Rifts as comedy or slap stick

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Rifts as comedy or slap stick

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Our dear former g.m. of our little rpg group has decided to 'retire' from the game since she had recently become pregnant with twins, and because of this she has decided that she must now become more mature and stop playing. Personally I believe that maturity is overrated, but that's just me. Anyway in honor of our former group I have decided to give you a brief overview of one the the silliest things she ever created.

She was a big loony toons fan and our adventured started out in Lone Star with one player, playing a mutant bird with sonic speed who had escaped, and was being followed by the dread kill hound, (roverous badmannericous.) The poor kill hound found himself, bashed, trashed, smashed, and crashed in a variety of creative ways. Event he dear leader of the base, the dreaded scientist, 'Dr. Dezzy B.', was not immune and found himself always seeming to stop on a nearby landmine. (Don't you hate it when that happens.) Fortunately a nearby flunky rad an Acme Reintegrator gun handy, so he never stayed dead for long.

The adventure eventually led us to atlantis, home of the dreaded "Spoogies", where we came upon their leader , who for some reason, had a large orange handlebar mustache below his central eyeball and was wearing a really BIG, black cowboy hat on top of fun. Acting and sounding a lot like Yosemite Sam, he informed us that he was the, "Rootinest, tootinest, shootinest, magic-using-ootinest, bigest badest beastie north, south, east and west of the 3 galaxies. Things went even weirder from their, involving a drunk elder got who turned the moon Titan into a giant banana daquiri.

Well that's our weird story, whats one that your group went through.
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Rifts as comedy or slap stick

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Why would the GM stop gaming? She is having twins? Well, that is two more little gamers. Besides if you start them off on Palladium, it makes (almost...) every other game system seem simple by comparison.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

if you don't have some slapstick in your games, i'm not sure you're actually roleplaying......

slade the sniper wrote:Why would the GM stop gaming? She is having twins? Well, that is two more little gamers. Besides if you start them off on Palladium, it makes (almost...) every other game system seem simple by comparison.

-STS

you new to the whole newborns thing? she needs a couple years before thinking about that. or about the idea of having actual free time. parenting is something of an "on-call" position....
hbrika
D-Bee

Unread post by hbrika »

On call, always worrying and no sleep.

Many Palladium books are very slap stick. Now I want to run a 3 Stooges cross over.
Never accept blindly, always question.

Give up free will at your peril.
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

hbrika wrote:On call, always worrying and no sleep.

Many Palladium books are very slap stick. Now I want to run a 3 Stooges cross over.

How about a BTS crossover with Young Frankenstein.

Or a Rifts New West Campaign based on Blazing Saddles 8)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

New West with Crazies-Is- pretty much Blazing Saddles- with the added feature of the CS(as the Klu Klux Klan), dinosaurs, and cactus people.

Rifts in general is slapstick with tactical nukes.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

Orin J. wrote:if you don't have some slapstick in your games, i'm not sure you're actually roleplaying......

slade the sniper wrote:Why would the GM stop gaming? She is having twins? Well, that is two more little gamers. Besides if you start them off on Palladium, it makes (almost...) every other game system seem simple by comparison.

-STS

you new to the whole newborns thing? she needs a couple years before thinking about that. or about the idea of having actual free time. parenting is something of an "on-call" position....

Hmm, well, I wasn't meaning 2 weeks out of the hospital, but within a few months. Mrs. Slade was definitely back to gaming (as a player and a GM) within the year...we would just prop the kids up and game with them right there. We have pics of them being quite enraptured with the whole deal...they had their own dice (big ones so they couldn't eat them) and everything...blank paper they could slobber on as a "character sheet".

Come to think of it, when we game/gamed we would bring our fish along, our cats would be there (well as long as they were being petted), the kids, etc. Probably why we still game as a family.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

slade the sniper wrote:[
Come to think of it, when we game/gamed we would bring our fish along, our cats would be there (well as long as they were being petted), the kids, etc. Probably why we still game as a family.

