Modified Zentraedi warship

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Modified Zentraedi warship

Unread post by mech798 »

Got my Japanese fan book about zentradi ships and they had this little gem in it:

It's here since the forum won't let us use image tags.

Quite a nice little designa nd something that, especially given the UEEG's relative lack of resources compared to Macross settings, might have been a good idea. Granted, no main gun, but lots of Dakka. Lots and lots of Dakka.

Sorry about the low quality, but it was a 25 dollar book, so I'm reluctant to damage the spine by using a scanner instead of my phone on it.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Modified Zentraedi warship

Unread post by taalismn »

Nice find!

Yeah, modernize the SDF-1's rail guns, remount the Lancer's plasma cannons as point defense weapons , and use them as extra dakka on refurbished Z-ships.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i believe that the UEEF did make use of converted Zentraedi warships. for a couple reasons.
1.) they had a number of them when we last saw earth in macross Saga, and it seems unlikely they'd scrap functional ships when they already had the wrecks of hundreds of thousands in orbit. (absolutely no way that 5 million ships in earth orbit could be completely destroyed by the SDF-1.. not without vaporizing earth)
2.) Zentraedi ships are far larger than anything earth can and has built, and represent a unique resource as a result. (earth biggest ships, the SDf-3, SDF-4, and Ark Angel are only on par with the Zentreadi scout ship, the smallest zent ship)
3.) we see a fleet of zentreadi warships being used in 2017 to help bury the containment site of the SDF-1 using orbital bombardment. (Invasion comic series, mars base story, issue 5)

since we now know that the UEEF micronized all of its zentreadi (though apparently not before 2017, as we see a full sized breetai), and had planned to do so, it follows they would have a bunch of zentreadi warships left over with no full sized crews. since we know from the show that they'd refitted the ships to include micronian crew and control stations, it wouldn't take much to finish adapting them to a fully human crew.
given the sheer volume of space they had inside, they could easily have configured the ships in the style of the SDF-1, with prefab housing and such for the crew stuffed into the zent crew quarters, and turn them into veritable mobile cities, with massive storage as well. combined they'd be ideal as the center pieces of fleets, where ships could resupply and refuel, and crews could take shore leave.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I agree that the United Earth government would be using every resource they had to defend earth with. And fully functional ship which can be modified to fit your needs, especially to infiltrate the enemy's empire would be very useful. Which is something i do not see often discussed. The flag ship was concealed in this manor, why not a host of your military forces?
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

glitterboy2098 wrote:3.) we see a fleet of zentreadi warships being used in 2017 to help bury the containment site of the SDF-1 using orbital bombardment. (Invasion comic series, mars base story, issue 5)

I thought that the SDF-1/Monument City was near Calgary, Alberta, Canada? If it isn't that's cool...but that pic looks like they are shooting at Pennsylvania?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

slade the sniper wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:3.) we see a fleet of zentreadi warships being used in 2017 to help bury the containment site of the SDF-1 using orbital bombardment. (Invasion comic series, mars base story, issue 5)

I thought that the SDF-1/Monument City was near Calgary, Alberta, Canada? If it isn't that's cool...but that pic looks like they are shooting at Pennsylvania?

-STS

-because somebody in Pennsylvania deserved it...
"We're bombarding the surface anyways; nobody will notice if I tweak the targeting on a beam or two to smack that rat of my ex..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually New Macross city/the three mounds is supposed to be in the great lakes area somewhere, since part of reflex point was built over it, according to HG
https://robotech.com/roboverse/term/reflex-point
looking at the map from new Generation
http://www.robotechresearch.com/picture ... _large.jpg
i'd guess it is that big offshoot hive in the Wisconsin/Illinois area, since we never see anything like the great lakes in the wide shots of the city.

Monument city is apparently a distance away. not a long ways off (close enough that Dana and Co could drive there on hovercycles in a few hours) but far enough that a leisurely trip by VF still took some time.

taalismn wrote:-because somebody in Pennsylvania deserved it...
"We're bombarding the surface anyways; nobody will notice if I tweak the targeting on a beam or two to smack that rat of my ex..."

:lol: :lol:
actually on the page we see the beams hittign the ground and throwing up sprays of dirt to cover the containment buildings, so apparently they did hit the right spot.
i suspect the artisit has about as much clue as to where new macross city was as the general fan, given HG never actually gave us a specific location, and even the dialog in the show is contradictory.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually New Macross city/the three mounds is supposed to be in the great lakes area somewhere, since part of reflex point was built over it, according to HG
https://robotech.com/roboverse/term/reflex-point
looking at the map from new Generation
http://www.robotechresearch.com/picture ... _large.jpg
i'd guess it is that big offshoot hive in the Wisconsin/Illinois area, since we never see anything like the great lakes in the wide shots of the city.

Monument city is apparently a distance away. not a long ways off (close enough that Dana and Co could drive there on hovercycles in a few hours) but far enough that a leisurely trip by VF still took some time.

taalismn wrote:-because somebody in Pennsylvania deserved it...

:lol: :lol:
actually on the page we see the beams hittign the ground and throwing up sprays of dirt to cover the containment buildings, so apparently they did hit the right spot.
i suspect the artisit has about as much clue as to where new macross city was as the general fan, given HG never actually gave us a specific location, and even the dialog in the show is contradictory.

