New Achilles Heel

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: New Achilles Heel

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

It is good to see renewed interest in this thread. :D
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Leon Kennedy wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Achilles Heel: Junkyard Junkie: The character likes holding onto useless trash and never throws anything away. It is a disgusting habit that keeps him from being able to sustain friendships. He must make a saving throw vs.insanity anytime he gets near dumpsters to keep from foraging through them for more useless garbage.

This is an actual, real-world obsessive compulsive affliction. Hoarding. It can get pretty ugly at the hero's home base with all this junk lying around. You should come up with some penalties friendly heroes suffer when coming to the base of operations.

I am aware it is. I know people like this. I was not sure what penalties would be applicable.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Leon Kennedy wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Achilles Heel: Junkyard Junkie: The character likes holding onto useless trash and never throws anything away. It is a disgusting habit that keeps him from being able to sustain friendships. He must make a saving throw vs.insanity anytime he gets near dumpsters to keep from foraging through them for more useless garbage.

This is an actual, real-world obsessive compulsive affliction. Hoarding. It can get pretty ugly at the hero's home base with all this junk lying around. You should come up with some penalties friendly heroes suffer when coming to the base of operations.

I am aware it is. I know people like this. I was not sure what penalties would be applicable.

I think it should be roleplaying more than anything else. I doubt most heroes would ostracize a fellow hero who just saved a busload of orphan nuns because he has too much paper and books in his apartment.
Maybe, instead of as social penalty, it would require a roll of some kind to find something quickly amidst the clutter, whereas a normal guy could find things automatically. :)

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

BillionSix wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Leon Kennedy wrote:

I think it should be roleplaying more than anything else. I doubt most heroes would ostracize a fellow hero who just saved a busload of orphan nuns because he has too much paper and books in his apartment.
Maybe, instead of as social penalty, it would require a roll of some kind to find something quickly amidst the clutter, whereas a normal guy could find things automatically. :)

Brian

:lol: True. I like the looking for things penalty, but that would be for the GM to determine.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, not every Achilles' Heel has to be world beating. There is a mindset among some people that to qualify, it has to be "If X occurs, then THE CHARACTER'S HEAD EXPLODES!!!"

A lot of them are just inconvenient, like an allergy to ragweed, or nearsightedness. The purpose isn't to nerf the character, but to make something interesting that could prove to be a stumbling block. Being unable to find the plans to the villains doomsday device because the hero left it under a stack of old Popular Science magazines is certainly a good Heel. It won't kick the hero's butt every session, but it is interesting and fun.

Brian
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

BillionSix wrote:Yeah, not every Achilles' Heel has to be world beating. There is a mindset among some people that to qualify, it has to be "If X occurs, then THE CHARACTER'S HEAD EXPLODES!!!"

A lot of them are just inconvenient, like an allergy to ragweed, or nearsightedness. The purpose isn't to nerf the character, but to make something interesting that could prove to be a stumbling block. Being unable to find the plans to the villains doomsday device because the hero left it under a stack of old Popular Science magazines is certainly a good Heel. It won't kick the hero's butt every session, but it is interesting and fun.

Brian

Agreed, that is my perspective on it as well.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

BillionSix wrote:Yeah, not every Achilles' Heel has to be world beating. There is a mindset among some people that to qualify, it has to be "If X occurs, then THE CHARACTER'S HEAD EXPLODES!!!"
Brian

no more samurai pizza cat for you :D more to come
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

I do respect however that different players have different play styles. In this spirit, I have created revised versions of some of the heels from the main book....

Vulnerable to Psionics/Magic/Light/Fire/Heat/Cold: When exposed to these elements, the character's head explodes.
Solar Powered (or Night Powered): The character is at full power during the day or night, but when the sun goes down, or up, the character lies down and dies. This can be avoided if the players has superspeed and can outrun the sun, or the Gateways power from PU1.
Loves the Opposite Sex: If the character is rejected, he or she dies of heartbreak.
Slow and Ponderous: If the character is forced to move quickly, i.e. carried by friends, or driving a car, the panic of moving speedily causes the character's brain to explode.
Extremely Nearsighted: If the character has to look at something far away, the eyestrain causes the character's head to explode.
God Syndrome: Is killed by God before the start of the game to punish his presumption and arrogance. Probably through head explosion.

