Rifts Automated Character Sheet (RACS) - Questions & Answers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

swest
D-Bee

Re: Rifts Automated Character Sheet (RACS) - Questions & Ans

Unread post by swest »

By the way, I'm also wondering where one puts normal M.D.C. Body Armor (e.g., the Crusader armor found on page 267 of RUE).

The Cybernetics & Bionics page doesn't seem to be appropriate, as there are no augmentations, or other 'extras' to go with it... just M.D.C. damage.

And, if one looks at the Equipment page, while there is an Armor section, it only has a single field for M.D.C., instead of splitting out by body part.

So... ?

Thanks,

- s.west

p.s. I'm learning so much about Excel that I didn't know!! So, I went ahead and gave names to the start:end cells in the M.D.C. table on the Data page. So now that's working and will survive being moved or displaced by future mods.
Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

swest wrote:By the way, I'm also wondering where one puts normal M.D.C. Body Armor (e.g., the Crusader armor found on page 267 of RUE).

The Cybernetics & Bionics page doesn't seem to be appropriate, as there are no augmentations, or other 'extras' to go with it... just M.D.C. damage.

And, if one looks at the Equipment page, while there is an Armor section, it only has a single field for M.D.C., instead of splitting out by body part.

So... ?

Thanks,

- s.west

p.s. I'm learning so much about Excel that I didn't know!! So, I went ahead and gave names to the start:end cells in the M.D.C. table on the Data page. So now that's working and will survive being moved or displaced by future mods.

M.D.C. armor, vehicles and weapons go under the Equipment Sheet. Unfortunately you'll have to write everything in manually. You can add more rows or columns by Unprotecting the sheet and inserting them.

Yes the your Cyber-Armor data can safely be stored on the Data Sheet. Leaving stuff there won't matter as the file is a Template, so you'll have to copy or re-write all the data into the new version of the Template to update things.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Ok, new question: I see on the "COMBAT SKILL (MELEE)" table that there is a box to provide a bonus to Strike.

I see no such box in the "COMBAT SKILLS (RANGED)" table even though, for instance, the longbow specifies a "+1 to strike at levels 1,2,4,..."

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

swest wrote:Ok, new question: I see on the "COMBAT SKILL (MELEE)" table that there is a box to provide a bonus to Strike.

I see no such box in the "COMBAT SKILLS (RANGED)" table even though, for instance, the longbow specifies a "+1 to strike at levels 1,2,4,..."

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

- s.west

Ranged weapons use Aim, Burst and Called Shots instead of strike for the attack bonus.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Thanks for responding.

What do we do with the example I provided? i.e. the Longbow's Bonus to Strike? (see W.P. Archery, page 326 of the Ultimate Edition):

W.P. Archery. An expertise with bow weapons of all kinds. The
character can use all manner of bows and arrows, including short bows,
long bows, all types of modem compound bows, harpoon guns and
crossbow pistols, and repeating, light and heavy crossbows. Bonuses:
+1 to strike at levels 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14.
+1 to parry with a bow
weapon (effective at level one), and +1 to disarm at levels 2, 5, 10 and
15. Rate of Fire: Two shots per melee round at level one and an extra
shot per melee round is added at levels 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 14. Range:
See list below, and a trained archer may try a shot at 50% greater dis­-
tance but does so without benefit of any bonus to strike or disarm.
Note: The character loses all bonuses and reduce the rate of fire by half
when running and shooting, flying, riding on horseback or when shoot­
ing from a moving vehicle or while otherwise unbalanced.
Average Ranges & S.D.C. Damage per Arrow:
Short Bow - 340 feet (104 m) - 1D6 damage.
Long Bow - 640 feet (195 m) - 206 damage.
Compound Bow - 700 feet (213 m) - 206+ 1 damage.
Harpoon Gun - 120 feet (36.5 m) - 1D10 damage.
Light Crossbow - 340 feet (104 m) - 204 damage.
Heavy Crossbow (large) - 600 feet (182 m) - 208 damage.
Pistol Crossbow (small) - 120 feet (36.5 m) - 1D6 damage.

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

Ok, so pick W.P. Archery from the dropdown menu under COMBAT SKILLS (MELEE) and it will populate a 2 Attack, 1 Parry, so you know that you can use the longbow to parry attacks. Now pick W.P. Archery in the COMAT SKILLS (RANGED) will reveal a 2 Attack and a 1 Aim. This means that you can fire 2 arrows per round, if you have 4 attacks, 2 of them can be arrows, the other two are assumed to be reloading/drawing the arrow (so the Archery Rate of Fire). If you want to dodge or perform another action, you can only do one bow attack, but then have 2 actions to do something else, like dodge. As you level up the appropriate bonuses and rate of fire (Attacks) will be added. Note that that attacks for both melee and ranged are the same for easy reference.

swest wrote:Thanks for responding.

