Creative "Abuses" of Powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Creative "Abuses" of Powers

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well I've had to deal with a few.

The Classic materializing something inside of someone as an instant kill attack, ie teleporting a pen into someone's head, becoming tangable with a pen inside someones head . . . I guess the pen really is mighter than the sword.

I had to deal with, localized weight manipulation, "I make his (man part) weigh 100 pounds"

Usually stuff where the player thinks they are being smart but are really just pissing me off. . . I try to remind my players that the enemies are only as smart as you are, ie. if you want to teleport a pen into someones head, don't be suprised when they do the same to you.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Did you know that insects are classified as animals? They are...

"So?" you may ask... well, a ruling on my part that I came to regret ties into it. A player in one of my old campaigns had Animal Metamorphosis, and rolled the "any and ALL animals" for type(s). Yes, I did allow him to morph into insects as well (for the above reason).

During one battle, he morphs into a flea and lands on a baddie's head. On his next action he morphs into an elephant. :eek:

After that campaign, I instituted a "no morphing into insects" house rule that I still hold to today.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

And he didn't instantly try to morph into a miniature tree frog or pygmy shrew or hummingbird or something? TeenTitans definitely makes you think twice about letting that power in..... A guy who can turn into a full-size T-Rex can certainly cause a wee bit 'o trouble.

I think the T-rex is fine, look at the other powers that are floating around. A whack of sdc and a bite attack isn't unbalancing when the next guy has exploding multiple selves. It isnt hard to come up with a good combo, such as oh x-ray vision and control others. Generally the idea is to keep everyone in the same power bracket.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Negative Matter and Wieght Manipulation....Freacky scary is you suddenly raise your weight to five ton(you don't move but everything around you is pushed aways with unbelievable might)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

Unread post by Guest »

horrible power stacking includes things like Karmic Power and Slow Motion Control...

i rule that you subtract your normal bonuses to S/P/D from 20 (so a 3 to s/p/d/ leaves 17) and make that a MINUS to your s/p/d

as the rules are now, Slow Mo makes you - 1/2 and Karmic makes you - all...

so the sonic speedster and the average shmuck are both in the same boat...

but if you do it my way, the speedster is only at say negative 4 to s/p/d where the shmuck is negative 17...

nasty....

especially with a third major power (like an APS power)

Regen: Ultima+Indestructible Bones, Impervious to Psi, Impervious to Magic=one annoyingly unkillable wimp...
Uncle Servo
Champion

Murasame wrote:Regen: Ultima+Indestructible Bones, Impervious to Psi, Impervious to Magic=one annoyingly unkillable wimp...

I'm one of those who maintain that there is no such thing as a truly 'unkillable' character. Extremely difficult to kill, sure (and plenty of 'em), and some that require innovative ways to do so, but not unkillable.

This character would still need to breathe, eat, drink, etc. Encase him in metal and watch the fun.

On the other hand, it's not always necessary to KILL a character... :demon:
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Uncle Servo wrote:Did you know that insects are classified as animals? They are...

"So?" you may ask... well, a ruling on my part that I came to regret ties into it. A player in one of my old campaigns had Animal Metamorphosis, and rolled the "any and ALL animals" for type(s). Yes, I did allow him to morph into insects as well (for the above reason).

During one battle, he morphs into a flea and lands on a baddie's head. On his next action he morphs into an elephant. :eek:

After that campaign, I instituted a "no morphing into insects" house rule that I still hold to today.

A D&D campaign back in HS... (First Edition books, Unearthed Arcana was not yet out.)
A character shape changed into a flea (or other exceptionally small bug), flies into the devil's/demon's mouth, and while in the back of the thing's throat shape changed into an elephant - instant kill, rather messy, and in all honesty, I personally would have also ruled the character dead from damage caused by constriction as he broke out the thing's skull from the inside.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Uncle Servo
Champion

The Baron vonClogg wrote:How about using Shrink Objects to do something similar? Shrink a 200 lb scale bullet down to normal size, pack in the powder, and you've got the king of all expanding rounds.

