Powers Unlimited 3 - Wish List

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cardiac
Adventurer

Re: Powers Unlimited 3 - Wish List

Unread post by Cardiac »

As for Psionics - how about a "Super Telepathy" power - one with greater range and abilities?
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Cardiac wrote:As for Psionics - how about a "Super Telepathy" power - one with greater range and abilities?

Agreed.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Cardiac wrote:As for Psionics - how about a "Super Telepathy" power - one with greater range and abilities?

Heck, I'd still take the OLD Telepathy from HU revised edition where you could spend extra ISP and actually do a deep scan. But something with more range WOULD really be nice.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

Hey Everyone

Seriously If you have any Ideas go ahead and give to me, a lot of people are reading the thread but no one is posting ideas. Thanks Carmen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Carmen wrote:Hey Everyone

Seriously If you have any Ideas go ahead and give to me, a lot of people are reading the thread but no one is posting ideas. Thanks Carmen :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLEASE give us a good (official) telepathy power!

Daniel Stoker
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Once again I must lobby for a Cosmic OCC with new Cosmic level power conversions similar to the Mega. I would also like to throw in a Please. 8-)
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Ok this is what I want telekinesis as a major power
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

Well as for Cosmic heroes in a PU3, ........sorry but Kevin has put the kabosh on that one already, but Wayne B. might be able to slide them into a AU book? Kevin wants the PU books to be of the more general nature, so that they are applicable to all HU2 games. Sorry agian To get them published as official HU2 titles we must stay with in the scope of Kevin's vision for the game. In my own game I have had at least two "surfers" right along side of the streetfighter characters and have no real problem with it, but then again were talking "offical" and Kevin said :x NO :x in big unmistakable letters. I would love it but he feels too many munchkins would abuse it. So if I tried to put it in, they would just get cut and we would end up with a PU3 shorted seveal pages of other cool stuff we could have had, if we just played the game his way. Kevin's the boss and thats how it works. Thanks Carmen 8)
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

Hey Carmen, welcome aboard.

How about some official rules for taking the same power twice? I've seen several peoples takes on this but I'd like to hear from you. Also you should probably visit Baron vonClogg's site and see what he has to add. [edit] Here's the link.[/edit]
Preacher
Hero

Carmen wrote:Well as for Cosmic heroes in a PU3, ........sorry but Kevin has put the kabosh on that one already, but Wayne B. might be able to slide them into a AU book? Kevin wants the PU books to be of the more general nature, so that they are applicable to all HU2 games. Sorry agian To get them published as official HU2 titles we must stay with in the scope of Kevin's vision for the game. In my own game I have had at least two "surfers" right along side of the streetfighter characters and have no real problem with it, but then again were talking "offical" and Kevin said :x NO :x in big unmistakable letters. I would love it but he feels too many munchkins would abuse it. So if I tried to put it in, they would just get cut and we would end up with a PU3 shorted seveal pages of other cool stuff we could have had, if we just played the game his way. Kevin's the boss and thats how it works. Thanks Carmen 8)

Man that sucks big time but like you said he is the boss and has final say. Oh Well, I guess I will have to create one for my games. Still it won't truly be Unlimited till there is a Cosmic OCC. :x :( :x
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I really can't see how anyone could possibly have difficulty making characters on the level of the Silver Surfer or Galactus under the existing rules. A whole new power category for it would be redundant. And even if you find HU lacking in the cosmic power department, the Phase World books provide numerous alternatives.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Preacher
Hero

Tinker Dragoon wrote:I really can't see how anyone could possibly have difficulty making characters on the level of the Silver Surfer or Galactus under the existing rules. A whole new power category for it would be redundant. And even if you find HU lacking in the cosmic power department, the Phase World books provide numerous alternatives.

OK for instance?
Are you talking the powers in Galaxy Guide?
As for redundant, not it would no be for HU2 as Phase World is a Rifts setting so IT DON'T count.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Preacher wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:I really can't see how anyone could possibly have difficulty making characters on the level of the Silver Surfer or Galactus under the existing rules. A whole new power category for it would be redundant. And even if you find HU lacking in the cosmic power department, the Phase World books provide numerous alternatives.

