Super-Soldier "Mutant" for New West setting

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EltonRobb
Wanderer

Super-Soldier "Mutant" for New West setting

Unread post by EltonRobb »

I wonder, how many people remember Shane Gooseman character from the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers T.V. show? I was thinking of creating a Super Soldier race based off the T.V. show (and him). Shane explained that he was genetically engineered by technology in one of the shows. Yes, I've been rewatching them to get story ideas (like "Chained"). I don't think of them as a R.C.C. or D-Bee. I also know that the Lawman O.C.C. (just a MARS Gunslinger with a few changes in Savage Rifts) is the closest to the Galaxy Ranger.

I wanted to know what you think.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Super-Soldier "Mutant" for New West setting

Unread post by taalismn »

Depends; is the character native to Rifts Earth? Then he could be one of Desmond Bradford's illicit human experiments(Human, or an animal with damned-near human looks). in which case he could be a Lawman OCC)picked it up after his escape_, or if sanctioned by the Coalition States, he could have received training as one of the CS's military police or FBI-equivalents.

If a d-bee, your options are blown wide open...A Heroes Unlimited character could have superpowers and skill paths in law enforcement. A character from the Three Galaxies might be of a Bounty Hunter or TVIA OCC.

The pseudo-canon Manhunter Universe sourcebook has a gene-modified superpowered Zone Boy/ZED operative OCC who's pretty much a galactic Texas Ranger.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
EltonRobb
Wanderer

Ah, thank you very much. :)
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I hadn't heard of that show. I bet a number of people use it and Bravestarr as influence for New West Rifts games. I checked a couple of wikis and skimmed 3 episodes. Shane's got fast healing and environmental adaptation, some amount of energy absorption, and is a weapons expert. That could be done in Savage Rifts as a Super Soldier out of the free conversion guide, which is seen as a sort of MARS. In a Rifts game one could model it as a Super Soldier out of Powers Unlimited 2, or a Super Spy from Rifts Mercenaries with tweaked skills.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

EltonRobb wrote:I wonder, how many people remember Shane Gooseman character from the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers T.V. show? I was thinking of creating a Super Soldier race based off the T.V. show (and him). Shane explained that he was genetically engineered by technology in one of the shows. Yes, I've been rewatching them to get story ideas (like "Chained"). I don't think of them as a R.C.C. or D-Bee. I also know that the Lawman O.C.C. (just a MARS Gunslinger with a few changes in Savage Rifts) is the closest to the Galaxy Ranger.

I wanted to know what you think.

I remember the show, and still watch it on DVD about once a year or so. This is getting close to being a potential conversion issue, which is something Palladium does not allow on its forums. (I am not familiar either with Savage Rifts line, so I will focus on the PB version).

An RCC is most apt classification I think, given other genetically engineered creations and/or mutants are also considered RCCs in Rifts (see South America 1&2 for examples). They would only be considered D-Bee if they (or via lineage) arrive (or are thought to) from somewhere else other than Rifts-Earth.

Gooseman (if we ignore the RCC thing) might actually qualify as having multi-classed, it really depends on how much the initial Super Trooper Program that created and trained him versus what his role is in the Rangers. So, he might qualify as a military OCC that multi-classed into a "law enforcement" class, though the Ranger organization while it includes Law Enforcement duties also encompasses military roles so might include additional roles (Niko is an archeologist, and Doc is a computer technician).

As for his powerset that is likely best handled by using Super Powers (specifics I think would get awfully close to the no no on conversions). And if using this as broad template to include the other Super Troopers since his powerset, while not unique among them, shows that they had a level of diversity. Complicating things a bit would be his reliance on the Series 5 Implant to access his Bio-Defenses, something the others don't need (thank you Warner).

taalismn wrote:Depends; is the character native to Rifts Earth? Then he could be one of Desmond Bradford's illicit human experiments(Human, or an animal with damned-near human looks). in which case he could be a Lawman OCC)picked it up after his escape_, or if sanctioned by the Coalition States, he could have received training as one of the CS's military police or FBI-equivalents.

I don't think the CS would do this, and might be outside of even Bradford's abilities to pull off. Gene Splicers (SB3) certainly could, and the Splugorth might also via Bio-Wizardry. Other GE producers on Rifts Earth might be more apt than Bradford, but I don't recall off hand how much, or the scope of, if Tritonia or the two relevant South American States engage in "new" designs (or even human looking).

I don't think this is in the scope of Bradford's abilities because of how what his bio-defenses (term used for his powers) are shown capable of doing go beyond just psychic abilities. His powerset resulted in him being (mis)identified as a "metamorph" (shapeshifter). There is also the "safeguard" control instigated by the ST program that required the ST to take a "genetic enabling factor" to utilize their abilities normally (as a GR Goose has a Series 5 implant that does the same job), but the GEF had side effects (Goose did not like taking it as he noted "what it does to the others", and was given permission to not take it to act as a "control", his later implant did not have the side effects) that were being ignored or went unnoticed. Said safeguards appeared to be neutralized by an (unauthorized) accelerant that Senator Warner introduced to their population (missing goose by pure luck) because the program wasn't producing results fast enough (resulting in those exposed being either put into stasis to contain them or gone rogue). The formula(s) that allowed the creation of the ST is also desired and considered a hot commodity if you can get a hold of it (apparently it was also unique to humans in terms of creation).
EltonRobb
Wanderer

ShadowLogan wrote:I remember the show, and still watch it on DVD about once a year or so. This is getting close to being a potential conversion issue, which is something Palladium does not allow on its forums. (I am not familiar either with Savage Rifts line, so I will focus on the PB version).

Don't think of it as a conversion. Just an imagining.

An RCC is most apt classification I think, given other genetically engineered creations and/or mutants are also considered RCCs in Rifts (see South America 1&2 for examples). They would only be considered D-Bee if they (or via lineage) arrive (or are thought to) from somewhere else other than Rifts-Earth.

Gooseman (if we ignore the RCC thing) might actually qualify as having multi-classed, it really depends on how much the initial Super Trooper Program that created and trained him versus what his role is in the Rangers. So, he might qualify as a military OCC that multi-classed into a "law enforcement" class, though the Ranger organization while it includes Law Enforcement duties also encompasses military roles so might include additional roles (Niko is an archeologist, and Doc is a computer technician).

As for his powerset that is likely best handled by using Super Powers (specifics I think would get awfully close to the no no on conversions). And if using this as broad template to include the other Super Troopers since his powerset, while not unique among them, shows that they had a level of diversity. Complicating things a bit would be his reliance on the Series 5 Implant to access his Bio-Defenses, something the others don't need (thank you Warner).

Nod. I'll think about this once I recreate his "race" using Savage Worlds.

Return to “Rifts®”