What do we do with the example I provided? i.e. the Longbow's Bonus to Strike? (see W.P. Archery, page 326 of the Ultimate Edition):

W.P. Archery. An expertise with bow weapons of all kinds. The
character can use all manner of bows and arrows, including short bows,
long bows, all types of modem compound bows, harpoon guns and
crossbow pistols, and repeating, light and heavy crossbows. Bonuses:
+1 to strike at levels 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14.
+1 to parry with a bow
weapon (effective at level one), and +1 to disarm at levels 2, 5, 10 and
15. Rate of Fire: Two shots per melee round at level one and an extra
shot per melee round is added at levels 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 14. Range:
See list below, and a trained archer may try a shot at 50% greater dis­-
tance but does so without benefit of any bonus to strike or disarm.
Note: The character loses all bonuses and reduce the rate of fire by half
when running and shooting, flying, riding on horseback or when shoot­
ing from a moving vehicle or while otherwise unbalanced.
Average Ranges & S.D.C. Damage per Arrow:
Short Bow - 340 feet (104 m) - 1D6 damage.
Long Bow - 640 feet (195 m) - 206 damage.
Compound Bow - 700 feet (213 m) - 206+ 1 damage.
Harpoon Gun - 120 feet (36.5 m) - 1D10 damage.
Light Crossbow - 340 feet (104 m) - 204 damage.
Heavy Crossbow (large) - 600 feet (182 m) - 208 damage.
Pistol Crossbow (small) - 120 feet (36.5 m) - 1D6 damage.

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Sorry, but I don't understand how what you wrote in response answers the question about the bonus to strike. In fact, the word 'strike' doesn't appear in your answer at all...

Also, I forgot to highlight the portion about shooting at 50% past the range limit as being done "without benefit of any bonus to strike".

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just don't get it.

- s.west
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Ranged weapons use Aim, Burst and Called Shots instead of strike for the attack bonus.

Greetings and Salutations. As pointed out, Archery has bonuses to strike. Also, with the RUE rules, Modern Weapons do have a bonus to strike. I'm at lunch at work, so I can fact check more when I get home, but I don't believe the W.P. bonuses in RUE are tied to Aimed, Burst, and Called Shots so much as they are general bonuses.

Also, as of RUE, Aimed (which grants a separate+2 strike bonus) and Called Shots each require two actions to use. And not all weapons can burst. So let's use a Revolver or a Bolt Action Rifle. They cannot burst. Making an Aimed or Called Shot will take 2 actions. So can they simply not be fired in a single action? Straight rolls only (which would make firing a burst far more accurate)?

Weapons (or weapon mods) that provide a bonus to strike (such as Wilks lasers that are based on balance, if I recall), are those also useless for single action shots?

Note: This isn't meant as an attack. The old Rifts rules definitely had bonuses tied to Aimed Shots and Bursts. I just don't think that's the current rule set, and I want to provide information and some examples for how using the old system with the new rules will cause problems. I'm not trying to be a pest.

Thank you for your time. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Greg Diaczyk

swest wrote:Sorry, but I don't understand how what you wrote in response answers the question about the bonus to strike. In fact, the word 'strike' doesn't appear in your answer at all...

Also, I forgot to highlight the portion about shooting at 50% past the range limit as being done "without benefit of any bonus to strike".

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just don't get it.

- s.west

As Prysus said RUE doesn't use the term strike for ranged weapons, most guns use Aim, Burst and Called. There's a normal aimed shot which is simply point and shoot, bonuses apply and a carefully aimed shot (usually referred to as the Aimed Shot) which takes up 2 attacks, but you get a +2 to the shot, then there is also an Aimed Called Shot which takes up 3 attacks, but lets you target a specific location and provides bonuses to offset the huge penalty for the shot. All the penalties, conditions, extra attack costs can be cheat sheeted by hovering over the red triangle in their respective cells to get a run down on how all that works in the Rifts Automated Character Sheet.

Archery is kind of "old school" in that it has a Rate of Fire and Strike bonus, but it is essentially the same as Attacks per melee and a Normal Aimed Shot, except the Rate of Fire is how many arrows you can fire each melee round if you are just standing there shooting arrows. Throw in other actions like a Dodge and you now start losing arrow shots to use your actions for other stuff. The extra info about shooting 50% more, but with out bonuses applies if you are trying to use the weapon in a way it was not intended to (so aiming really high so the parabolic arc carries it further so you can hit something further), this is a special case and can be done, but you don't get any bonuses on the shot.

Does that help?
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:
As Prysus said RUE doesn't use the term strike for ranged weapons

Is that what Prysus said? I must be going senile.

I'm going to have to let this go, because I'm just not getting it... Thanks for trying.

- s.west
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

swest wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:

I'm going to have to let this go, because I'm just not getting it... Thanks for trying.

- s.west

Greetings and Salutations. You're not going senile. As Prysus, I will state with great confidence that I did NOT make the claim that RUE doesn't use the term strike for Ranged Weapons. In fact, my claim was quite the opposite, in that RUE specifically does use the term, consistently, for Ranged Weapons. The statement associated with my name is provably false, as anyone with the book and literate can see the term "strike" used throughout the Ranged section. ALL bonuses in the W.P. Modern Weapon are listed as "strike" (not listed as "aimed" or any variation), as well as the bonuses and penalties on page 360-361 are specifically listed as "strike" (and that includes the "Aimed Shot Bonus" which grants a STRIKE bonus).

