Hard-‘Where’ Unlimited…?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Writers Block wrote:I wrote it, got paid for it, and Pall had it for four years then decided not to publish it. I have yet to get any real, quanitifiable reason why. I really felt it was something needed and helpful as did everyone I got to check it out. Pall (Bill and Kev) did not agree. Ah well....

unfortunalely, due to palladium's policy, your manuscript is there property whether they do anything with it or not, so you can't even put it up on the web.
i guess since you got paid for it, that's what really counts. but i for one am starting to think with all the manuscripts palladium must be sitting on, writers are better off just releasing it as a netbook instead of bothering to submit.

on the subject of a possible to be released Hardware Unlimited, Wayne Breaux has expressed an interest in tackling that project a few projects down the line. since its after the big atorian book that's been in the works for a while now and looks like it wont be released till at least 2005 (im guessing wildly) dont hold your breath for Hardware Unlimited.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Its dead man and its not comming back
just like rifts lemuria
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Writers Block wrote:I wrote it, got paid for it, and Pall had it for four years then decided not to publish it. I have yet to get any real, quanitifiable reason why. I really felt it was something needed and helpful as did everyone I got to check it out. Pall (Bill and Kev) did not agree. Ah well....

WB,
I wouldn't give up hope, after all they did buy it, witch means that they saw some value in it. It just might get published yet but in a more picked apart and expanded version giving you some credit.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Mr Siembieda doesn't read the message board posts, but he does read all the mail we send him.

If you want a Hardware Unlimited book.. send him a letter asking nicely for one.
The more letters he gets, the more little dollar signs start appearing over that shelved manuscript.
I kid you not, we can get this book published if we put the effort in.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

He reads mail eh... Hmmm..... Nice, very nice.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

just as a note, its been said (for better or worse) that paper letters get more attention than an email.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Writers Block wrote:Admittedly, there was a lot in there that in hindsight (such as not knowing that they were doing HU2 at the time) I would not have included... such as the revised skills and education section. I compliled all the skills, revised the charts, added loads of new skills, new rules for further education, etc to that. It is pretty cool and my group uses it a lot.

The stuff I was proud of was that I delivered what I pitched: the one stop shopping book for all the tech classes. On the rules front I added artillery rules, the Armor Integration Method (brought PV more smoothly into line with AR and such), hacking rules, computer program creation and rules, sea combat, and more. I added new classes of Hardware (including mutant animals) as well as Mad Scientist...though I never really got a liking for the rules I created for their inventions...lossa new weapon and vehicle tech, revised budgets, class polishing (they all get the smae number of skills for one, and Electrical can actually build super gadgets...) and the like. New robot and cyber stuff was in there as well, from new classes to new gadgets. I also included new sheets for listing gadgets, and some real life stats of world records and such for comparison to your inventions. All sorts of side articles on GMing and such. All the people who read and playtested it over the years have loved it, and many of the mods are now the standards in my group's campaigns. Ah well, it was a labor of love for a class I love...I was hoping to share it with all of you...

What really sucked is no one told me it was not getting done. Remember Bill Coffin saying he got yelled at over a post? He posted that it was dead. I called Kev and found out they had killed it a month before and no one told me. Sukky.

From what you posted it really looks like it was a book HU really really needed. Even more than the PU in my opinion. I really can't see why it was not published except maybe because it was too good. Who knows maybe they will release in 2005 or 2006. Probably not but you never know.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

memorax wrote:From what you posted it really looks like it was a book HU really really needed. Even more than the PU in my opinion. I really can't see why it was not published except maybe because it was too good. Who knows maybe they will release in 2005 or 2006. Probably not but you never know.

As was stated in Rifter #20:

Kevin Siembieda wrote:This is a simple case of I found the manuscript lacking. The freelancer who submitted the proposal is a good guy who tried his best, but "I" did NOT like the end result. Unfortunately, I had foolishly advertised the book before reviewing the manuscript, so when I rejected it, the project was dead with no replacement for it. Bill [Coffin] was supposed to tackle the job, but that didn't happen either. Sorry. You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Admittedly, there was a lot in there that in hindsight (such as not knowing that they were doing HU2 at the time) I would not have included... such as the revised skills and education section. I compliled all the skills, revised the charts, added loads of new skills, new rules for further education, etc to that

Depending on how it affected the final page count, the removal of the above may have affected proposal's acceptance. That's one hypothesis.

When it was cancelled, Kev confessed, and Bill confirmed, that though they had the book for four years Bill was the only one who had read it when it was shelved. So what exactly is Kev talking about in that quote? Also, Kev never did tell me what was wrong with it, so I can't even guess.

I would also like to note I found Kev to be a really nice guy. I very much enjoyed the conversations he and I shared (some times till, or even starting, early in the wee hours...) and miss those discussions quite often. He is a very witty and insightful person to talk to.

