Chipwell's weapon lineup

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Chipwell's weapon lineup

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Orin J. wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:How far goes Chipwell's catalog in the area of armor? "Normal" ones, full enviroment or not, not power armor, that i know they have dipped into.

not including the one o packed into the first post, i believe they've been mentioned as producing their own line version of the armors in the core rifts books, although i forget exactly which ones it is. i wonder who first made those armor designs....

If we are talking of "general/vanilla" models like Urban Warrior, Plastic Man, Huntsman & Bushman, that have no owner afaik, probably lost in time or spread all around the place by a mix of helpful operators and enterpreuning black marketeers eager to do knock-offs. :lol:

Hmm, if Chipwell is capable of producing those i imagine they could certainly try some quick & dirty stopgap "upgrades" to cover face from some of their power armor debacles of the past, like replace their usual "plates & rivets" scheme with a inexpensive light weight polycarbonate plate full enviroment protection modeled in the good, old Plastic-Man.

As an aside, i would say the Watchman might not exactly be a great sell, considering that a Plastic-Man is only a little more expensive (about the price of adding a radio feature in cost difference) but offers more homogenous protection, lighter weight and better mobility/stealth.

Sure, they could make them better - but that defeats the purpose of making something in the price range of people that can't afford those expensive Northern gun models!

Well, my intent with the "Plastic-Man Plus" covering was to make them better but still cheaper than the typical Northern gun models! :-P

Orin J. wrote:I suspect you might've missed the point of the Watchman. it's not cheaper to buy, it's cheaper to maintain in bulk- the average traveling scholar may not care that the random patch jobs make their huntsman armor look a four-year old painted it but any business will. and the watchman lets them replace a few plates, sell the refuse back to Chipwell and have the same set of armor on the same soldier front and center within a day. it also means Chipwell Armaments is a regular visit of their materials team.....

You have a good point there. While the difference from a purchase standpoint might be slight, the plates should make a big difference in maintenance costs, as replacing an easily disposable plate under padding would cost far less than welding/patching on larger, more solid plates of other models. The Urban Warrior is the only one that seems to follow a similar design idea - and it costs more than twice than the Watchman, so not a real alternative.

That said the noisiness bothers me a bit because it makes me think of the damn think clinking all the time, what would imply the plates are looser in the padding than they should be, what sounds (duh!) more like a matter of shoddy design than reducing costs to me! :lol:
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Okay, okay, THIS is the last thing. I scribbled this out while working on some unrelated materials, and figured the design was suitable for Chipwell's product line. Also i decided that the electrostun weapons were a mite overpowered, and downgraded the strength of the stun from the nerual mace stats. that thing's kinda ruthless. you can go and see the corrected stats in their original post i edited.

Chipwell "First-Strike" Combat walker robot

The first true "robot" from Chipwell's design team rather than an oversized powered armor, The Combat Walker is honestly more of a buggy with legs than what people in RIFTS earth think of as a robot. It's also lightly armored, has limited range and limited features like most of Chipwell's lineup. The combat walker served as a testbed of several development teams work, and the final result is a mishmash of technologies but was pushed through to production rather than let the money spent on R&D go to waste. Unlike their other designs, Chipwell advertises the "First-strike" as having some of the highest firepower in its weight class, and to a limited extent this is actually true.

The main weapon of the Combat walker is a six-round missile rack capable of firing medium-range missiles with a range of over 40 miles, which outranges many much larger (and vastly more expensive) machines! The drawback to this is once the missiles are fired, Chipwell's Combat walker is armed about as well as an infantryman until it's able to return to base to be reloaded by a separate team. Many forces have derided this highly limited firepower, but several veteran mercenary units have purchased the design and even Colonel Tiberius Braddok himself described them as "the most cost effective means of supporting fire in North America" in a leaked combat report (believed done intentionally by chipwell's marketing department through spies). Deployed strategically in units, the Combat walker's supporting fire can decide even medium sized battles without coming under fire themselves, making them an invaluable tool in the right hands.