Hope you all enjoy!

Brian
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Moonshadow wrote:
BillionSix wrote:I do respect however that different players have different play styles. In this spirit, I have created revised versions of some of the heels from the main book....

Vulnerable to Psionics/Magic/Light/Fire/Heat/Cold: When exposed to these elements, the character's head explodes.
Solar Powered (or Night Powered): The character is at full power during the day or night, but when the sun goes down, or up, the character lies down and dies. This can be avoided if the players has superspeed and can outrun the sun, or the Gateways power from PU1.
Loves the Opposite Sex: If the character is rejected, he or she dies of heartbreak.
Slow and Ponderous: If the character is forced to move quickly, i.e. carried by friends, or driving a car, the panic of moving speedily causes the character's brain to explode.
Extremely Nearsighted: If the character has to look at something far away, the eyestrain causes the character's head to explode.
God Syndrome: Is killed by God before the start of the game to punish his presumption and arrogance. Probably through head explosion.

Hope you all enjoy!

Brian

Brian, not so sure you should call this a rewrite as per say, sounds more like reasons to never use the Mega Hero and or have any sort of Achillies Heel. Seriously death via head exploding is your only option here? :lol:
I can see this being a joke posting.

I would think it was kind of obvious I was joking.

I was poking a little fun at the tendency of some posters to create overly deadly or debilitating Achilles' Heels.

Brian (who hates having to explain his sublimely subtle humor)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

137. Achilles Heel: Energy Lash Out
Whenever the mega-hero uses any of his superhuman abilities, a small amount of energy releases striking at everything in a 5’ radius of the hero. This energy will cause small amounts of damage (1D4+1) per usage for powers with long term effects this energy lashes out 3 times per melee, with out the Bio Aura minor power this even effect clothing and items carried by the super. For powers like superhuman strength that are always active this heel come into play when using his strength to lift heavy objects or attack, for powers like invulnerability the energy lashes out each time the mega being is struck.

138. Achilles Heel: Cover up
The characters powers fade when the mega-heroes skin is not exposed. This can attracted undue attention as well as making keeping a secret identity very difficult. The strength of the mega heroes power is reduce by the same % of the skin covered (to the nearest 10%) so if 54% of there skin is cover his powers are reduces by 50% if 56% reduce by 60%, so that being stated the characters powers are only at 100% when over 95% of there skin is showing. This flaw could be the reason behind some super women’s outfits.

139. Achilles Heel: Tree of life
The characters powers come from the life all around them, every living this from there world gives them power and strength. The Mega hero losses all of there super powers when off there home planet or when surrounded by death (like in a grave yard) on top of the Living dead, undead and creature and beings from other worlds inflict 25% more damage when attack this hero (but not off world technology only the living being). Weapons that are made from death (Hades Bone weapons etc.) also do double damage to this Mega hero.

140. Achilles Heel: Slow to act
Ether the character spend to much time talk, over analyses the situation, doesn’t like to fight or many other reasons the character always acts last in the first melee of round of combat and gets on initiative bonuses from powers or combat training just natural dice rolls. Although the hero acts, last this does give him time to plan his actions or make team plants for later melee round.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nice to see some new ones, DB.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

thanks SG marry X-mas
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Mr. Plague: The character might have the strength to toss around moons, and tough enough to eat diamonds, but their immune system is a total wreck. The character makes saves vs. disease at -5, and all forms of sickness and disease last twice as long, with any medication/treatment being only 1/4 as effective.
Alternitively, the character acts as a mega-carrier, sucking up any disease they had and storing it in their own body. The diseases are kept in a solution thats perfect for transmitting it to others; essentially, any non-super person who comes within 15-20 feet of the character has a 10% chance per minute of contracting a disease (any one the Mega-being has encountered over their life). They would be the equivilant of Typhoid Mary in the super community. Either of these could be avaoided by the use of environmental suits, but that would cut down on their social life/and senses.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glad to inspire you :P
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

mr stinky! basically you have MAJOR B.O.!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Strong Arm: Character is completely unable to pull their punches, full strength strikes only.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Re: Re:

