Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:42 pm

Wanderer

After looking over HU2 and the new PU books, I noticed that there was no power that augmented existing powers. The type of power that I mean by this is like Negate Super Powers but instead of negating the powers, it amplifies them. Has anyone come up with a Major Power that Amplifies other Super Powers?

My best guess would be that it would work like Negate Super Powers....
Amplify Super Powers (Major) - with a lot of burrowing from HU2

This power momentarily amplifies other superbeings powers while they are within range and/or the target of debilitate purpose. The power is a powerful, psionic type bio -manipulation bombardment that channels more energy to the control and use of the super abilities, effectively making them temporarily increased. The ability only affects so-called "super abilities" and is unable to amplify psionics, magic, mechanical abilities or physical training and skills. Being knocked out, or in tremendous pain, or forced to concentrate on something else (like defense) will instantly break the influence of the amplification. Of course the character can stop the amplification at any time.

Range: 120 ft plus 10 per level or cast it up to 60 ft away and covering a blanket area of 10ft per level of experience.
Damage: None- however if the target is amplified long enough, the target will "burn" self out from extraordinary power usage. After being amplified the target will be fatigued to the point of exhaustion (-2 speed and initiative, -1 parry and dodge, and -2 damage as taken from pg 16 HU "prolonged periods of combat or heavy exertion") Target will need a rest or suffer compounding fatigueness.
Limitations: Does not affect psionics, magic, bionics, or physical attributes/training or skills. Requires concentrating and focused on his target(s).
Duration: While the Amplifier is concentrating and focused on his target(s)
Attacks per Melee: The superbeing must concentrate and stay focused on the target of the amplification. This means he can only perform two other actions/attakcs per melee (defensive moves not included), unless he drops the Amplification. Skills are performed at -25% while concentrating.
Bonuses: The target's power is increased per the experience of the Amplifier's experience level. So a 1st level Energy Explusion: Energy being amplified by a 5th level Amplifier, could do a blast of 8d6 (3d6 normal plus 5 levels of the Amplifier. In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10%

Thoughts? Would this lend itself too much for unbalancing the game?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:00 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Well I like it. Where ya going to post it on the web?

My Blog and My Other Blog

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:54 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Enhance Super Powers
Scroll down a few powers.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:53 am

D-Bee

If I recall correctly, there is a super villainess in one o the source book's that has a set of gauntlet's that enhance her super powers, might be a good comparison for you to check out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:55 am

D-Bee

I like the power, but wouldn't a character with that power be bored just concentrating while everyone else is battling. Though on the other hand, it wouldn't be that bad of a power for a minor hero or sidekick character.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:15 am

Wanderer

Ogrr wrote:
If I recall correctly, there is a super villainess in one o the source book's that has a set of gauntlet's that enhance her super powers, might be a good comparison for you to check out.

I think that's Shock from the HU GM's Guide. Yeah, they were pretty neat, if only they didn't cause cancer after prolonged use (or was that tumors, can't remember right now, suffice to say that if you had them on for to long you died, or at least was severly messed up).

40 zombies + 1 M.D.C. chainsaw out of gas = RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:00 am

Adventurer

Dragon 1k wrote:
I like the power, but wouldn't a character with that power be bored just concentrating while everyone else is battling. Though on the other hand, it wouldn't be that bad of a power for a minor hero or sidekick character.

I think it would be good at critical times. The villain is flying away in his superduper armored up villain jet and the power enhancer enhances another character's EE blasts to take it down. I would change the "In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10%" to 10% per level though. Or you enhance a guy's strength to bust through something he couldn't whilest "normal". Or villain dropped a MOAB :shock: on the team and the power enhancer enhanced the forcefield character's forcefield.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:46 am

Wanderer

Zenvis wrote:
Well I like it. Where ya going to post it on the web?

I have do not have an internet home page so, it is just posted on the web here.

The Deific NMI wrote:
Enhance Super Powers
Scroll down a few powers.