However, I am home now with access to my books a well as the RAC, and I think I know how to answer your question. I believe it's that the Combat Skills (Ranged) section on the RAC doesn't have a "Strike" bonus area. If I understand everything correctly, the term "Strike" was substituted for "Aim" on the RAC. I tested this with Archery and a few others, and the bonuses seemed to add up. Just keep in mind that this is NOT the same as "Aim" in RUE. So, if using RUE with the RAC, then on the RAC "Aim" = "Strike" and you can still add "Aim" using the RUE version. Does that make sense and solve your issue? Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Prysus wrote:Does that make sense and solve your issue? Farewell and safe journeys.

Quite possibly. I had done some testing before, but I wasn't looking at it from the point of view you laid out. I will re-examine my results.

Thanks!!

- s.west
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:
No, its a free update for those who have already purchased it once.

Did you get in on DriveThru or here on the Palladium Store?

Palladium Store

You should be able to download the most updated version from the link you used to download it in the first place. If you do not have access to that link anymore or lost it you'll need to contact Wayne at Palladium Books.

It keeps downloading 001 over and over.

You need to reach out to Wayne at Palladium Books to get a new link.

Apparently he doesnt check email.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Prysus wrote:
swest wrote:
Greg Diaczyk wrote:

- s.west

Greetings and Salutations. You're not going senile. As Prysus, I will state with great confidence that I did NOT make the claim that RUE doesn't use the term strike for Ranged Weapons. In fact, my claim was quite the opposite, in that RUE specifically does use the term, consistently, for Ranged Weapons. The statement associated with my name is provably false, as anyone with the book and literate can see the term "strike" used throughout the Ranged section. ALL bonuses in the W.P. Modern Weapon are listed as "strike" (not listed as "aimed" or any variation), as well as the bonuses and penalties on page 360-361 are specifically listed as "strike" (and that includes the "Aimed Shot Bonus" which grants a STRIKE bonus).

However, I am home now with access to my books a well as the RAC, and I think I know how to answer your question. I believe it's that the Combat Skills (Ranged) section on the RAC doesn't have a "Strike" bonus area. If I understand everything correctly, the term "Strike" was substituted for "Aim" on the RAC. I tested this with Archery and a few others, and the bonuses seemed to add up. Just keep in mind that this is NOT the same as "Aim" in RUE. So, if using RUE with the RAC, then on the RAC "Aim" = "Strike" and you can still add "Aim" using the RUE version. Does that make sense and solve your issue? Farewell and safe journeys.

So, it would seem that a Strike column for Ranged Weapons would be in order, yes?

Prysus, as you say, it appears that the Aim column correctly reflects the Strike bonus, however it also seems clear that, at least as of RUE, a Strike Bonus is specified for Ranged Weapons.

Right?

As you might imagine, this whole discussion surrounding the Strike bonus is the source of my confusion. As I mentioned up front, I am new to Rifts, so I am starting with RUE. I don't know what the previous rules book (from '91 ?) specified.

Thanks for your follow-up.

- s.west
hup7
Wanderer

Unread post by hup7 »

It might be worth noting there has ALWAYS been a strike bonus to modern weapons.
"Training also enables the character to easily reload, disassemble, unjam, clean and otherwise maintain the weapon. Recognizes weapon quality — 30% at level one and + 6% per each additional level of experience. Add a bonus of + 1 to strike for every THREE levels of experience beyond level one." (RMB p33)

"W.P. Bonuses: +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14." (RUE p328) Note each weapon group gets its own bonuses.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

First, thank you for building it (or getting them to let you publish it). Been waiting like, years. :)

Does additional data entry mean replacing items in the existing data sheet, or can the references be expanded upon in the main sheet.

[I admit excel melts my brain like it's a natural ability]

Thanks.
hup7
Wanderer

Unread post by hup7 »

Daikuma:

It is pretty easy to add items to the datasheet without the sheet breaking down. Just be sure to "add" rows / columns as need rather than just typing below the last items.
Greg Diaczyk

Daikuma wrote:First, thank you for building it (or getting them to let you publish it). Been waiting like, years. :)

Does additional data entry mean replacing items in the existing data sheet, or can the references be expanded upon in the main sheet.

[I admit excel melts my brain like it's a natural ability]

Thanks.

Pretty much what hup7 said:
It is pretty easy to add items to the datasheet without the sheet breaking down. Just be sure to "add" rows / columns as need rather than just typing below the last items.

But remember there are other cells with data to the right (or left), so when you insert a cell make sure there is nothing getting knocked out of whack. Skills are the easiest, just highlight a row of cells from the start of the skills to the end and then insert cells down to make a slot for a new skill.

Hope that helps.