Because of this potential firepower, Chipwell's combat walker has been banned in the Coalition states. This is normally not unusual for weapons manufacturers, but Chipwell has enjoyed their lineup being at most "restricted" to acceptable sellers until now and is honestly shocked at the decision. Chipwell Armaments has been forced to sell/ship their "first strike" Combat walker largely through the black market as a result, which rankles the company to lose a cut of the profits and limits their ability to offer extended support programs. Regardless of support, the Combat walker has seen steady sales in Merctown, and several small kingdoms are making purchases where available (Often through the black market, at high markups that are ironically still much cheaper than most robots- rumors suggest the black market might be seeing more profit off the walkers than Chipwell!)

CRW-01 Combat robot
*Spotlight/gun turret: 15
+Medium-range Missile rack: 24
*Feet : 16
Legs: 75
lower torso: 60
~Rear torso bay: 90
Canopy: 60
**Main Body: 170

-----------------------------------------
+ The Missile rack is only exposed when activated to fire, otherwise this area is contained inside the rear torso bay.
~The rear torso bay contains both the missile rack and the robot's battery system, destroying it will shut the robot down.
* A single asterisk indicates a small and difficult target to strike, requiring the attacker to make a called shot and even then the attacker is at -3 to strike.
**Depleting the main body destroys the robot, rendering it inoperable

Speed
Running: 40 MPH maximum
Leaping: The robotic legs are not designed for leaping, and only propel the robot roughly 8 feet high/across
Flying: Not possible
Swimming: Not possible and the robot sinks like a stone!

Statistical data:
Height: 24 Feet
Width: 8 feet
Length: 18 feet
Weight: 12 tons
Physical strength: Equal to robotic PS of 24
Cargo space: Minimal, enough for some extra clothes, a few small weapons and some personal items. A small compartment for holding supplies can store maps, a sidearm, and a few days food and water rations.
Power system: Electrical batteries supplemented by Micro-nuclear plant, provides 7 days power for the robot itself and a small separate power store for the laser, radio, and radar systems as well as the life support that is effectively unlimited. The micro-plant can be rigged to recharge the batteries when not in use (electrical engineering, -20%), but the whole thing has to be shut down and power systems switched over with every day offline recharging a day's worth of the batteries.
Cost: 675,000 credits, this doesn't include the cost of the missiles. Initially a design without the missile rack was planned to be sold for 500,000 credits but when reports came back about the positive response of the weapon system, these were quietly recalled for retooling to the "first-strike" model. It's possible a few of these managed to be sold before that happened. the -00 "city strider" model lacked the missile system and instead has an 8'x 4'x 5' cargo compartment that lets it hold supplies with a single-slot locker to charge an E-Clip or chipwell electrical battery (Takes an hour / four hours, respectively)

Weapon systems:

Retractable Missile rack: A six-tube missile rack built to retract into the rear-left compartment of the walker when not ready to fire, opposite the batteries. The tubes are designed to accept both short- and and medium-range missiles of most standard designs but are in a fixed mounting so while the missiles themselves are self-guiding, the Combat walker has to keep it's facing in the rough direction of the target while firing. The Combat walker boasts a full-range radar and targeting computer exclusively for the missile system, which is designed to accept targeting telemetry through encoded pulses via radio channels allowing it to engage targets outside of the range of its own systems.
Primary purpose: Anti-Armor, Anti-Fortification
Secondary purpose: Anti-Infantry, Bombardment
Mega-damage: As missile, normal warhead payload is heavy explosive (2d6x10, 30 ft) or armor piercing (2d4x10 20 ft) medium range missiles
Rate of fire: 1,2 or 4 missiles per melee attack
Range: Per missile, short range missiles are usually 2-3 miles while medium range missiles vary from 40-50 miles!

Integral laser: Simply a wilk's 457 pulse rifle, assembled into the main body which requires the whole torso to reposition itself to target. the weapon is connected directly to the micro-nuclear plant, but uses the backup targeting systems due to limitations. (-1 to hit)
Primary purpose: Anti-infantry, Assault
Secondary purpose: Anti-armor
Mega-damage 3D6+2 per single shot, 1D6 x 10 permultiple pulse burst (three shots)
Rate of fire: Standard
Range: 2000 feet
Payload: Effectively unlimited but restricted, the weapon is limited to 20 shots in a melee round before it exhausts the capacitor's energy supply and must wait for system to recharge it the next melee round.