OK for instance?
Are you talking the powers in Galaxy Guide?
As for redundant, not it would no be for HU2 as Phase World is a Rifts setting so IT DON'T count.

The HU main book, Galaxy Guide, and Powers Unlimited all have powers that mimic the so called cosmic level characters. Combine them with the mega hero powers, give them a few more powers than is normal for most characters, and voila, instant godlike superbeing.

Panther

Unread post by Panther »

I would love to see more discription on what's allowed with the power Divine Aura. It's easy to accidently overpower it as is . (I know this from personal experience.) :-D
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Jaegermeister has created a cool power and perhaps it worthy of takeing up three super psi powers and with a perminant ISP burn it could go with out a cost. At least thats my opnion.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

Daemon Ward wrote:
Kaptn Scorpio wrote:Hey Carmen, welcome aboard.

How about some official rules for taking the same power twice? I've seen several peoples takes on this but I'd like to hear from you. Also you should probably visit Baron vonClogg's site and see what he has to add. [edit] Here's the link.[/edit]

Wasn't there a girl named Runaway in Gramercy Island who had Sonic Speed twice?

The bonuses were just doubled IIRC. 8)

That's true, Runaway "enjoys double bonuses and benefits" from having taken Sonic Speed twice. That's ok for some powers but how does it affect Mimic? Would doubling up on A.P.S.:Metal give the character an A.R. of 34 along with the 1,600 S.D.C.? It's hard for me to tell on some things, that's why I would like to see more official stuff.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Carmen wrote: Sorry agian To get them published as official HU2 titles we must stay with in the scope of Kevin's vision for the game.

er....okay.....I just had visions of Kevin being like George Lucas. :lol:

In my own game I have had at least two "surfers" right along side of the streetfighter characters and have no real problem with it, but then again were talking "offical" and Kevin said :x NO :x in big unmistakable letters. I would love it but he feels too many munchkins would abuse it.

Well, its nice that he feels it might be abused by munchkins (Kevin...have you looked at Rifts lately?) but Cosmic heroes ARE a STAPLE of comic books. I don't care if HE thinks they might get "abused" (what the hell does that mean?). As GM, I would have final say on what gets used and "abused".

I remember back in Revised HU Kevin almost didn't put Magic characters in HU because "he didn't really like magic in comics" or something like that. And in HU 2nd ed he grudgingly put in "mega" heroes which really aren't that mega.

I think Kevin is letting his personal bias get in the way of other people's creativity and fun. I don't care if he thinks Cosmic Heroes will "unbalance a game." That's for ME to decide. It's just another level of power within a game that already has multiple levels. Besides, you can't claim to be "unlimited" if you install limitations.

I'm not really miffed about the "Cosmic Hero" bit, rather I am more miffed about effectively being told what is good for me and what isn't.

Let's just hope Kevins "vision" for Heroes Unlimited really isn't like Lucas' "vision" for Star Wars (Especially after seeing the first two prequels).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Hmm......how about this for PU3:

1) more Psionic powers (from Nightbane and Rifts).
2) more Magical Spells (maybe even lift the magic creation rules from Through the Glass Darkly).
3) A few alternate "Mystic Study" characters. If you assume the one presented in the main book is a "Wizard", I'd like to see HU versions of a Mystic, Necromancer, Temporal Mage, Conjurer, Warlock, Witch and Summoner/Shifter.
4) A chart for randomly rolling up supernatural baddies/demons.
5) An updated minor super ability list for the Ancient Master.
6) A chart for randomly rolling super abilities.

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Well, if you take away the ISP, you have to streamline the psionic characters. Having a finite supply of energy is the price they pay for versatility and sheer number of powers, just like a mage.