-STS

-ooo-YES! Bleed and weep, suckers!-ooo-
"Damn, that's the fifth critical strike the goldfish has rolled in a row!"
"Just be glad it was against NPC vampires and not us. I don't want a repeat of last week when the cats annihilated in that pick-up game."
"I thought for sure them having vagabond scout characters was a gimme!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
foilfodder
Explorer

Unread post by foilfodder »

Slap stick can be fun. Some players do not have a sense of humor when they are the victim. During one session a G.B. Pilot received a hazing in a bar from n.p.c. and stepped out then returned with his G.B. armor. I thought the G.M. handled it well. Two D-Bees strong enough to restrain he armor stepped up. Pilot got out of it with his life, but not his armor.

For your G.M. with twins, congrats to her.

For me it is not that I can't game since the kids, but that opportunities are fewer and shorter. Every parent should get a few personal hours a week. Maybe it is gaming, or maybe just a trip out for coffee.

My 3-year old son was playing with some dice the other day and exclaimed, "Roll..for...DAMAGE!" when he tossed them. Proud dad moment right there :)
taalismn
Priest

foilfodder wrote:My 3-year old son was playing with some dice the other day and exclaimed, "Roll..for...DAMAGE!" when he tossed them. Proud dad moment right there :)

When he does so as a teenager, check the car. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I find that it's near impossible to get a game going when your kids are in their teens and working when you are their ride (it also doesn't help that they are members of said gaming group...)
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Slap stick like the time a PC with a supernatural race pants a juicer pointed laughed and ran away?
Or some one using crazy Hetz pie pistol to put pies in peoples face.
Most games have some sort of comedy to them unless they are all just combat monsters.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
slade the sniper
Hero

dragonfett wrote:I find that it's near impossible to get a game going when your kids are in their teens and working when you are their ride (it also doesn't help that they are members of said gaming group...)

We just planned it. Saturday night OR Friday night was game night. They could choose one or the other. For some reason my kids were always more into gaming than work...

-STS
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:Most games have some sort of comedy to them unless they are all just combat monsters.

Or do a reversal game and play AS the combat monsters....

"Hey, what's my motivation for guarding this place?"
"Free housing and all the adventurers you can eat."
"Oh. Right."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

taalismn wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Most games have some sort of comedy to them unless they are all just combat monsters.

Or do a reversal game and play AS the combat monsters....

"Hey, what's my motivation for guarding this place?"
"Free housing and all the adventurers you can eat."
"Oh. Right."

Played a Goblin campaign like that...it was stupid, but very fun. A goblin tribe is ripe for slapstick comedy. Plus, when you die, it doesn't matter, all the goblins pretty have the same stats are interchangeable.

-STS
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I think a need to be mature is the wrong way to put it. You can be mature and still play a RPG. Heck I have played in some verry mature games.

A better way to put it would be needed to focus on something more important.

Simple math 1 child under 2 requires 100% of a person attion. GMing requires 30-120% of a persons focus
Children are more important than hobbies.
So the 200% of the attention they need trumps anything else.
When they get older the GM may be able to return to gaming but odds are that is 10+ years down the road.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

slade the sniper wrote:
dragonfett wrote:I find that it's near impossible to get a game going when your kids are in their teens and working when you are their ride (it also doesn't help that they are members of said gaming group...)

We just planned it. Saturday night OR Friday night was game night. They could choose one or the other. For some reason my kids were always more into gaming than work...

-STS

Don't get me wrong, my kids would choose gaming over work every time if it weren't for the inescapable need for money to pay for the few bills they do have as well as help my wife and I out with bills for the house.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Emerald MoonSilver wrote:
hbrika wrote:On call, always worrying and no sleep.

How about a BTS crossover with Young Frankenstein.

Or a Rifts New West Campaign based on Blazing Saddles 8)

These two are my new favorite game ideas!!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Hi there i my self throw in comedy in every game some more then others ,in a serious game you know a few one liners puns to help lighten the mood . Actually had one player quit after 1 joke saying game are meant to be serious . And as a parent i got my kids in to rifts and heroes and palladium fantasy , there mother showed them D&D and the final fantasy series . never to old to play a game .

Return to “Rifts®”