That seems to mesh with the infamous Bill Coffin rant from the RPG.net forums. As that post is a hot potato, that is as far as I am going to mention. On the bright side, your second paragraph indicates that you don't seem bitter over the experience. You could try to approach KS about the possibility of a rewrite. Of course, if he disagreed with some of your concepts on a fundamental level, it wouldn't make sense that a rewrite occured

Heck, maybe in conjunction with a mail campaign, the Rifter could contain your material. That's another possibility of it seeing print.

All in all, I agree with the concept of sending letters to get a version of Hardware Unlimited in any form.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I, for one, would love seeing a book dedicated to the Hardware power categories. They are all a much under-estimated power category that shows much promise.

One of the major parts of the Hardware category that I felt was missing was monetary re-creations of specific powers. Sure, one of the power categories presented in PU2 gives options for the existance of mechanically created powers, but 0the inclusion of ways for existing Hardwares to re-create those powers was sorely lacking. They can reverse engineer those inventions by existing rules, but I think monetary means should be included.

Any Hardware Unlimited book I can conceive of may include a few new categories, but beyond that will only inculde new specs for different weapons/gimmicks. There may be a few skills for our comsumption, but what else do you need? Weapon specs, vehicle customisation specs, and modified reprints are all we will see. Sure, some new, some old.

I've always figured a HU based Robots Unlimited(or maybe a better name "The Machine") would be a better supplement. Focus for the meat of the book on robot and bionic specs. Supplemental material that does not exist elsewhere. Throw in a "Making The Machine" section on Hardware based chars with an emphasis on HU2, but that contains Rifts conversion material.

So, to summarize,
A big book of Hardware would be nice. But, a book focusing on robotics in the HU2 universe would be a better choice, with a minor focus(rules for) on emulation of other categories being supplementary to existing Hardware rules.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Writers Block wrote:Hardware Unlimited addressed ALL the tech classes of HU; Hardware, Robotics, Cybernetics, Bionics...and ones I created. That was the point. I pitched it as the one stop source for all the HU high tech classes, with Hardware being the broad overview. Some of the new things included the modification of the robot class to include Robot Pilots and Robot Builders...

It sounds like a an interesting book that should have been published. Ah well another missed opportunity on Palladium part.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Writers Block wrote:I did not know KS had commented on it in Rifter 20. I may have to go get it. I would like to say this though, not so much as a "challenge" (don't get me wrong) but as a query. When I first started Kev told me they give a freelancer the option of a rewrite if they don't like the end product. I was given no such. When it was cancelled, Kev confessed, and Bill confirmed, that though they had the book for four years Bill was the only one who had read it when it was shelved. So what exactly is Kev talking about in that quote? Also, Kev never did tell me what was wrong with it, so I can't even guess.

I would also like to note I found Kev to be a really nice guy. I very much enjoyed the conversations he and I shared (some times till, or even starting, early in the wee hours...) and miss those discussions quite often. He is a very witty and insightful person to talk to.

Kevin said he did not like it. I'm guessing if he didn't read it and Bill did Bill told him what was in it and Kevin didn't like that and made a decision that way? I'm curious, what did Kevin say to you, just that he was cancelling it?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Writers Block wrote:Hardware Unlimited addressed ALL the tech classes of HU; Hardware, Robotics, Cybernetics, Bionics...and ones I created. That was the point. I pitched it as the one stop source for all the HU high tech classes, with Hardware being the broad overview. Some of the new things included the modification of the robot class to include Robot Pilots and Robot Builders...

Oh. Cool.
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Writers Block would you by any chance be looking for a site to host an altered version of what you submitted? Or perhaps some of your unused ideas?
If so let me know :)
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Man that would be cool, but I don't think it would be legal Marco. :-?

Get those pens on paper people and send Kev the word!
From what I just saw of the content of the manuscript, I want it rewritten to be current with HU2ed and I want it on the shop shelves by yesterday!
:bandit:
Señor Siembieda, pienso que sus lectores van locos
:bandit:
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Wayne_Breaux
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Wayne_Breaux »

Writers Block wrote:I did not know KS had commented on it in Rifter 20. I may have to go get it. I would like to say this though, not so much as a "challenge" (don't get me wrong) but as a query. When I first started Kev told me they give a freelancer the option of a rewrite if they don't like the end product. I was given no such. When it was cancelled, Kev confessed, and Bill confirmed, that though they had the book for four years Bill was the only one who had read it when it was shelved. So what exactly is Kev talking about in that quote? Also, Kev never did tell me what was wrong with it, so I can't even guess.

Sounds a lot like the Nightbane tech book I wrote. Got canned and I really never got a clear indication why, which is strange considering much of the added bionics info I wrote got included in the Rifts bionics book and the Galaxy Guide bionics section. Maybe tech books are just cursed items around Palladium. :D
"Immatu Imperium da nai Palladium!"