Happy dance!
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I do like the look of that modified ship. Is that an SDF looking bridge on the top center, or just some kind of sensor array?
taalismn
Priest

Jerell wrote:I do like the look of that modified ship. Is that an SDF looking bridge on the top center, or just some kind of sensor array?

I can only hope it's a sensory array or captain's lounge/yacht---because a bridge like that is HORRIBLY exposed. I prefer Zentraedi-style CICs buried deep inside the battle armor.
True, you can't look out the window in an emergency, but if space combat has devolved to eyeball range, you're doing something majorly wrong.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i have generally figured that the refits would be solely internal.. plumbing and wiring modified to let human scale stuff interface in, human scale doorways added to the hatches..

then walkways, platforms, and prefab buildings used to build up living spaces and the like in rooms and hallways. some of the bigger rooms might have been converted to parks/agricultural areas, turned to storerooms, etc. maybe some light industry stuff. most of them would likely have human scale stations and stuff like we saw in the show already.

basically do to the inside what was done to the SDF-1. turn it into a human crewed ship inside.

i doubt that the UEEF would want to try and refit the weapons too much.. that would be a lot more work, and most human weapons are a lot shorter ranged than the zentreadi stuff anyway.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Subdivide and stepdown some of the plumbing, so a toilet flush doesn't result in a torpedo tube-like suction in the micronian privies....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i was assuming a holding tank like system for each 'block' (aka, zent sized room) so that they could pre-process the waste, pumping the overflow into the ship's main pipes whenever needed.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i have generally figured that the refits would be solely internal.. plumbing and wiring modified to let human scale stuff interface in, human scale doorways added to the hatches..

then walkways, platforms, and prefab buildings used to build up living spaces and the like in rooms and hallways. some of the bigger rooms might have been converted to parks/agricultural areas, turned to storerooms, etc. maybe some light industry stuff. most of them would likely have human scale stations and stuff like we saw in the show already.

basically do to the inside what was done to the SDF-1. turn it into a human crewed ship inside.

i doubt that the UEEF would want to try and refit the weapons too much.. that would be a lot more work, and most human weapons are a lot shorter ranged than the zentreadi stuff anyway.

Well this is a book set in the Macross universe, there the UN Spacy has a lot more production capacity. I think by 2040 the have something like 20 full sized factory sats, as well as weapons tech equal too the zentran models (though not as utterly durable).

It also makes sense-the Megaroad carried 80,000 civilians, so a modified LST should be able to carry at least that many.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

taalismn wrote:
Jerell wrote:I do like the look of that modified ship. Is that an SDF looking bridge on the top center, or just some kind of sensor array?

I can only hope it's a sensory array or captain's lounge/yacht---because a bridge like that is HORRIBLY exposed. I prefer Zentraedi-style CICs buried deep inside the battle armor.
True, you can't look out the window in an emergency, but if space combat has devolved to eyeball range, you're doing something majorly wrong.

When I zoomed in on it, looks like there are 4 of them. One top center, one bottom center a bit forward. And two on each side. This is probably a giant turret system, as it looks like all weapon systems are shown either in the exposed position, or they don't hide at all.
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

taalismn wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:

-STS

-because somebody in Pennsylvania deserved it...

Geek Karma is a cast iron bastard, isn't it. :twisted:
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

since this is back on the front page, a quick update:

going by the map in 'the art of shadow chronicles" of Reflex point and the 'SX-Point-83" hive site* images (on pg34), it is roughly ontop of Thunder bay, Ontario. o nthe shores of lake Superior.

*which is an invid hive right ontop of the three mounds, which in masters saga were "SX-point-83". the art of book even calls out 'chunks of battlecruiser wreckage' in the location artwork.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:since this is back on the front page, a quick update:

going by the map in 'the art of shadow chronicles" of Reflex point and the 'SX-Point-83" hive site* images (on pg34), it is roughly ontop of Thunder bay, Ontario. o nthe shores of lake Superior.

*which is an invid hive right ontop of the three mounds, which in masters saga were "SX-point-83". the art of book even calls out 'chunks of battlecruiser wreckage' in the location artwork.

Popular spot to take the kids...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:2.) Zentraedi ships are far larger than anything earth can and has built, and represent a unique resource as a result. (earth biggest ships, the SDf-3, SDF-4, and Ark Angel are only on par with the Zentreadi scout ship, the smallest zent ship)

Actually the SDF-3, SDF-4, Tokagawa are length wise closer to the Zentreadi Gunship or forward section of the Zentreadi Command Ship (Khyron/Azonia). And the Ark Angel is on par with the Zentreadi Destroyer and dwarfs the rear section of the Command Ship (Khyron/Azonia). Even the Ikazuchi is longer than the Scout ship. The ARMD and Tristar are a little bit shorter. Overall dimensions might be different though, this is looking at the RT.com size comparison chart (now not hidden behind membership)

Now in terms of mass it might be a different story, but the Infopedia and AotSC doesn't include mass for the human ships. That leaves us with the 2E (or 1E even) RPG.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”