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:23. Achilles heel: External Respiratory for shemorgorth
The character requires a device to breathe it give it the same abilities/bonuses as Bionic lungs and a gas mask but it is in a bag or strapped to the side. it light SDC: 10 to 20 and an are of 10, so falling on it wont destroy it but a well aimed shot could, als it is a small item requiring a called shot at -3 to hit it, if damage it makes the characters breathing hard, a 1-1 ratio so if 1/4 of the SDC is gone the characters air is reduce by 1/4 increasing fatigue rates 1/4 and costing 1/4 actions and combat bonuses. If the character’s device is reduced to zero other artificial means can be used to keep the character alive but only for 12 hours well a new replacement is built, after the 12 hours the character rolled a save vs coma death every hour at -5% each hour.

Would it be better to have the External Respiratory built into a helmet?

sure go for it the idea was for Shemorgorth so the if you want to change it for your its all good, nice to see more people make heels :D
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

141. Achilles Heel: Muse
The Mega requires the inspiration in other to activate his own superhuman abilities, this can be done by making a speech with a high MA (Trust roll), just looking super good and heroic with a high PB (charm/impress roll) or with skills such as Public speaking or Performance. The characters powers then will stay active for 30 minutes+10 minutes per level, if the character stops to inspire more people or re-inspire the time is reset if he is successful but if he fail the time left is halved. Each act of inspiration must be deliberate and take him 1D6 melee round if the when a attempt does not inspire those around the mega he cannot try again for 1D4 melee rounds.

142. Achilles Heel: Inspiration
The character requires seeing a great act that she finds inspiring before her powers will activate. After seeing other people leap into action or say something inspiring the characters powers will last for 20 minutes + 5 minutes per level. The hero can also try to remember some past event to trigger her power but this takes 2D4 minutes of concentration and the power her power levels and time they last are reduced by 50%.

143. Achilles Heel: Burst of powers
The character can summon up their powers but only for limited amounts of time, these bursts only last 1D4 MELEE rounds + 1 melee round per level ( so a 10th level hero would have a maximum of 14 melees or just 3.5 minutes) the character can active his powers 1 every 10 minutes to a maximum of 4 times per hour and only 20 times per day.

sorry it taken so long but i do test play all the flaws lol
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

It's always good to have more Achilles Heels. Thanks Dragon_blaze_99.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:It's always good to have more Achilles Heels. Thanks Dragon_blaze_99.

hp
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Nutty wrote:Here's a Q: When do you use these? During character creation?

Well, according to the RAW, you are required to take an Achilles Heel if you play a Mega-Hero character.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Obvious his powers is in use,thers is always a glow around that charcter,s body or only ther eyes.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

BillionSix wrote:
Nutty wrote:Here's a Q: When do you use these? During character creation?

Well, according to the RAW, you are required to take an Achilles Heel if you play a Mega-Hero character.

I also let players take one heel for one major power (or 2 minors)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

144. Achilles Heel: Hypersensitive hearing
The Mega is easily distracted & deafened by load noises. The penalties start at -6 initiative, strike, parry and dodge along with -1 action at 50 decibels, the reduction continues and 1 point per 10 decibels over 50. Beyond that, the character also takes double damage from all sound based attack, the combat penalties fade after the load noise stops but it takes 1D4 minutes. For decibel ranges, see sonic power major super ability in hu2.

145. Achilles Heel: Hypersensitive touch
The characters sense of touch is so keen that it is harm full not help full. The character can feel every thread in fabrics and it makes them twitchy, distracted and irritable, The mega becomes short tempered and is -2 on initiative -4 parry and dodge, If that is not the character takes double damage from all types of burns (chemical, fire, road etc.) would that effect his sensitive skin take twice as long to heal and until fully healed the character is -1 initiative, -1 strike, parry, dodge, -5% on skills and -10% on speed for every 3 HP below 50%.

