Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Count the Bullets!
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:21 pm

Wanderer

Even without SDC enhancing powers, most characters can take a half dozen rounds without dropping. Some of the bricks can soak up hundreds. Are blood loss and surgical expenses a bigger problem than actually getting shot for most heroes/villains?

Post subject: Re: Count the Bullets!
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:48 pm

Adventurer

Well, I always considered losing SDC to be, "Oops, I sprained a muscle.", "Gosh, my elbow is sore.", etc. Only when you get down to losing HP is it the "sucking chest wound", the bullet smashed a bone, etc.

Just because, by his roll, he hit me with his gun, doesn't mean "he hit me". I could have saw him pointing the gun in my direction, I yelled "Oh doodoo!" and dived to the ground and busted my face on the sidewalk, skinned up some elbows and lost xx SDC whilst the bullets zinged over me.

It's a game, everybody's playing it the same way (well, except for the GM who doesn't want the villain to die just yet :lol: ), so leave reality out of it.

If you want realism and thus, complications, play Phoenix Command. It has 999 hit locations - Bob, you just got shot in the right index finger, 2nd joint! Or the Aftermath/Morrow Project apoch game.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:58 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
Blood loss is the big problem. Every hit that breaks skin (blades, bullets etc) Causes you to lose one point of damage per ...minute (at least i don't think it's melee, i could check, later). So, yeah, you might be fine for a while but even getting shot once is life threatening if there's no one with medical skills around.

Besides, HEROES in heroes unlimited (regardless of category) are more than human, so fighting through the (potentially deadly) pain is part of the role.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:01 am

Wanderer

Do your characters ever have trouble finding a doctor to remove bullets? Or does most of your combat involve blades, energy blasts, and hand to hand combat?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:50 am

Explorer

more and more nowadays i am starting to think that every bullet and knie wound or damage that is actualy designed to penetrate skin should not only be an sdc damage but have a little bit of hp damage toa ccompany it
like one poit per stab or 1/4 damage or something on that order

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:44 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
Daemon Ward wrote:
Do your characters ever have trouble finding a doctor to remove bullets?
YES :demon:

Or does most of your combat involve blades, energy blasts, and hand to hand combat?

My players probably think i use too many bullets... :)

the drunken werebear wrote:
more and more nowadays i am starting to think that every bullet and knife wound or damage that is actualy designed to penetrate skin should not only be an sdc damage but have a little bit of hp damage to accompany it like one poit per stab or 1/4 damage or something on that order
I don't know about knives, but in the point-blank rules (IIRC) it specifically states that if the GM wants guns to be more deadly you can roll on those tables every time someone is shot. That's a little much for me though.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:37 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

In my heroes game all firearms do HP to "normal" heroes, only those with Altered or truely "super" powers get to "bounce" bullets off their chests. Then again we like a grity and mean game. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:50 pm

Prince of Powers

Stuff it, it's a heroes game. I let bullets smack into sdc, and let the players moan.

Of course bullets kill everybody eles. everyone else has, what, 10 SDC.

Besides, if humungo man is going to wet himself when little boy blue comes out with a zip gun then all the superheroes are going to hang up their capes and get on with their lives.

As to the question, Most players end up with some sort of medical skill amidst the group. It's a little metagaming, but when characters get rolled up most of them start asking each other 'who's going to take paramedic?'

It is NO FUN to be killed by a little miscellaneous blood loss otherwise.

Batts