New Heroes pbp...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Is it a cool idea?

Blech!
No votes
Meh....
43%
Kewl! Where do I sign up?
57%

Total votes: 14

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

New Heroes pbp...

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..So I'm thinking of starting a game... Figure everyone makes up a normal person, and then something happens that brings them powers, manifesting in sudden unexpected ways while they go about their lives...

..Supers are unheard of in the setting, although that obviously is about to change...

..Does this sound cool?

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

reasonably cool. :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Sounds pretty cool to me.

PigLick
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

...Only if they all get their powers in a bar or tavern of some kind.

...at the same time.

...and at least one of them has amnesia.

:bandit:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

acreRake wrote:...Only if they all get their powers in a bar or tavern of some kind.

...at the same time.

...and at least one of them has amnesia.

:bandit:

oh, I can do amisiac characters very well.

if they don't ask about my past, they will never know I can't remember it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
MADMANMIKE

Troy Xavier wrote:Sounds pretty good but the last two times I tried one it ended up falling apart.:P But good luck with yours.

..Isn't that the inevitable end of all games? I cannot concieve of an ending to the story, so I would go on as long as I could. Life generally gets in the way of that, either for me or the players or a combonation of the two. But the game is always worth playing...

..I've set up a basic game over at rpol.net. There is some basic info and an educational background table modified for the game.

-Mike >8]
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

..Requests to join should include character concepts, and hero preferences.. Not that you'll get them, but an idea of what you lean towards.

that sounds a tad ominous. even working with the general normal people becoming somethign more theme, if we arn't likely to get even a fair request along those lines it's a tad. . . unsure?

little point in making a character if we just wind up with something different. you may as well just assign us powers and the like.

or am I reading too much into that?

MADMANMIKE

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
little point in making a character if we just wind up with something different. you may as well just assign us powers and the like.

or am I reading too much into that?

..I thought that seemed a bit obvious... :lol:

..As I see it, it'll be a game of discovery for the beginning.. The game is built with a large amount of random rolls, so why not assign powers?

..It will be pretty freeform depending on the requests, but like any other game, if a players character concept doesn't fit the campaign, it's not going to be approved. If someone comes to me and says they want their character to develop flight, that's likely to happen, but if say, they come to me and say they want a character with APS-Metal and Sonic Speed, they might get Extraordinary PE and Extraordinary Spd...

..I'm just reserving the right to have final say on character development. I'm not going to arbitrarily say "You want Shrink? NO! You get Growth! MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" I'm not the chef played by Patrick Stewart in L.A. Story... "Neu! He vill have zee chicken!"

-Mike >8]
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'll do it. I figure I'll just roll the character up and let you assign powers to the character as things come up. I'll PM you a little of a background for the guy and you can let me know how things work.

-Vek
"This should be fun."
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Will this be kind of like the movie Unbreakable?
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'll do it. I figure I'll just roll the character up and let you assign powers to the character as things come up. I'll PM you a little of a background for the guy and you can let me know how things work.

-Vek
"This should be fun."

That's how I would do it, too. If this is truly supposed to be a game about discovery, I wouldn't want to know ahead of time what powers I'm going to develop. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

PigLick
MADMANMIKE

Marcantony wrote:Will this be kind of like the movie Unbreakable?

..That's a good reference, a regular guy in a regular world discovering he's not so regular. Of course, he was always that way, and the characters are likely to have something happen to bring it too them.

..Yeah, if you just make a regular person and let the circumstances dictate the powers that'd be ideal.

-Mike >8]
MADMANMIKE

..C'mon guys, this is going to be good role-playing. Gritty. Dangerous. Life and death with only your wits and a sudden strange new ability to help your character through...

..Let's go. I've got two excellent players on board, who's next?

-Mike >8]
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I like it! It sounds very much like the Marvel New Universe line and I'm one of the people who liked the place for the most part. I'd love to be able to play in that type of game.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
MADMANMIKE

Daniel Stoker wrote:I like it! It sounds very much like the Marvel New Universe line and I'm one of the people who liked the place for the most part. I'd love to be able to play in that type of game.

Daniel Stoker

..Awesome Dude! DP 7 and Star brand, along with the big War mini-series were my initial inspirations...

..The Invisible Man Series on Sci-Fi was another...

..Check the link above to the game at rpol.net to join.

-Mike >8]
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I have all of Psi-Hawk, DP 7, and a smattering of Justice and the other titles. And I loved the Invisable Man series on Sci-Fi, I just wish it was still on. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

New Universe was the greatest comic line around. The problem came when
they decided to mess with it half way through. My favorite was when Star
Brand was trying to get a haircut and the barber couldn't cut his hair
(invulnerable). I love the idea, especially the random chance. The only
problem is a package of powers has to make sense (Control Plants and Control Darkness?).
There needs to be at least a general theme. So I'd randomly role
the major and/one minor then be allowed to
fill in the rest. Doing the whole DP 7 or Psi-Force
would be neat. You could almost do Psi-Force by having the PCs
roll up the Mental Gestalt from PU2. Cool idea man. :ok:
MADMANMIKE

Reagren Wright wrote:New Universe was the greatest comic line around. The problem came when
they decided to mess with it half way through. My favorite was when Star
Brand was trying to get a haircut and the barber couldn't cut his hair
(invulnerable). I love the idea, especially the random chance. The only
problem is a package of powers has to make sense (Control Plants and Control Darkness?).
There needs to be at least a general theme. So I'd randomly role
the major and/one minor then be allowed to
fill in the rest. Doing the whole DP 7 or Psi-Force
would be neat. You could almost do Psi-Force by having the PCs
roll up the Mental Gestalt from PU2. Cool idea man. :ok:

..Thanks.. Now if a few more people would join the game...

