Are you going to demo RTT? JOIN THE DEMO TEAM!!!

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Are you going to demo RTT?

Yes - at game stores and conventions
20%
Yes - but just at game stores
3%
Yes - but just at conventions
No votes
Yes - but only among friends
No votes
Maybe
30%
No
47%

Total votes: 30

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Are you going to demo RTT? JOIN THE DEMO TEAM!!!

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The vitriol on the KS backer page has me concerned for the future of RTT. I agree with why many backers are upset, but that's immaterial to the main issue of what happens after everyone gets their box set. Yes, I know the GenCon buyers will have a few months on the rest of us, but again lets focus on the future.

The future of RTT depends on a large and active fanbase. That means public play at game stores, game clubs and conventions.

Unlike RPGs, minis games have the luxury of cool toys grabbing eyeballs of people walking by the table. In the case of RTT, the minis are from a popular show from the 80s which will invoke nostalgia and grab more attention. But a few boxes on store shelves isn't going to do it. There needs to be several hundred of us doing demos across the country.

So this thread is about doing demos.

Let's try to keep it proactive about how we can help each other with ideas about promoting the game.
Last edited by Spinachcat on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosco60559
Explorer

Re: Are you going to demo RTT? JOIN THE DEMO TEAM!!!

Unread post by rosco60559 »

Any chance of putting up a maybe choice?

A big problem for many of us us finding a local shop willing to let us knock more popular games off the tables for one they may or may not be able to easily obtain for customers.

I jumped into this mess for a break from 40k and figs for running the rpg. As of the current state of this project these figs may take a backseat since my space wolf army is getting updated this month and I enjoy running the wolves at tournaments so figuring out what the heck gw did to them will take priority over a newer game that has almost 0 players in my area.

Besides shouldn't pb be asking experienced war gamers to join their demo team to help? Not to take away from their current guys but I don't know if any are in the Chicago area or if any of them have experience with mini gamers.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I plan to try and run it locally, yes, at my local game store (if they will allow me to) and my twice a year local con. However there are some issues with this.

It will be quite some time before the game is really expanded. Palladium is not know for quick follow up. Expansions are what keep players interested and piqued.

Furthermore, there is zero indication of any real support, for us, from Palladium to do this on a going forward basis. We cannot be expected to carry the entire load of getting this game out there and made popular enough to continue. Palladium does not have the market influence to not be active in advertising this game beyond us telling people about it and demoing it.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

I say this with all due sincerity. Robotech will never take the spotlight at Palladium from Rifts and I agree that it shouldn't. I have full faith in Palladium supporting this game just as well as they do their other non-Rifts lines like Palladium Fantasy and Heroes Unlimited. I also have full faith in the community responding in turn and the game being as popular as those after the initial rush of retail sales when wave 2 hits sometime in 2015.

I had initially planned on demo'ing the game (unofficially as I had no interest in becoming an MA) at my local store just like I stumped for the game vigorously during the kickstarter trying to get folks interested. After the way the project has been run since day 2 post KS, I have no remaining interest in doing so. I instead plan on running skirmish games using other minis rules instead given the rumored treatment of the skirmish rules being just one loose paragraph instead of a cohesive alternative as initially advertised.

Warning: User warned for trolling/baiting another forum entity/user. -NMI
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

bielmic wrote:I have full faith in Palladium supporting this game just as well as they do their other non-Rifts lines like Palladium Fantasy and Heroes Unlimited. I also have full faith in the community responding in turn and the game being as popular as those after the initial rush of retail sales when wave 2 hits sometime in 2015.

Wow. Damn man. Just... ouch.

As for demos, I bought in with 2 other guys for a significant pile of figures. Across 4-6 of our usual boardgame/miniatures gaming crew, we'll probably get some games in, give it a whirl, but I can't say I'll be 'doing demos'.

Unless the rules truly impress me (and of note, the playtest document from last May is not inspiring a ton of faith), I'm concerned about the long term viability of this game within my group.