I would like to see an option where the psi can choose an area of expertise, get far fewer powers, but not have to pay ISP.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

More powers
More psionics, especially optional conversion rules for translating ATB2 Psionics to HU2.
Some NPC with the more 'second-class' powers, like the Extraordianry scores, Glow Bug, ect.
A few "quick-run" adventures, good ways to introduce the game to new players.
Hook, Line & Sinker style adventures.
Updates on some of the more memorable villains like Fabricators Inc.

That's all I can think of right now.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Jaegermeister wrote:

I would like to see the Psionic characters get away from the ISP, like the Telekinetic power that I posted. When did Psylocke, Prof X, Jean Grey, etc worry about ISP? They were zapping just as much as with somebody with Energy Expulsion. Maybe not Prof. X, but you know what I mean. Did Psylocke ever worried about manifesting her psi-knife for an intimidating factor to some two-bit thug, because of fear of burning up ISP that she might need later? Prof X and Jean had to concentrate NOT to use their telepathy. Also, this is the way it was in the movie Dreamcatcher (which is a required viewing for any psionic character player). Also, it adds a bit more to the character. Think of being in a classroom or a busy office being able to hear everybody thoughts, all at once. SHUT THE 'ELL UP! :x

What was that for?! I mean...that was the rudest thing i've ever seen. You attacked him for no reason! WHY?!.

And as for your whole argument on "Prof. X never had to worry about ISP?!" Of course he didn't....that was a comic book and this is an RPG! One has the writers imagination as rules, the other has set rules so noone makes the ultra munchkin of doom but with a reasonable limit so it doesn't stifle play. If you want to make psychics with unlimited ISP then i particle accelerate your character to he** and back. There, i won, huzah! Victorious! Oi Vey.....*shakes head* What people think up of....come back when you've come up with a better argument then "He did this in the comics! Blah blah blah!!" It dont win.
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Jaegermeister wrote:Some other superheroes RPGs would make a character with Energy Expulsion use it only a certain number of times per day (or if you rested up some you'll get back some points) with endurance (physical or mental) & level being the controlling factor. But in HU, one can fire all day long with energy expulsion. Why can't I do that with psionics? And while Psionics may have versatility and sheer number of powers, a lot of them while in real life would be alright to have but in a game (yank, yank). Also, I don't like the hodge-podgeness of what some characters can be. I like strict Pyrokinetics, telepaths, telekinetics, mind over body, machine interfacers, etc. And maybe a rare few could be two: telepath/tks. I don't like, Oooo Intuitive combat - I pick that, Ooooo Hydrokinesis - I pick that too, Ooooo, look at this Object Read, and this here - Precognition, how about Psychic Body Field, how many more I get? :x

Oh...some other RPG's do it? Damn...hey Kevin? Dude you out there? Ya...i think you need to redo HU..this guy here is telling me how other RPG's do it...what with unlimited ISP and stuff...and well...of course you didn't have your own version of things cuz we all know HU is based on Marvel.

Oh..wait IT ISN'T!! This is PALLADIUMS ROLE PLAYING GAME! They have their OWN rules!! Its that simple.

Agg! I'm getting off topic now....um..for PU3, like alotta people want, HARDWARE! And all that good jazz.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Jaegermeister wrote:Some other superheroes RPGs would make a character with Energy Expulsion use it only a certain number of times per day (or if you rested up some you'll get back some points) with endurance (physical or mental) & level being the controlling factor. But in HU, one can fire all day long with energy expulsion. Why can't I do that with psionics? And while Psionics may have versatility and sheer number of powers, a lot of them while in real life would be alright to have but in a game (yank, yank). Also, I don't like the hodge-podgeness of what some Psionic characters can be. I like strict Pyrokinetics, telepaths, telekinetics, mind over body, machine interfacers, etc. And maybe a rare few could be two: telepath/tks. I don't like, Oooo Intuitive combat - I pick that, Ooooo Hydrokinesis - I pick that too, Ooooo, look at this Object Read, and this here - Precognition, how about Psychic Body Field, how many more I get? :x

If you like more focused Psi-Characters then you can always pull in some of the O.C.C.'s from Psyscape, and in the lastest Nightbane: Shadows of Light. Or you can only take Latent Psionics and tell your characters they have to focus their picks. As to the ISP, for Hero's I changed it so that both P.P.E. and I.S.P. pools for a character can be regenerated in one 8 hour session of meditation. So if you have a level 1 Psi with 120 I.S.P. he can regen all of that in 8 hours or 15 for each our of meditation. Then at level 5 when he has 220 he now regens 28 per hour.