Maybe I should do a video on it?
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Greg Diaczyk

swest/Prysus

The 005 Update is now live and I have revised the Ranged Combat, W.P. Sharpshooting and Sniper (the +2 was not showing up) to be in line with our conversation above detailing how a Ranged Strike, Aimed Shot, Called Shot and Aimed Called Shot work in Rifts better.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Hey folks,

The Rifts Automated Character sheet is now up on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/36 ... et?src=sub

And the instructional Videos are starting to roll out on the Palladium Books Inc. YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUWjzM ... tdqdAuQ5kQ

This thread is for anyone who has questions about the Rifts Automated Character Sheet, how to use it, what's part of it, troubleshooting issues, etc. Feel free to post away and I'll do my best to answer it.

If you have constructive criticism on the Rifts Automated Character sheet they will be taken note of, but an update is not likely for a bit. All Trolls and complainers will be remove from the thread.

I do not use Excel so this is a no go for me but from what I have seen of this program it seems to be a very well put together system I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Thank you for your hard work.
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. There's a question about Save vs. Horror Factor being linked to the M.E. attribute (in relation to this sheet) over in the Palladium Q.A. section of the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=180399

Figured to drop a note here in case it would otherwise be missed. Farewell and safe journeys.

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greetings Greg,

As a matter of curiosity only (I came across this while trying to add some custom calculations), I am wondering where some of the bonuses (from skills) are stored in the workbook?

I'll limit my question to one skill in particular: Physical Labor. Where are the bonuses kept for Physical Labor? Specifically: +2 to P.S., +1 to P.E. and +2D8 to S.D.C.

I see that the bonuses are added to the Physical Skills table when you add the Skill to the Skill List, I just don't know where those numbers come from.

Thanks!

- s.west
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Also, regarding Skills, I'm wondering what source(s) were consulted for the complete list? I think I made the, apparently unwarranted, assumption that references would be limited to RUE, but maybe not.

The specific Skill that has led me to ask this question is, "Pilot: Small Spacecraft" (along with other space-based vessels), although I'm wondering about the general answer to the question posed above.

Thanks,

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

Hey s.west

here's the answer to your questions:

Greetings Greg,

As a matter of curiosity only (I came across this while trying to add some custom calculations), I am wondering where some of the bonuses (from skills) are stored in the workbook?

I'll limit my question to one skill in particular: Physical Labor. Where are the bonuses kept for Physical Labor? Specifically: +2 to P.S., +1 to P.E. and +2D8 to S.D.C.

I see that the bonuses are added to the Physical Skills table when you add the Skill to the Skill List, I just don't know where those numbers come from.

Thanks!

- s.west

All the bonuses and data are stored on the Data Sheet. For the Physical Labor skill you can find them at Cell "BN15"

Also, regarding Skills, I'm wondering what source(s) were consulted for the complete list? I think I made the, apparently unwarranted, assumption that references would be limited to RUE, but maybe not.

The specific Skill that has led me to ask this question is, "Pilot: Small Spacecraft" (along with other space-based vessels), although I'm wondering about the general answer to the question posed above.

Thanks,

- s.west

The sources for the RUE are as follows:
Rifts Ultimate Edition
Rifts World Book 5: NGR
Rifts World Book 7: Underseas
Rifts World Book 8: Rifts Japan
Rifts World Book 10: Juicer Uprising
Rifts World Book 14: New West
Rifts World Book 19: Australia
Rifts World Book 21: Rifts Canada
Rifts World Book 25: China: Heroes of the Celestial Court
Rifts World Book 32: Lemuria
Rifts Dimension Book 2: Phase World (your space skills)
Rifts: Mutants in Orbit (also more space skills)

There might be more, but those were the big ones. Also Rifts World Book 12: Psyscape, Rifts World Book 18: Mystic Russia is were I got some of the psionics and necromancy stuff as well as the Rifts Book of Magic for some of the more common forms of magic (Elemental/Warlock for example).
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Hey s.west
here's the answer to your questions:
Greetings Greg,

All the bonuses and data are stored on the Data Sheet. For the Physical Labor skill you can find them at Cell "BN15"

Yep, I just now figured out how you did it. I was looking for numbers instead of formulae (like the ones you have in the Physical Skills table at BN-CD). Thanks!

Greg Diaczyk wrote:
Also, regarding Skills, I'm wondering what source(s) were consulted for the complete list?

The sources for the RUE are as follows:
Rifts Ultimate Edition
Rifts World Book 5: NGR
Rifts World Book 7: Underseas
Rifts World Book 8: Rifts Japan
Rifts World Book 10: Juicer Uprising
Rifts World Book 14: New West
Rifts World Book 19: Australia
Rifts World Book 21: Rifts Canada
Rifts World Book 25: China: Heroes of the Celestial Court
Rifts World Book 32: Lemuria
Rifts Dimension Book 2: Phase World (your space skills)
Rifts: Mutants in Orbit (also more space skills)

There might be more, but those were the big ones. Also Rifts World Book 12: Psyscape, Rifts World Book 18: Mystic Russia is were I got some of the psionics and necromancy stuff as well as the Rifts Book of Magic for some of the more common forms of magic (Elemental/Warlock for example).