It'll be truly a shame if it's popularity doesn't last even as long as it took to get it into our hands.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Let's keep this thread on topic. Keep your "disdain" for the situation out of it.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

bielmic wrote:I say this with all due sincerity. Robotech will never take the spotlight at Palladium from Rifts and I agree that it shouldn't. I have full faith in Palladium supporting this game just as well as they do their other non-Rifts lines like Palladium Fantasy and Heroes Unlimited. I also have full faith in the community responding in turn and the game being as popular as those after the initial rush of retail sales when wave 2 hits sometime in 2015.

I had initially planned on demo'ing the game (unofficially as I had no interest in becoming an MA) at my local store just like I stumped for the game vigorously during the kickstarter trying to get folks interested. After the way the project has been run since day 2 post KS, I have no remaining interest in doing so. I instead plan on running skirmish games using other minis rules instead given the rumored treatment of the skirmish rules being just one loose paragraph instead of a cohesive alternative as initially advertised.

Warning: User warned for trolling/baiting another forum entity/user. -NMI

How on earth is that trolling/baiting? I didn't mention any specific users let alone troll/bait them. What... am I baiting Palladium into doing? Supporting non-Rifts lines with something more than nothing other than fanzine articles for years at a time? I posted my opinion that is based extrapolating INDISPUTABLE FACTS. I no longer believe any promises, estimates, wishes on shooting stars, or anything other than cold, hard facts. The cold hard FACT is that palladium doesn't support most of their existing lines after an initial splash of releases. Even Robotech RPG was largely ignored prior to the minis license with no releases for a year despite being the "new" rpg on the scene. That isn't disdain but simply DEFINITIVE PROOF of the level of support given to non-Rifts lines.

I suspect this will be my last post as NMI has given me two rapid fire warnings including the above. See you guys likely in a month (when I suspect NOTHING will change for most Robotech fans as we still won't have anything yet despite Gencon being long over).

Simply calmly and politely expressing an opinion based ON FACTS is now considered trolling/baiting.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
rosco60559
Explorer

Ok on topic what kind of back up do we get from pb if part of the demo guys? What are the requirements to be part of the demo team?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

To be part of an official demo team per se, you must be a Megaversal Ambassador. I'll keep my opinion on the program to myself but suffice to say I was but am no longer an MA.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

That's a good point, Jaymz.

For the sake of discussion, what advantages are there to being part of an "official demo team"?

Free figures like Wyrd's "Henchmen" or Privateer Press' Pressgangers programs can provide? General swag? Spiffy t-shirts?

I get where you're going with that, but at the same time, I think it's worth pondering just what being 'official' means, if at the end of the day MA demo folks are... just other players who are interested and have models built. The status seems utterly redundant, the desire to draw other players in (friends, family, strangers at shops or conventions, etc) being the key point of distinction.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

rosco60559 wrote:Any chance of putting up a maybe choice?

I've never edited a poll before...so I put up the Maybe choice...and all the votes vanished. :(
Sorry everybody, please revote! Now with an extra Maybe!

rosco60559 wrote:Besides shouldn't pb be asking experienced war gamers to join their demo team to help?

Not really. Anybody who has a bunch of painted RTT minis and feels good about teaching the game in public is all the experience that would be needed. Most likely, lots of the demo people will already be minis gamers. There's clearly lots of 40k players and Battletech players among the backers. But as long as somebody knows RTT's rules very well and does a great job putting on a really fun event, any prior experience in war gaming isn't necessary.

rosco60559 wrote:Ok on topic what kind of back up do we get from pb if part of the demo guys? What are the requirements to be part of the demo team?

The requirement will be the same as the Megaversal Ambassador program - go run really fun public events and get people excited about the game. Nothing else matters other than when your players leave your table, they are excited to play more RTT. If you make that happen, you're golden.

The MAs can get a box of Rifters and a core book as swag, but that won't be useful for RTT. At this time, I don't think they have any plans in place for how the company will back up the demo team. The main support will be from other demo members who share pics, ideas and thoughts on how to make even better demos.

bielmic wrote:I instead plan on running skirmish games using other minis rules instead given the rumored treatment of the skirmish rules being just one loose paragraph instead of a cohesive alternative as initially advertised.