Similar- I like that you have a save versus the 'enhance' but it really isn't the opposite extreme of Negate Super Powers because of the range (touch to initiate) and there is a duration to the power. I did like is the stressing that the power can't be used on self and the using ME attribute as a booster instead of the level of experience of the Amplifier. However that would then allow for your bonuses that you have listed which would off balance the power with its 'mirror' power of Negate Super Powers. Just curious, did you do the same type of upgrade for Negate Super Powers (ie range touch to initiate, save vs. power, and a duration of time instead of concentration)?

NecroTechno wrote:
Ogrr wrote:

I think that's Shock from the HU GM's Guide. Yeah, they were pretty neat, if only they didn't cause cancer after prolonged use (or was that tumors, can't remember right now, suffice to say that if you had them on for to long you died, or at least was severly messed up).

Thanks. About the only HU book that I do not own is the GM's Guide so this information was unknown to me. I think that I will check it out at my local hobby shop. I really like that there is a consequence for over-using the equipment that 'enhances' the powers (cancer). I wanted to reflect with this power that it is very draining to the recipient because they are essentially over working themselves via the Amplifier's power.

Jaegermeister wrote:
Dragon 1k wrote:

I think it would be good at critical times. The villain is flying away in his superduper armored up villain jet and the power enhancer enhances another character's EE blasts to take it down. I would change the "In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10%" to 10% per level though. Or you enhance a guy's strength to bust through something he couldn't whilest "normal". Or villain dropped a MOAB :shock: on the team and the power enhancer enhanced the forcefield character's forcefield.

I agree with Jaegermeister- the idea behind this power as a major is that when combined with other heroes/villians that it is an impressive power that would aid the team tremendeously. The only example that I can think of in the comics for this type of power would have been Synergy (from the old Stormwatch series), but that was more of 'awakening powers within a superbeing and this power is more of an amplification. Ultimately, if one can negate powers, why couldn't someone amplify powers?

Here is the update of the power based on my understanding of the discussion so far.
Amplify Super Powers (Major) - with a lot of burrowing from HU2

This power momentarily amplifies other superbeings powers while they are within range and/or the target of debilitate purpose. The power is a powerful, psionic type bio -manipulation bombardment that channels more energy to the control and use of the super abilities, effectively making them temporarily increased. The ability only affects so-called "super abilities" and is unable to amplify psionics, magic, mechanical abilities or physical training and skills. Being knocked out, or in tremendous pain, or forced to concentrate on something else (like defense) will instantly break the influence of the amplification. Of course the character can stop the amplification at any time.

Range: 120 ft plus 10 per level or cast it up to 60 ft away and covering a blanket area of 10ft per level of experience.
Damage: None- however if the target is amplified long enough, the target will "burn" self out from extraordinary power usage. After being amplified the target will be fatigued to the point of exhaustion (-2 speed and initiative, -1 parry and dodge, and -2 damage as taken from pg 16 HU "prolonged periods of combat or heavy exertion") Target will need a rest or suffer compounding fatigueness (see Palladium rules on fatigue/lack of sleep).
Limitations: Does not affect psionics, magic, bionics, or physical attributes/training or skills. Requires concentrating and focused on his target(s). Power can not be used on self.
Duration: While the Amplifier is concentrating and focused on his target(s)
Attacks per Melee: The superbeing must concentrate and stay focused on the target of the amplification. This means he can only perform two other actions/attakcs per melee (defensive moves not included), unless he drops the Amplification. Skills are performed at -25% while concentrating.
Bonuses: The target's power is increased per the experience of the Amplifier's experience level. So a 1st level Energy Explusion: Energy being amplified by a 5th level Amplifier, could do a blast of 8d6 (3d6 normal plus 5 levels of the Amplifier. In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10% per level of Amplifier's level of experience.

Continued thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:26 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Actually, I didnt make the power. Brett Hger did. Unfortunately I believe he is no longer online and only portions of his great site are still available.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:44 pm

*ponders how someone burrows into Hu2*

sorry, had too....borrowing...

but yeah, i like the idea, it meshes well with the new minor hero/sidekick in Pu2.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:57 pm

Adventurer

Quote:
Continued thoughts?

Okay, how does it affect the super strengths?

