Ley Line effects on magic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Ley Line effects on magic

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Lot Six wrote:I'm wondering if ley lines still enhance magic the way they did in the original Rifts book. It stated that range, duration, and damage are doubled when at a ley line and tripled when near a Nexus point. In the Rifts Ultimate Edition all it says is that range and duration of spells are increased by 50% when within two miles of a ley line. Did they scale the effects of ley lines back? If so, why?

We play it the way it was written in the RIFTS Main Book. There is no reason for it to have been scaled back.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

Ajax wrote:I'd say they probably scaled back the effects of ley lines do to all the optinal magic rules and skills in the rifters as well as some of the newer spells that came out after the RMB was published. Assuming people are using atleast some of the optional rules out of the rifters, if you left the x2 on leylines and x3 on nexus points it could make mages very insane very quickly.

Could you imagine a mage using the magic skills our of rifter 20somethings that allows him to double his spell damage on a nexus point casting Meteor? Anywhere from 4d6x10+(8x lvl of caster) to 6d6x10+(12x lvl of caster) (depending on how your GM rules the multiplication issue) to an area 240 feet in diameter where everyone in the area of effect takes full damage with a range of 600ft per level. With the only save possible is a dodge if the victims see it coming (and can some how dodge out of the area of effect in time). All for about 100ppe which a mid-level caster could pull directly from the Nexus point under the old rules if I remember correctly (under the Rue you can draw alot less PPE of a leyline or nexus point per round). That's better then most of the long range missiles (cept for range, but who really shoots at someone 400-1800 miles away on rifts earth?)

Or even worse, Sorcerous Fury? Hi, I have 150MDC per LVL, and I can shoot lightning bolts that do 6d4x10 MDC with a 600ft per LVL range. And I bio-regenerate 3d4x10 MDC per melee round. YEA!!!!!! and I didn't even do this one with the double damage skill.... weeeee! Fun times.

Meteor = 10th level spell, suggested retail price 500k-1million credits.
Sorcerous Fury = 8th level spell, suggested retail price 120k credits.

While expensive neither spell is out of line for a mid level Ley Line Walker to have.

Thats what make leylines and nexus points so valuable.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The new ley line rules are somewhat OK with me, but so many times the old ley line rules are used in descriptions of T.W. vehicles, items, spells, classes and races. Double range & duration would making keeping track of a spell a lot easier, but triple is way overpowered. Dealing with ley lines in combat can get little confusing with so many things boosted. At least its not increased by 33% now that would take some time to figure out.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I was miffed to see this ommited from RUE, but as GK says, no reason to assume that the rule's changed.

In fact, Arzno (a post RUE book, which is excellent) states that as a ley-line/nexus hotspot, the Grand Canyon has the usual (RMB) effect on magic and spellcasting - I'm away from books (they're located near my month old child who I daren't wake) so can't give you the precise quote.

That's enough for me to continue with the old ways.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Check out the offical Rifts Ultimate Errata

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... Eratta.pdf

It has the rules in it as well as other fixed problems.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

hm.. I didn't notice that the rule wasn't transferred. The only comment noted thus far is for when one is at a distance from ley lines though. i'd say that I see no reason for the old rules to be removed. It's said that new rules replace old ones, but since the old ones aren't mentioned, I'd say they still stand.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Ajax wrote:I'd say they probably scaled back the effects of ley lines do to all the optinal magic rules and skills in the rifters as well as some of the newer spells that came out after the RMB was published. Assuming people are using atleast some of the optional rules out of the rifters, if you left the x2 on leylines and x3 on nexus points it could make mages very insane very quickly.

Could you imagine a mage using the magic skills our of rifter 20somethings that allows him to double his spell damage on a nexus point casting Meteor? Anywhere from 4d6x10+(8x lvl of caster) to 6d6x10+(12x lvl of caster) (depending on how your GM rules the multiplication issue) to an area 240 feet in diameter where everyone in the area of effect takes full damage with a range of 600ft per level. With the only save possible is a dodge if the victims see it coming (and can some how dodge out of the area of effect in time). All for about 100ppe which a mid-level caster could pull directly from the Nexus point under the old rules if I remember correctly (under the Rue you can draw alot less PPE of a leyline or nexus point per round). That's better then most of the long range missiles (cept for range, but who really shoots at someone 400-1800 miles away on rifts earth?)

