What happened to Rome Post Rifts Cannon

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ryokoryu
Wanderer

What happened to Rome Post Rifts Cannon

Unread post by ryokoryu »

I am playing a Catholic priest in a game where I am hoping to say he was trained in the Vatican but I can't find any information on what happened to Rome post-cataclysm. Is there cannon information available or is it an open situation here? Also please don't turn this post into an argument about religion or the like thank you.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: What happened to Rome Post Rifts Cannon

Unread post by Library Ogre »

There was some non-canon stuff about a Wolfen empire in Rome in some of the Rifters, but I don't think it's ever been covered.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i'm sure if catholicism survived the rifts somehow they'd make a new vatican city somewhere more defensible anyways.

honestly, if you're setting up in north america there's probably a fake vatican somewhere. i don't seen religious groups turning down a chance to use the apocolypse to establish themselves as the new heads of earthly beleif.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Orin J. wrote:i'm sure if catholicism survived the rifts somehow they'd make a new vatican city somewhere more defensible anyways.

honestly, if you're setting up in north america there's probably a fake vatican somewhere. i don't seen religious groups turning down a chance to use the apocolypse to establish themselves as the new heads of earthly beleif.

IIRC, there's a group that claims to be the real Catholic Church out in western Kansas.

A little less heretically, SM Stirling's Emberverse novels have a world-wide catastrophe happen in 1998 (ending all electricity and high-pressure chemistry; no firearms, no internal combustion engines), leading to at least two separate Catholic churches in the Pacific Northwest; one centered around several monasteries, and one centered around the kingdom set up by an old history professor.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Unread post by ryokoryu »

Mark Hall wrote:There was some non-canon stuff about a Wolfen empire in Rome in some of the Rifters, but I don't think it's ever been covered.

Thank you mark, this was exactly the quick, concise cannon based answer I was looking for.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

ryokoryu wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:There was some non-canon stuff about a Wolfen empire in Rome in some of the Rifters, but I don't think it's ever been covered.

Thank you mark, this was exactly the quick, concise cannon based answer I was looking for.

Actually WB 5: Triax and the NGR pg.216 actual describes the wolfen as being in Italy. No official numbers or stats but in canon there are Wolfen and a half dozen other peoples fighting it out down there. Nothing specific about Rome.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

ryokoryu wrote:

Rifters aren't canon for the most part.

The actual canon (one N, not two, two is a gun) is that there are wolfen and other races fighting it out down there, as Warshield posted
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

New Roman Republic is in Rifter #1
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I could see value in establishing a second Holy See in France, both as a decontruction of the Papal Schism of 1378 and in recognition that little has been written about the region. I don't recall where the reference is to rumors of a French city of superheroes, but it would be neat to draw upon that in sourcing members of a Palatine Guard.

Perhaps in a gesture of ecumenical largess from the Rump Pontifical Commission, the Bishops of Rome and New Avignon(also known as Cockaigne) could recognize each other's authority, with the apocalypse rendering earlier hierarchies obsolete. This would allow for opposed groups to claim the term antipope in a cruel subversion of its historical use. Mixed groups of Blood Druids/Demon Priests/Witches/Soulmancers could squabble over titles in the Bretagne-based Church of the New Blood Ascendent, while they conceal from the levies of Hell Lord Heart Ripper the numbers of Faerie-folk they've corrupted into Hemogoblins.

As for Rome, I'd want to take a hint from the Venture Brothers, and put one of the Gorilla-looking races such as Grimbor in Swiss Guard outfits.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

This is actually canon in the form of "rumors" discussed in the Wolfen entry in the Conversion Book.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Curbludgeon wrote:As for Rome, I'd want to take a hint from the Venture Brothers, and put one of the Gorilla-looking races such as Grimbor in Swiss Guard outfits.

Only NOBODY makes fun of the anachronistic outfits, especially if they got MDC plate and fabric, enchanted/blessed gear, and tricked out weaponry.
They may look funny, but they'll rip trespassers new ones in a second.
And, if you want to take up the Swiss part, add a second line of Zurich Gnomes with their hands on the triggers of some heavy firepower lurking behind cover.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There's nothing really going on there, canon-wise, just a few obscure rumors. Personally, I would prefer to see it be a wilderness, and any Rifts power there be wildly different from historical and cultural precedents.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Rifts®”