146. Achilles Heel: Sympatico
The character has a supernatural bonded friend, parent, sibling, or child. Whenever his sympatico takes damage the Mega takes the same % of damage (so is the sympatico takes 15 out of 30 SDC then the mega will take the same % of his SDC i.e. 100 our of 200) at the same time the sympatico will also take damage when the mega does. This applies to both HP and SDC but if one is killed the other gets a +50% to save vs coma/death, if the Mega’s Sympatico is killed and he survives he ether strike up a new bond with the closest person or rolls 2 mega flaws to replace this one.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

147. Achilles Heel: No SDC
The mega has NO SDC at all, meaning that all attacks go direct to hp and cause blood loss, also the character heals only at HP rates on top of that attacks that are meant to bypass SDC and go direct to HP do double damage. The only slight bonus is that the Mega will get ½ his SDC add to his HP to a max of 100 bonus HP (anything over 200 SDC is lost)

148. Achilles Heel: Growth spurts
The mega hero grows and random time he starts out 6+1D4 feet tall and 200+1D4X30 lbs at first level and grows 1’ and 25 lbs every level. This size adds no SDC, strength or physical power but does make him – 3 to dodge at 10 feet and – 1 more dodge every 3’ after (he is a big target how is not fast for his size) his speed is reduce my 20% despite the long strides.

149. Achilles Heel: Battery powers
The Mega requires two Gigawatts of energy every 8 hours to keep working (about 20,000 car batteries), On top of that the character is only at max performance for the first 4 hours and that he drops by 25% each hour reducing range, damage, duration of powers, psionics and spells as well as the characters physical strength. Also using powers like APS: energy cause the character to drain his battery twice as fast and minor energy blast will drain him 5% each. The minor up side is immune to the type of energy that his battery require but a drastically different energy will cause double damage (i.e. if the character require heat energy cold based attacks will do double, fire will do normal and heat will do none.)

150. Achilles Heel: Fifth appendage
The character has a fifth appendage like a tail, extra arm or something that if held zaps him of all his super human abilities. If the appendage is struck with a grapple and held for 1 melee action (7 seconds) the character loses all his powers until it is released but it must be held by a living person, if pinned by an object or held by a robot/android the characters powers are reduce by 50%. If the appendage is struck with a damage blow it counts as a critical strike and the character must save vs pain of 15 of loses initiative and 2 actions.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

151. Achilles Heel: Pheromone susceptibility
The Mega is easily over come by the pheromones of those around them. Whenever the mega find themselves in an area with a large amount of pheromones i.e. nightclubs, bars, strip clubs etc. The Mega find himself caught up in the feeling of other, losing sense of time, has no initiative, -2 on all combat rolls, -2 actions and -30% on skill (not seduction). if the character comes across someone that they are attracted to during this state the lose another -2 on all combat rolls another action and – 10% more on skills as long as they can see that person. If the character starts talking to the person they are attracted to they have no combat bonuses, no actions -50% on skills unless that person is attacked then they will snap out of there trance only to protect them. The character also get no save bonus vs pheromone manipulation by Pleasure bunnies (see ATB 2nd page 127)

152. Achilles Heel: Pheromone storm
The character gives off a scent that will excite all beings in her general area 35’+5’ level. Everyone in the range must save vs non lethal toxins of 14 or higher or fell increased euphoria and sexual arousal making them all distracted , losing sense of time, has no initiative, -2 on all combat rolls, -2 actions and -30% on skill. As well that have a 20% chance +5% per PB & MA point over 15 of become obsessed with the mega they will follow her anywhere do anything she says if she make a PB or MA roll and try to kill themselves if they are rejected. On the twist side, the Mega will also become addicted to any of her love slaves that have MA or PB over 15 at the same % as above. The mega will be at -30% on skills and – 4 initiative – 5 all combat rolls – 3 action if parted from her love slaves for more them 4 hours and her powers will start plummeting by 10% each hour after the 4th hour apart.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

153. Achilles Heel: Xeno Biology
The Characters super powers are weak against life forms not of his native world. The Mega physical strength drops from supernatural to superhuman and power duration, damage, effects are reduce by 50% vs aliens and there robotic and equipment. This doesn’t include supernatural creatures like demons or dragon only aliens.
Sasqaricious
D-Bee

Unread post by Sasqaricious »