Daniel Stoker
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

I too have dramatically increased the rate at which ISP and PPE is regenerated, and usually give it a "per hour" value. it tends to give the characters a bit more endurance while they still have to worry about whipping out the "big guns" and draining their energy too quickly.

Unread post by Guest »

i play psychics as something like bursters, or zappers...

you've a specialty, and thats your strength...if your specialty is sensing, and knowing, you have telepathy, and precog, and sixth sense and see aura and mind bond...

but that super TK and body field aren't likely to be in your power list...

then there are Movers (Teke's) Bursters (Duh) Zappers (Duh again) Soakers (improved hydrokinesis more like how it used to be, or just a mix of Spiral/CEF Water) Punchers (Body Focus) and whatnot, if you have a good idea for someone who has psychic powers following a theme...

COOL, it flies with me if they all make sense...

but as it is, there is little reason to not load up on a very specific selection of the powers, and then pick and choose from whats left...

that just doesnt feel comic booky/anime-y enough for me...

too bland...

id like to see a more focused psychic character class, maybe with a random table for specialization, and specific benefits and penalties...as they are you are just a mind melter, a jack of all trades, which is in fact master of essentially all of them...

and no more Gestalt heroes, they are my least favorite palladium invention, ever, its like they are mocking the fact that ive never been lucky enough to find more than two players at the same time.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Preacher wrote:Man that sucks big time but like you said he is the boss and has final say. Oh Well, I guess I will have to create one for my games. Still it won't truly be Unlimited till there is a Cosmic OCC. :x :( :x

Followed by the mega cosmic. followed by the cosmic mega. Followed by the ultra mega cosmic (who will somehow also be a phase knight)

In all honesty, more power will simply invite calls for even more power.

I'm glad the line's been drawn.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

steelmax wrote:I think that adventures are a great idea but maybe it could be adventures unlimited. Id like more powers, spells, and psychics in the next book. You could also throe in a vigilante class.
more powers? what wasnt Powers Unlimited One enough for you? Psychics/ psionic powers would be cool. spells... just open up a rifts book...vigilante class... already exists.. The Hunter/ Vigilante OCC.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

The Deific NMI wrote:
steelmax wrote:I think that adventures are a great idea but maybe it could be adventures unlimited. Id like more powers, spells, and psychics in the next book. You could also throe in a vigilante class.

more powers? what wasnt Powers Unlimited One enough for you? Psychics/ psionic powers would be cool. spells... just open up a rifts book...vigilante class... already exists.. The Hunter/ Vigilante OCC.

Adventures? :nh: No no no! Most "corporate-made" adventures stink. If you want a paltry half dozen pre-made adventures - pick up the GM's guide. However, if you want ideas for hundreds of adventures that you can flesh out on your own, pick up Century Station and Grammercy Island.

More powers? Sure! There's ALWAYS room for more powers!!! :-D Just check out the "New Powers" thread here to satiate your hunger for the time being; viewtopic.php?t=19342

More Psionics? More Magic? I HEARTILY AGREE!! Not everyone wants to go out and start buying Rifts books for a few spells and psionics (although the Rifts Book of Magic and/or NB Through the Glass Darkly would be worth picking up if magic is a significant part of your game).

Vigilante character class? There's one in the main book (even if he IS a little heavy on the wilderness skills). Other than that - ANYONE can be a "vigilante" - in fact - most heroes are.

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Eryke wrote:Thought of More stuff I'd like to see in Powers Unlimited 3:

1)Official Mega Hero Options/Suggestions for Psionics, Magic and Hardware/Super Invention Classes.

