Events at GENCON

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Events at GENCON

Unread post by Axoid »

There are a few events up for Tactics at GENCON, but I noticed that some that were available earlier in the week are now removed, namely the "Landing" games.

Any idea why they were removed from the convention schedule?

Who is all planning on trying to get tickets for these events. I assume since there are so few and only 6 players per, it may be difficult to get in.

RPG1458642 Attack on Macross Episode 1
Robotech Tactics , 1st Edition
Thursday 7:00 PM 4 hrs $4 6

RPG1454414 Fall of Macross Island
Robotech, Shadow Chronicles Edition
Friday 8:00 AM 4 hrs $4 6

RPG1458643 Attack on Macross Episode 2
Friday
8:00 PM 4 hrs $4 6

RPG1458644 Attack on Macross Episode 3
Saturday 5:00 PM 4 hrs $4 6

RPG1458645 Attack on Macross Episode 4
Sunday 8:00 AM 4 hrs $4 6
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Events at GENCON

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Axoid wrote:RPG1454414 Fall of Macross Island

This is my game but it is not a Tactics game. It is just a regular RPG Robotech game set in the first day of the first Robotech War.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Warshield73 wrote:
Axoid wrote:RPG1454414 Fall of Macross Island

This is my game but it is not a Tactics game. It is just a regular RPG Robotech game set in the first day of the first Robotech War.

I realized that, I just listed all the Robotech games. I'm interested in playing this game as well.

Thanks,
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Warshield73 wrote:This is my game but it is not a Tactics game. It is just a regular RPG Robotech game set in the first day of the first Robotech War.

I always thought that would be a great idea.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Axoid wrote:There are a few events up for Tactics at GENCON, but I noticed that some that were available earlier in the week are now removed, namely the "Landing" games.

Any idea why they were removed from the convention schedule?

My guess is that the GM's came to the conclusion that they wouldn't be able to run a minis game without minis. The current delivery date of "May/June" as stated in the last update to specify a date was put out back in January IIRC which coincided with some early cutoff dates for submitted events to gencon in the past. If you actually got minis in May/June, you could feasibly get them assembled and painted for an August convention game. Unfortunately, despite the progress that Palladium and ND are finally showing, the June date is impossible and frankly even getting backers their minis by Gencon is fast approaching that as well. Most folks expect painted minis as convention games if it is a minis game (especially one sponsored by the company as palladium made a big push for this year to increase their games being run). Even if palladium squeaks by and gets a few hundred preselected backers their partial minis (just wave 1 obviously so less than half sculpts promised in May 2013), they won't have enough time to make them look very presentable. Obviously, there are other possibilities like life simply getting in the way (kids, job, family emergency, etc) as well but I don't see how RRPGT gm's will be able to run anything as things are going right now without resorting to paper cutouts (which from experience at gencon tends to get people just walking away from their games when they see that and going for a refund).
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Most of the games canceled are just because the GM canceled. At one time we had, I believe, over 80 games now were down to 50 or 60. I myself thought I was going to have to cancel in March and I just hit another attendance issue this week.

While I am sure a few pulled out due to the delays there are more then enough prototype minis for the MA's to do small demos with.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightfactory wrote:I blame Nissin Noodles. :wink:

After viewing that, I am at a complete loss as to how to reply. Well done sir.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

The Attack on Macross Episodes are my events. As I have been told they are already been sold out.

They are a series of events that will cascade on each other. The second event will be affected by the first...the third event by the second and first. It will not be unballanced, just senario changes and added spice.

I want it noted that you must look in the descriptions of the game.

Episode 1 Is a Robotech RPG Tactics Game... Even if we don't get minis, I have a contigency. Rules however...could be an issue.

Episode 2 Is a Robotech RPG game... NOT A TACTICS GAME. A party of pregenerated characters attempt to rescue survivors from the rubble of a collapsed building.

Episode 3 Is a Robotech RPG Tactics Game...

Episode 4 Is a Robotech RPG Tactics Game.... In Space!

I did this to show how well the RPG could run with the Tactics in a full length saga.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

hmmmm, looks familiar, just curious how do you plan on running without the rules and pieces? If it doesn't show up do you have a version of the rules? If not I would contact PB as I know they have given some rules out with a NDA. That would be the way to go if you haven't done it yet, so you can get familiar with the rules and it won't drag on your game.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

All good info but back to topic, is anyone interested in the tickets? Since all these events are listed under Palladium as the sponsor I think we can assume that if the event organizer doesn't get his own stuff Palladium will help him out in some way. :oops:
Last edited by Axoid on Tue May 20, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Axoid wrote:All good info but back to topic, is anyone interested in the tickets? Since all these events are listed under Palladium as the sponsor I think we can assume that if the event organizer doesn't get his own stuff Palladium will help him out in some way.

wrong topic. try again...

"The Devil's among us!
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Jorel wrote:
Axoid wrote:All good info but back to topic, is anyone interested in the tickets? Since all these events are listed under Palladium as the sponsor I think we can assume that if the event organizer doesn't get his own stuff Palladium will help him out in some way.

wrong topic. try again...