Pheromones

This character gives off a scent that is easily tracked and followed and which can not be turned off. Besides giving the disadvantage of easy tracking (+20% to tracking) and harder prowling (-15%) it has the additional side effect of being a potent cocktail of pheromones. These Pheromones have the immediate effects on the weak willed (ME 8 or less) attracted to the sex of the hero. They will not be able to leave them alone and may even get into danger while trying to defend the hero, or not paying attention. It does however give a bonus to seduction (+20%) and charm/impress rolls (+10% or a baseline of 25% for those without; Add an additional 10% at level 8 to both the baseline and bonus). Double all penalties and bonuses when dealing with someone with heightened sense of smell
Good music is deffined by the listener and not everyone else!
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

154. Achilles Heel: Quasi-stellar radio source
The mega hero gives of sources of electromagnetic energy, including radio waves and visible light that is point-like, similar to stars, rather than extended sources similar to galaxies. The light is visible even during the day at about 500’ at night he can be seen glowing over 1 mile away (making prowling hard if not imposable). On to of that his radio waves will cause all AM and FM radio, CB and other such device to go to static or sometime 10% chance will pick up the characters thoughts and broadcast them all for all to hear with the range of 500’+50’ per level.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

155. Achilles Heel: Ytterbium weakness
Ytterbium (pronounced /ɨˈtɜrbiəm/ i-TER-bee-əm) is a chemical element with the symbol Yb and atomic number 70. A soft silvery metallic element, ytterbium is a rare earth element of the lanthanide series and is found in the minerals gadolinite, monazite, and xenotime. The element is sometimes associated with yttrium or other related elements and is used in certain steels. Natural ytterbium is a mix of seven stable isotopes. Ytterbium-169, an artificially produced isotope, is used as a gamma ray source.

This bizarre weakness makes the character more susceptible X-rays, gamma rays that pass through soft tissues of the body, but are blocked by bones and other dense materials that normal do no damage will go 1D6 damage to the characters Hp every melee round. On top of that true laser weapon will do double damage (starting with SDC) to the character.

156. Achilles Heel: Zvaizdikis curse

Zvaizadikis is a Slavic & Baltic god of stars that (in some writings) was curse to day when stars fall from the sky. The curse doesn’t kill the character but can make him very weak. When the character is attacked by cosmic powers like the ones found in Control Void they will do double game to HP. Also when an asteroid falls through earth orbit above the city the character is in he will lose all his super human abilities for 1D4+1 days. This event my only happen 1 or twice a year but could be deadly.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

157. Achilles Heel: Anger Drain
The Mega’s powers drain as their anger grows and when not brought under check. Whenever the character rages or fails Saves Vs flight or fight and throws him self into combat each round out of “control” the character loses 20% of their physical strength as well as super powers (i.e. energy expulsion range and damage) after 5 rounds the character has not power at all. If the character calms down his powers will return with in 1D4 melees.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:157. Achilles Heel: Anger Drain
The Mega’s powers drain as their anger grows and when not brought under check. Whenever the character rages or fails Saves Vs flight or fight and throws him self into combat each round out of “control” the character loses 20% of their physical strength as well as super powers (i.e. energy expulsion range and damage) after 5 rounds the character has not power at all. If the character calms down his powers will return with in 1D4 melees.
Nicely done. I would think that there should be restrictions on powers you can take with this, though, since powers granting abilities due to being enraged would be out.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

158. Achilles Heel: Power lock
The Character must have a power that transforms him in some way (like and APS, Grown Shrink etc) this power is always activated and as much fun as it could be to be a 800 lbs metal walking tank Glitter boy pilot get out once in a while you cant you are stuff forever in that form. If the character has 2 power that alter the physical characteristic of the hero then one is “power locked” and to change to the other require a full minute to chance in which the character cannot act, then he can only hold the new form for 1 melee round per level. So a character with Power locked Growth would always be at full size but if he had Shrink, he could change after a full minute of concentration and could stay shrunk for one melee per level.
(Personal aside the character test played was an aps air how could not change and had to use multiple actions to touch solid thing with out throwing them across the room)

159. Achilles Heel: Ice Age
The character literally freezes up when ever the Mega become horrified. When this mega fails a say Vs HF his body is cover with a sheet of ice. The ice is not that strong AR 14 and SDC of 50 but when covered the character cannot attack, move, talk etc and his powers have not effect on the ice (so his APS fire would not melt it). The ice also my take a long time to melt if the character is not helped out and if he needs to breath could be in major trouble.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

one more and I'm at 160 and i was going to stop at 100 lol, I would like to hear if people have been playing any of the heels and how they are working out

Thanks DB99
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Hey Dragon_blaze , scrolling thru this thread has been an interesting read but i had wanted to ask you. Have you thought about going thru all the Achilles Heels and copy pasteing them all into your original post so people who come by can see them all in easier instead of scrolling thru all the pages?

