Some clarification on Uk/EU shipping

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wilycoyote
Dungeon Crawler

Some clarification on Uk/EU shipping

Unread post by wilycoyote »

Throughout the KS process and up to this point, Palladium have bee telling us that they have a shipping partner, who will receive the goods and ship onto us, thereby avoiding tax, VAT and customs duties on the product.

The latest update simply states they will go to a central point in Europe - who is handling these boxes.

The second part mentions that recipients will be liable for any duty charges raised - not Palladium This looked like it referred to other overseas backers specifically Australia, but as this was one long paragraph it was not too clear.

Can someone clarify exactly how shipping is made and guarantee as promised as a UK backer I am not going to be landed with a £80 bill you said I would never get
TagsPB
Explorer

Re: Some clarification on Uk/EU shipping

Unread post by TagsPB »

FYI ...... You can NOT bypass Duties imposed by governments.
If they say EVERYTHING coming into the country has a duty on it......it has a duty on it.

As I said in another thread.....I just finished doing a Kickstarter for another RPG book....for us to print it and send it to England he has to pay roughly $5 per book in duties, so if he wants a copy of his own book he has to pay extra for it......even though it was written in England, by an English citizen. There is no way around this. As even GIFTs sent into the country must pay duties on them.

There is nothing Palladium can do about this......its your (possibly) government that has set the rule.....and its (possibly) your government that says YOU pay duties, not the shipper.

And I can't see anywhere on Kickstater where they talk about import duties.

England uses a fixed statement for bring ANYTHING into the county........the receiver is responsible for all duties. So if you live there..........call and complain to the Queen.

By sending everyone's (in EU/UK) over in one lot to a distributor they can make sure you don't have to pay the VAT as it can be proven it is not being resold by that distributor to you.....VAT only applies to when a product is going to be sold for the first time there.
Conteshard
D-Bee

Unread post by Conteshard »

TagsPB wrote:And I can't see anywhere on Kickstater where they talk about import duties.

As I said, it's in the update 40 and states clearly:

European backers will not be required to pay VAT or other additional import fees

As I also said, it's not really a question of NON paying taxes, but not paying them TWICE (US +EU)
wilycoyote
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by wilycoyote »

TagsPB, sorry mate but you are absolutely wrong on this one, in so much as PB have clearly stated what they had arranged and would happen

One of the key considerations when backing a US KS is whether they make arrangements for a friendly EU/UK shipper. Otherwise the VAT, Customs duties can be harsh (nevermind the postal services chipping in. Ih the case of Robotech that could have been about £100 gbp or $150 plus just for Wave One basic, never mind Showdown or above

The FAQ for the KS clearly states that PB have made arrangements that will ensure that UK backers will not repeat not pay extra charges just the flat shipping fees. The arrangements for the EU were to be arranged. This meant I could and did pledge more to the project

Myself and other UK/EU backers have been asking for months as to who the shipping partners are, but got no reply

So if the update is correct and now PB policy they have changed the rules and therefore have broken their contract with me by saying I am liable for any of these charges.

Note their issues with package size leads me to think that they have not thought this through and another really big concern is the Child Safety certifiction (CE rating) that they have - or I hope they have. If this is not validand documented or worse case not been sought, the goods cannot be imported to the EU/UK.
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

When I said I could see on Kickstarter where it talks about duties.......I meant Kickstarters FAQ.

And as for the duties themselves I can't speak for Palladium Books....I only can comment on what I know from a Kickstarter I was directly involved in.

My own experience with my own countries system (Canada) is to have extra cash just in case......a $120usd value order from PB came to me with no duties owning.......a Rifter was hit with a $3 duty for no reason I can see.

Again this is personal experience.

I do know PB is trying everything they can to ship to you at a £0 end cost to you.

As to the child thing I know all the boxes are marked as a child chocking hazard.
McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Unread post by McPherson »

From what I understood of the 'plan' for UK shipping was the shipping partner would be paying the import-duties (as the product was being shipped to them) After which the shipping partner would be shipping locally to the backers.

Why a partner would agree to do that I am unsure not being involved in international shipping etc.

Regarding the CE rating that is a specific UK/EU regulation, so while the boxes may be marked to cover US law they need to make sure they reach the EU regulations to get the CE mark.

I'm personally hoping that all this is just a bit of miscommunication.

- End of Line -
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”