Organized Competitive Tournament Play?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Forar
Hero

Organized Competitive Tournament Play?

Unread post by Forar »

According to another thread, how competitive tournaments will be sorted out (smaller scale store ventures and presumably larger scale one alike) is still a work in progress, but a bit part of other minis games I've seen has been tournaments at larger conventions, where players from around the world can meet up and test their mettle.

To that end, has any thought been directed towards Adepticon 2015, Gencon 2015, and other such events? Obviously we're still a long way from there even being a a large portion of the backers with their boxes (many have arrived and are in the mail, but thousands still need to go out), let alone pre-orders and the start of retail distribution, but at the same time, running even a small scale tournament with a dozen players or more for a game this size (4x4 tables, terrain, scenarios, personnel to track info, set up pairings, referee, etc) needs to be sorted out long in advance.

So, an open question to get the MA's and those they're working with thinking, even if the current answer is still "we're working on it".

Let's not see another Adepticon go by forgotten. ;-)
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Re: Organized Competitive Tournament Play?

Unread post by Phaze »

Competitive play has always been on the forefront of my mind since I got into the Kickstarter. Since becoming a MA, I have had those same questions posed to me several times. Even after GENCON 14 I was asked if I would run a tournament at the next GENCON. I would if it come to pass. Now as a Coordinator, I have posed these same questions out to the other coordinators and to Palladium.

Here where it stands, as I see it:

Tournament Play is going to happen and will be backed by the MAs. Palladium, while reserved, has given their blessing to move forward with the plans and framework for what a tournament would look like. Those plans, with some rules clarifications, are in progress. Once completed, they will go to Palladium to be blessed, changed, reworked, whatever. Once a tournament play program has been approved, the MAs will post it to become official for all MA backed tournaments.

Those gears are moving.

However, realistically it will be well after product goes retail and most likely after Wave 2 hits IMHO. While I can’t wait to bang armies with some of you in a tournament, the thought of the Zents only having Glaugs and pods (in their various forms) available to them seems like a raw deal. Any army you build with the Zents will have to follow the limited themes available to them. The Zents really get filled out with FPA, MPA, infantry, and Gnerls and can become a real unified fighting force. Right now the UEDF has more going for it in the respect of a customizable army. They also will be getting more units which will add to the army variations possible in a tournament.

So in a nutshell: Yes, it is in the works but timing will depend on Wave 2. By Adepticon or GENCON? I have not received any word from Palladium with respect to timing yet. I hope so. I have a personal stake in this so I will try my best to keep everyone involved updated on any progress.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

I send in my MA application. If/When it gets approved, I'd love to help with this. I have a ton of experience running tournaments for all types of games, and have played in enough to have an idea of what does and doesn't work well. I plan on running events here in Pittsburgh. It would be great if we could have a framework established by GENCON.

Thanks,
Don
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

I agree the likly hood of full tourment play next year at adeptioncon is slim.

At the same time I think some MA's should look into doing demos at the show and possibly a method for the game to be on sale at the show if thats possible.

Jdarr
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Even if Adepticon does slip by, it was more just my idea that it'd be good to get it into people's minds if nothing else.

That said, Adepticon is ~20 weeks away. Assuming they get to retail by December or even January, it'd be possible to set a small but reasonable goal, like a mini-tournament of 100-150 points, emphasis on participation rewards and nods to well assembled/painted figures and good sportsmanship over hardcore competitive gaming.

Though that said, I've never tried to set up a tournament at a major convention, so I have no idea if 5 months is even enough notice at this point.

I know that I know not, eh.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

In the meantime there's nothing stopping anyone from running their own competitive events at any convention. It just won't be an official event, and you probably won't get any prize support.

Just make the list building rules clear.

For example: 300pts, no duplicate characters, 1hr time limit per round. You can either have it scenario based VPs, or straight up squad kill VPs. Make it a Swiss style, if 17+ players, play 3 Swiss rounds then cut to the final 4 single elimination for the last 2 rounds, with no time limit for the final championship game. If 33+, 4 Swiss rounds, then cut to final 8.

That's as simple as a tournament structure you can have.

For rules disputes that aren't clear, I always announce before the tourney begins that I give each player a chance to plead their case, then I make a judgment call. Whatever that call is, it stays in affect for the rest of the tournament so everyone is affected by it fairly. Most players are OK with that.
jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

At this point i'd more apt to focus on getting a booth that will be carrying the product and a demo stand at adepticon. Keep in mind for adepticon the floor space goes fast i know they are moving to a larger venue for 2015 as the lombard site was overflowing last year.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”