Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Is Unnoteworthy a curse?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:52 am

Adventurer

Well, is it? Also, do y'all play it as it's always on? Will a person with this power be recognized, even by his parents & friends?

I play it as a curse and always on. Nobody wants to have it in my games.

Who was that masked man?

What masked man?

Ehh...exactly.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:50 am

D-Bee

I think cloaking would be more of curse. Obviously machine can't "see" you which makes most things automated or helpful suck, but then it also says people tend not to notice you. Cloaking basically turns you into the unwanted step child of the world, but unnoteworthy would be pretty bad too. It does say in the powers description though, that people forget what you look like and such AFTER you leave. So while in the presence of you're parents they should know who you are...I think. Maybe after your powers kick in and you leave them the first time, they can never remember you again, but I doubt it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:39 am

Champion

Depends on your chosen career path.

If you're a undercover detective or paid assassin, then it's a GREAT advantage.

If you're a rock star, politician, or fashion model, then yeah I'd consider it a curse.

And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:49 pm

Adventurer

Undercover detective: You tell your captain you need some backup to make the bust tonight. You leave him to go get some shuteye before the bust. He forgets you, your request for backup, and you're facing some gun-runners all by yourself. :?

Assassin: How are you going to make a big name for yourself if everybody in the blackmarket world forgets you? How will a fixer know how to contact you if he forgets you? How will you get paid? Surely, they get some up front based on reputation (which you have none and will NEVER have any). How can we agree on the second payment? On the phone, you tell me to send so much money to this Swiss account, you hanged up, and he totally forgets you and has a piece of paper on his desk with a series of numbers. What's this? He throws it in the trash.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:04 pm

no no....unnoteworthy works on people who see you face to face, they forget you afterwards...

which is ideal for say, a P.I. who doesnt want people to know him, or even pay him any mind...he can work just fine outside of the societal loop...

but over the phone, they will still keep in their mind who you are, at least as that guy they talked too on the phone yesterday and asked to kill their wife...

if they saw you as you came in to kill their wife, watched you do it, and then you left, they would be like...wait..who was that...what did he look like...was that the assassin i hired...i cant remember...

that, untrackable, and cloaking would be an ideal low powered combination for an assassin/superspy/private investigator.

course you could always hang out with psychics, they will remember you...

or...yes...im going there...

you could hang out at cheers, where everybody knows your name.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:40 pm

Adventurer

I'll give you the phone bit, but how is your PI ever going to get any work. A customer sees your ad in the telephone book, goes to the address, meets you and tells you her husband is cheating around on her and she wants proof and all. You tell her you'll handle it. She's goes outside and ZIPPP, coversation she had with you IS GONE from her mind. She remembers she has to find a PI to track her cheating husband, goes to a phone book and "any miny miney moe" again and lands on some other PI. She has two PIs on the jobs, she knows of only one. You call her after you got pictures of her husband. Woman: "Sam Spade? I didn't hire any Sam Spade. I hired the Moonlighting outfit. How did you know I hired a PI?" You busted your ass for nothing. :lol:

If you say in your newspaper ad that we have to have all business conversations on the phone. Uh-huh, that's a sure sign of a fleecing operation.

-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:21 pm

Adventurer

I think you're assuming that being ignored in the real world has dire consequences for an individual. It really doesn't. I've worked at enough businesses with faceless employees to know that you can work alongside someone every day for hours on end and not remember what they even looked like. They're bland looking people, people who "blend in" not necessarily disappear. Longtime associates will recognize the person when they see him even know his name, but if asked to describe him, his habits, what he looks like they'll draw a blank, "well you know, he's uh...average height, and he has brownish blackish hair, I can't remember his eye color, uh...he wears...suits."

The detective is rarely bothered by the police because they just don't remember that much about him or care, but he'll find it very difficult to actively confront police officers for information. The assassin will be so boring or normal looking his employer doesn't remember really what he looks like until he sees him again, might even do a double take. "Oh yeah, sorry, didn't recognize you."

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:21 pm

thats what im saying...you dont just automatically forget someone that you've been introduced too, met and spoken with...

but if they walked up, smashed the window of your car in, grabbed your stereo and ran off, you wouldnt be able to give a detailed description...

its called unnoteworthy, not makepeoplestupidthy...

the woman who called the P.I. would have a conversation with him, would know his name, and have entered into a deal with him, im sure all of that wouldnt go out the window when she left sight of him...

she might have trouble remembering what he looks like when she leaves...sure...

"did he have brown hair, or was he bald...eh, doesnt matter, as long as he nails my husband good"

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:46 am

Prince of Powers

I notice that unnoteworthy has a caveat that drawing attention to yourself will help people notice you. I'm pretty sure most deliberate interactions with others would be noticed. Not buying ciggarettes, or walking down the street, but saving pretty girls, or agreeing to blow your husband up in his Jedda probably would count.