Regarding this answer, I want to be sure I understand what you're saying. When you say, "The sources for the RUE are as follows:", are you saying that those references specifically call out RUE?
Also, did you start this project (RACS) from within RUE and then branch out from there to resolve questions raised from within RUE? In other words, if RUE is not self-contained (which I thought it was) how would you know where to go?

Thanks!!

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

Regarding this answer, I want to be sure I understand what you're saying. When you say, "The sources for the RUE are as follows:", are you saying that those references specifically call out RUE?
Also, did you start this project (RACS) from within RUE and then branch out from there to resolve questions raised from within RUE? In other words, if RUE is not self-contained (which I thought it was) how would you know where to go?

Thanks!!

- s.west

My bad, I meant RACS instead of RUE, "the sources for all those skills in the RACS are as follows..."
RUE has a tone of skills, some were previously introduced in other source books. Others I felt needed to be included in one spot and added them to the RACS (like Rifts China, Lemuria, etc.).

Is this just for curiosity sake or are you looking to find all the skills in their original books?

Greg.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:

Thanks!!

- s.west

My bad, I meant RACS instead of RUE, "the sources for all those skills in the RACS are as follows..."
RUE has a tone of skills, some were previously introduced in other source books. Others I felt needed to be included in one spot and added them to the RACS (like Rifts China, Lemuria, etc.).

Is this just for curiosity sake or are you looking to find all the skills in their original books?

Greg.

Oh you silly, silly Cinnabon smelling Butter Troll. :P ... What "tone" skills does RUE have other than instrument skills, sing and maybe perform? :D... :P mmmmm butter tro... X|
8} RUE being read in imperial could has a ton of skills but when read in metric should have a tonne of skills. I guess if it was being read to music it could have a tone of skills. :D... :P mmmmm butter tro... X|
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Is this just for curiosity sake or are you looking to find all the skills in their original books?

Well, the questions that are specific to the workings of RACS are primarily curiosity, because I'm not really fluent with Excel. Sometimes it feels like things are just coming out of thin air, so I have to track down how it works! And, I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the creativity of your solutions for achieving the level of automation which you have.

My questions about the bigger picture (i.e. sources for material not found in RUE) stem from the fact that I am working on my own adaptation of Rifts (as defined within RUE) to a virtual table top. So, as I began pulling things from the book (pdf), like Skills, I could see that there was material within RACS that didn't appear in RUE. So, basically, I've just been trying to reconcile those differences. There will also be automation, as part of the adaptation, but that's done under program control (LUA and XML) and is much easier to implement than operating under the constraints of Excel (another reason I'm so impressed with how you have achieved automation.)

For the most part, I still intend to limit the adaptation to just RUE, but I have a feeling that there will be some things that can't be resolved without relying on external sources.

Cheers,

- s.west
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg,

FYI:

Code: Select all

L39  == Horsemanship: Sea Serpents
B188 == Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter

Error?

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

The bonuses only "turn on" if you enter "Horsemanship: Sea Serpent" in the Combat Skills (melee) section of the Main Sheet, if you want the Percentages you need to enter them on the Skills Sheet.

Or is there another error that I am missing?
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Or is there another error that I am missing?

Well, based on the fact that the other 8 in that group match their corresponding skills:

(from Melee Combat Skills)

Horsemanship: Aquatic Animals
Horsemanship: Cossack
Horsemanship: Cowboy
Horsemanship: Cyber-Knight
Horsemanship: Equestrian/Knight
Horsemanship: Exotic Animals
Horsemanship: General
Horsemanship: Sea Monsters
Horsemanship: Sea Serpents

(From SKILLS & SKILL MATRIX)

Horsemanship: Aquatic Animals
    Recognize Breed & Quality, Breeding, Hitch & Wagon (A)
    Jumping, Tricks, Combat, Control Panicked Animal, Racing (A)
Horsemanship: Cossack
    Recognize Breed & Quality, Breeding, Hitch & Wagon (G)
    Jumping, Tricks, Combat, Control Panicked Animal, Racing (G)
Horsemanship: Cowboy
Horsemanship: Cyber-Knight
Horsemanship: Equestrian/Knight
Horsemanship: Exotic Animals
    Recognize Breed & Quality, Breeding, Hitch & Wagon (E)
    Jumping, Tricks, Combat, Control Panicked Animal, Racing (E)
Horsemanship: General
Horsemanship: Sea Monsters
    Recognize Breed & Quality, Breeding, Hitch & Wagon (S)
    Jumping, Tricks, Combat, Control Panicked Animal, Racing (S)
Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter
    Recognize Breed & Quality, Breeding, Hitch & Wagon (S)
    Jumping, Tricks, Combat, Control Panicked Animal, Racing (S)

I just assumed that Sea Serpents/Serpent Hunter should also match... or the test at M39 won't work. No?

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

Ah I see the end letter (G) doesn't match the type of horsemanship, i.e. Horsemanship: General is (G), but Serpent Hunter should be something like (SH)?