Or even worse, Sorcerous Fury? Hi, I have 150MDC per LVL, and I can shoot lightning bolts that do 6d4x10 MDC with a 600ft per LVL range. And I bio-regenerate 3d4x10 MDC per melee round. YEA!!!!!! and I didn't even do this one with the double damage skill.... weeeee! Fun times.

Meteor = 10th level spell, suggested retail price 500k-1million credits.
Sorcerous Fury = 8th level spell, suggested retail price 120k credits.

While expensive neither spell is out of line for a mid level Ley Line Walker to have.

Thats what make leylines and nexus points so valuable.

I agree, the fact that a mage is more powerful on a ley line or a nexus is logical to me. It should be dangerous to fight a person on thier home turf.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Crazy Lou
Hero

I neglected to address the above before, but i'd also agree with that statement. That's one reason why cities are often concerned if lines are running through or very near the city.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

The Galactus Kid

DriftingKenshi wrote:Since this was the only thread that came up the most on a ley line search maybe you guys can help me. I'm a Rifts newbie so go easy on me but where are all the ley lines?? Is there a decent map of them? I'm trying to understand more about them in case i have a player play a walker or rifter. I gather from the Ultimate guide there arent many of them around or do they only list a major few? From my first impression there doesnt seem to be very many and they dont appear to go great distances so is there any major benefit of TW air ships and gliders? How do you guys use lines in your games?

Some of the best maps of ley lines are in England and Vampire Kingdoms. The others really just give maps with "High Magic Areas" so then you can just make it up. I hope that at some point a Rifts Atlas is done which would clear this up. Somewhere, there is an online rifts atlas being compiled by one of the fans on the board.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

But the thing is, all the published maps only cover the major known ones. Fact is there are litterally thousands over every continent that are on no map and in some cases are only a few miles long.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Crazy Lou
Hero

The long and short of it is that there are ley lines where you want them to be as GM, plus the major ones that are noted in the books and the major &/or significant nexuses (like on Vampire Intelligences' pyramids, minor one near Kingsdale, the Calgary Supernexus, etc). TW airships can be very useful if you let them be, espeicially in "high magic" (read as lots of powerful, large ley lines and nexuses) areas. Or they can be useless, depending on where you want to do (also you could have TW assisted airships that cost no energy or get big bonuses on Ley Lines, but still function off the lines as well).

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Warning: Topic locked because this thread died over a decade ago. Please read, and adhere to, the forum rules. ~Mack

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Check out the offical Rifts Ultimate Errata

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... Eratta.pdf

It has the rules in it as well as other fixed problems.

Updated URL: https://www.palladium-megaverse.com/ima ... Eratta.pdf

Page 12/19 of this PDF adds in red text:
    Increase the range and duration of a spell by 50% when on or within 2 miles/3.2 km of a ley line.

This restores some initial semblance of RMB 163, the first tier of range/duration benefits anyway.

Doesn't seem like errata restored the 100% increase (x2) to range/duration for being ON a line (or 1 mile from nexus)...

Or 200% increase (x3) to range/duration for being within 200 feet of a nexus.

Or the 900% increase (x10) to range/duration during a Partial Solar Eclipse.

These 3 missing tiers also increased damage by these amounts too. Have they not been affirmed?

sHaka has an interesting point about Arzno, was published in 2006 the year after RUE, but the writeup for the Grand Canyon on page 12 actually just sounds like the canyon is effectively a giant ley line (despite it being in some places 18 miles wide while ley lines are usually 1/2 to 1 mile wide)

It even has "Mages may also draw an additional 10 P.P.E. per level of experience every twelve hours" from RMB, which was replaced by the 10/melee in RUE. Seems like Arzno, despite it's later publication date, was written from RMB and not RUE, and was probably not updated to be compatible with it.

Return to “Rifts®”