Just a thought dude, some very intersting things here from you and everyone combined!

Or even you're First post your Heel's and your second post all your favorites from everyone else's posts?
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Shadowfyr wrote:Hey Dragon_blaze , scrolling thru this thread has been an interesting read but i had wanted to ask you. Have you thought about going thru all the Achilles Heels and copy pasteing them all into your original post so people who come by can see them all in easier instead of scrolling thru all the pages?

Just a thought dude, some very intersting things here from you and everyone combined!

Or even you're First post your Heel's and your second post all your favorites from everyone else's posts?

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... Weaknesses
the great wiki of nmi
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
Shadowfyr wrote:Hey Dragon_blaze , scrolling thru this thread has been an interesting read but i had wanted to ask you. Have you thought about going thru all the Achilles Heels and copy pasteing them all into your original post so people who come by can see them all in easier instead of scrolling thru all the pages?

the great wiki of nmi

I am NMI and I support this message!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:

the great wiki of nmi

Yes, I have been very diligent about making sure these get put in the Black Vault Wiki. At least so far as mine and Dragon_blaze_99's contributions to the category are concerned.
Shadowfyr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowfyr »

Sweet, i somehow lost the link to this site a long while back. Thanks for it =)
You are so huggably evil! :ok: ~ Temporalmage

So, come to a concensus...
Put five people in a room, and you have ten opinions! ~ Borast
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

just a heads up testing 2 or 3 new ones and then will post
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

160. Achilles Heel: Extreme Claustrophobia
the fear of having no escape and being closed in small spaces or rooms. It is typically classified as an anxiety disorder and often results in panic attack, and can be the result of many situations or stimuli, including elevators crowded to capacity, windowless rooms, and even tight-necked clothing. The onset of claustrophobia has been attributed to many factors, including a reduction in the size of the amygdala, classical conditioning, or a genetic predisposition to fear small spaces.

In this case, the character is affected when in any room smaller than 500 sq. ft. and is -1 on all combat rolls and action for every 100 sq. ft. smaller then this the penalties are doubled -2 at 400 and -4 at 300 etc. but when the character is locked in a room but 100 sq. ft. for the first 1D4 melees the character goes into a blind rage attacking everything and trying to escape but after the 1D4 melees the character fall into a catatonic trance sitting in one place rocking it lasts until the character is removed.

161. Achilles Heel: "Tragic flaw"
While the modern popular rendering of hamartia as "tragic flaw" (or "fatal flaw") is broadly imprecise and often misleading, it cannot be ruled out that the term as Aristotle understood it could sometimes at least partially connote a failure of morals or character:
Whether Aristotle regards the “flaw” as intellectual or moral has been hotly discussed. It may cover both senses. The hero must not deserve his misfortune. But he must cause it by making a fatal mistake, an error of judgement, which may well involve some imperfection of character, but not such as to make us regard him as “morally responsible” for the disasters although they are nevertheless the consequences of the flaw in him, and his wrong decision at a crisis is the inevitable outcome of his character (cf. Aristot. Poet. 6.24.).
When the character makes a major mistake all the fate in the world turns against him, his misfortunes pile up causing great amounts of problems for the character and those associated with him.
A major mistake like failing to clear a burning build and people being injured or even killed put the character off his game for 1D10+10 hours, in that time he is down 50% on all skills and combat bonuses, if a major mistake happens again the time increases but another 10+1D10 hours each time. But this poor souls problems don’t end there people how spend more than 8 hours in the last 24 hours or more than 4 hours when the flaw is in affect start to have the bad luck rub off on them losing 25% from all skills and combat bonuses they can get back to normal by staying away from the Mega for 30 min per hour they were with him.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

weakness for bouncing-rubber ducky.
you make noise WHENEVER you move,can't be turned off!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Has this one been done? I'm losing track! :?