What do you mean by skirmish game? Isn't the whole RTT a skirmish game? Or do you mean each player has one mini?
What ruleset would you use? I expect we will see houserules and conversion online for RTT pretty fast.

Forar wrote:For the sake of discussion, what advantages are there to being part of an "official demo team"? Free figures like Wyrd's "Henchmen" or Privateer Press' Pressgangers programs can provide? General swag? Spiffy t-shirts?

I haven't got jack as a Megaversal Ambassador, but the swag boxes for the players have been good. Who knows what they may do for RTT? Hopefully, something eventually. But the whole point for the initial demo team will be to spread the word as game evangelists.

As for "official", the title isn't any more meaningful than MA. We are just GMs trying to spread the fun. The only real advantage of being part of the team is each of us can communicate on the forums and support each other with ideas.

Hmm...on second thought, when you go to a game store as an "Official Demo Team Member", the game store may be more likely to give you space in the store to do the demo.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

The only thing is Spin, as far as I have seen, heard or read about official demo teams, is that it will be handled through the MA program.

Unless something has changed?

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Spinachcat wrote:Hmm...on second thought, when you go to a game store as an "Official Demo Team Member", the game store may be more likely to give you space in the store to do the demo.

At least in my experience, a much bigger factor is whether or not the store in question already carries the game (free advertising to perhaps prompt purchases is something few stores will look askew at), or at least a willingness to possibly pick up the product line.

Anyway, that's a fair point. Just thought I'd check in, as there are already several companies with such programs in place as a way to inspire/reward people for the time it can take to run not just demos but leagues, tournaments and general events.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Rick S. wrote:ummm no, most stores around here you have to bribe, pay or con your way for table space if you brought no gamers, tables are so booked and tied up they won't allow anyone to use them unless they have several players in their group.

That's going to vary highly from location to location.

As I noted, if the store sells RRT, they probably won't have much of a problem with people playing it. Seeing people having fun playing a game is a good way to drum up sales of said game.

Doubly so if it's a game rooted heavily in nostalgia.

If they don't sell RRT but have miniature wargame tables sitting around (one of my local shops has over half a dozen such areas set aside) they may be amenable to it, especially if people are putting orders through them for items.

Long story short, as long as there's space available and the odds are good they can make some money, it likely won't be that big a deal. If there's little or no money to be made, then no, it might be hard to get space while trying to get in where the CCG players have games going.

Best bet would be just to ask around at local stores. Some nights might be more available than others. For example: if the store runs Friday Night Magic, I wouldn't even think of trying on Fridays unless they have a massive play area and mini specific tables, and even then you might want to rethink it; dozens of players in an area will get noisy, and the last thing anyone wants is their model bag being accidentally kicked or stepped on because it's standing room only.

Also, Rick, you never mentioned where you were or what these local anime/gaming shops were that refuse to carry the line. Perhaps if you enlightened us to your city, some other local folks might be able to recommend other options.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I have one local shop. They play a lot of skirmish games of varying types. Almost every time I deal with one of the few guys that actually work there, I get "they're still in business?". It is why, for the moment, i do not buy anything in that store but do have contacts through it and repeatedly (up until the last year) advertised for games and such to no avail. My local con, that runs twice a year, wants me to run RRT and i will.......when I get my stuff, which rules out Septembers con. No way will I be able to desrpue, clean up, assemble, and paint enough minis to do a good demo by the end of September and that is IF I am one of the first people to get my stuff. I got real life to deal with here too and that means 60 hours work weeks from now until December along with a wife and 3 kids.

That leaves maybe a few demos at the local shop, IF I can persuade them to let me, and the next con which is next March.