New artwork can be found at http://wbreaux.deviantart.com
Wayne_Breaux

MrTwist wrote:I, for one, would love seeing a book dedicated to the Hardware power categories. They are all a much under-estimated power category that shows much promise.

One of the major parts of the Hardware category that I felt was missing was monetary re-creations of specific powers. Sure, one of the power categories presented in PU2 gives options for the existance of mechanically created powers, but 0the inclusion of ways for existing Hardwares to re-create those powers was sorely lacking. They can reverse engineer those inventions by existing rules, but I think monetary means should be included.

Any Hardware Unlimited book I can conceive of may include a few new categories, but beyond that will only inculde new specs for different weapons/gimmicks. There may be a few skills for our comsumption, but what else do you need? Weapon specs, vehicle customisation specs, and modified reprints are all we will see. Sure, some new, some old.

I've always figured a HU based Robots Unlimited(or maybe a better name "The Machine") would be a better supplement. Focus for the meat of the book on robot and bionic specs. Supplemental material that does not exist elsewhere. Throw in a "Making The Machine" section on Hardware based chars with an emphasis on HU2, but that contains Rifts conversion material.

So, to summarize,
A big book of Hardware would be nice. But, a book focusing on robotics in the HU2 universe would be a better choice, with a minor focus(rules for) on emulation of other categories being supplementary to existing Hardware rules.

Robots Unlimited is my next book project after I wrap up the first Atorian book. If all goes well, the Atorian book will be done and on the way to Palladium next week, but any release date would then be based on production and publication schedules, so don't expect it before the end of the year even if I do knock it out when I expect to.

Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Writers Block wrote:Admittedly, there was a lot in there that in hindsight (such as not knowing that they were doing HU2 at the time) I would not have included... such as the revised skills and education section. I compliled all the skills, revised the charts, added loads of new skills, new rules for further education, etc to that. It is pretty cool and my group uses it a lot.

The stuff I was proud of was that I delivered what I pitched: the one stop shopping book for all the tech classes. On the rules front I added artillery rules, the Armor Integration Method (brought PV more smoothly into line with AR and such), hacking rules, computer program creation and rules, sea combat, and more. I added new classes of Hardware (including mutant animals) as well as Mad Scientist...though I never really got a liking for the rules I created for their inventions...lossa new weapon and vehicle tech, revised budgets, class polishing (they all get the smae number of skills for one, and Electrical can actually build super gadgets...) and the like. New robot and cyber stuff was in there as well, from new classes to new gadgets. I also included new sheets for listing gadgets, and some real life stats of world records and such for comparison to your inventions. All sorts of side articles on GMing and such. All the people who read and playtested it over the years have loved it, and many of the mods are now the standards in my group's campaigns. Ah well, it was a labor of love for a class I love...I was hoping to share it with all of you...

What really sucked is no one told me it was not getting done. Remember Bill Coffin saying he got yelled at over a post? He posted that it was dead. I called Kev and found out they had killed it a month before and no one told me. Sukky.

If you extended it, then why have you not sent that in..? or did you?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Wayne_Breaux wrote:
MrTwist wrote:I, for one, would love seeing a book dedicated to the Hardware power categories. They are all a much under-estimated power category that shows much promise.

So, to summarize,

Robots Unlimited is my next book project after I wrap up the first Atorian book. If all goes well, the Atorian book will be done and on the way to Palladium next week, but any release date would then be based on production and publication schedules, so don't expect it before the end of the year even if I do knock it out when I expect to.

I thought your next book was going to be the super team one... that get canned or is it still on the drawing board?
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Wayne_Breaux

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Wayne_Breaux wrote:

So, to summarize,

I thought your next book was going to be the super team one... that get canned or is it still on the drawing board?

Still in line, but I'm jazzed to bang out Robots Unlimited so it's next. It really shouldn't take me long to knock it out at all (hopefully). One reason I am eager to do it is because if it turns out well I have a green light to bang out a mecha game using the robot rules...sooo, there ya have it. :-D

I am not a staff writer at Palladium, so I do not get book assignments that are set in stone. I write up a manuscript and submit it and if it rocks it gets published. That means if I bog down on something I have the freedom to move to something else that isn't stressing me out. This is why my schedule keeps shifting around. It's also why I am not writing the second Atorian book right after the first one as I had planned to. I need a break and something fresh to work on so I don't get burned out and trash the project through frustration.

Wayne_Breaux

Writers Block wrote:I for one would love to see RU come out. More tech stuff would be great with the glut of powers stuff right now.

Well, originally I was going to separate robotics and bionics to preserve the integrity of the classes, but I am now leaning toward putting both in one book and simply limiting bionics to the lighter end of the hardware spectrum. I'll get a better feel for it once I dive into the book.

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Since i play a mainly Tech HU right now (sort of Iron Man theme) either RU or the HU would be great.

Who do I have to sleep with to get it done :hug:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”