162. Accelerated Dehydration.
Due to the demands of his superhuman physiology, the Mega Hero must consume around five times more fluid than a regular human: he requires a minimum of 15 litres (3.3 gallons) of liquid per day, just to maintain his health. This assumes that the hero is in a relatively relaxed state; G.M.s should feel free to up the requirement by as much as 50% if the character is involved in prolonged and strenuous activity.

If the character goes too long without drinking anything, he starts to feel weak and disoriented. For every three hours that the Mega Hero fails to consume at least a litre and a half (2.64 pints) of liquid, he incurs a penalty of -5% to skill performance, -1 to strike/parry/dodge and a 5% reduction in Speed (all penalties are cumulative, e.g. six hours without water means a skill penalty of -10%, -2 to strike/parry/dodge and -10% Speed).

If the character reaches the point where he has gone a full fifteen hours without drinking, he will immediately lose 2D6 Hit Points and the same amount again for every further three hours without hydration. Additionally, at this point, the hero's body starts to shut down: he can no longer heal from damage or injury, even if he normally possesses a power that grants rapid regeneration.

Once the process of dehydration has begun, the character must consume an amount of liquid commensurate with the length of time he has gone without it in order to recover; for example, going 12 hours - half a day - without fluid means that the Mega Hero must drink a full half of his daily intake to remove the penalties detailed above.

Without any fluid, the Mega Hero can only survive for 24 hours plus one hour per level of experience.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I like one of the original Achilles' Heels I have yet to see done more in games. Singular Power Focus. While the superbeing may possess multiple minor or major abilities, the character is limited to using ONE super ability at a time. Note: to compensate, a perfect companion Mega-power can be Power Amplification/Specialization, effectively doubling the range, duration, damage and effects, etc. for whatever super ability is active at that time.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Like this :)
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Thanks! This is a good topic, and I'm a little surprised this one was never added, considering how iconic it is.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Aura of Insemination: This charatacter is able, with his mere presence, to cause females to become pregnant! His reproductive powers are so powerful, the organic bits actually leave his body in an invisible cloud, and are able to seek out any fertile female within range, and attempt to do their function, regardless of their relation with the character. Range of this aura starts out at 30 feet, and grows 5 feet per level. Use Drewkittys tables if you want, but otherwise feel free to assume that the character is able to father children, and all children have a decent chance (1-25%)of inheriting some or all of their fathers powers.

Alternitively, for females, they are able to feel the sensations of pregnancy and childbirth of any woman within 2d40 feet per level.

Sorry if its been a while, just no ideas lately.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Aura of Insemination: This charatacter is able, with his mere presence, to cause females to become pregnant! His reproductive powers are so powerful, the organic bits actually leave his body in an invisible cloud, and are able to seek out any fertile female within range, and attempt to do their function, regardless of their relation with the character. Range of this aura starts out at 30 feet, and grows 5 feet per level. Use Drewkittys tables if you want, but otherwise feel free to assume that the character is able to father children, and all children have a decent chance (1-25%)of inheriting some or all of their fathers powers.

Alternitively, for females, they are able to feel the sensations of pregnancy and childbirth of any woman within 2d40 feet per level.

Sorry if its been a while, just no ideas lately.

This is awesome!
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:This is awesome!

If the villains can't beat you physically, the GM will have them beat you in court, with paternity suits...
For best effect, I'd say have this sprung on the player out of left field; say right after they return from an island full of Amazons. :demon:

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

162. Achilles Heel: Super Gore
The character suffers from Class IV Hemorrhage involves loss of >40% of circulating blood volume. The limit of the body's compensation is reached and aggressive resuscitation is required to prevent death. This starts whenever the character takes HP damage as well as when the character is takes damage from one type of attack (ie fire, water, magic, magical weapons and so on). The effects of this flaw are two fold 1.The character weakens quickly losing one an all combat rolls and -5% on skills every melee round (in round 2. -2 all combat -10% skills), also there is a 10% chance each round that the character falls into a coma (in round 2. 20% fall into a coma) after falling into the coma standard coma rules apply. The second factor effects those around the character 2. Normal people and those of good alignment must save vs HF of 16 due to the gore spilling from the characters body, Selfish alignments save vs 14 and evil vs only a 10, however some psychotic beings my wish to feather the character pain and my start tying to prolong the gore.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”