Psionic characters can already be Mega Heroes in the main book. Gramercy Island in fact has at least one Mega-Psionic character in it. Some Psi-Related Mega Powers and adjustments would be neat though...

dakota
Wanderer

Unread post by dakota »

How about a little more info on combinations of super abilities for PU3?
I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick sounds like there is a cure....

Administrator of The Playground
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Cardiac wrote:Hmm......how about this for PU3:

2) more Magical Spells (maybe even lift the magic creation rules from Through the Glass Darkly).
3) A few alternate "Mystic Study" characters. If you assume the one presented in the main book is a "Wizard", I'd like to see HU versions of a Mystic, Necromancer, Temporal Mage, Conjurer, Warlock, Witch and Summoner/Shifter.

Cardiac you forgot the Techno-Wizard.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Zenvis wrote:
Cardiac wrote:Hmm......how about this for PU3:

Cardiac you forgot the Techno-Wizard.

Well, I had Palladium Fantasy magic classes in mind (and there are already Mystic Study characters written with Necro and Temoral leanings) and view each of the above as "specializations" of the Mystic Study character.

Besides...the Techno-Wizard is a little too "Rifts" and, at least IMHO, doesn't mesh well in a superhero setting (besides, we already have mystic object, mystic weapon and super-invention classes).

Ooo - what about the Illusionist Psychic character class powers in PF2 - Old Ones? Integrate them into the existing psionics list, but make the higher level ones only available at that level and require the previous ones be taken as prerequisites.

Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

If not a technowizard then a similar idea like a... Mecha-Wizard or something similar. A HU2 version of the Techno-Wizard. A bit more clumbsy and clunkier but powerful none the less.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Troy Xavier wrote:Sure, and you can do magical too as a Mega Hero, but the powers are more designed for Physical Training, Mutants, and Experiments.

Oh, I don't know... If you took a mage and made him a Mega, then you'd have something coming pretty close to what you might find in Rifts: Pantheons Of The Megaverse.

Maybe his system (through accident, training, or design) is so finely attuned to PPE energy that it acts like a mystic superconductor?
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
MrTwist
Hero

PU3

Unread post by MrTwist »

I have a few ideas for a Powers Unlimited 3 book.

As a player, and sometimes GM, I have been looking for more info on combinant powers. While I have seen ideas on how to combine powers(mainly within my own group) I would like to see something that not only gives rules on how to combine like powers(or even unlike) to facilitate new powers, but ideas on how to handle unforseen combinations.

When I say unforseen combinations, I mean someone who finds an interesting set of powers that should compliment each other but is not covered by current rules. How to integrate range, damage, duration increases.

Beyond that, I would like to see rules on how to develop new powers, especially those that deal with current power combinations. Like APS:Fire and APS:Wood. Does that create APS:Cinder, or Ash? APS combinations seem to be popular within my own gaming group(I wanna turn into this, but there are no rules for it).

I guess basically that would be variants on powers already existing. Maybe I'm the only one, but one thing I always enjoyed about the Marvel Superheroes RPG was Power Stunts. The ability to use your power in unforseen and creative ways. I know this HU, but some customization would be nice. If not as indepth as Champions, something would be nice. Maybe even including power weaknesses(Invulnerability to all but silver weapons, or mistletoe weapons, for example).

This series of books are called Powers Unlimited. Hardware Unlimited may come later on, but now the focus is on powers. I would love to see some new powers included in the book(Herb Powers, like Gem Powers or Copy Animal Attributes), but mainly a way to customize powers already existing.

Also, PU3 should include, either as an addendum or a first paragraph, FAQ's dealing with PU1-2, or clarifications on the new abilities presented(It may seem obvious to common sense, but not everyone believes Copy Animal Attributes cannot copy a displayed trophy head) in those books.

Discussions and professional opinions on how to make a hero might be interesting.

I guess to be quick, New Powers, Combination Powers(and rules to create such), ways to Customize powers, rules on how to create new Powers(inculding info on what defines a Major), and maybe some GM notes on repercussions of Super Hero actions in the real world.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”