Batts

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:05 am

D-Bee

Charlies Angels, the speaker box guy must have that curse :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:43 am

Hero

I think this topic is all dependent on how far the GM wants to take it cuase if it is truely a curse where no one remembers the character what so ever ( highly unlikely ) no NPCs would care or notice if he deiceded to say rob the bank or assasinate someone in the publics veiw or even have his fellow team mates remeber hes even a member of the team if you want to take it to the extreme but all in all GMs call none the less

Lynx

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:39 am

Adventurer

I guess I seem to be taking the wording literally - "seems to be forgotten by all those around him" and "All those encounter him" (like meeting in an office) "or see the character in passing forget all the details about him or what he did a minute" (like accepting the case, gave her a drink of water because she was going faint she was so mad at her husband, etc) "after he passes by or leaves." And then it goes on "Yeah, he came over and I think he looked at the body." Well, does our lady in the upper scenario know for sure if he took the case?

-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:59 am

or see the character in passing forget...

key word there, you walk down the street, he bumps into you, steals your wallet, you may notice the wallet is gone, but you haven't a clue who did it...even if there are only two people on the street, you and him.

that i could see...

but talking to him, exchanging information, names...that would do it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:55 am

Adventurer

It seems you must have miss the "All those encounter him or"

-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:22 pm

but it doesnt say those who sit and meet the guy forget him...

it doesnt say his friends dont know him anymore once he leaves...

just that passerby's and people you dont actually talk to for more than a brief moment will totally forget everything about you...they will remember they saw someone though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:36 pm

Adventurer

I don't think I'd take it so far that people get amnesia after he leaves. That's implying a whole different power level..... Maybe a Major version would have that aspect, if the character wished.

Haven't played this power yet, but it'd be more like a sketch artist's nightmare than a psionic trick. You could have him in your office, hire him for a case, but if someone asked you describe his face or clothes you'd be strangely incapable of coming up with details. He'd be the kind of customer that a guy at the checkout counter won't remember specifically- He can remember selling someone a box of ammunition, can pull up the credit card receipt, but can't remember what the guy looked like or anything interesting that he said. With effort the character could hit on a girl at the bar, buy her a drink, and she might talk to him before losing interest, but later she wouldn't remember the specifics of their conversation or the details of his appearance. Of course, a girl looking for an anonymous relationship might actually like that aspect about him.....

Subtlety seems like the best way to play this power, IMHO.... It could actually create more frustrating situations for people tracking him down than all-out memory loss.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:54 pm

Champion

The way I understand it this actually turns the person into the ultimate "wall-flower person." This means that people will be unable to identify you UNLESS you do something spectacularily flashy (like commit a particularily gruesome murder while laughing and joking the whole time). But someone walks-up, shoots the person next to you to death, and walks-on after as if nothing happened, you could not pick the person out in a line-up for two reasons - shock, and the Unnoteworthy. However, if he shot your friend, then immediately started screaming, that would break the shock, and you would be able to identify him.

The PI or PD detective would work-out great - the bad guys, even if they KNEW you were an undercover "pig" would not be able to do anything about it, so long as he never used the same name more than once or twice when identifying himself! You would almost NEVER be able to identiy him as a tail unless he was particularily out of place (like the only caucasian in Harlem, or in the depths of China Town [in the main street is one thing, but in the alleys and such where the REAL business of a China Town occurs...]). Practical invisibility.

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:31 pm

Adventurer

I think its a pratial curse for sure. imagine trying to get a job with this power. No matter how well the interview went he will not be remembered. I would hate that myself, but there are the good parts too.

Aegis

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:13 pm

Adventurer

Or dates. You will never get within a woman's "Comfort Zone".

-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:12 pm

Adventurer

:lol: Thats true about never getting to far with the women. :lol:

Aegis

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Champion

Thisd discussion lead me to relaize a thing: ALL AND ANY SUPERPOWERS ARE ACURSE IF THEY'RE ALWAYS ON!!!
Do you think that Unnoteworthy is a curse? Imagine the gross problem of a poor guy with Anatomical indipendence ALWAYS ON(ohmygod my legs where ARE my legs!!!I've sleep walked again..)
Battle Rage and adrenaline surge are impossible to handle if one suffer of frenzy too(no cappucino...nnnnNNNOO CAPPPUCINO!!!! WHAT DIRTY COFFEE SHOP IS THIS GRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR)
Enlarge Body part it does have very funny effect (aww Myheadache is killing me-as everyone can see)
Enhanced leaping EX Speed and Sonic speed make even the simpler move a nightmare(Hey could you took me the remote control on the table-Yessuuuurrre-Ram at full speed against the table-ughhh)
Bouncing character had to reaaaalllly pay attention not to stumble or he will start boing around like a rubber ball(Ehh I'm sorry for your crystal ducks collection,and for the mirrors, and for the windows...)
Any FLight power will prevnet characters to ever touch terrain with some arthrophy problems presenting soon or later(Flight Energy will cause alittle mess in close environment ya know)
Any aura power will prevent any physical contacl at all..that's depressing
APS Powers well they are really well covered in comics, let's just say that yopu could easily forget your humanity, considering how detached from it you are.
And i could continue..this to say tha tunnoteworthy if always on could be a little curse, well ,duh :P , all powers are if always on.. :D