I just had a scary thought... take a restrained opponent/victim, use Shrink Objects to reduce the size of some suitably large object (such as a filing cabinet) and insert said object into a randomly chosen bodily orifice of said restrained opponent/victim.

Once said object is firmly inserted, cancel the Shrink Objects effect.

On the other hand, this would be a handy assassination power -- shrink an item down to where it wouldn't be noticed in someone's food/drink and then wait until it's been swallowed.

Ewwwwww...
Uncle Servo
Champion

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:Karmic Power with any Energy expulsion...

"Dodge This!" <Zot!>

Make it worse. Add in divine aura. Need to roll HF check every round...

Ooooooooooo... :D

Unread post by Guest »

as for the regenerating guy, who knows if suffocating him would necessarily kill him, but there are ways around that (heck, a new immortal avatar doesnt eat or breath if im correct, plus he would be likely to be annoyingly self righteous and inept with human society)

but yeah..

i totally glossed over the ultimate super power swiss army knife.

Multiple Beings
Copy Animal Attributes
Animal Metamorphisis (all)

make a dupe, the dupe turns into a rhino, you copy it, you now have SN p.s. and hardened skin and whatnot...

make another dupe, that dupe turns into a big cat, your first dupe copies it, and the second dupe turns into say, a sparrow to act as a spy whilst you two newly minted powerhouses go crazy on some poor fool who was robbing a bank with his buddies.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Aegis wrote:Here is another one I have posted in another topic but here goes.

Take copy physical structure and then have gem powers. and carry around only one of each type of gem and when you want to use the gem powers you copy the physical structure of that gem and then use the gem powers drawing of of your structure. that way you dont use up gems like crazy. Some people think, myself included, that there should be some damage to your new physical structure from drawing on yourself, so add in one of the super healing powers and you will be healed in a matter of melees. I guess this is one of the creative aspectes.

Aegis

You'd either kill yourself because the gems get destryoed after so many usages or you just wouldn't be able to get it to work since doesn't the power say you can't substitute in man made gems?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Herald of Shadow wrote:the above should work in conjunction with every other power & skill that offers bonuses to PE (heck I created a growth character that was able to get to 96' tall. :eek:
as for the shunken items, it would make a good assassination power for that reason. as well as a way to limit how many xp's you give to your players as they'll probably be acting against their alignment.

Not if the character using Shrink Objects is an NPC assassin... :demon:
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Or a Player Character assasin...
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

amodernheathen wrote:Most underestimated power for abuse: Clock Control

Hero (With Clock Control): Dang that robots big!

Buddy:Yup. We're toast.

Hero:Hey!

Buddy: Yeah?

Hero: Robots are run by computers right?

Buddy: Yeah. So?

Hero: So computers need really perfect timing to handle the millions of calculations per second!

Buddy: Thank you, that lesson is deeply appreciated. Now in the ten seconds I have to live, I can get my degree in computer science.

Hero: In order to keep track of these computations, a computer needs a VERY precise clock.

Buddy: (Pause) Say, don't you do that thing with clocks?

Hero: Yeah!

Hehe, EXACTLY, I have a character with clock control, people think that it's minor . . . and it is minor . . . except for the fact that if you stop a computers clock it doesn't work, so it is indeed very potent.

also my team would have loved to have that character around when the other guy failed his demolition disposal skill roll :-)
Uncle Servo
Champion

amodernheathen wrote:Most underestimated power for abuse: Clock Control

Hero (With Clock Control): Dang that robots big!
Buddy:Yup. We're toast.
Hero:Hey!
Buddy: Yeah?
Hero: Robots are run by computers right?
Buddy: Yeah. So?
Hero: So computers need really perfect timing to handle the millions of calculations per second!
Buddy: Thank you, that lesson is deeply appreciated. Now in the ten seconds I have to live, I can get my degree in computer science.
Hero: In order to keep track of these computations, a computer needs a VERY precise clock.
Buddy: (Pause) Say, don't you do that thing with clocks?
Hero: Yeah!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Behold -- another vital piece of evidence in favor of the "No Useless Powers" argument!

