PU2 and Mutant Underground

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

PU1: was almost like a gag gift
PU2: had some intersting ideas
MU: could have been a LOT better. They could have revamped New Haven from the ORIGINAL HU> I don't have it but NMI does. I took a look and was very impressed with it and the game (although not the typesetting lol). Right now I am trying to figure out a way to handle creating a new haven type of city
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Re: PU2 and Mutant Underground

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Rifter_Richeta wrote:Though, I do find it highly suspect that PB didn't just combing PU1 and PU2....trying to line the wallet methinks. :P

I disagree with the notion that PB should have combined PU1 and PU2 into one giant book. The two books are completely different in their areas of focus. The only thing I would have done different on these two (aside from changing the font to a serif typeface, of course :D ) is yank the super abilities from PU2 and sub them in for some of the more lame/redundant ones in PU1 (Don't worry Richeta -- I wouldn't touch your APS: Wood!)

PU1 was powers, and nothing but... and I thought it was a necessary addition to HU overall as it opened up the door to a much wider variety of super abilities and their combos. The only downside IMO was that some of the powers seemed rather redundant, particularly the "Immune To _____" and "APS: _____" ones.

However, PU2 does not seem to be quite as necessary as PU1. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book with a lot of fascinating expansions on established themes with a few good original ones thrown in (the only one I don't like is the Master Of Ancient Weapons, and that's because I felt it's still a little too vague to be easily playable). It's rewarding, but not essential in the fact that you can still get something close from the categories in the HU2 book. I still recommend that folks pick it up though.

Oh, and one last thing... if you're a writer or artist, having credit on two small books looks much better on a resume than only one.

Do not eagerly bite the hand that credits you, young Grasshopper... :lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
KillWatch
Champion

to me PU1 was full of Clock Manipulations take that for what you will
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Mr. Montague wrote:to me PU1 was full of Clock Manipulations take that for what you will

Well, even Clock Manipulation can be useful under the right circumstances...

But you're a great example of a reason why the two books should not have been combined. If you don't like one you don't have to bother yourself with it.
KillWatch
Champion

well yes and no
I would have bought them both anyway just in case there was something mintuely cool

and yes Clock Manipulation can be useful in the right circumstances but that's not how you want to envision a character is it?

I AM THE GREATEST PROTECTOR THIS CITY HAS EVER SEEN
I AM THE PARAGON OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE
EVIL TREMBLES BEFORE ME
(so long as evil is being done between the hours of 430 and midnight with a half hour lunch at 8)
BEWARE MY WRATH VILLAINS FOR I AM VENGEANCE
(beware as long as your power are clock related)

and yes I remember the big argument about Clock Manipulation and how it can throw off all kinds of electroncis etc but really is it really a Super Power?
what's next TOASTER MANIPULATION?
3 Legged Squirrel Control?
or the infamous Falling Toilet Power from Stuper Powers?
how abour Armpit Hair Tentacles
Sneezinator (the ability to cast a sticky goo substance from the nasal cavity)

Some powers deserve the title others not so much
Uncle Servo
Champion

Mr. Montague wrote:well yes and no
I would have bought them both anyway just in case there was something mintuely cool

and yes Clock Manipulation can be useful in the right circumstances but that's not how you want to envision a character is it?

I AM THE GREATEST PROTECTOR THIS CITY HAS EVER SEEN
I AM THE PARAGON OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE
EVIL TREMBLES BEFORE ME
(so long as evil is being done between the hours of 430 and midnight with a half hour lunch at 8)
BEWARE MY WRATH VILLAINS FOR I AM VENGEANCE
(beware as long as your power are clock related)

and yes I remember the big argument about Clock Manipulation and how it can throw off all kinds of electroncis etc but really is it really a Super Power?
what's next TOASTER MANIPULATION?
3 Legged Squirrel Control?
or the infamous Falling Toilet Power from Stuper Powers?
how abour Armpit Hair Tentacles
Sneezinator (the ability to cast a sticky goo substance from the nasal cavity)

Some powers deserve the title others not so much

Oh, but you forgot about the ability to rotate one's buttocks! :lol:

It appears that Clock Manipulation is to you what Iron Will is to me. That's the one downside of the whole 'all powers are not created equal' thing.

On the other hand, the great thing about HU and the Palladium system in general is that you don't need all the books to enjoy playing. It's still possible to take nothing but the HU2 core book and have a great campaign.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

i think every one of those powers in the PU's have some people that like them. i like a lot of them, but some im ambivalent, and others i dont care for. just because one person doesnt like some powers doesnt mean they arent any good or arent useful. i have my opinions on some powers in the PU books and even in HU2, but i dont think any of them are totally without merit.

i personally like a majority of those powers, and most of the PU2 power categories, but only about half of the book. (lots of book was filled with eugenics (a good addition, but felt to me like a splicers ad) and gestaults (which i also like but had lots of repeated text))
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Well I finally ordered PU 1 & 2 this week (couldn't pass up that two-for-one deal in the online catalog), so at last I shall know what the heck you're all talking about (well except for the stuff about Mutant Underground :p ).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”