\m/
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

Khelthros wrote:- GenCon exclusives of Max and Miriya. All I really wanted was for them to be available for web store sale, but that never came to fruition. The fact that it was so close to kickstarter end was a slap to the face (in my opinion, mileage may vary)

The part that got me, was that while the Kickstarter itself was closed, the Pledge Manager was still open at the time. So, backers were still adding funds for various items, but couldn't add for those. If the PM had been finished, I could see some kind of argument for not re-opening it. But as it was, it was definitely another mishandled opportunity.
rosco60559
Explorer

I went with maybe. I know 1 shop that the owner is also a backer and he's still looking forward to the game. as for 100% jumping into the demo team not so sure if all it doesn't get anything cool. by that I mean heads up on some rules on their way or test out new occ/rcc in campaigns and send back feedback to help out a little. you know like an actual demo team.

good example was the demo team at catalyst for b-tech, months before release they had rules and minis for some of the word of blake Omni mechs and equipment that wasn't released and helped get people interested in it by loaning us the figs and rules for a few games.

but nevermind me it's only an idea.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Unread post by Kendachi »

Until I see the rules and the game itself, I have to go with maybe.

When the kickstarter was still fresh, and I didn't feel (Keep that in mind, I, me, personally, feel) as mislead, I would have gone with heck yes.
"If a question is not asked, then how can it be ignored?" - NMI

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

For now I am saying yes, but for me support from PB has little to do with it. The only thing that would change this is my ability to paint and build the minis. As I have never played or built mini game before I am not sure if I can put these together with any level of competence but if I do I will be running a few demos. Add in the problems of creating terrain that is portable and it makes it even harder to do

Aside from the painting my biggest limitation will be time. At cons I prefer to run regular RPGs (Rifts, HU2, and Robotech) so this would take at least one game out of the ones I normally run plus set up time.

I plan to run them at the local cons and there are two local gaming shops that I have already talked to that, while they do not carry PB products, are more then happy to have game demos in the stores. Again, my main problem is time. At most I might be able to do one demo every other month with my work schedule.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield - I can get you a link to some 6mm scale buildings that you just need to print off on card stock. Cut out and glue and bam, buildings :)

I am also looking out for articles about making terrain at home as easily and cheaply as possible. I'll gladly share whatever I find.

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Khelthros wrote:Originally, I had planned on promoting this and running it wherever and whenever possible. Anywhere from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia because I frequent these places often. However, I've been turned off by these events:

I completely understand your frustration. Here's how I see it. We tried out a new restaurant, ordered something that looked great on the menu and then waited an hour for the meal to arrive after lots of conflicting chatter from the waiters. But once the meal arrives, then we are gonna dig into the chow. Lots of frustration will be forgiven if that meal is as good as it looked on the menu.

jaymz wrote:The only thing is Spin, as far as I have seen, heard or read about official demo teams, is that it will be handled through the MA program.

There have been a couple of MA emails in the past year and I don't remember anything solid about RTT demos. It may be through the MA program - but again the MA program is RPG focused and the Rifter box isn't a good demo swag box for RTT demos, so no matter what there will need to be separate focus for RTT promos.

Forar wrote:Just thought I'd check in, as there are already several companies with such programs in place as a way to inspire/reward people for the time it can take to run not just demos but leagues, tournaments and general events.

And if RTT is a hit, I think we can see that in the future too. But I doubt we'll see anything like in year one. The MA program has been trying to get established for several years and its gotten more organized, but still haphazard compared to RPGA or Pathfinder Society.

jaymz wrote:Warshield - I can get you a link to some 6mm scale buildings that you just need to print off on card stock. Cut out and glue and bam, buildings :)

Post those links! That sounds great.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Spinachcat wrote:
jaymz wrote:The only thing is Spin, as far as I have seen, heard or read about official demo teams, is that it will be handled through the MA program.

There have been a couple of MA emails in the past year and I don't remember anything solid about RTT demos. It may be through the MA program - but again the MA program is RPG focused and the Rifter box isn't a good demo swag box for RTT demos, so no matter what there will need to be separate focus for RTT promos.

I don't disagree but the problem lies in the fact teh MA program as of this moment is where the RRT demos are going to be done through. At least officially.