Also, some powers has duration and should be added to "In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10% per level of Amplifier's level of experience." Maybe the super strengths can be increased by 10% per level..."

Iron Will (PU power) has bonuses vs mind control. Does this power help those bonuses? Does it help the powers that have bonuses to save for poisons? Double the bonus?

Quote:
The only example that I can think of in the comics for this type of power would have been Synergy (from the old Stormwatch series),

Stephanie of DP7 (Marvel's old New Universe setting) had this power around the end of the comic. Went from being "just the healer" in the team to a very powerful woman. She could supercharge others and herself.

Fabian Cortez also had it. He was one of Magneto´s Acolytes and later the Upstarts.

There was also a member of a villain team from Marvel that had it. I thought it was a member of Psionex (New Warriors enemy), but I checked and it wasn't. But I'm remembering he was crazy and wore a hockey mask.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Last edited by Jaegermeister on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:05 pm

Adventurer

Murasame wrote:
but yeah, i like the idea, it meshes well with the new minor hero/sidekick in Pu2.

Ahhh, Munchkinism. Supe me up boy, Daddy has got to play.

I think it would be very good for a villain boss, like the aforementioned Fabian Cortez, who supes up HIS team and KICKS @$$. They listen to him because they're addicted to the POWER levels he gives them.

-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:53 am

Wanderer

Jaegermeister wrote:
Quote:
Continued thoughts?

Okay, how does it affect the super strengths?
Also, some powers has duration and should be added to "In addition ranges/speeds are increased by 10% per level of Amplifier's level of experience." Maybe the super strengths can be increased by 10% per level..."

Iron Will (PU power) has bonuses vs mind control. Does this power help those bonuses? Does it help the powers that have bonuses to save for poisons? Double the bonus?

To keep it simple and easy to use, why not just blanket all powers with a 10% increase of powers (range, damage, duration, etc). So if the power was Supernatural Strength it would also be increased by 10%, however the normal attribute bonuses like the +40 SDC or +2 parry that you recieve from Wingless Flight would not be increased by 10% but the speed of the flight would. How does that sound and how could you phrase it to avoid the power abuse that might be implied. The only thing that the 10% would apply to would be the "base" of what the power is (wingless flight is the actual flight, superhuman or natural strength is the strength, Iron will I would have to look up).

Quote:
Stephanie of DP7 (Marvel's old New Universe setting) had this power around the end of the comic. Went from being "just the healer" in the team to a very powerful woman. She could supercharge others and herself.

Fabian Cortez also had it. He was one of Magneto´s Acolytes and later the Upstarts.
-snip-.

Ah man, I completely forgot about Fabian Cortez! *feels silly* Over ten years of collecting X-men comics (1988 through 2000ish when they killed off Cyclops) and I forgot about the Acolytes! Thank you though for the other examples to show that this is a power that did at least appear infrequently in the comics which can be used to rationalize the need for this type of a power. I'm amazed that someone else recalls Psionex group from New Warriors (a title that I liked but after the death of Speedball, I just gave up on it).

Jaegermeister wrote:
Murasame wrote:

Ahhh, Munchkinism. Supe me up boy, Daddy has got to play.

I think it would be very good for a villain boss, like the aforementioned Fabian Cortez, who supes up HIS team and KICKS @$$. They listen to him because they're addicted to the POWER levels he gives them.

It would be an awesome power for a main villain to either amp up his low powered super henchmen or as a torture since after the use of the power the target is fatigued and feeling burnt out (fatigue is compounding). I also keep toying around with this idea as an NPC for my current group that I am running. I can also easily see the "slave" companion of a super villian that is used just for this power. So the uses of this power are there, the key is to find people who would trust you to use it on them and to be there for them when they are fatigued after the ampifying of their powers. Or as Murasame suggested by the uber bad guy that can function well enough after being fatigued, needing the extra jolt of power to dispose of those who stand in his way, acting in a way of the means justifying the end (removal of obstacles).

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:08 pm

Adventurer

How about another downside with this power, to reflect the "additction" aspects?