:ok:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

With a bit of imagination, and a bit of fast talking from the GM, you could used Create FF construc to make your char into the most fasion contious char of the group. By using the CFFC to make the clothes they wear.
sheldon_hild

Unread post by sheldon_hild »

a player in my current campaign likes to use color manipulation to turn his opponents eyes black effectively blinding him. of course i give the opponent a save vs magic to defend that cheap attack
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

sheldon_hild wrote:a player in my current campaign likes to use color manipulation to turn his opponents eyes black effectively blinding him. of course i give the opponent a save vs magic to defend that cheap attack

color manipulation seems useless at first glance, but i think it should be a major. all the things you can do to screw with people, and none of it requires a save.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Yukon wrote:
sheldon_hild wrote:a player in my current campaign likes to use color manipulation to turn his opponents eyes black effectively blinding him. of course i give the opponent a save vs magic to defend that cheap attack

color manipulation seems useless at first glance, but i think it should be a major. all the things you can do to screw with people, and none of it requires a save.

I don't know that I'd make it that easy to turn someone's EYES black... maybe a called shot with penalties. Now a face plate or visor/goggles, that'd be another story.

I think Color Manipulation is a minor ability kinda for the reason you gave -- it's a great power for screwing with people, but it's not a real lethal ability in and of itself. However, I will agree with you both that in the hands of a cunning and inventive player character it can be downright nasty!

You could turn a brick wall transparent, then stand on the other side and taunt an opponent into charging you!

Turning a hand weapon transparent gives the impression you're unarmed... until it's too late!

Turn a section of a bridge transparent just before the onset of Rush Hour and watch the fun!

Changing the color of a getaway vehicle increases your chance of success ("Hey, aren't we looking for a Honda Civic like that?" "Naw, that's a blue Civic... we're looking for a RED one.")
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

One of the other players in the PFRPG campaign I', in wants me to use a colour rune to turn the whites of her eyes red... >chuckle<
Fnord

Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

Herald of Shadow wrote:a character with APS: Metal & Karmic power. to do any damage to him, you needed to roll a natural 17 or better to hit them (KP cancels all bonuses to strike, parry & dodge).

A couple of people replied to this so I feel compelled to clarify something...

Merely defending yourself from the badguy is not enough to trigger the effect of Karmic Power.

This power is reserved for the Superman/Goku types. Im not talking power levels either.

Now if the guy you are fighting is standing between the deactivation switch for a Doomsday device that will kill thousands, if not millions of people, then you can expect to see the benefits of KP.

Sad as it is, even getting jumped in an alley is not enough for KP to kick in.
I love a good fight...
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

How about these 2?
1) Multiple Selves and absorb Biomass? Just create a few copies of yourself, and absorb them in and viola, triple SDC! When you are done fighting, pop out the dupes and "reabsorb" the copies and do it all over again!

2) APS: Light and Bend Light? Is it possible to turn yourself into Light, and then "Bend" your bodyh to ultraviolet so you become invisible to the naked eye?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ten Tigers wrote:Sad as it is, even getting jumped in an alley is not enough for KP to kick in.

Unless your life is in jeopardy...as I recall, KP will activate in a life-or-death situation. However, that will not save your life, as you said, in a non-life threatening situation where in simple bad luck casues you to loose your life! (ie: trip or slip and fracure your skull)
Fnord

Uncle Servo
Champion

Aegis wrote:I cannot remember which poster posted this combo before so I will give you credit when you tell me who it is :lol: .

Mimic and the psionic power of Total Recal.
So the more super powered beings you run into the more of a power base you can build up. I am going to try this with an npc and see how it goes, i dont think its too much just a nice idea.

Aegis :-D

I'd say this was a non-workable idea, at least the way you put it.

The psionic power of Total Recall is described as, "The character remembers every word he reads. Specific blocks of information can be recalled in perfect detail at will."

The important word here is READS. As powers are not copied by reading them, then I'd say Total Recall can no more help you retain powers than a soggy paper towel can help you retain molten lava.

