Building Macross City for Gencon

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Building Macross City for Gencon

Unread post by Phaze »

This was a post I started on the Robotech Game Center Boards. But since I wanted to be more active on this board, I though I might post it here (with some updates :) ).

I wanted to build a new gaming table (6X4) that could be used in different scenarios, so I wanted it to be modular and expandable. This is what I came up with and this will be my record of the trial and errors of building this board.

THE PLAN:

I designed the board to be built in 12”X12” sections. Each section will be built as a city block. In this way I can rearrange the blocks to create different scenarios, or build new blocks for different objectives.
My first trial tile will test the appearance and construction options.
Then, once I know I can build it, I will build the following:
24 – random city tiles that includes roads, parking lots, and parks. (almost complete)
4 – Beach tiles that would allow a beach landing
1 – River Inlet to the Ocean
6 – River tiles for a river and bridges in the city.
6 – Airport tiles to create a runway and tarmac for an airport and civilian terminal/military base
2 – city block craters (destroyed city blocks tiles)
4 – ocean tiles to mate up to the beach tiles

All of my buildings will not be attached to the tiles so they can be placed anywhere within the city block. And easily replaced by debris should one be destroyed. The building I plan on using will be the Burn In Designs buildings as I liked their quality and sturdiness.
Finally, I will build a 6X4 table with a lip to hold the tiles in place. In this way the board could be scrolled in a direction by removing the tiles on the far end, pushing the remaining 20 tiles in that direction, then inserting new tiles on the near end adding buildings as required. This means the surface of the support should be a nylon material or something as slick. The table should be able to break down into smaller sections for easy transportation and the tiles should have a carrier/ cabinet to hold them and protect them from damage.

FIRST TILE BUILD

After some trial and error, I found that I could not use the Blue insulation foam for the tile for three reasons…First, they have a tendency to chip and crush easily with handling; second, they do not have a good texture for a street at that scale; finally, it is difficult to get an exact 12” square cut out. So I tried using MDF and had similar issues. Hence, I do what I always do when I need ideas…go to the local home improvement store. There I found the solution.
I will use a standard vinyl floor tile (62 cents each), mount it on blue foam (8X4 sheet at $10 or 32 cents for a 12” square) so that I can create depth under the ‘concrete’ layer for making craters and other effects. Now I need a curb to outline the streets. A 6” curb scales down to about .020 inch. Road ways are typically 12’ wide which scales to about .5 inches so 4 lanes would be 2 inches. So I would need to cover 10” square on the 12” tile leaving a road on the top edge and one of the sides. Looking for sources of styrene that would be 10”x10” became a little difficult, until again the home improvement store came through again. I found these babies: 11”x11” no hunting signs ($1.29) made of .020 inch styrene. Perfect.

So, I have a half inch layer of foam (dirt) with a vinyl tile on top (concrete) that I can use as a guide to cut the foam, then another layer of styrene for the sidewalk and curbs. All of this can be scored with a knife edge or a punch to add detail like expansion joints, sewer drains, and manhole covers. Also I can create good craters by breaking the vinyl and styrene layers and cratering the foam (keeping the pieces to scatter around as debris) for damaged tiles. The depth of the foam also allows me to cut it out for river edges and beaches.

So right now the cost is (1.29+.62+.32=$2.23) per tile for materials. Not bad.

I assembled my trial tile, painting the road black and the sidewalk gray primer. I didn’t like to color so I went back and sprayed it again with lighter grays. First I painted the lines using a paint stick, but they came out way too sloppy. So I made two stencils and spray painted them. Then washed the roads with darker and darker shades to get the effect I wanted. Then a few highlights on the sidewalk were added.

I added a few rough painted buildings and my 1/250 scale VTs for size comparison.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20131009_190654.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20131009_190522.jpg

Things I will do different in the production run:
1. I will score the sidewalk expansion joints deeper so the wash will highlight them more.
2. I will tape off the stencil more to protect from overspray.
3. I will get a better source for styrene…I should be able to get it cheaper.

The Island Package has been ordered from Burn In Designs, no word on delivery yet. I have the Blue Foam and I will purchase the other materials. Time to build a city.