- Every minute of amplified power use, the character's natural power level is temporarily decreased by one level. This won't take effect until the power amplification has been removed, and the "victim's" power level can always be ramped back up to full by an amplifying character. Power levels will naturally restore themselves at a rate of one per hour of rest. There is a 10% chance per lost level that long-term effects will occur, requiring 1D6 days to regain a lost level. Long term abuse of this process can result in complete dependence on power amplification.

This would make possible a situation like Magneto's, where Cortez had been pumping him up on a daily basis. Eventually, all ~10 of his levels were temporarily gone and he couldn't fight back when Cortez betrayed him. I liked that guy..... Classic long-term story line.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:13 am

Wanderer

The Baron vonClogg wrote:
How about another downside with this power, to reflect the "additction" aspects?

Thanks Baron- I will use that...but as an optional penalty since it is either a lot for the GM or the player to keep track.

For your enjoyable and based on suggestions that I received thus far here is what the power looks like at present. Comments and suggestion are weclomed.

Amplify Super Powers (Major)

This power momentarily amplifies other super beings powers while they are within range and/or the target of debilitate purpose. The power is a powerful, psionic type bio -manipulation bombardment that channels more energy to the control and use of the super abilities, effectively making them temporarily increased. The ability only affects so-called "super abilities" and is unable to amplify psionics, magic, mechanical abilities or physical training and skills. Being knocked out, or in tremendous pain, or forced to concentrate on something else (like the ceiling falling down) will instantly break the influence of the amplification. However, the amplification last for a residual period of 1d4 rounds per level of experience, of course the character can stop the amplification at any time.

Duration: Length of concentration plus 1d4 melee actions per level. During the concentration period, the super being must focus attention on target. This means he can only perform two other actions/attacks per melee (defensive moves included), unless he drops the Amplification. Skills are performed at -25% while concentrating.

Damage: None- however if the target is amplified long enough, the target will "burn" self out from extraordinary power usage. After being amplified, just once in an hour, the target will be fatigued to the point of exhaustion (-2 speed and initiative, -1 parry and dodge, and -2 damage as taken from pg 16 HU "prolonged periods of combat or heavy exertion") Target will need a rest or suffer compounding fatigue ness (see Palladium rules on fatigue/lack of sleep).

Limitations: Does not affect psionics, magic, bionics, or physical attributes/training or skills. Requires concentrating and focused on his target(s). Power can not be used on self.

Bonuses: The target's powers are amplified by 5% per level of the super being. If power was Supernatural PS, then the PS of the target is increased by 5% per level. If power was Wingless Flight, then speed of flight is increased. Extra bonuses from powers do not apply, such as the +40 SDC from Wingless Flight- only the primary ability of the power. At high enough levels the super being can control the amplification percentage much like Energy Expulsion characters can control the damage of their expulsions.

Penalties: As side from the fatigued feeling after the power “high” the target during the amplification, will have problems controlling powers, such as shutting off powers, or using them for delicate matters, this is all subject of the GM.

Optional Penalty:
Every five minutes of amplified power use, the character's natural power level is temporarily decreased by one level. This won't take effect until the power amplification has been removed, and the "victim's" power level can always be ramped back up to full by an amplifying character. Power levels will naturally restore themselves at a rate of one per hour of rest. There is a 10% chance per lost level that long-term effects will occur, requiring 1D6 days to regain a lost level. Long term abuse of this process can result in complete dependence on power amplification.

Some explanations-
The power is set up like Negate Powers but with the exception that the amplification last 1d4 melee actions (not rounds) after the initial amplification concentration. This is because the body can not instantly release all the energy that it has been given. Much like an adrenline surge, the body needs time to work it through its system. Whereas Negate is just bio-manipulation which turns off powers this is a bio manipulative turning on that would affectively force the amplified target to calm down or burn out.

The use of the concentration is limiting to the super being and somewhat limiting to the target to avoid power abuses. The optional rule also can be applied by the GM for the special abuse cases.

The increase is only 5% per level instead of a flat 10% to allow the super being to grow with power. The more experienced the super being gets, the more he can learn to turn on others powers. This means that 1st level character can increase others abilities at 5%, at 5th level 25%, at 10th 50%.

Question- should the amplifier also be fatigued?