Magebane

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Magebane

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

They can't draw extra PPE from ley lines, nexus, or any other PPE source, but what exactly does that mean? I figure they can't use the PPE from these sources to power their spells and devices, but can they refill their personal PPE tank from them? IF they can, can they over-charge themselves with that PPE?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Magebane

Unread post by The Beast »

Based off of what you wrote, no, they're barred from drawing upon any outside source for PPE. This would prevent them both from refilling and over-charging themselves. Having said that I don't recall what book they're from so I'd appreciate that info to try to better answer the question.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

This of course, is assuming that the extra PPE from ley lines was intended for refilling purposes at all, and not use-on-sight, which is how it worked in BTS, HU2 and PF2 before RUE published some of the stripped data.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

The Beast wrote:Based off of what you wrote, no, they're barred from drawing upon any outside source for PPE. This would prevent them both from refilling and over-charging themselves. Having said that I don't recall what book they're from so I'd appreciate that info to try to better answer the question.

Adventure Sourcebook 5 - Mercenary Adventures, pages 25-28
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

HarleeKnight wrote:They can't draw extra PPE from ley lines, nexus, or any other PPE source, but what exactly does that mean? I figure they can't use the PPE from these sources to power their spells and devices, but can they refill their personal PPE tank from them? IF they can, can they over-charge themselves with that PPE?

My take has always been no, they can't use it at all. If they deplete their internal PPE, then they have to re-charge it internally (rest/meditation/etc).

But that's just my opinion, and an attempt to keep it simple. Your mileage may vary.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

1) be minor psionic
2) borrow "Restore PPE" from Nightbane
3) recharge free ISP every melee at a ley line
4) recharge your PPE
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:1) be minor psionic
2) borrow "Restore PPE" from Nightbane
3) recharge free ISP every melee at a ley line
4) recharge your PPE

Lol... nice work around. I love it. No need to borrow it from Nightbane though. It's in the RUE.
Axelmania
Knight

oh yeah. RUE 166, noice. This plus meditation would be a good pair of healing psi for most magic users, since you usually meditate to get PPE back faster anyway.

Maybe what I'm thinking of that didn't make it over is Restore ISP, although I could've sworn I saw that in Psyscape...
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:oh yeah. RUE 166, noice. This plus meditation would be a good pair of healing psi for most magic users, since you usually meditate to get PPE back faster anyway.

Maybe what I'm thinking of that didn't make it over is Restore ISP, although I could've sworn I saw that in Psyscape...

I looked it up and the only places I could find "Restore PPE" were in Psyscape and the RUE, and the description clearly states it can only be used to transfer the PPE to another person. So, RAW, it won't work like we wanted it to.
Axelmania
Knight

Not sure where you're getting that. The "cost" on RUE 166 says "4 plus the amount of PPE transferred" which is sort of deceptive. The verb "transfer" is definitely not an ideal verb for what the power is described as doing, since PPE is basically CREATED during the process of transferring ISP to the recipient.

Clearly says "convert some of his ISP into PPE energy". Since it says "2 ISP counts as 1 PPE point" the overall "cost" would've been better phrased as something like "4 plus twice the amount of PPE restored".

The name being "restore" kind of implies not allowing to supercharge them past their max, I'd call it just "gift PPE" or something if it could go past the max.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

"transfer that energy to another person" does not typically imply "give it to yourself". there may be some edge cases where that is true, but broadly speaking, no, it isn't.
Axelmania
Knight

Perhaps a Crazy with Multiple Personalities could handle it?

I suppose Magebane with Restore PPE could work in pairs and then fuel each other, if that phrasing's an issue.

I guess I generally asume figure 'Touch' powers/spells that didn't explicitly forbid self-use (such as the disclaimer at the end of Healing Touch, which is absent on "Increased Healing" even though like Restore PPE it says 'another person') could be used that way even if the ability is phrased around the idea of helping others.

"Stop Bleeding" is certainly a lot clearer with "self or other by touch" instead of just "touch", ideally all "touch" spells would be that clear. Like if it was others-only it would say "others by touch".

RUE 170's "Telekinetic Lift" has an interesting "Range: Self or Touch"... could you touch an object to help others lift it?

Return to “Rifts®”