More to come...
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Phaze

Re: Building Macross City for Gencon

Unread post by Phaze »

In light of GENCON coming up, I need to get this project completed so I can test my ...already sold out... events at GENCON.

It’s been a while since I posted, so I will show some in progress photos…

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140517_150106.jpg

First we have some pics of the materials used. ¾ inch Foam board, basic floor tile (I flipped it upside down…the texture is just a little rougher), a 11” square ‘for rent’ sign (cheaper than buying sheet styrene), and some spray adhesive. First I glued the tile on the foam board and then use the tile as a template to cut the foam from around the edges (a slight undercut would work well here). I sprayed that with a Gray Primer

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140517_150805.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140517_151535.jpg

Then I cut out the curb shape I would like from the ‘for rent’ sign and painted it stone gray. You can go crazy with the curb design; I have some with a circle drive, cutouts for parks, parking lots, and parallel parking spaces.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140517_151923.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140517_152003.jpg

I also started to apply the white line template to the bases.

Time to go to the store for more spray paint…lol.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Moving on.... I finished all of the spray painting and stuck the curbs on the tiles. These pics are only of half of the tiles I built, but it gives you a good idea.

Here are some pics... First just the tiles...
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/emptytable.jpg

Now the Unpainted buildings added... Getting closer!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140607_151128.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140607_151142.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140607_151157.jpg

Next time... details on the dirty streets... :)

I found scoring the sidewalk and concrete expansion joints then washing the tile didn't work. I found a light gray paint pen and will use that instead. I also will be weathering the tiles with a cloth dipped in ink and alcohol solution or dark brown paint, water, and flow agent mix. Using one of the two washes should allow the paint to spread out instead of beading up on the enamel spray paint. I then plan to carve out a stamp from the eraser end of a pencil and using it as a stamp to mark manhole covers and storm drains. Then finally add some details like crackes in the street pavement (black .05 tip marker), grass in the parks, and light litter.

Then on to the buildings... I got mine from http://www.burnindesigns.net. He has good stuff and is a robotech fan. I plan on painting the buildings and adding signage for the storefronts. Suggestions would be cool....

I got a couple of Dress stores (lol), UEDF propaganda posters, and building side ads. Also, I am adding a few of my favorites, like the 'Safe House' resturaunt logo (under the sign 'International Exports Ltd.") for the place in Milwaukee that used to be a regular joint to go when at Gencon back in the day it was still there.

More progress soon.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Wow, very nice.......looks like you have your hands full.......good luck at GENCON
The Dragon Has Spoken
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

That's a nice looking city you have there.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Great job! :ok: Please tell me you will be bring this to the OH in 2015!
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Good work! But it needs to be a bit more war-torn; smoke stains over windows, holes, rubble, like the buildings from Eastern Front, etc.
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

OUTSTANDING! should I get lucky and get my stuff prior to GEN Con, I will be sure to bring it along to use on your cool table. ;)
[url]miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com[/url]
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Peacebringer wrote:Good work! But it needs to be a bit more war-torn; smoke stains over windows, holes, rubble, like the buildings from Eastern Front, etc.

I thought it would be cool to be the war-torn streets of Stalingrad, however, the more I thought about it, I liked the unblemished cityscape for two reasons.

1. Macross was a new city that sprung up around this alien spaceship for the purpose of rebuilding it. During the battle, things had little time to burn out, become dusty or decrepit. Even after the fold, Macross was rebuilt inside of the SDF-1. This is not a war-torn city.

2. I like to see the transformation from a new sprawling city to a demolished bombarded husk in the course of a few hours. I plan to have rubble piles, that I will place when a building gets destroyed, craters left from orbital bombardment (did I just let out a game secret? :shock: ), and illuminated smoke and fire plumes that will continue to block LOS. In short, the transformation of this city from a beautiful metropolis to a bombed wasteland should underscore the game. I would be pleased if people would come by the table at the beginning of the battle and say, "That’s a great city!" and take pictures. Only to come back later on and see the devastation and take more pictures for a comparison of the destruction the game can create.

