Is it true what they say about a sharp dressed hero?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Well, in my games it really depends. Usually, my players find ways of using their abilities & skills(secretly or publicly) of making some kind of money. Basic costumes are pretty easy; just find a tailor and pay them. For our current invulnerable/supernatural PS char we decided simple is better. His costume is an old fireman's outfit. And since he tends to get blasted by various things, the group keeps quite a few spares around. Most characters just use normal street clothes to fight crime. Why waste money on fancy costumes when you can just buy a t-shirt and jeans?
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

if he makes his own costume he better have Sewing asa primary otherwise it is going to look like cra[

if he goes to a tailor NO ONE better see him and the tailor better have tight lips

Some of the "costumes" are not spandex but a form of foam armor, and now leaning toward spidersilk armor provided by agencies etc
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

One reason why I like the mystic bestowed character.
SHAZOOM! There's your costume. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Therumancer wrote: One of the big advantages here is that since 'you' are actually 'your costume' if pressure gets too hot for a certain heroic identity, you can always get another costume, start calling yourself something else, and noone will realize it unless you tell them.

Sorry, but have to point out a certain Marvel Comics link to this particular.
Thunderbolts. This is an excellent example of the costume making the person. For this reason, I suggest people to take a look at this book for some subliminal insight it gives into the mainstream public opinion of the 'costume'. In fact, due to inspiration from this book, my players have taken on different personas(costume-wise) when doing rather clandestine missions. Some of their characters(the ones who have survived long enough) have three or four different personas that they have created to hide their activities. This mention by Therumancer should be considered rather revealing.

Oh, BTW Theru. Have you considered writing a HU based article on the impact of the 'costume'? Include time-period specific examples of what is considered 'safe' and such(based on technology commonly available). I'm sure it would make for some good reading.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

I prefer cinematic-style costumes(subdued colors, durable modern materials, sturdy accessories(boots that look like they could kick the bad guys into orbit, while still being realistic enough to be usable), are more or less skintight, and the fact that they do look damn cool). IMHO. Cartoonish costumes are too skimpy and garish in colors to just be realistic(female characters almost always get the costume, which looks like a bikini with an overflowing cape(How do you think a character with this kind of a costume is going to feel like in a polar ice cave? Yeah, you got it, very very cold, if she hasn't got an immunity to cold).

Minor variances in the same basic design apply in large groups. For an example, look at the X-Men in the movies, they all have the same suit design with minor variations due to sex and personal preferences, color highlights distinguish characters(Wolverine has orangish highlights, whereas Storm's are white for an example), they also have accessory variances(Cyclops' visor, Storm's cloak etc).
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Jeremy611

Unread post by Jeremy611 »

Writers Block wrote:I actually have a sort of Mad Scientist/Hardware guy NPC in a campaign that is a "costumer" who specializes in skin tight armor, making ankles look wafer thin, adn making "anatomical attributes" both prominent and gravity defying...among other things...I SOO want to play this as a character one day...

If you have read Villians Unlimited you might remember Fabricators Inc. run by the Fabricator of all people. This outfit provided customized EVERYTHING for the villian, costumes included. You take this Mad Scientist and do the same with him and he'd be the Fabricator for the good guys and gals. Payment would have to be in advance to avoid the late or delinquent account. However, personal info like special secret pockets, equipment for the job, and ,oh yeah, MEASUREMENTS would be an issue as you can't have everybody knowing this much about you.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

It really depends on the campaign at hand.

The players in motor city are vitually costumeless. One is mystically bestowed, another wears PVC and steel, another wears biker leathers and padding (knees, elbows) while the last has so many energy fields that he just hopes an impromptu mask doesn't incinerate.

In my NYC game, the characters wear suits dependig on their origin. The alien wears a neutral coloured body suit that shows off her wings and shoulders. The Acrobat wears Lycra, mirrorshades and a tool belt. The thin man wears a tracksuit (You would call them 'sweats') The supersoldier wears urban fatigues.

In The LA game, We have a forensics cop who wears 'sweats' with a sword sheath, A character that turns to glass (costume and all) A super speedster whose costume is donated by her agency and a mutant whose costume is made from 'miraclex' fibre. a gift from their Canadian super buddies (now that I've said that out loud, it DOES sound gay)

So pretty much they use whats at hand, though very few need a costume.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