.45 Caliber sub-machinegun turret: A pair of sub-machineguns are installed into a small turret, flanking the searchlight. The weapons can be tied to the pilot's head movement through the targeting computer's backup systems. This is an SDC system and cannot inflict mega-damage, but is sometimes useful for dispersing unprotected troops or can be armed with reduced leathality munitions as needed. The small turret was developed from old pre-rifts helicopter designs and the development team is looking for a use for it, but the SDC guns have proven mostly unpopular.
Primary purpose: Anti- infantry
Secondary purpose: Defense
Damage: 1d6 x10 SDC dual shots, 4d6 x10 SDC from dual 5-round bursts.
Rate of fire: Standard, note the SMGs cannot be fired independently of each other.
Range: 600 feet
Payload: The SMGs are each tied to their own independent 200-round drum of ammunition inside the main body.
Hand to hand combat:
Instead of weapons, the Combat walker can engage in mega-damage hand to hand combat.
Kick: 1D4 MDC
Leap kick: 2D6 MDC, but takes two attacks
Charge: 1D6
Other attacks (and parries) are not available, and the robot is not recommended for close-range combat when possible to avoid.

System note: the Chipwell combat walker has limited systems compared to most robots on the market. The robot only has the following features.
-Radar: can track a maximum of 20 targets up to 30 miles
-Targeting computer: assists in tracking and identification of enemy targets, as well as translating incoming fire telemetry to missile targeting. 30 mile range, data is viewed on a dashboard screen along with radar information, minimal HUD functionality provided for the secondary weapons.
-Radio communication: standard
-Spotlight: connected to sub-machinegun turret, unit can be slaved to pilot's head movements.
-Limited life support system: the pilot's internal compartment is sealed and temperature controlled with air purification and filtration re-circulation, as well as a polarized canopy screen. No radiation protection or internal air supply is available, without an outside source that can be purified (warning lights on dashboard in event of this) only 4-6 hours of breathable air can be recirculated. All life support systems fail if canopy suffers more than half damage.
Last edited by Orin J. on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Orin J. wrote:Okay, okay, THIS is the last thing. I scribbled this out while working on some unrelated materials, and figured the design was suitable for Chipwell's product line. Also i decided that the electrostun weapons were a mite overpowered, and downgraded the strength of the stun from the nerual mace stats. that thing's kinda ruthless. you can go and see the corrected stats in their original post i edited.

Chipwell "First-Strike" Combat walker robot

Because of this potential firepower, Chipwell's combat walker has been banned in the Coalition states. This is normally not unusual for weapons manufacturers, but Chipwell has enjoyed their lineup being at most "restricted" to acceptable sellers until now and is honestly shocked at the decision. Chipwell Armaments has been forced to sell/ship their "first strike" Combat walker largely through the black market as a result, which rankles the company to lose a cut of the profits and limits their ability to offer extended support programs. Regardless of support, the Combat walker has seen steady sales in Merctown, and several small kingdoms are making purchases where available (Often through the black market, at high markups that are ironically still much cheaper than most robots- rumors suggest the black market might be seeing more profit off the walkers than Chipwell!)

Chipwell might try experimenting with variants in an effort to find a configuration they CAN sell in CS territory...Start with a mortar carrier with a medium mortar in place of the MRM launcher...carries more crew, slower and less accurate fire, but less expensive and possibly less threatening.
And then there's just selling the basic running chassis as an all-terrain vehicle. Use the missile launcher space for cargo, or a light derrick and winch, or even an articulated grapple crane(since my first thought on reading the description was 'logger 'bot').
Sell a sport utility version, and Chipwell just might salvage the line. Shave MDC protection and cost(maybe cutting back of the armor can increase the speed an extra 10%), and they'll save even more(and maybe gain a 10-20% mark-up on appliqué armor to bring the 'civilian' model up to the same armored protection as the original missile carrier).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, it feels a bit weird to describe anything that fires extremely expensive missiles the most cost-efficient fire support available, but then, rifts earth has always had weird tech gaps, and proper artillery has been on that list for a long time.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

taalismn wrote:Sell a sport utility version, and Chipwell just might salvage the line. Shave MDC protection and cost(maybe cutting back of the armor can increase the speed an extra 10%), and they'll save even more(and maybe gain a 10-20% mark-up on appliqué armor to bring the 'civilian' model up to the same armored protection as the original missile carrier).