Spinachcat wrote:
jaymz wrote:Warshield - I can get you a link to some 6mm scale buildings that you just need to print off on card stock. Cut out and glue and bam, buildings :)

Post those links! That sounds great.

I'd rather not post them publicly. Well at least not the one for the buildings. I'll dig up the other links at some point.

Mind you I am also working on card stock units for conventional modern items. At the moment I have an F-22 and M1 Abrams but plan to do even more. I just have no photoshop skills to colour them :lol:

\m/
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I live within 5 miles from Palladium HQ and pop into two or three big gaming centers and I haven't heard one frikken peep about Robotech RPG Tactics. Not a good sign.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
McPherson
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Still hunting for Pineapple Salad.

Unread post by McPherson »

I am building a sizeable collection of terrain so I can hopefully get demo's done at local area conventions in the Midlands, United Kingdom. Also plan to see if I can get some demo's done at the local games store / gaming club but I have a sinking feeling that there will be some serious friction from the store owner and club committee as the store and club don't support anything outside of 28mm usually (they claim its due to not wanting to have to build terrain for different scales hence my own work to overcome this problem) Maybe if I can make a big enough splash they'll stock RRT on the shelves, haven't heard any plans to do so otherwise.
Eternally hunting for Pineapple Salad.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

right now i will go with maybe there is only one store withing 50 miles that might carry it owner isnt sure yet but i am working on terrain and if i can figure out the rules i might try running games there.
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

If I get all my wave one stuff I might start to demo the game to start building a community here in my area. I spoke to the store owner and he said he might order RRT. He has a few rifts books at his store so that's a positive sign. Although on the other hand the way PB has treated its backers has me thinking if it's worth it. I'm sure I will once wave one arrives at my door step.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I live within 5 miles from Palladium HQ and pop into two or three big gaming centers and I haven't heard one frikken peep about Robotech RPG Tactics. Not a good sign.

This is concerning. Please email AlexM with the names of the stores. That should be a prime target for in-store demos. They gotta start in PB's own backyard in order to gain buzz.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Nah, everyone knows Gencon is the primary source of buzz. Like, super buzz. All Gencon, all the time.

WOOOOO!
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I didn't read all the posts but I voted not only a NO, but a hell no. Not because I don't like Tactics as you all well know. I've done more for the game than most and I've already played a lot of games and have had a blast. My reason is simple, from what I understand NMI would be in charge of the ambassadors. I would only work with a person will some credibility and class and who knows how to "Be the Better Man". So if PB asks me directly and I demo autonomously I would be happy to do it and enjoy it. Otherwise, never.

Warning: Trolling/baiting another forum user/entity. -NMI

If you disagree with the warning your earned, you are encouraged to reach out to:

Palladium Books, Inc.
39074 Webb Court
Westland, MI 48185
Phone: 734-721-2900
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mike1975 wrote:I didn't read all the posts but I voted not only a NO, but a hell no. Not because I don't like Tactics as you all well know. I've done more for the game than most and I've already played a lot of games and have had a blast. My reason is simple, from what I understand NMI would be in charge of the ambassadors. I would only work with a person will some credibility and class and who knows how to "Be the Better Man". So if PB asks me directly and I demo autonomously I would be happy to do it and enjoy it. Otherwise, never.

You obviously do not understand the structure of the Megaversal Ambassador Coordinators. First off, I did not start or even restart the current incarnation of the program. That would be Gary, Victor and Nate. They approached me and asked for me to join them.

Second, none of us holds a higher "position" within the M.A. Coordinators then the other, with the exception of Jeff Burke who is our primary point of contact with Palladium Books.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Yes "BE THE BETTER MAN".....have we learned a lesson here about being adult and fairness? I have seen many a warning given out to those undeserving and others allowed to make some ridiculous statements without repercussions because of their "friendships". Sad really....quite sad.
Last edited by Mike1975 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

If you were going to be mature you could explain and the warning is not necessary but then again I've learned what to expect here.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

And now the thread is locked.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”