I'll put that into the next update.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Ah I see the end letter (G) doesn't match the type of horsemanship, i.e. Horsemanship: General is (G), but Serpent Hunter should be something like (SH)?

I'll put that into the next update.

Well, no, that's not what I was on about. It turns out that I didn't look closely at the choices offered in the dropdowns on Main in the COMBAT SKILL (MELEE) table.
I thought that that dropdown list was selected from the list on Data under SKILLS & SKILL MATRIX... But that wouldn't make sense, since the dropdowns only have MELEE skills.
I guess those dropdowns are selected from the Melee Combat Skills list (at L4 - although I still can't figure out how that linkage happens, but no matter).

Again, my problem was the mismatch between the name "Horsemanship: Sea Serpents" in the "Melee Combat Skills" list, and the name "Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter" in the SKILLS & SKILL MATRIX
But, apparently, that mismatch is inconsequential.

We can drop this.

Thanks for responding.

- s.west

[edit:] D'Oh! Of course the mismatch is inconsequential, as far as the workings of this excel spreadsheet are concerned. I was, erroneously, conflating the entries on the Skills list with entries on the Combat Skills list. In other words, in my mind a Skill was a Skill, no matter what. But, no, in the operation of the spreadsheet a Skill is drawn from the Skill List and has % values associated with it, and a Combat Skill is drawn from a Combat Skill (either melee or ranged) list. Ok, I'm all caught up. Although, naming-wise, I still think that you meant for those two names to be the same - i.e., Sea Serpents/Serpent Hunter. They both should be "Horsemanship: Sea Serpents", or they both should be "Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter". After my google search, it would appear that you meant "Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter", since it finds no references to "Horsemanship: Sea Serpents".
Ok, that's it, I promise. [/edit:]
Last edited by swest on Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Diaczyk

Ah!

Sorry I see it now, Horsemanship: Sea Serpents should be Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter in L39 of the Data Sheet.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Ah!

Sorry I see it now, Horsemanship: Sea Serpents should be Horsemanship: Serpent Hunter in L39 of the Data Sheet.

Yep, that's what I was on about. However, as you will see from my previous post (which I edited), I realize now that, as far as the operation of the spreadsheet was concerned, those two entries were distinct. I was looking at the wrong table when trying to figure out the workings of the Excel formula in M39.

Ok, that's it. I'll give it a rest : - )

Cheers!

- s.west
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greetings again, Greg. Hope you are well.

This is not an error, per se, but I think you probably want to know about it.

On the Data sheet, under "ATTRIBUTE BONUSES FROM SKILLS", for P.S. and P.P. you refer to summation cells in the 'PS' and 'PP' columns of the Physical Skills table to the right (specifically, cells BR36 and BS36). In that same Physical Skills table, you provide a corresponding summation for P.E. (at cell BT36), but instead of referencing that summation from the BL9 in the ATTRIBUTE BONUSES FROM SKILLS, you have an explicit formula in BL9. Since the summation at BT36 matches what the formula calculates at BL9, I thought you might have intended to reference BT36 instead of running that explicit formula.

Of course, there's the possibility that the summation at BT36 has a latent error, and so you continued to make the explicit calculation at BL9.

In any event, like I said, just thought you would want to know.

Cheers,

- s.west
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greetings Greg,

I have question about the Roping Skill, both as it is implemented in your spreadsheet (B433 on the Data page), and also in a more general Rifts Rules sense.

From the RACS point of view, Roping as a 'Skill', it imparts a "+1 bonus to entangle at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 14". On the Data page, the Bonuses column (column E) lists "Bonuses to entangle", but I can find no place where that is put into effect. Nor do I know where it would appear, since it's just a Skill, and not a Weapon Proficiency.

And, the related Weapon Proficiency, W.P. Rope, in the Melee Combat Skills table appears to impart a fixed '1' to Ent, still not taking into account the above-mentioned Skill bonus.

Apart from this RACS question, I'm wondering what it should mean, rules-wise, when a Skill imparts a bonus to a Combat attribute. For one thing, in the case of the Roping Skill, any such bonus should only apply when actually using the Skill (i.e. when you use Roping).

Anyway, I'm hoping you might be able to clarify all of this.

Thanks!

- s.west

[edit] Clarification: The
Roping as a 'Skill', it imparts a "+1 bonus to entangle at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 14"

refers to the RUE definition of the Roping Skill (RUE, p.306).
Greg Diaczyk

Yeah that's a tricky one.

If a Cowboy or Saddle Tramp have both Roping and W.P. Rope they get a +2 to strike and +2 to disarm with a lasso, implying that the skills are interrelated (which you would add as a custom bonus).

The strike must be for getting the Lasso on a target with W.P. Rope, but with Roping you roll the percentage to lasso a stationary post or animal.

I'd guess the entangle bonus could then be applied to W.P. Rope? But the entangle option doesn't replace the strike roll, it replaces a dodge or parry, allowing you to instead snag an incoming attack?