In essence, I want this game to be the battle that creates the war-torn landscape, not just the game that plays in one.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Phaze wrote:Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Peacebringer wrote:Good work! But it needs to be a bit more war-torn; smoke stains over windows, holes, rubble, like the buildings from Eastern Front, etc.

I thought it would be cool to be the war-torn streets of Stalingrad, however, the more I thought about it, I liked the unblemished cityscape for two reasons.

1. Macross was a new city that sprung up around this alien spaceship for the purpose of rebuilding it. During the battle, things had little time to burn out, become dusty or decrepit. Even after the fold, Macross was rebuilt inside of the SDF-1. This is not a war-torn city.

2. I like to see the transformation from a new sprawling city to a demolished bombarded husk in the course of a few hours. I plan to have rubble piles, that I will place when a building gets destroyed, craters left from orbital bombardment (did I just let out a game secret? :shock: ), and illuminated smoke and fire plumes that will continue to block LOS. In short, the transformation of this city from a beautiful metropolis to a bombed wasteland should underscore the game. I would be pleased if people would come by the table at the beginning of the battle and say, "That’s a great city!" and take pictures. Only to come back later on and see the devastation and take more pictures for a comparison of the destruction the game can create.

In essence, I want this game to be the battle that creates the war-torn landscape, not just the game that plays in one.

Wow, nice! Can't wait to see the pictures of that!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Phaze wrote:Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Wow, nice! Can't wait to see the pictures of that!

I will definitely be dropping by your table at GC, that looks amazing.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

we have similar tastes it seems. while wartorn and battered shells are an iconic image for "urban fighting", people tend to forget that battles start in intact cities, and the battered shells are what is left over afterwards. very rarely d you have prolonged campaigns in such environments (Stalingrad being one of the few examples)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:we have similar tastes it seems. while wartorn and battered shells are an iconic image for "urban fighting", people tend to forget that battles start in intact cities, and the battered shells are what is left over afterwards. very rarely d you have prolonged campaigns in such environments (Stalingrad being one of the few examples)

Very true, most of the time you sit back and shell it into submission, Berlin, but in a world of giant mecha and an enemy that does not care about civilian casualties I think you would get a lot more of them.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

UPDATE

The City is approaching completion. The buildings have their base coats on and just need details added such as signage (still looking for suggestions), AC units, and specific hand painted details (like the antennas on the tall tower).

Using a white marker pen I marked out the side streets and touched up the crosswalks. I also added expansion joints to the plates. I kept them generic and I like the look, because it could just as easily be the deck plates inside the SDF-1 or the concrete of the original Macross City. I still need to add other details like the manhole covers and drains.

But here are the most recent pics!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172707.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172637.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172537.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172516.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172507.jpg

While I don't believe this is done yet, it is in good enough condition to take as is... so I'm going to start work on the rubble piles and smoke plumes and if I have time, come back and add the details.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:we have similar tastes it seems. while wartorn and battered shells are an iconic image for "urban fighting", people tend to forget that battles start in intact cities, and the battered shells are what is left over afterwards. very rarely d you have prolonged campaigns in such environments (Stalingrad being one of the few examples)

Very true, most of the time you sit back and shell it into submission, Berlin, but in a world of giant mecha and an enemy that does not care about civilian casualties I think you would get a lot more of them.

the problem is that if your fighting in a gutted city, it means your still fighting on the same ground after several days. the mobility of mecha makes this highly improbable. mecha can cover ground at high speed and unlike tanks and wheeled vehicles, aren't hindered much by broken terrain. especially the robotech mecha, which can jump and fly, and thus bypass what little ground terrain will stop a mecha.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

DUDE I am like super Green with Envy right now, that table is so epic. I wish it was in my game room.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Phaze wrote:UPDATE

The City is approaching completion. The buildings have their base coats on and just need details added such as signage (still looking for suggestions), AC units, and specific hand painted details (like the antennas on the tall tower).

Using a white marker pen I marked out the side streets and touched up the crosswalks. I also added expansion joints to the plates. I kept them generic and I like the look, because it could just as easily be the deck plates inside the SDF-1 or the concrete of the original Macross City. I still need to add other details like the manhole covers and drains.

