Gods, Godlings, and Demi-Gods - Martial Arts and Chi

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fenrir_Lokison
D-Bee

Gods, Godlings, and Demi-Gods - Martial Arts and Chi

Unread post by Fenrir_Lokison »

I am curious about how people would handle gods, godlings, and demi-gods having actual martial skills as indicated in Ninjas and Superspies, Mystic China, and other products with more uniquely developed martial forms.

For example, could there be a god who is truly a god of fighting who knows all martial art forms, martial art powers, and have chi in the thousands? Would those powers be enhanced and function in ways that what mortals can never learn without divine insight or training?

Can a godling natural pick a martial form instead of one of its standard combat options (with or without complimentary martial powers) or can they use their abilities to pick a form and its abilities or even just pick martial powers?

Given the elevated levels of a demi-god, would it be limited to the same rules that affect mortal arts, like not being able to take two exclusive martial art forms?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Gods, Godlings, and Demi-Gods - Martial Arts and Chi

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Typically I only allow you to take a hand to hand style listed in your (X)cc
So rifts Gods, godlings and demi-godds do not have the option for ninjas ans superspies martial arts. (only characters converted from a setting have OCCs from the setting.)
A demigod could as I understand it take a OCC with a martial art from rifts japan or rifts china.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Rifts Conversion Book 1 (Revised) pg52-3 has optional rule/suggestions for Adapting N&SS Martial Arts Powers into Psionic Powers. DB3 (Phaseworld SB) pg21-3 when discussion Oni Ninja techniques mentions that ISP is roughly equivalent to Chi. I do not have either China WB, but WB8 Japan pg197-9 has the Zenjorki Powers as fueled by PPE (?) and some others are basically presented as "skills".

As far as taking a Martial Arts form from N&SS line. Unless they can alter their HTH skill, and I don't know if they can or cannot as I don't have them in any book I own, then they are stuck with whatever HTH abilities is described in their respective class. There could be megaversal book legal options to get around this though by using an alternate construction source that results in a God/Godling/Demi-God, but I do not know of anything specific.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

Gods can have whatever stats you wish to give them. They're gods.

Godlings have relatively (compared to Demigods) limited options in this regard, but since you're clearly opening your game to the entire megaverse, I don't believe there's anything stopping a Demigod from being an Ancient Weapons Master (Heroes Unlimited, Powers Unlimited 2) or some other kung fu-badass O.C.C. class that you can find. If dual O.C.C.s are permitted, you could even have them dual class into something like a Gun Master (World Book: China 2) later on, possibly lifting the "you have to be in China" part as a house rule due to their divine status. They'd definitely be a 'master of all combat styles' for all intents and purposes.
Fenrir_Lokison
D-Bee

Unread post by Fenrir_Lokison »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:Gods can have whatever stats you wish to give them. They're gods.

Godlings have relatively (compared to Demigods) limited options in this regard, but since you're clearly opening your game to the entire megaverse, I don't believe there's anything stopping a Demigod from being an Ancient Weapons Master (Heroes Unlimited, Powers Unlimited 2) or some other kung fu-badass O.C.C. class that you can find. If dual O.C.C.s are permitted, you could even have them dual class into something like a Gun Master (World Book: China 2) later on, possibly lifting the "you have to be in China" part as a house rule due to their divine status. They'd definitely be a 'master of all combat styles' for all intents and purposes.

Don't even get me started on other O.C.C. or maybe even certain R.C.C.s questions and demigods (demigod werewolf/ley line walker anyone?). Though it would be interesting to find out that a centries old dojo rivalry is being continued by two semi-immortal siblings fighting over an shared love of a woman for centuries. Or a lone demigod who is a ninja and samurai is behind to factions of a criminal organzation's assassin squad and bodyguard teams.

Return to “Rifts®”