I think...? The ruling on it are kind of vague...

So I suppose you could add the Entangle Bonus to W.P. Rope?
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Greg,

That's helpful. In fact just confirming something like: "The ruling on it are kind of vague..." is helpful, so that I can be confident I'm not missing something else I should know.

Cheers!

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

swest wrote:Greg,

That's helpful. In fact just confirming something like: "The ruling on it are kind of vague..." is helpful, so that I can be confident I'm not missing something else I should know.

Cheers!

- s.west

If its further comfort I have added the missing entangle bonus to the Roping skill in the RACs Errata for the next version release.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Hello again Greg,

I'm trying to reconcile RUE's list of Saving Throws (p.346 - b.t.w., I have raised a similar question elsewhere in the forums: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=180844&p=3104168, if you're interested):

Saving Throws: Occasionally, characters must roll to save against exotic attacks like poison, gas, disease, drugs, etc.
      Curses: 15 or better.
      Disease: 14 or better.
      Lethal Poison: 14 or better.
      Non-Lethal Poison: 16 or better.
      Harmful Drugs: 15 or better.
      Acids: No save possible - dodge!
      Insanity: 12 or better (sometimes higher).
      Magic: 12-16 depending on the power level of the spell caster. 16 or higher to save vs ritual magic.
      Psionics:
        6 or better for Psi-Stalkers.
        10 or better for Master Psychics, including Mind Melters, Dog Boys and Bursters.
        12 for Major & Minor Psychics.
        15 for ordinary people and animals.

with the list that you selected for RACS:

H.F
    Insanity
    Psionics
    Mind Control
    Possession
    Magic
    Toxins
    Disease
    Coma/Death

and I'm led to wonder: How did you arrive at that particular list of Saves?

Thanks!

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

with the list that you selected for RACS:

H.F

So Horror Factor is talked about on page 367 of RUE under the Psychic Combat section. It was originally introduced in the Beyond the Supernatural game as a mechanic to explain the "Frozen with Fear" concept. In the world of Rifts Earth where dragons, demons and other monsters are trying to eat you all the time it only made sense to include it here as well. This is probably one of the most common saving throws in the game as you are suppose to roll it every time you see something scary (i.e. the creature has a Horror Factor). There are also some circumstances or situation which also warrant a Horror Factor such as being along in the dark, under fire and experiencing shell shock, etc.

Insanity

Kind of inline with the Horror Factor, but there are tons of scary and gruesome stuff out there and if you are exposed to it too often the mind might crack. Also the Crazy O.C.C. has their mind slowly breaking under the stress of the M.O.M. conversion so you pick up a few insanities along the way (sorry no saving throws) and Necromancers have a similar issue spending all their time with creepy skeletons, the dead and the horrors that often are associated with that. The mechanics can be found on page 331 of RUE.

Psionics

Like you stated above (from RUE) depending on what level of psionic power you have, you have a base to save vs. Psionic attacks leveled at you. You also gain bonuses to save vs. psionics which improve your chances as well.

Mind Control

Some psychic abilities are similar to mind control, but you'd use a save vs. Psionics. Mind Control saves are often from creatures like Vampires or exposure to certain types of drugs. It often pops up as a special bonus for many O.C.C.s

Possession

With all manner of entitles, ghosts and other creature who can possess mortals, this saving throw offers you a chance to better resist. With Rifts Earth being a really scary place, with all kinds of horrors that drive you insane and some that posses or mind control you, you can now see why these saving throws are important for a character to have (and upgrade). You can also get a bonus or an extremely high M.E. and many O.C.C.s offer a bonus to save vs. Possession.

Magic

Magic is a big thing in Rifts. The various saving throws get a little convoluted with Curses, Circle Magic, Wards, Illusion Magic and of course Common Invocations and Ritual Magic. As such having different saving throws for those types of magic are sometimes listed as a bonus for certain O.C.C.s. Since at last half the world of Rifts is magic based you are extremely likely to be battling evil wizards at some point, hence the need for this saving roll. The three main types would be Curses, Magic (Common Invocation Spells) and Ritual Magic. The bonus you have to save vs. Magic would be the same for each type, you just have to beat a different number depending upon what you are facing.

Toxins

So whether you call this poisons, toxins, chemicals, drugs, etc. its all the same and falls under this title. The P.E. attribute bonus specially calls up Toxins so that is what I went with. Non-Lethal Poisons, Lethal Poisons and Harmful Drugs all have a different "strength" thus the difference number to beat.

Disease

So like magic, trans-dimensional diseases are also suppose to be prevalent of Rifts Earth. An outbreak of Trans-Dimensional Small Pox or something might decimate a community and cause real problems for player characters, hence a need for a saving throw option.

Coma/Death

So you can find all about this on page 354. When you fall below 0 Hit Points you'll need to make a save vs. Coma/Death or you succumb to your injuries and die. If you are lucky you can stabilize and eventually recover. Chances are way better if you get medical attention (technological or magical).

Hope that helps?
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

> Hope that helps?

