$ in credits to silver-plate melee weapons?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

$ in credits to silver-plate melee weapons?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 188 of Warlords of Russia mentions it costs +100 to plate a knife, I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere else that gives guidelines on how much it might cost to silver other types of melee weapons, or perhaps to buy silver bullets or arrows or bolts?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: $ in credits to silver-plate melee weapons?

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Page 188 of Warlords of Russia mentions it costs +100 to plate a knife, I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere else that gives guidelines on how much it might cost to silver other types of melee weapons, or perhaps to buy silver bullets or arrows or bolts?

The price, canonically, varies depending on where and when you are doing it.
There is no universal flat price.
Thus the price for what it costs in Russia is just that... what it costs in Russia, the price in Mexico is what it costs in Mexico and so on. This is made clear by the notes that tell us that prices are controlled by such things as availability, need, outside issues (like say... vampires killing off anyone who makes silver weapons) and a host of other factors.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think the last vampire book had more information about silvering weapons in it but I don't recall exactly what it said off the top of my head. Honestly though it makes a lot of sense for the price to vary wildly. It really depends how much access to silver you have and some parts of the world its going to be hard to come by and other areas if there is an active silver mine then its a lot easier.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Vampire kingdoms revised has a comprehensive guide to silver plating with notes on how it varies from region to region
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Thanks Nekira, found on page 100, good addition, original VK kinda glossed over silver in favor of wood IMO. The ignoring the PS bonus thing seems to be new... guess it would make vamps tougher and favor faster weaker characters over stronger slower ones.

Silver plating seems a lot more expensive in North America than in Russia, that's for sure, at least 400 for the smallest shank! The cost change appears to be multiplicative rather than additive here.

The basic cost of weapons seems to be more too. WORp187 a small knife is only 15 creds compared to the 40 creds it costs in NA...

RUE262 puts small knives in a range of 15 to 75... huh it has the +100 credits for silver plating your knives as well! Hadn't noticed that until now.

Are we supposed to ignore that with VKR introducing this new x10 thing?

I'm thinking perhaps we could have it both ways: the more expensive x10 could be the minimum 85% content you need to harm vampires, whereas the cheaper +100 might just cover lower-purity silver plating that isn't pure enough to harm vampires but might be pure enough to trigger the multipliers of other creatures like Russian Demons who might be affected by, say, 75% purity?

Does anyone recall if there are different types of credits (maybe some kind of 1:2 exchange rate?) used betwen NA and Asia? I remember that being a thing for Phase World / 3 Galaxies creds but not sure how much of an issue this is on Rifts Earth.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:Thanks Nekira, found on page 100, good addition, original VK kinda glossed over silver in favor of wood IMO. The ignoring the PS bonus thing seems to be new... guess it would make vamps tougher and favor faster weaker characters over stronger slower ones.

Silver plating seems a lot more expensive in North America than in Russia, that's for sure, at least 400 for the smallest shank! The cost change appears to be multiplicative rather than additive here.

The basic cost of weapons seems to be more too. WORp187 a small knife is only 15 creds compared to the 40 creds it costs in NA...

RUE262 puts small knives in a range of 15 to 75... huh it has the +100 credits for silver plating your knives as well! Hadn't noticed that until now.

Are we supposed to ignore that with VKR introducing this new x10 thing?

I'm thinking perhaps we could have it both ways: the more expensive x10 could be the minimum 85% content you need to harm vampires, whereas the cheaper +100 might just cover lower-purity silver plating that isn't pure enough to harm vampires but might be pure enough to trigger the multipliers of other creatures like Russian Demons who might be affected by, say, 75% purity?

Does anyone recall if there are different types of credits (maybe some kind of 1:2 exchange rate?) used betwen NA and Asia? I remember that being a thing for Phase World / 3 Galaxies creds but not sure how much of an issue this is on Rifts Earth.

I wouldn't overthink it or introduce purity mechanics. Just using the prices in Vampire Kingdoms as being,the peices in the Vampire Kingdoms (with an influence on prices up through the rest of Mexico into the border regions on both sides,of the Rio Grande) and not using them as the prices everywhere else would work.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Maybe Vampires/Werewolves target people who deal in silver weaopns and this drives up their price? Trying to think of explanations why there would be a stark difference between Mexican area vs CS area.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:Maybe Vampires/Werewolves target people who deal in silver weaopns and this drives up their price? Trying to think of explanations why there would be a stark difference between Mexican area vs CS area.

I don't have my books to hand at the moment, but I'm quite sure either VK:R or the Vampires sourcebook covers that.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Maybe Vampires/Werewolves target people who deal in silver weaopns and this drives up their price? Trying to think of explanations why there would be a stark difference between Mexican area vs CS area.

Demand is greater in Mexico so cost is greater. Need be no more complex than that.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Demand is greater in Mexico so cost is greater. Need be no more complex than that.

this. if you look at the price difference for silver in general between the mainbook (focused on the domain of man/midwest) and WB1 (southwest and mexico) you find that the value of raw silver itself goes up. (from 1200cr/oz to 2000cr/oz iirc)

mexico and the southwest have a bigger demand for silver because it is needed to make anti-vampire gear, and everyone needs anti-vampire gear down there. so silver is more valuable.

one thing i take away from the prices is that given the price of silvering a weapon, compared to the cost of silver itself, there clearly isn't a lot of silver being used to plate the weapon. less than an ounce per. (for reference, a silver dollar is about 1oz of silver) especially since the cost of plating the item would also include work cost not just the cost of materials
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Also just the fact that silver is basically weaponized often on one use items where you probably are not getting more than a fraction of your bullets back to remelt back down and reuse means its a rare and now expended resource which just makes it get rarer and rarer. In areas where you are fighting more vampires/were critters the cost is going to skyrocket because its going to hard to keep the supply up to meet the demand.

Return to “Rifts®”