while i'm not sure about an SUR (mostly because the low speed is the power is electrical batteries instead of nuclear so the actuators are not the level of performance of other robots) i DID have a couple plans for non-missiley robot walkers. i canned them because i wanted to keep this stuff focused on chipwell's niche, which is supplying the militas of small kingdoms and lower-end security outfits (i guess mercs not up to snuff to tackle the big contracts, really) at a low price point rather than making high end stuff for heroes and big outfits. even if you buy the latest giant robot out of northern gun, you need something to fill out the rank and file!

but i guess i could write up the general stat adjustments for a couple remodels, and just skip the artwork.

Shark_Force wrote:well, it feels a bit weird to describe anything that fires extremely expensive missiles the most cost-efficient fire support available, but then, rifts earth has always had weird tech gaps, and proper artillery has been on that list for a long time.

static emplacements and large artillery pieces are more a risk than asset in the era of high-speed aerial mechanized infantry, unfortunately, and medium range missiles hit a good sweet spot of cost, range, firepower, and transport ability. too bad almost nothing uses them in much. then again, how many groups out there are there able to plan and carry out combat on a scale where artillery assets are a viable plan?
taalismn
Priest

Orin J. wrote:
taalismn wrote:
but i guess i could write up the general stat adjustments for a couple remodels, and just skip the artwork.?

Art-wise, you can do the basic vehicle from a side or front angle...use that as the baseline, and then duplicate and just add in the missile launcher. Let us imagine the other variants.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Orin J. wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:well, it feels a bit weird to describe anything that fires extremely expensive missiles the most cost-efficient fire support available, but then, rifts earth has always had weird tech gaps, and proper artillery has been on that list for a long time.

static emplacements and large artillery pieces are more a risk than asset in the era of high-speed aerial mechanized infantry, unfortunately, and medium range missiles hit a good sweet spot of cost, range, firepower, and transport ability. too bad almost nothing uses them in much. then again, how many groups out there are there able to plan and carry out combat on a scale where artillery assets are a viable plan?

who said anything about static?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-propelled_artillery
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

I view SPGs more around the "large artillery pieces" category. very few RIFTS manufacturers are making single-role units (especially with iron heart arms gone!) because everything needs to be able to defend itself for the costs they're going at. even that walking howitzer northern gun makes spends a lot of weight on defending itself.

(not that i wouldn't make a pile of SPGs for rifts if i got the chance.)
Shark_Force
Palladin

i mean, a couple people with good rifles are about as good as most heavy weapons you might add to a vehicle. and conveniently, you're probably already going to have a couple of people in the vehicle (beyond just the driver), so you just need to give them rifles.

i mean, honestly, it's entirely possible you'll just be able to use the main gun to defend yourself against a lot of threats. being able to shoot really far doesn't inherently require that you can't hit things close to you.
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:i mean, a couple people with good rifles are about as good as most heavy weapons you might add to a vehicle. and conveniently, you're probably already going to have a couple of people in the vehicle (beyond just the driver), so you just need to give them rifles.

i mean, honestly, it's entirely possible you'll just be able to use the main gun to defend yourself against a lot of threats. being able to shoot really far doesn't inherently require that you can't hit things close to you.

