Robotech RPG Tactics update - Aug. 23

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Robotech RPG Tactics update - Aug. 23

Unread post by AlexM »

From the Weekly Update:

The reaction to Robotech® RPG Tactics™ at Gen Con was overwhelmingly positive. People liked what they saw, enjoyed the demos, and liked the game play and the size and detail of the game pieces. Some were positively giddy. I have to admit, so are we. We met many Kickstarter backers who expressed their support and appreciation for the game, and we returned the favor by shaking their hands and expressing our appreciation for them. It has been a long, rough journey, but the end product is sweet. Cannot wait till we can start shipping out product.

And speaking of product, I am happy to report that the first container from China has been released by US Customs and we expect to begin shipping by the end of next week. Meanwhile, Wayne Smith has been working with various out-of-house tech people to set up our new shipping hardware and software. We had technicians and IT people in and out of the office all week as they set up the new systems and customize software to suit our needs.

We have been hesitant to offer completion and shipping dates, because they seem to be constantly shifting and changing. I think the completion and ship dates for Container One changed something like four or five times; one day here, three days there, another two day delay later, then the boat left port a day and a half late, made up that day and a half at sea, only to see the container tagged and held up by US Customs for a random inspection. It seems crazy to us at Palladium Books to subject YOU to that kind of frustration and tension. However, many of you have told us that is exactly what you want to know. We aim to please, so we'll tell you what we know, when we know it, but you need to realize that timetables and dates are almost certain to change. Shifting schedules in China, shipping schedules and intervention by Customs are beyond our control. Wayne is tentatively scheduled to visit the China factories in September to see the manufacturing process and help build strong communications. Things should start to move more quickly now, with a new container of product shipping every week or two. That said, the schedule has already slipped a bit from what we were told before Gen Con. Containers Two and Three were supposed to have shipped together this past week. However, a manufacturing delay has changed that.

At this time, Container Two is now tentatively scheduled to be packed around the middle to end of next week. We do not yet have a definitive date for when the ship will leave China. Probably between August 28 and September 3. Container Three should ship about one week later, and Container Four a week or so after that. This is the data we have at this time, but as noted, it often changes. By the way, these four containers should allow us to fulfill our Kickstarter obligations for Wave One. That's everything, prints, accessories, etc.

Oh, and we only recently realized that the plastic blast template is not painted, and it is too late to do anything about it now. This detail slipped past all of us – Palladium, Ninja Division, the factory, everyone. Sorry. It still looks great, is a quality piece of plastic and is easy to use.

Meanwhile, we are working with Harmony Gold to be allowed to provide PDFs of the core rules and other key elements of play and other fun stuff.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Re: Robotech RPG Tactics update - Aug. 23

Unread post by Kendachi »

When did you know that container 2 wasn't going to ship before GenCon?

Because if the first container had made it before the Con, selling from it means some backers would have missed out on their items only to have them sold at the Con.

I'm feel we're going to just be told either "we didn't know! shucks!" or just nothing.

We've been begging for info on containers after the first, begging for weeks!

Unpainted template? Dropping the ball many times in a row might be dribbling in the NBA, but here it's just messing up.

Sigh.
"If a question is not asked, then how can it be ignored?" - NMI

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
winterdyne
D-Bee

Unread post by winterdyne »

AlexM wrote:From the Weekly Update:

The reaction to Robotech® RPG Tactics™ at Gen Con was overwhelmingly positive. People liked what they saw, enjoyed the demos, and liked the game play and the size and detail of the game pieces. Some were positively giddy. I have to admit, so are we. We met many Kickstarter backers who expressed their support and appreciation for the game, and we returned the favor by shaking their hands and expressing our appreciation for them. It has been a long, rough journey, but the end product is sweet. Cannot wait till we can start shipping out product.

And speaking of product, I am happy to report that the first container from China has been released by US Customs and we expect to begin shipping by the end of next week. Meanwhile, Wayne Smith has been working with various out-of-house tech people to set up our new shipping hardware and software. We had technicians and IT people in and out of the office all week as they set up the new systems and customize software to suit our needs.