It does, indeed. I only wish that the primary authors had been as rigorous as you.

Thanks, very much, for the detailed response.

- s.west
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Ok, referring back to your post, I went through all Saves that are referenced in the O.C.C.s in RUE (this would seem to be where the primary meaning and intent of saving throws should derive). I correlated all of them with the ones on your list with the following exceptions:

Save vs Pain
    Save vs Fatigue
    Save vs Curses

Now, I think that I can resolve 'Curses', as being a particular type of Save vs Magic (right?)

However, I'm wondering about resolving the other two (Pain and Fatigue).
?

Thanks,

- s.west
Greg Diaczyk

Save vs. Pain
So I have only every seen save vs. Pain as a state, I do not actually recall anything with penalties or other issues caused by failing to save. I do know that Juicers and Crazies are immune to pain (as to their write ups) down to a certain Hit Point level, but I have never seen any consequences. I believe it was thought up and then omitted or accidentally deleted during editing?

In games that I have run I have counted it as part of the P.E. attribute, fail the save and you are crippled with pain, no bonuses, speed and attacks are half, but that's just a House Rule that I use. One could also use the penalties from a Neural Mace. Which brings me to another thought, there is a save vs. electrocution, but I don't recall where it is off the top of my head?

Save vs. Fatigue
I have never seen this as a save vs. where did you find it? I know that you fatigue based on your P.E. attribute level for stuff after running, or holding your breath etc. and the Psionic power of Resist Fatigue as well as the powers from a Juicer or Crazy can prolong the onset of the effect. I have always assumed that once your time ran out you collapsed from fatigue and could do nothing else...
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

A couple of things regarding Fatigue:

1. The Save reference is found in the Operator O.C.C. definition (p.92)
    2. I can find nothing in the way of definition/consequences for 'Fatigue'. Do you know where it is stated?

Thanks!
Greg Diaczyk

swest wrote:A couple of things regarding Fatigue:

1. The Save reference is found in the Operator O.C.C. definition (p.92)
    2. I can find nothing in the way of definition/consequences for 'Fatigue'. Do you know where it is stated?

Thanks!

So as I already mentioned I have always thought of Fatigue as on/off kind of thing. i.e. If you run too long (P.E. in minutes) you are fatigued or you stay awake for P.E. attribute in hours past a normal day you are fatigued, simply put you can then do nothing else but sleep.

I did however find rules on page 46 of the Heroes Unlimited Game Master's Guide or Sleep Deprivation. It goes into how long you can function, as well as penalties for various states.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"

swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

Ok, I give up: Where does the 100,000cr cost (along with 10,00cr/pt) for robotic strength (per limb) come from? i.e. What rulebook?

Thanks,

- s.west
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

swest wrote:Ok, I give up: Where does the 100,000cr cost (along with 10,00cr/pt) for robotic strength (per limb) come from? i.e. What rulebook?

Thanks,

- s.west

Context? Not sure about the 100,000credit cost, but (and as I don't have the RACS I am speculating here)...

The Robot RCC (SB1o pg105, not sure about the page in SB1r) lists a cost of 10,000credits per point of Robotic PS attribute increase.

Bionics Source Book pg103 (compiled from WB17 pg100) also lists a cost of 10,000credits per point of Robotic PS (200k credit for a PS of 20 or an extra 100k for PS of 30, both on Robotic scale, both of which basically work out to a cost of 10k per point).
swest
D-Bee

Unread post by swest »

ShadowLogan wrote:
swest wrote:Ok, I give up: Where does the 100,000cr cost (along with 10,00cr/pt) for robotic strength (per limb) come from? i.e. What rulebook?

Thanks,

- s.west

Context? Not sure about the 100,000credit cost, but (and as I don't have the RACS I am speculating here)...

The Robot RCC (SB1o pg105, not sure about the page in SB1r) lists a cost of 10,000credits per point of Robotic PS attribute increase.

Bionics Source Book pg103 (compiled from WB17 pg100) also lists a cost of 10,000credits per point of Robotic PS (200k credit for a PS of 20 or an extra 100k for PS of 30, both on Robotic scale, both of which basically work out to a cost of 10k per point).

Thanks for those references. They definitely help, and give some insight into how the RACS numbers might have been arrived at.

There is the flat 100,000cr cost-of-entry to Robotic Strength to account for. The associated tooltip (in RACS) reads:

To pick Robotic Strength to do consisted [sic] M.D. in attacks the Cyborg MUST be a Full Conversion Cyborg and purchase the Robotic Strength Option by selecting Robotic in the drop down menu.

(I assume the wording should be, "to do consistent M.D. in attacks...")

This suggests that there is something called the "Robotic Strength Option". I see all the entries in the books regarding what Robotic Strength means (w.r.t. attacks and such), just not the 100,000cr cost of this 'Option'.

Also, making that selection on RACS doesn't appear to be associated with any particular base P.S., that might account for the up-front cost, so I don't know how it should be used... You select 'robotic' P.S., and 100,000cr is tacked on to the bill.

- s.west

Return to “Rifts®”