And there are dual-mode mortar-howitzers(such as Spain's 80mm Mangonel, France's Brandt LR 60mm, and the 82mm Vasilek automatic mortar made by Russia ) in the modern era. The Free Quebec QBM-7-70M1 High Power Mortar is another good example, being able to fire both ballistically and in a flat direct-fire trajectory mode.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

Orin J. wrote:
taalismn wrote:Sell a sport utility version, and Chipwell just might salvage the line. Shave MDC protection and cost(maybe cutting back of the armor can increase the speed an extra 10%), and they'll save even more(and maybe gain a 10-20% mark-up on appliqué armor to bring the 'civilian' model up to the same armored protection as the original missile carrier).

while i'm not sure about an SUR (mostly because the low speed is the power is electrical batteries instead of nuclear so the actuators are not the level of performance of other robots) i DID have a couple plans for non-missiley robot walkers. i canned them because i wanted to keep this stuff focused on chipwell's niche, which is supplying the militas of small kingdoms and lower-end security outfits (i guess mercs not up to snuff to tackle the big contracts, really) at a low price point rather than making high end stuff for heroes and big outfits. even if you buy the latest giant robot out of northern gun, you need something to fill out the rank and file!

but i guess i could write up the general stat adjustments for a couple remodels, and just skip the artwork.

A couple of variants you might consider are mini-missile launchers with a large supply for reloads. Or maybe a pair of automatic grenade launchers? Fairly cheap, and the space can allow for two paired sets, two over each side of the cockpit with a decent supply.
Or maybe a light cannon with decent ammo supply. Sure, most cannons that don't fire MD rounds don't do lots of damage but can still cause enough bang to knock something off it's feet, and different types of ammunition available, which could make it attractive to beginner monster hunters.
Or maybe a couple of heavier machine guns (a few .50 cals can be nice, and you can load them with ramjet rounds).

Personally, I'd go with a .50 cal paired with automatic grenade launcher with lots of ammo with all the space those missiles would have taken. Maybe even have a space in the lower part to hold dropable grenades or landmines that can be dropped against anyone following the bot's retreat.

Even with it being electric powered, as taalsimn mentioned, a civilian model with lighter armour could improve speed, OR increase its operation time. So a lighter armoured version may not go faster, but you could get an extra 12 hours operation (just a number i pulled out of the air) of operation time. Less weight = less strain on the motors = less power drain.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

...why's everyone harping on about the armor....
*checks stats again*
Ooooohhh, i forgot to change the stats from when i was making it an SDC robot! corrected! it was not meant to be that heavily armored.

anyways, heres some non-military variants.

====
Following a slowdown in the sales of the "First strike" combat walker, Chipwell opted to retool part of their production line to meet non-military applications they felt would meet the interests of their target market. All of these redesigns start by removing the missile launcher and attendant electronics for a storage compartment, reducing the radar to an inexpensive model with a 5 mile range to placate sales restrictions.

The -00 "City Strider" is re-released, and a sister model, the -03 "City Watcher" was produced. The -03 adds a small rear bay that can carry four people (uncomfortably) to serve as prison transport, with an collapsible stairway. (45 MDC, 8 MDC armored door). Intended for law enforcement, both of these come with a small siren and lightbar installed over the canopy as standard and offer a complimentary paint job to emblazon the side panels with the local police branding. the "City Strider" sells for 500,000 credits, and the "City Watcher" for 510,000 credits.

The -04 "Fire Engine" installs a 250-gallon water tank (10 MDC) in the rear and replaces the sub-machineguns with a spray nozzle assembly connected to one of the tank's valves through a hose (3 MDC) for firefighting purposes in areas with limited access or no infrastructure. This version is also interesting to areas with vampire troubles, and is offered with the siren and lightbar as well (400 credits) the "fire engine" sells for 525,000 credits.

Also, a greatly stripped down model the -05 "hauler" transport walker is produced that removes the targeting computer, laser, turret, and the mini-nuclear plant in the interest of appealing to the civilian market, although the added battery drain limits the charge-life to 5 days. This model comes with a pair of fixed-forward headlights and 1-ton rear flatbed as standard, with options for a forward crane arm equipped with a tree-claw and universal hook-lug (20 MDC 60,000 credits) as well as a rear tow winch replacing the flatbed area (15 MDC, 15,000 credits) The stock "Hauler" retails for 220,000 Credits.
====

also, i'd considered some other weapons packages, but ultimately decided against them because i have no idea how widespread RPG production is in RIFTs, and Chipwell doesn't make ammo....
Last edited by Orin J. on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Orin J. wrote:...why's everyone harping on about the armor....
*checks stats again*
Ooooohhh, i forgot to change the stats from when i was making it an SDC robot! corrected! it was not meant to be that heavily armored.

anyways, heres some non-military variants.