But here are the most recent pics!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172707.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172637.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172537.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172516.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140720_172507.jpg

While I don't believe this is done yet, it is in good enough condition to take as is... so I'm going to start work on the rubble piles and smoke plumes and if I have time, come back and add the details.

:shock: And its not done, you say? Wow, if that is so, can't wait so what it looks like done. Keep up that great work! :ok:
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Well there is still some details i want to do:

1) paint extra details on the buildings such as trim, antennas, and other items.
2) add signage to some of the buildings such as store fronts, hotels, and other businesses.
3) add manhole covers and drains to the streets
4) add some trees to the scene. (removable, possibly magnatized, so they can be knocked down).
5) paint and add 15mm clear bases with groups of people and add assorted vehicles.
6) add smoke plumes that are illuminated (I will post later on this).
7) add rubble markers for destroyed buildings. (also a later posting)

After these 24 tiles (6ft X 4ft) are complete, I also want to do some other big things like (not for GENCON...this year):

1) add 8 more tiles for a detailed airport (already got buildings, but thats top secret... :quiet: ).
2) add 6 more tiles for a river and bridges.
3) add 4 more tiles for a beach.
4) add 4 more tiles for bombed out cratered city blocks
5) add 6 more tiles for grass, suburban (small houses), and forested areas (edge of town).

This should truely make this a versatile game table. Grab the tiles you want and build a city!
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

I have started on the smoke plumes for buildings that have collapsed. I got the idea from another board (Battletech) but it was so great I had to make my own.

Buy a number of small tealight candles, the electronic kind that flicker. You can find them in most craft supply stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Get your trusty Hot Glue gun out. You can use other glues, but I found that super glue is very messy with the cotton; hot glue worked the best with the fastest assembly time. Now get some cotton balls (cheapest and easiest to get) or pillow stuffing. Unravel the cotton and glue it to form a chamber around the tealight. At this point it will be flimsy and difficult to handle.

Now take it to a well-ventilated area (my wife got upset when I spray painted in the basement) and spray it with black to the level of darkness you like. I used a grey primer first, and then sprayed black. Let it dry and it will be more stable and easier to handle because the paint made it stiffer. Now spray it again with a clear coat and let it dry. Now it will be much easier to handle and store.

Here is the pic:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jakovaltrade/Terrain%20Test%20Robotech/20140722_214900.jpg

Here is the link where I stole the idea from…just for creds :) .

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,31927.0.html
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Actually, all of my buildings are http://www.burnindesigns.net. From the Federation City line. The roads and plates are hand made.

also will you be lighting the smoke clouds with LED's ? if not you should adds a whole new realm to the look, you can get those little LED tea light candles and it would work for a weighted base for the smoke too.

Yes...if you read the post...I did use tea lights to light them. Just can't tell cause of the flash of the camera.
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Power Plant...ummm...not a bad idea.

I have plans for an airport, beach, river and bridges, some grassy and forest tiles, but never though of a power plant. I will look into that...and give you Creds. :)
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

I have been toying with the idea of rubble piles left after the destruction of a building.

I originally thought of making individual pieces that would replace each building as they were destroyed. This I think would be the most aesthetic plan as each piece would be customized for the building it would replace. But it is also the greatest amount of work and in some cases would take longer to build the rubble piles than it took for the original building.

So I thought I would spend some time trying to find an alternative that could still be cool to look at, but less time consuming to produce.
So here are some of the options:

1) Go with the original plan and build rubble piles based on the building it replaces.

2) Create a small bucket of rubble to include bits of broken glass (plastic), pipes, brick and coarse sand and pour out rubble (or use a scoop) onto an area where the building once stood during gameplay. Place the explosion marker (see previous post) on top. With the tile layout is should be easy to pick up after the battle, and would take a lot less time to create and less space to transport.

3) Forget it…just use the explosion marker and be done with it.

What do you think?
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Truly impressive!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

Would you do a tutorial please on how you got them flame templates? They photograph so well. very nice!
Phaze

Unread post by Phaze »

Sure...but it may be awhile. Got many other things on my plate atm with Gencon and all... :D
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

Fully understand, I am too in the same boat.. not with a table per say, but I understand the whole getting ready for GENCON deal. ;)
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Awesome work there. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”