force creation?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

force creation?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

this is a topic that came up in discussion of RTT on another forum. while we have the rough listing of what forces can be selected [sup][1][/sup], but what would the minimum full army size be? how many core units minimum for example? how many supporting or special?

they were trying to figure out the typical figure counts for a side (human vs zent), and were stymed by the fact that they didn't know what the minimum full army would be.

for example, a warhammer 40K space marine army with minimum units is two troops and a HQ, about 11 figures at the lowest (two 5 man squads and a commander)

another point of contention was points.. what would the typical points per side for a normal sized game be? for example, in 40K that minimum army would be less than 300 points, but most games are 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000 points.

and on a personal curiosity note.. how much mix and match is allowed between say, a destroid force and the VF force? would you have to use only one set of core forces? or could you mix destroid and VF core squads in the sameforce? same for the supporting units.

[1] using the charts from the kickstarter, here:
http://damommasboyz.com/sodapop/rtsquad ... e-org.html
http://damommasboyz.com/sodapop/rtsquad ... e-org.html
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Re: force creation?

Unread post by Battle Damage »

You can find photos of all the rule-book pages here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbz8wcjbuyh9g8x/AACpoTVrg0Cv2KiOLElMd2y2a#/

Page 9 (I think) states that a 'typical' game is 300 points. Page 75 (I think) states that you have to have one core squadron card per 150 points. I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't have a mix of core squadrons (it'd be pretty boring otherwise) as long as you ensure that any support and special cards are added to the correct squadrons (eg no trying to add valk support cards to a destroid squadron).

Mike1975 has posted the playtest rules that have points costs for the squadrons, support and special cards, though they may have changed, and you can see some of the cards in the link I posted above.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

what does the restriction against using roy, max, miyria-sterling, etc for custom characters mean for force building? given it is easy to just rename the character i suspect there is something more to it. since i doubt palladium or ninja division would be able to really enforce a "thou shalt not rename" when most of the games will be private, not organized tourney play.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Battle Damage
D-Bee

I think you hit the nail on the head: The restriction means nothing in games outside of organised play. It would only matter if you are participating in some sort of 'official' event.

Maybe it was something they had to put in to placate HG's angst about their intellectual property?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

after further reading i noticed that those notes specify "malcontent forces".. so maybe it is just a "if you using a mix of human and zent in the same army, these more powerful special character are not available for use" thing?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Battle Damage
D-Bee

I just found that there's a similar prescription on the use of the key Zent characters that did not become Malcontents (it's under Azonia's picture). It makes me more convinced that its some sort of effort (from PB or HG, who knows) to keep the Malcontent faction 'pure' to the show. Which I'm not sure is necessary: When we get our stuff, I suppose we'll find out if the special characters have amazing game-changing effects that would be disproportionate if they were available as templates for Malcontent characters. Personally, I can't see it happening: The other characters are at least as good (I see awesome potential for that Gnerl pilot dude).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i think your right. going by the pics of the brulebook, the special chars banned aren't all that game changing (except maybe Max+miryia in VF's.. but that's really just a 'deathstar' unit that is very individually capable, but hardly going to be game winning in and of itself without support of other units.

though max+miryia guarded by an unending supply of battlepods could well be pretty potent a mix..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Indeed. Re-rolls out the yin-yang.

Drifting a bit off topic, but I think the character I'm looking forward to most is Kain Weller, the Spartan pilot with two shock batons. 14" move and the opportunity to potentially severely limit three enemy mechs (or pummel the hell out of a single one) without spending a single command point seems like a pretty good deal.

[Though I am bemused by the fact he costs +5 points and there is no mention of having to have to purchase a shock baton (or two) at +10 points. It's not actually required to use his rules...]

If you do pay the points for the shock baton: If you hit with all three of his initial (ie free) attacks, you could beat a Glaug to death even if it rolls with the impact all three times....

Aside from that fun and games, the modelling/conversion opportunities for him are pretty interesting.
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Here's the first UEDF list that I came up with:

Core 1:
Valk Sqn (1 x VF-1J, 3 x VF-1A): 80
Spt: VEF-1 30

Core 2:
Valk Sqn (1 x VF-1J, 3 x VF-1A): 80

Core 3:
Fire Spt Sqn (2 x Phalanx, 2 x Defender) 60
Upgrade: Phalanx arty rockets 10
Special: MkII Monster 40

300 points, 19 command points.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Force Org Charts
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Characters are nice but not game changers as they can die just like anything else. So if you thought you'd have a Super-Roy and wipe out entire squadrons of Zentraedi....think again. The Imperative will prevail.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Mike1975 wrote:Force Org Charts
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Characters are nice but not game changers as they can die just like anything else. So if you thought you'd have a Super-Roy and wipe out entire squadrons of Zentraedi....think again. The Imperative will prevail.

actually, i never expected that. but i'm serving as a conduit for news and info about RTT to the battletech community.. so i have to ask the obvious questions. :)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”