Now that's what I'm talking' about!
Those lines are definitely going to put Chipwell in the black next quarter!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Prole
Wanderer

Unread post by Prole »

Chipwell CBW-40

We could maybe get the 'DU' rounds to a Credit each if someone besides Wellington made them for us. They charge as much as the exploding ammo and that stuff doesn't like the liquid propellant.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Prole wrote:Chipwell CBW-40

We could maybe get the 'DU' rounds to a Credit each if someone besides Wellington made them for us. They charge as much as the exploding ammo and that stuff doesn't like the liquid propellant.

Neat! You've certainly put a lot more effort into what i cracked together as a "candy rack" impulse add-on to unwitting minor fiefdoms/ excuse to have MDC-cased shotguns. it's very nice art, too. did you make it yourself or is it a 'shopped photo?

always assumed the high cost of uranium is connected to everyone on the planet fueling 20-foot robots with it, myself.....
Prole
Wanderer

Unread post by Prole »

Shopped photo. It's an American Tactical Polymer M1911 with a M1911 .460 Rowland muzzlebreak attached to it.

That design legit took me 5 hours because it for some reason involved a very large amount of math. I actually have tables of how fast the round is going and how heavy it was, and I set the speed and energy of the round close to the limits of a standard's human's.

I think the ammo could be indeed going faster, since the frame and casings can indeed handle the pressures.

The biggest issue I see is the gun is quite strong, but doesn't have much ammo available that takes advantage of that strength. There are higher end repliguns that hold more rounds for the same or a lower price, such as the J-45 Talon.

The current five or six lines of ammo that the Benefactors are offering for one specific version of Chipwell CBW-40, are all weaker then Ramjets or Explosive Ammo, or decay very quickly...while costing about the same.

Makes me wish there was a line that was an SMG, since then we could have much higher recoil and thus much more effectiveness. I also wish there was better availability of heavy bullets that like liquid propellant.

It would be a lot easier to boost sales by offering a .460 Rowland conversion kit, with a line of comparable ammo, get that .44 Magnum killing power.

If you really wanted to be crazy, you could make a version sized for .50 GI and loaded to .50 AE Desert Eagle levels, call it .500 Rowland
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

your contribution to all this is like watching someone apply an expensive racing kit to a '70s volkswagen rabbit, which i don't mean as an insult it's just amazing to watch.

i had WANTED to make an SMG but for whatever reason i thought the full-on rifle was a better choice from the weapon stats i had available to poach. by the time i thought better of it i didn't have anything else to make alongside it* and didn't feel that just the SMG would be suitable. if you like i could dig up something to reverse engineer into a suitable chipwell model.
Prole
Wanderer

Unread post by Prole »

Orin J. wrote:your contribution to all this is like watching someone apply an expensive racing kit to a '70s volkswagen rabbit, which i don't mean as an insult it's just amazing to watch.

i had WANTED to make an SMG but for whatever reason i thought the full-on rifle was a better choice from the weapon stats i had available to poach. by the time i thought better of it i didn't have anything else to make alongside it* and didn't feel that just the SMG would be suitable. if you like i could dig up something to reverse engineer into a suitable chipwell model.

There isn't a such thing as 5.56 ramjets, most likely due to how light and small the bullets are, less room to cram 'jetfuel'. There is canon 5.56 explosive ammo, and I bet its heavy enough to be 80 grain or heavier... So I guess that works with military 1-7 barrel twists...Hmm

SMG in .45 would have worse standard, ETC, and explosive ammo, but would accept ramjets. SMG could look like UMP-45 maybe?

I'll be releasing ammo and a conversion kit for the rifle, I just had an idea.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Chipwell CBW-SM-45 submachinegun / CIW-720 light ion beam SMG

CBW-SM-45 submachinegun

Acting in response to the unexpected demand for the "Man-stopper" line of conventional firearms, Chipwell worked on "developing" a suitably inexpensive true SMG for marketing to groups needing a weapon with a high rate of fire over range suitable for engaging "soft" targets. As they began development on a convention firearm, an energy weapons team pitched a design and chipwell has decided to offer tentative runs of both to see what the market is most interested in.