Now, if you went into 'ultra-research' mode and studied everything there was to know about a particular super-being and his/her powers, then I might give you a percentage of success in duplicating said powers based on the amount of research you did... but if your intention was to go up to Hellbent, shake his hand, mimic his powers, and then the next day try and run at Mach One then I'm afraid I as a GM wouldn't even consider it.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Isn't that a Bill Coffin Century City character?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
sheldon_hild

Unread post by sheldon_hild »

you use animal metamorphosis to change into a owl and swoop down and from behind the villian. at the right distance change back into human form doing an arial born leap kick. burying your foot into the villians spine at 30mph is a good motivator for the villain to reflect on his darks ways.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

A couple actually here goes:
character had bend light used it to seperate color bands and blind a character that another PC was fighting to allow that PC to get a better chance of hitting him on his turn(it was a melee battle)

gravity manipulation : character was leading someone lightened gravity and convinced other person that there was an magic jumping spot to get to other side over a cliffside then increased it when guy was jumping to make him go splat really hard.

another char had afs fire and hid and lit a bush on fire.....you can guess what he did next.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

prophet118 wrote:im not sure i get the whole karmic power problem.... did they change it in powers unlimited 1 or 2?...

in the main book the bonuses at most would only give a bad guy a -1 to strike against the karmic guy..

did i miss something?

what are you talking about?? im not aware of a karmic power "problem".
powers unlimited one and two has new powers. buy them.

try reading karmic power. its pretty cut 'n' dry.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

prophet118 wrote:
Herald of Shadow wrote:a character with APS: Metal & Karmic power. to do any damage to him, you needed to roll a natural 17 or better to hit them (KP cancels all bonuses to strike, parry & dodge).

this was what i was referring to..

this person has misread karmic power.

no, i think you have misread it. read the "Note:" part.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Intangibility and Electric Field. aka a killer cloud.
Alien Mineraloid with Shrink and W-flight (a pepple that shrinks to a . flies
into your ear then decides to grow.
Invulnerability and Karmic Power (I won't allow anyone to possess this
combo).
Had someone in first addition to APS-water and growth. It was scary!!!
APS-Shadow and Create Darkness. This combo was annoying!!!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Here's one for you... hardly lethal (well, in this case anyway) but it was a twist I hadn't seen before.

My group is in a 'sparring match' session with an NPC, with the object to simply be able to touch him before being tagged by various automatic systems (think a Danger Room session at the Xavier Mansion). One of the PCs (with the Teleport ability) is having an attitude moment (he and the NPC don't get along) and so is sitting on the sidelines when he changes his mind and decides to join the fun. He teleports to a point directly above the NPC and lets gravity do the rest as he lands on top of the NPC and sends 'em both to the floor.

The PC was the only one during the exercise to actually succeed, and it got me thinking that Teleport could easily become uber-nasty when combined with some other powers like Weight Manipulation...
Uncle Servo
Champion

prophet118 wrote:as for fun combinations, id really like to play a character with slow motion control, and super speed...heh :eek:

If that sounds impressive, then take a look at my co-GM's personal character in our Loralton campaign: Sonic Speed, Slow-Motion Control, Heightened Sense Of Awareness, Lighning Reflexes, and Speed Tasking.

Incidentally, my personal character has the following: Alter Limbs, Adapt To Environment, Alter Physical Body, Flight: Winged, and Healing Factor.

For what it's worth however, our personal characters won't get heavily involved in campaign events unless the PCs find themselves in more trouble than they can handle... which is not all that likely IMO (we've got some great players). :D
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

For an interesting combo I posted in a different thread.

Darkness Control, APS: Plasma.
Keep the darkness focused on you. So, the heroes want to fight. They will not find the controller, per se. They will find a burning ball of superheated gas. So, while trying to find the creator, they will generally encounter some serious damage.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Another power combo posted on another thread.

Sonic Flight, Supernatural Strength, Shrink(full mass, period sized).

A person who can shrink to the size of a period, and carry villains to jail extremely fast. Beyond the rules printed, just think of what would be done by a hero that is very, very tiny and strong enough to toss people around like paperweights.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I tried a variation on that. I had shrink, flight wingless and super e-expulsion electricity. Fly through a guys eye into his brain and let loose. That character got voted down within 5 mins of play.

