What year is it?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

plotulus
D-Bee

What year is it?

Unread post by plotulus »

Howdy. So I am curious what year rifts takes place in the Gregorian Calendar. I always thought it took place 300-309 years after 2098. But then I saw in some timelines that Rifts takes place in the 2380s. So in other words did the Post Apocalyptic Calendar start during the 200 years dark age or is there a zero year after which the P.A. Calendar started?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: What year is it?

Unread post by The Beast »

plotulus wrote:Howdy. So I am curious what year rifts takes place in the Gregorian Calendar. I always thought it took place 300-309 years after 2098. But then I saw in some timelines that Rifts takes place in the 2380s. So in other words did the Post Apocalyptic Calendar start during the 200 years dark age or is there a zero year after which the P.A. Calendar started?

MiO states that 101 PA is 2387 AD in our calendar. The Coming of the Rifts happened on Dec 22nd, 2098 AD. I don't know what the current PA year is, so you'll have to find it and then do the maths to get the Cesarean calendar year.

AFAIK there isn't anything mentioning when the PA calendar started being used. My own personal take on it is that the CS created the calendar in order to better control history (and therefore their subjects) and it just gained widespread use in North America from there. IIRC, places like the NGR and Japan still use the AD calendar, so it's not that crazy of an idea.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

The Beast wrote:
plotulus wrote:Howdy. So I am curious what year rifts takes place in the Gregorian Calendar. I always thought it took place 300-309 years after 2098. But then I saw in some timelines that Rifts takes place in the 2380s. So in other words did the Post Apocalyptic Calendar start during the 200 years dark age or is there a zero year after which the P.A. Calendar started?

MiO states that 101 PA is 2387 AD in our calendar. The Coming of the Rifts happened on Dec 22nd, 2098 AD. I don't know what the current PA year is, so you'll have to find it and then do the maths to get the Cesarean calendar year.

AFAIK there isn't anything mentioning when the PA calendar started being used. My own personal take on it is that the CS created the calendar in order to better control history (and therefore their subjects) and it just gained widespread use in North America from there. IIRC, places like the NGR and Japan still use the AD calendar, so it's not that crazy of an idea.

The CS actually created the PA calendar sometime in the mid-50s PA or so, and then retroactively applied it to the rise of civilization after the Dark Age (so, when Chi-Town/NG/FQ rose as stable powers). Im not sure of the actual year, but it gets mentioned somewhere - i read and re-read sections of the books, and i KNOW i saw that somewhere recently.

As to what year it is now...

If you’re starting at the “RMB” start date - its 103-ish PA. They dont say for sure.

Coalition War Campaign runs this forwards to 105 PA as the release of the new CS Army and start of official hostilities between FQ and the CS and Tolkeen and the CS, though actual troop movements dont start until sometime later.

The actual “war Campaign” runs through 108/early 109 PA, though the FQ front ends before that, IIRC the last 12-18 months of the campaign were just the Siege on Tolkeen (possibly largely because the troops on the FQ front could now be moved to the Tolkeen front, after the original forces comitted got blitzed during the Sorcerors Revenge).

Aftermath sets the date at 109 PA

The Minion War is sometime in 110 PA, and advancing (as more Minion War books come out, possibly, though i dont anticipate the Minion War being a years-long thing, despte Kevin’s inability to realize that it shouldn’t even be a speedbump to the CS).

So you’d have to extrapolate actual dates from the Gregorian dates provided buy MiO or Triax 1.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Thank you, I now remember reading about its creation now as well. Was it in WB11? That feels right for me.

The RMB being in 103 PA can't be right, because of MiO clearly being stated as in 101's timeframe. Also SB1's timeframe is mentioned as 102 PA (page 11 of the original book). Finally Erin Tarn went missing in 101 PA (WB1) and wasn't heard from again until Dec of 103 PA (DB1).

Return to “Rifts®”