Tasking Marty Keys with building them a new design that had good firepower, used an already common ammo caliber, and was as easily produced as possible the Devilman managed to "Design" (read: refit from an old acquisition) the CBW-SM-45. While the design is objectively primitive for modern SMGs, the weapon is reasonably effective, easy to maintain, and because the MDC casing doubles as the frame production is extremely cheap to produce even for Chipwell.

The weapon lacks options including a stock, fire selection or a conventional safety which buyers have complained about, but the rear access cover being unlatched releases the firing pin from alignment as an effective safety. Additionally, The simplified internal components and MDC casing have made the weapon exceedingly durable. Mercenaries sold early runs of the CBW-SM-45 have reported subjecting it to everything from rain, mud and ice to even using it as a makeshift hammer without the weapon requiring more than regular maintenance. The CBW-SM-45 is currently only seeing limited production runs but is selling mostly to smaller fiefdoms and crazies, who like a weapon that only fires full auto and the ability to order cases in custom colors.

Weight: 5 lbs.
Range: 500 ft
Damage: 4D6 SDC per shot
Rate of fire: single shot or in bursts
Payload: .45 caliber rounds, 30 round magazine

Cost: 1200 credits. a box of 100 rounds is 42 credits and separate magazines are 5 credits each.

CIW-720 light ion beam SMG

Late in the Electrostun taser testing, Chipwell's design team found that using a low-capacity Ion beam to deliver the electrical charge allowed them to produce a ranged stun effect. they also found that they could deliberately "misfire" the Ion chamber partially charged to produce a rapid-firing ion pulse, but when they realized the stun charge couldn't be generated fast enough this development was shelved. It was only when demand was realized for an SMG aimed at targeting "Soft" SDC targets that the ion weapons team at Chipwell made a suggestion resulting in the ion SMG as an alternative, the CIW-720.

The low-power Ion system deals respectable damage, doesn't have the risk of a bullet ricocheting into bystanders and is less likely to penetrate through SDC walls which Chipwell plays up in their advertisements to sell the system as an ideal urban defense system. The CIW-720 also uses conventional E-Clips providing it with a huge payload of SDC ion blasts in either single shot or burst settings as well as an MDC setting, which may be the weapon's greatest drawback.

The light ion pulse SMG uses the same "chrome barrel" exposed ion chamber design as Chipwell's other Ion weapons and firing in full MDC damage capacity taxes the power system into a much lower firing rate and causes the Ion chamber to overheat similarly to Chipwell's other Ion weapons (3D6 SDC for 1D4 rounds after firing), with the complication that the chamber is likely mere inches from the face of the person pulling the trigger! On top of this, it's impossible to mount scopes on the weapon due to the Ion chamber taking up most of the SMG's upper surface and the weapon has a price tag in line with being an MDC weapon despite being aimed for soft targets.

Because of these drawbacks the The CIW-720 has seen limited success, but mostly in the personal market to resellers and to smaller mercenary groups looking to streamline their supply needs.

Weight: 5 lbs.
Range: 350 feet
Mega-damage: 2D6 MDC per shot. SDC setting deals 3D6 SDC per shot, or burst setting 1D6 x10 SDC for a five round burst.
Rate of fire: One MDC blast for each melee attack. SDC is capable of single shots or bursts.
Payload: 13 blasts from a standard E-Clip, 23 from a long E-Clip. the SDC setting uses a single blast for 10 shots.

Cost: 8,000 credits

Yeah, after prole's comments i felt like designing an SMG, and it took me so long to settle on which existing weapon to rip off for it (that's a Madsen model 1950 produced for .45ACP, my pals agreed it fit the look bestl) i also kicked together an ion weapon with an SDC setting and decided to just drop them both in here. okay, happy new years NOW i'm totally done with these....
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Very cool like the bot and the smg , i all ways like chipwell .

Return to “Rifts®”