On another note the matter expulsions lead to awkward combinations since they aren't bound but the limitation on physical altering. You may not be able to have multiple(selves) APS steel heros but steel coated is darn close
Boother

Unread post by Boother »

Uncle Servo wrote:Did you know that insects are classified as animals? They are...

That cracked me up. :lol:

I've had Bio-Maipulation and a handy-dandy regular gun. Knock out a guy's motor control, then just stroll up, put the barrel of the gun to his temple and fire.

And Multiple Selves and Mimic. Copied beings can only use the originals powers except Multiple Selves. So they get created, use Mimic to take the duplication ability and go nuts on continually copying themselves. Of course this needed a fairly high level of villain to pull off (since copies start at lower level) and several had to "hang" together.

A variation on that is Multiple Selves and APS: Fire. Several clones surround a hero and do the supernova thing and the heroes plus all by-standers and several city blocks go bye-bye, while villains safe at home watching Family Guy. 8-)
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Kittenstomp wrote:Plant Control has the capability of being a really nasty power. Human beings eat a lot of seeds in their diets, from sesame seeds on top of burgers, to legumes, fruit seeds and more. This means that the average person has a variety of still-viable seeds in their digestive tracts. To limit the sheer destructiveness of such an ability, I allow the victim a PE save, plus it requires the PC's full concentration so if the victim or another person can distract the character they'll survive.
:eek: :shock: That. Is. Awesome. I'd probably require X-Ray vision for that to work, but still. Damn. :ok:
amodernheathen wrote:One possible abuse of power is one that I use in a story. The power Super Energy Expulsion enables a character to channel ambient energy in large quantities. In the story, he interrupts a ritual by a massive number of Vampires at a Ley Line Nexus trying to summon the Intelligence that created them. He draws the mystical energy through himself to disrupt the spell. Either it will kill him or evolve him into a supernatural being.
That's an interesting idea. I don't think it would affect the character too much, as his power supposedly is set up to let him channel the energy without interacting with it too much. I would probably treat it as a miscast spell, with a very high probability of the magic becoming sentient, corporeal and possibly resembling the PC in certain interesting ways. Could be really fun, and kudos to the PC who thought of using his/her powers like that.
prophet118 wrote:...no fair having a multi self copy having no powers... or even new powers..lol
No fair? Maybe. Fun? Quite Possibly :demon: .
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Hmmm...I was under the impression that most of the seeds in the human diet (as listed above) were sterile due to the processing & cooking, making it impossible to sprout.

As for channeling the PPE of a ritual...I could be wrong, but I think that the power only allows the hero to channel energy DIRECTED at him, and had no effect on ambient energy. Sorry...
Fnord

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Borast wrote:Hmmm...I was under the impression that most of the seeds in the human diet (as listed above) were sterile due to the processing & cooking, making it impossible to sprout.

since super powers stretch the "reality"of a setting and the Grow Plants ability of Plant Control is temporary you could say that it works any way
P.S. I personally agree with you but but this is just another way of looking at it.
Borast wrote:As for channeling the PPE of a ritual...I could be wrong, but I think that the power only allows the hero to channel energy DIRECTED at him, and had no effect on ambient energy. Sorry...

WRONGas the power specifically states( on the left column of page 293...)that it has a range of 600ft +20ft per lvl of exp.
although a agree that the exsamples only given are only 0 range ones.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

An npc I use quite often is a guy named Blitz
Super Sonic Speed, Multiple Selves, Adhesion, & Leaping

Or how about Sonic Speed and underwater abilities, I think the end result was like Mach 10 cant remember but it was funny watching our gm squirm in an underwater campaign

Or an internet power i used Explode Self(mj) APS Metal and Leaping
aptly named Shrapnel

Teleport and Negative matter, ouch! Mostly annoying but fun for the player
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

How about combining Immune to Lasers/Light(PU1) and Darkness Control to get and undispellable darkness.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Here's two:
A) Indestructable Bones, Anitomical Independance, and body weapons or alter limbs can be combined to create melee weapons
B) Indestructable Bones and APS:Bones ( from the rifter 9&1/2)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”