..I liked that the Star Brand found it's way to the normal Marvel Universe in a Quasar Crossover. I mean, it sucked that New Universe bombed, but it was cool to see it make a small come back.

..I always liked that character in the War that had the hub cap. And that dream warrior guy, what was his name... Moon something?

-Mike >8]
MADMANMIKE

..In face to face gaming, as well as in chat, there is a tendancy to gloss over the finer details of the game. What you're wearing, the details of the environment around you, what your character is thinking and feeling as he does what he's doing, as well as the seemingly mundane tasks.

..In Play By Post, it's good to put as much detail into your part as possible. I'll give you an example; I was in a Heroes game a few years ago, and everyone was taking turns describing their characters and origins to eachother in character. I was a late comer to the game, so I posted the following:

Mancer wrote:..Suddenly (and without warning), a figure appears in the middle of the room. Wearing a charcoal gray hooded cloak, the man has long black hair with gray strips at the temples, and a long Fu Man Chu mustache and goatee. "Behold! I am Mancer!" he says in a booming voice. As he speaks he unfurls his cape, revealing the rest of his costume; on his hands are small leather gloves, flared at the wrists. On his forearms are studded leather bracers, covering the sleaves of a black silk shirt that ties down the front. On his waste is a thick leather cumberbund with a large, ornate, bejeweled buckle, and two leather pouches, one on each hip. His legs are covered with red baggy pantaloons and knee high brushed black leather boots.
After a moments pause, he notices the mess that was the snack table and, in a not so booming voice says, "Oohh! Are there any crab cakes left?"

..After the GM and some of the players posted reactions, he settled in to tell his origin:

Mancer wrote:..I haven't done much before; The first time I went out I foiled a bank robbery, and it made the news, but... well, uh... you see.... I can't sew, so I ordered the parts of my costume from various mail order supply companies, and, well, the parts hadn't come yet. All I had was this old Lone Ranger mask. When I heard the sirens I saw the cops surrounding the bank down the street, so I figured it was my big chance. I put the mask on, and... It's pretty silly actually... I brought a recording, I'll put it on so you can see.

..After producing a small vid-disk, Chyna directs him to a panel on the wall that until he approached it had appeared to be a large panoramic painting. At his approach a small panel below the screen opens and he inserts the disk. For a moment the vid screen stays blank, as the sounds of the disk spinning up can be heard; Then the all too familiar sound of channel 115's Update on the Quarter program comes on with the station logo, followed by the afternoon comentator, Mercedes Ubankwi, with the report. "Good afternoon Centropolis, this is Mercedes Ubankwi with your Update on the Quarter. Two would-be robbers of the Central Bank on East Boulevard and 18th street were apprehended today when witnesses say a mysterious masked man appeared literally out of thin air and talked them into giving themselves up. Sources say the "Lone Negotiator" was wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt and a classic Lone Ranger style mask when he appeared in the bank, somehow having gotten passed the police baricades without notice. After speaking to the men about the error of their ways, the suspects laid down their weapons and, with heads hung low surrendered to the police outside. Before the police could question him he vanished again, leaving witnesses to ask, 'Who was that masked man?" This is Mercedes Ubankwi and thats the update."

..Now the information I had before I posted that was simple; everyone was in a room with a table full of snacks, describing their origins. The adventure was in a city called Centropolis. I invented the channel 115 thing, as a vehicle for my intro. That's where the freeform comes in. Where details are left blank and won't interfere with another players character or the GM's previous posts, it's good to develope details like that.

..There is a dice-bot on the site, and whenever a situation comes up I usually have the players list a few actions/attacks they intend to do and roll for each, listing them on their post. I then weave it together with the NPC's actions/reactions and it flows pretty smoothly.

..Frequency. As far as interacting in groups is concerned, I expect at least 2 posts a week. In the Past I've had games go pretty fast with Veknironth keeping the characters in play through conversation, posting several times a day. I can't commit to my own posting that frequently, as I work 60 hours a week, don't have access at work, and have a three year old and a three month old at home, but I will commit to at least 2 times weekly, often more on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, my days off.

..Everyone will start with their own threads, so as soon as you get a character in you can start play. Right now there's a modified educational background table to use listed in the first post on the site, and I'm working on a skill restricitions list, which I hope to have up in the next few days. Check out the site and request to join, I can give more info there.

-Mike >8]
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

hey and if you guys need a place to play your PbP at, my msg board is open to you guys/ gals.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
MADMANMIKE

The Deific NMI wrote:hey and if you guys need a place to play your PbP at, my msg board is open to you guys/ gals.

..Sorry, I'm using rpol.net. Checking out your site though, it looks pretty cool.

-Mike >8]
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I'm all signed up... waiting for all of you jokers!
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
MADMANMIKE

..OOC thread now up, waiting for a few character names to get everyone added....

-Mike >8]
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Dekker wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:..OOC thread now up, waiting for a few character names to get everyone added....

-Mike >8]

MM, I went to the site, but which HU game is yours? :?

It's "Hero Dawn."

In fact, here's a direct link: Hero Dawn

PigLick
MADMANMIKE

DEKKER! Dude! Weren't you in one of my old games? You're welcome to join. I was just thinking about looking up FullMetalJacket and offering an invite too...

..Ack, an hour past my bedtime. Looks like it won't be 6 hours of sleep tonight.... :(

-Mike <8[
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Im up for it.sound fun!
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
MADMANMIKE

..Eeexcellent! <steeples fingers>

..My plan is coming together nicely...

..As soon as Stoker and Richards get their characters lined out we're gonna be on a roll!

-Mike >8]

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”