Magic Tattoos

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Magic Tattoos

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

How big do magic tattoos have to be? Is there a minimum size?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Magic Tattoos

Unread post by Mack »

HarleeKnight wrote:How big do magic tattoos have to be? Is there a minimum size?

I don't believe there's any text on the subject, so we're left with the various illustrations to use a guide.

My head-canon is that they're at least 3 to 6 inches, and scale according to how much PPE is required. A simple weapon (2 PPE) would be 3 inches, where Air Powers (Chain around a cloud, 50 PPE) would be 6 inches.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

I ask because the dude on page 87 of Atlantis has them pretty small. He has 3 on his forehead and 3 on his left pec.
So if there is no size restriction, why have them all spread out? You could, conservatively, put 24+ tattoos on one arm (12 on the forearm, 9 on the upper arm, and 3 on the shoulder), with plenty of room to be able to touch them individually. Work them into a nice, non-magical, sleeve tattoo, to better hide them. That would also leave you with the ability to armor up most of your body without the hassle of being unable to reach them.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

HarleeKnight wrote:I ask because the dude on page 87 of Atlantis has them pretty small. He has 3 on his forehead and 3 on his left pec.
So if there is no size restriction, why have them all spread out? You could, conservatively, put 24+ tattoos on one arm (12 on the forearm, 9 on the upper arm, and 3 on the shoulder), with plenty of room to be able to touch them individually. Work them into a nice, non-magical, sleeve tattoo, to better hide them. That would also leave you with the ability to armor up most of your body without the hassle of being unable to reach them.

I don't disagree with you.

At one point I worked on a map of the human body to plan where to put tattoos. Combat tattoos would go on arms, with non-combat ones on the chest / legs. That would allow the character to wear body armor (minus the sleeves).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would personally say that the size of a given tattoo is roughly the size of a Skoal can.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

What about finger-width tattoos like https://juicemakesugar.files.wordpress. ... graves.jpg has "STAY DOWN"?

I would think a great place for a tattoo would be on the palm so that if you're low level and still need to touch them to activate them, you could do it more subtly by just making a fist rather than needing to move your wrist/elbow/shoulder joints.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think the one T archer picture in the splynn market book is probably how I would set mine up if I had these. Most are in an arc across their chest so your right hand can easily touch all of them. I would be somewhat cautious about putting them on an arm just in case something happens to chomp off an arm. If your chest has enough removed that the tattoos are gone you have bigger problems to worry about.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

kaid wrote:I think the one T archer picture in the splynn market book is probably how I would set mine up if I had these. Most are in an arc across their chest so your right hand can easily touch all of them. I would be somewhat cautious about putting them on an arm just in case something happens to chomp off an arm. If your chest has enough removed that the tattoos are gone you have bigger problems to worry about.

I like that idea.
That picture has always made me laugh though... check out the placement of the string and the arrow. Both are on the wrong side.

Return to “Rifts®”