initiative

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sheldon_hild

initiative

Unread post by sheldon_hild »

what's the use of initiative. is there an advantage of having it. you and your opponent are both going to get there licks in anyway. does it matter if you hit first? i have never met an opponent that i could knock out in the first punch.

if you throw punches with an opponent for 3 rounds before he doubles over, does it matter who hit first on round 1 and 2.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

reasons why its good to have high intitive

head shots

critical hits

knock down effects

getting the first attack in
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I don't know about the other GMs but ive always used initiative as simply who hit first to stop PC vs PC arguments or to stop a PC from sayin that I was being unfair by letting the NPC go first. This only applies to what I call straight up fights where 2 or more people go to fight each other. theres always that quesiton of who reacted first?
Initiative answers that for you. This does not apply to sneak attacks, at least Ive played it that way. But after the first hit when the other guy recovers and they are squared off you need an initiative roll(that doesn't always happen as when the first hit knocks the other guy down and you just keep hitting him while hes down)
Also when you both have guns and it a draw type situation whoever shot first does matter. Another time when initiative matters is when your first move is to say pluck out your oppenents eyes with your thumbs. then who hit first matters then too. (yes i have done that as a character, it stops the fight right then if you succeed :-D )
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

If you win initiative, you can also opt to FORCE the bad guys to act first, then wipe the floor with them before they can do anything...ie: force them out of position/into the open, and fry 'em.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”