Penguicon RRT Review?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Forar
Hero

Penguicon RRT Review?

Unread post by Forar »

According to Kevin's murmur, tons of people loved what they saw of RRT, and a dozen backers came up to him to express how happy they were.

So, who got ahold of that rule book for a flip through? Anyone manage to get some pics of the rules? Got some details to share? Perhaps play out a demo with more than just the bare bones Adepticon/Gencon/Fan Fare demo sheet?
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Penguicon RRT Review?

Unread post by Jorel »

There was a few pics I saw on the KS. Whoever posted that may have been one of them Kevin was referring to. Guess you'll have to go and search back and see who posted that to figure out if they thought it was that great.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Did they post them in the general or update comments? Browsing through all that stuff on mobile devices can be trying in between doing stuff I'm actually supposed to be doing.

edit: Found it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorow/ ... otostream/
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Unread post by Kendachi »

Oh man...

I didn't realize you could see the seams on the FPA from a block away... through a dirty window... the week I had pink eye... and I was drunk... and it was raining.

What I'm trying to say is, SEAMS!

Those are not gonna disappear on the production models...
"If a question is not asked, then how can it be ignored?" - NMI

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Ugh... if any of those are production models, then I see why the backers are so upset.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Best I can tell, those are the 3D printed and/or sculpted prototypes.

We'd need PB to confirm/deny, but they appear to be the exact same models they brought to Gencon and the 2014 GAMA trade show, which means they (all?) predate the test sprues by months. I see "Seamus McSeamline the Spartan" there, so it's possible he's still getting shown off (WHYYYYY?), but no, those aren't even production figures.

Remember, the Support Pod is the one they've had the longest, and as of the last update it still hadn't been assembled in the office.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Forar wrote: I see "Seamus McSeamline the Spartan" there, so it's possible he's still getting shown off (WHYYYYY?), but no, those aren't even production figures.

Love the name. Probably will go down as one of the most infamous show pieces. I'm waiting to see which sculptor claims that one on a resume. :lol:

That being said, I have zero experience designing plastic models/game pieces. However, I wonder what Seamus McSeamline would look like if the main body seam ran 90 degrees off from what they are now, so that part of the seams could be covered by shoulders, not unlike how the Pods main body look like they'll fit together.

Still, now that they're finished with Cons until Gen Con, this one is hoping to see production pieces together soon. I wouldn't mind seeing the designer of the pieces put them together either, just because that would seam like a good move. If said designer is continuing on to other pieces, they may be able to learn some things for practical application for future plastic designs. Namely, my beloved Nousjaduel-Ger. :bandit:
Last edited by Jerell on Tue May 06, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

keep in mind guys.. the palladium staff aren't experienced mini's gamers. they probably don't know the ways to minimize the seams on an assembled figure. trim the sprue off wrong, use too much glue or wait too long to put the parts together, all of these can make big visable seams even on figures that normally wouldn't have them.

so before you start blaming the sculptors for all of it, consider that some of it might just be poor assembly skills on the part of PB.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

glitterboy2098 wrote:keep in mind guys.. the palladium staff aren't experienced mini's gamers. they probably don't know the ways to minimize the seams on an assembled figure. trim the sprue off wrong, use too much glue or wait too long to put the parts together, all of these can make big visable seams even on figures that normally wouldn't have them.

so before you start blaming the sculptors for all of it, consider that some of it might just be poor assembly skills on the part of PB.

Which begs the question of why on earth they'd let someone who was so ignorant of proper assembly techniques put together their showpiece figs from an over $1 MILLION DOLLAR project for the biggest trade convention in their industry. No matter how you try to explain this whole post kickstarter campaign away, it just leads to even more lack of common sense and ignorance of what is expected. All they had to do was put out a call for a local experienced volunteer or simply have their supposed "minis" guy do it properly.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

glitterboy2098 wrote:keep in mind guys.. the palladium staff aren't experienced mini's gamers. they probably don't know the ways to minimize the seams on an assembled figure. trim the sprue off wrong, use too much glue or wait too long to put the parts together, all of these can make big visable seams even on figures that normally wouldn't have them.

True, that's a good point. I meant no offense and I'm sure it's better than I could do, as I have no idea how to design something put cut from sprues. If I offended anyone I apologize for my sense of humor.

It's been said that Seamus McSeamline the Spartan was pried apart and re-glued after disassembly. I'm sure that won't make it any better either. I still think the designer should put one together (a fresh production model), and post a pic some day. Just think it would be cool. :) Like a, 'this is my work, what do you think?'
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

3D printing is *extremely* expensive compared to injection moulding. Like, orders of magnitude.

Also, much, much slower.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Yeah. The missile pod covers being in 2 pieces continues to baffle me. We've seen much bigger pieces as a single part (the recovery pod sprue is full of them), there is simply no reason for something that small to be in two pieces.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Forar wrote:Yeah. The missile pod covers being in 2 pieces continues to baffle me. We've seen much bigger pieces as a single part (the recovery pod sprue is full of them), there is simply no reason for something that small to be in two pieces.

Why they went with attached covers, I'll never understand. Don't they do this in one piece for larger, actual model kits?

Sheesh.

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
yanko128
D-Bee

Unread post by yanko128 »

I don't buy that. For $50 I can get one of the local minis painters to assemble the model, and have it painted to display quality. And it is not difficult to find a local minis painter that does commissions. Even if all you want is tabletop quality, that could run you $20 each, 20 display models, that comes out to $400, out of a $1.4mil KS. Ignorance is not an excuse.
Kendachi
Wanderer

I've painted for money before. In this instance, if PB would put my name on it, I'd do it for free. I bet they could find somebody like that in their neck of Michigan...

Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

There are insane amounts of studio level painters out there. This should have been outsourced from the beginning.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

thing is.. do they know enough to be able to find one? i could say "i'll go find a programmer to make me a video game!' but when itcomes to actually finding someone in my area who can program.. i wouldn't have the first clue where to go looking. because i am not familiar with programming and the programming field.

so yeah, maybe they could have outsourced. but would they know where to start looking for someone to do it? or that s\uch individuals exist?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

They have people that go to gaming stores. Good place to start.

"The Devil's among us!
yanko128
D-Bee

Unread post by yanko128 »

Any FLGS worth his/her salt will know someone who does painting commissions.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I found these guys http://bluetablepainting.com/ after looking up Ninja Division, and followed some links. Apparently ND's guy in England basically folded without so much as a word. And on their forums, I found these guys... and they seem pretty good. At least they update their website.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

So, "dozens" of backers were at Penguicon, but none of them post here on the forums or in the comments?

That's a shame. Had I been there, it would've been a full photobucket album extravaganza and a couple page write up on the rule book and demo, if I got the opportunity to play.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Forar wrote:So, "dozens" of backers were at Penguicon, but none of them post here on the forums or in the comments?

That's a shame. Had I been there, it would've been a full photobucket album extravaganza and a couple page write up on the rule book and demo, if I got the opportunity to play.

I suspect the same new math that brought up 98% done robotech and 1% of fans want change is at play here.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't get these mythical people who all praised those seams

"The Devil's among us!

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”