Ohhhh well.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Hero

Comment: What happened in here last night? It smells of cheap booze and expensive regret...
Not a Rifts game, and it wasn't the start of the game, but this reminds me of what can only be called an epic bar fight.

Our group got into fisticuffs with some people (I forget the reason) and it spilled onto the street. The town watch became involved and our characters decided that this was fun and no one was really getting hurt on either side, so they ran with it and five people ended up taking on (and defeating) about 20 or so in a straight up fist fight. In the end, the party only gave up because they got tired and wanted to go to bed.

The next morning, the town guard (all fifteen of them) wanted to hire us to bolster their ranks.

If I am going to be accused of misdeeds and treated accordingly, then I am going to actually earn the treatment I get. Period. There is no need to hold back when I am treated with one standard and others are treated according to another standard.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Mikester wrote:
Ridley wrote:

That was awesome

I like it! There's a certain James Bond element. I think I may have to borrow this idea... hmm.. :ok:

my last rifts game had the players sent to extract info from a guy in a bar right outside the CS state boundary. Only they didn't know he was a mind melter until they were captured.