We have been hesitant to offer completion and shipping dates, because they seem to be constantly shifting and changing. I think the completion and ship dates for Container One changed something like four or five times; one day here, three days there, another two day delay later, then the boat left port a day and a half late, made up that day and a half at sea, only to see the container tagged and held up by US Customs for a random inspection. It seems crazy to us at Palladium Books to subject YOU to that kind of frustration and tension. However, many of you have told us that is exactly what you want to know. We aim to please, so we'll tell you what we know, when we know it, but you need to realize that timetables and dates are almost certain to change. Shifting schedules in China, shipping schedules and intervention by Customs are beyond our control. Wayne is tentatively scheduled to visit the China factories in September to see the manufacturing process and help build strong communications. Things should start to move more quickly now, with a new container of product shipping every week or two. That said, the schedule has already slipped a bit from what we were told before Gen Con. Containers Two and Three were supposed to have shipped together this past week. However, a manufacturing delay has changed that.

At this time, Container Two is now tentatively scheduled to be packed around the middle to end of next week. We do not yet have a definitive date for when the ship will leave China. Probably between August 28 and September 3. Container Three should ship about one week later, and Container Four a week or so after that. This is the data we have at this time, but as noted, it often changes. By the way, these four containers should allow us to fulfill our Kickstarter obligations for Wave One. That's everything, prints, accessories, etc.

Oh, and we only recently realized that the plastic blast template is not painted, and it is too late to do anything about it now. This detail slipped past all of us – Palladium, Ninja Division, the factory, everyone. Sorry. It still looks great, is a quality piece of plastic and is easy to use.

Meanwhile, we are working with Harmony Gold to be allowed to provide PDFs of the core rules and other key elements of play and other fun stuff.

Seriously? You guys are that disorganised? That poor at project management? Just that trusting of someone that nods enthusiastically at you and promises the moon on a stick?

That shipping system should have been done, dusted and in place around a month before you expected the first container in. You need to integrate it with stock control etc. etc.

Here's a tip; conservatively that third container will leave toward the middle of September. Allow six or seven weeks to transit, you'll finally have everything for wave 1 in around the middle of October. It's bad weather season that time of year. Kind of lucky, as I'd expect it to take until mid September to get any shipping / stock handling system full operational.

I'd bet heavily on you not being able to complete shipping to backers for wave 1 before Christmas, assuming not too much actually goes wrong.

It's not my business to tell you yours, but it is your business to ensure backers are reassured that you know what you're doing. Currently every update I read sounds like 'Gee shucks, we didn't expect this, that slipped by us, there was this unexpected (not unexpected by anyone else) delay'...

I'm lucky, I've not sunk an amount of money into this I'll miss in the grand scheme of things, but a lot of backers have. If you're not getting sued for misrepresentation yet, keep this up and you will be soon. Please start looking like you're at least partly organised.
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

Next we'll be told the factory needs container #1 back so they can re-pack it to be container 2 and so on till wave 1 is over, but that's just a hunch since backers aren't allowed any real info.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Some of that was really good news......the rest? Not so much.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

...and there will be great gnashing of teeth.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Of that there is no doubt.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I am very glad that the GenCon demos were a hit.

As for the containers from China, I understand the confusion. I've been involved in outsourced projects and there are always issues. I have yet to hear about a small business having an easy time dealing with Chinese manufacturers. I would not be surprised that PB has future challenges with the manufacturers and customs.

But hopefully, the end result will sell like hotcakes. GenCon was a good sign.
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

was it honestly that much cheaper to have things made in china and then shipper here? if it had been made here in the US (if possible), I suspect you would have much of the product all ready. Customs is not an issue for stuff made here.
winterdyne
D-Bee

Unread post by winterdyne »

Yes, it is significantly cheaper to have the stuff made in China. Not just down to the per-part cost, more down to the tooling. The cost of which is driven down by INSANE amounts of it being done. You think this factory is concentrating solely on RRT? Think again.

You don't however rely on anything they tell you before work in underway; delays and fubars and tweaks are part and parcel of the process. You can count on having the stuff at a specific time reliably only once it's on the ship.

So - Domestic production - generally good quality, long lead time, costly setup, higher cost per unit, quick delivery. Foreign production - variable quality, short lead time, cheap setup, cheap cost per unit, variable delivery.

If you direct the production right, then the foreign production way can produce just as fine a quality as anywhere else (and it's distance and language that form barriers), but it does need driving. Expect to have to visit the factory in person (ideally with a good technical translator) to iron kinks out.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”