If anyone actually watched that overly long documentary that went with the X-men DVD, you see just how impractical those PVC or leather jumpsuits really are.. you can't even jump over a very low wall without tripping over yourself and wriggling on the ground like an overturned turtle (no offence to the TMNT).
ANother reason Full face masks are a great idea is that every villian and just about every heroic player character carries smoke or gas grenades.. smoke grenades stink and make you cough if you are trapped in a confined space with the things and gas grenades can actually kill you if you act like an idiot when they are being used against you.. so yeah, you don't have to have a gas mask built into your costume, but a snap on air filter is a good idea.
Superman has a belt, because he is super smart and probably realised the need for some form of pockets.. heh heh..
No really, pockets are also a must have on any costume, as is sensible footwear and a pair of gloves.
Capes are not only swish looking, they are also handy for taking off and wrapping around people who are in danger of going into shock, or using as a bandage, or beating out a fire.. a decent chunk of fabric has a thousand uses.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Unstable molecules? God forbid NO! I much prefer suits that are tailor made and easily patchable than to have them done from a material that wouldn't even exist IRL, even if the material could potentially be stretched to the edges of the known universe without ripping it and that it is whatever-you-like-it-proof, still being only a molecule thick (imagine the extent of bruises from getting shot at with large-caliber firearms, and when that molecule-thick material stops them. Ouch!).

And, yes it still DOES hurt even if the actual damage IS stopped by a piece of modern bullet resistant vest. A .357 Maggie tickling your ribs leaves a pretty nasty calling card even if it's stopped by the vest. :)
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:.
Capes are not only swish looking, they are also handy for taking off and wrapping around people who are in danger of going into shock, or using as a bandage, or beating out a fire.. a decent chunk of fabric has a thousand uses.
8-)

For those who've read Douglas Adams; why do you think it's suggested you always have a towel?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Ok, I didn't read those last two posts before I replied with mine. And here I was thinking I was gonna be somewhat original in my commentary.

When dealing with costumes, most of my group actually keeps their costume mostly intact. Minor sewing is really all that they need. Of course we have one exception. Every session, and I mean every session without exaggeration, one character gets his costume obliterated. Our Invulnerable char always gets in some situation where his costume becomes dust. Either he gets blown up, or walks through the APS: Plasma villain, or whatnot. It happens so much, in fact, that when I check to see whether Joe Normal recognizes the team, they get a bonus if this hero is naked. Most of the time, he fights crimes in his birthday suit. Finally, someone came up with a variation of Instant Wardrobe where all that happens is you have a set costume. When that costume is damaged or destroyed, the next melee action you have another. It doesn't stop damage, just kind of regenerates itself. Mainly, it was implemented to stop Mr Bomb Eater from flying around with his wang hanging out all the time.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

There was a very good short story in an anthology of Batman stories that dealt with this very issue and which has provided a model for similar establishments in my own games....Certain high-class clothiers who go into providing both heroes and villians with their costumes, and do all the alterations and repairs(like those unsightly flamethrower burns)....
Certain guidelines do apply....
*Advertizing is by word of mouth only...we don't put out ads. If you haven't heard of us and our policies, it's because you haven't yet made it, or you're not worthy of our services.
*The establishment is neutral ground....if, by chance, when coming in to pick up your dry-cleaning, you see your arch nemesis getting refitted because of that spare tire he picked up while in the hoosegow, you CANNOT attack him, nor make depreciating comments...
*Variety of payment plans, but the establishment is NOT to be used for money-laundering
*Payment will be prompt, or at least gauranteed by the client
*Credit offered/discounts incorporated if the client provides own materials or equally discrete contact numbers and referrals for suppliers of special materials.
*Clients must remove all LETHAL instruments, weapons, and explosives from costumes before turning them in....Within limits, the establishment can refurbish gear(replace/restock non-lethal munitions, oil roof-climbing grappnel winches, restring crossbows, and repair basic electronics, etc.), but the more sophisticated the repair, the greater the service charge.
*CLients may NOT talk shop while on the premises or when dealing with establishment staff(No ranting, raving, boasting, or expounding on one's exploits, aside from something like "That? I got that rip flying through a rosebush...at 200 MPH")...
*The establishment is not held accountable for the actions of its clients...and will deny all affiliation with them if so pressed, questioned, interviewed, or subpoened...

Failure to comply with the above will result in full and complete severance of service, return of any gear still in their possession(likely still unrepaired/uncleaned), the possible employment of superpowered collection payment agents or lawyers to make your life miserable on (apparently) unrelated matters, and major loss of face among your fellow superbeings(heroes and villians alike) as your appearance suffers and word spreads that you got tossed from the good graces of the establishment...

After all, do you really want to find out what happens when you over-starch your adamantium underwear?
Some things are best left to professionals....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jeremy611

Unread post by Jeremy611 »

I vaguely remember hearing that Superman's invulnerability is partially due to a force field so close to his body that his clothing lies under it without sustaining much if any damage. Though it is not practical for very many heroes or villians to have that trait it is plausible for the invulnerable character.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

MrTwist wrote:, someone came up with a variation of Instant Wardrobe where all that happens is you have a set costume. When that costume is damaged or destroyed, the next melee action you have another. It doesn't stop damage, just kind of regenerates itself. Mainly, it was implemented to stop Mr Bomb Eater from flying around with his wang hanging out all the time.

you really need to lokk at the Mask minor super ablity!
(it's in PU1-pp35)
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”