Yeah, that's what I get for having two topics that are similar. Sorry, my mistake.

Anyway, I have these 2 tickets ... :oops:
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

Phaze wrote:Episode 2 Is a Robotech RPG game... NOT A TACTICS GAME. A party of pregenerated characters attempt to rescue survivors from the rubble of a collapsed building.

So it's a mistake in the events listing then? Both "Fall of Macross Island" and "Attack on Macross Episode 2" are Robotech, Shadow Chronicles Edition events? "Attack on Macross Episode 2" is listed as Tactics.

Thanks,
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

looks like 1, 3, & 4 are RRT and only 2 is just the RPG.

"The Devil's among us!
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

Just out of curiousity how can we accurately say the wargame meshes so well with the RPG when we don't have rules yet? How is the extra brutal mortality rate in the wargame going to translate?
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Maximilian Jenius wrote:Just out of curiousity how can we accurately say the wargame meshes so well with the RPG when we don't have rules yet? How is the extra brutal mortality rate in the wargame going to translate?

bring some extra reurrection spells or potions?

"The Devil's among us!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The games "The Landing" were removed as the GM's behind had their plans change and would not be able to run said games.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Just out of curiousity how can we accurately say the wargame meshes so well with the RPG when we don't have rules yet? How is the extra brutal mortality rate in the wargame going to translate?

First off, I spent time at GENCON last year playing the game demo and 2 hour events last year. During the times I could not play the demo I sat at the table and read the 'almost completed' rules....minus the fluff. I believe I have a good grasp on how it is played and the unit’s stats, allowing me to trial my games. Out of respect for Palladium, I have kept clear of rules discussion until after the release, although I am not under a NDA.

Even Kevin agreed that the mortality rate of RPG Tactics would be harsh on PCs. There are several ways to compensate for this, such as using the overkill rule, that any MDC damage to a vehicle will not translate to the pilot...so he could have his craft explode around him but not take damage himself...or if that is too unrealistic for you, you could take the pilot and or passengers of a destroyed craft to half or more hit points. This way PCs could survive even the harshest Tactics battle.

My games don't involve PCs in vehicles, rather the Tactics game supporting the RPG PCs action (think of it as two scenes.. Macro and Micro) but each scene supports the other in subtle ways.

Yes it was a mistake in the listing that Episode 2 was listed as a Robotech RPG Tactics Game. It should have been listed as a Robotech RPG game using the Macross source book. The description made it clear that it is a pregenerated character RPG game. I am working with Palladium and Gencon to get it corrected, however it may be a moot point as it is already sold out. I just hope I can get the info out to give the people who bought the tickets thinking it was a Tactics game the opportunity to get a refund or choose to go anyway. No matter, it will be a great time as I always get good feedback from my events. I strive to have fun first, that way everybody wins, even if they were turned into a red mist cloud by a particle cannon and all that remains is a blood stained photograph of their beloved chihuahua floating to the ground.

I have a contingency plan for minis(not paper), although it would involve a significant investment in time and material, that would be replaced by the actual miniatures when they would show up. While I am still under the belief that ND and PB can get the minis to us (kickstarters) prior to GENCON, simply because I believe it would be a huge mistake to blow by an opportunity like that, I would be hopefull that they could supply me with the miniatures to use at GENCON should they not get the kickstarters out. Because I am tring to support them by running events, and they posted the events and have some knowledge of what I wanted to do, so therefore they must be under the belief that they can deliver. If they utterly fail at getting me minis, either through the kickstarter or to use, I have other avenues, such as a combination of old battletech minis and japanese toys. I also could cast (white metal or resin) some reproductions of miniatures just to use in my scenerios, but I honestly don't believe it will go that far.

I am not afraid of getting paint on the minis, I can make them look good fairly quickly. I have painted a fleet of spaceships in a night... I have painted a warhammer 40K army of 750pts in the morning before a game, and still got compliments...I have won several speed painting contests ( the good ones where you COULD sabotage the people sitting next to you by bumping them and stealing their paint...good times >:) )

No matter how it happens...It will happen...and it will be a great time.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

So, with the news that the container ship got held up in customs, what's the plan for these RRT events at GENCON? I didn't mind not having the actual models to play with, but I was really hoping to do a full rule set test drive.

Phaze, any chance you got a early copy of the rules (and maybe minis) for your events? If not, I may sell back my tickets as my weekend is already overbooked. Not that your events won't be fun, it's just that the main reason for me playing would be to play the full rules for RRT.
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

I personally helped prepare and delivered to the post office a copy of the complete rules for Phaze today.
The mini's will be at the Palladium booth awaiting him (as will his t-shirt)

Hopefully this helps answer your question and puts to rest any fears people may have :)
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

TagsPB wrote:I personally helped prepare and delivered to the post office a copy of the complete rules for Phaze today.
The mini's will be at the Palladium booth awaiting him (as will his t-shirt)

Hopefully this helps answer your question and puts to rest any fears people may have :)

Thanks, good news.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”